what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 439 Old 01-30-2004, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KidsCuisine frozen dinners. My son, a few years ago, when he was probably 13, pulled one of these out of the freezer in the grocery store. We looked at the ingredients list on the back and had a great laugh. The list was very long! Take a look.
#242 of 439 Old 02-02-2004, 05:08 PM

I just reminded myself why I don't watch kids shows on any commercial TV. We were watching cable at my grandma's and I saw an ad for Fruit Roll Ups with special food coloring that leaves a tattoo on the tongue!!!
#243 of 439 Old 03-10-2004, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

bump! i need a laugh.

a friend on the atkins diet : told me how delicious cold cut ham with chunks of cheese embedded is. reminds me of pickle loaf. i haven't eaten pickle loaf in...25 years but I can still smell it. shiver.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#244 of 439 Old 03-12-2004, 05:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ragdoll
[B]Pig brains in milk-canned.
No, I'm not kidding. I'm really, really,(cough-gag), serious.

YES!! I work at a grocery store and you would not believe some of the things people buy:

Chitterlings
Pig feet
Pig Jowls
Pig snouts
Tripe (cow tounge)
pigs brain in milk gravy
Pork roll
SOUSE LOAF!!!!!!!! I can even look at this, you can see all the entrails formed together with a gelatin goo to for a loaf like like slice.

:Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke

Or how about SCRAPPLE!

I don't like those lunchables, or kid cuisine, too expensive and they taste like &*^%.

#245 of 439 Old 03-13-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maizy
Have you seen packaged peanut butter, it comes in slices now like processed cheese slices. Its pretty gross. And such a waste.

PB Slices! These were developed by my Alma Mater! It made BIG news around here when they were first developed, and also when they were first introduced into the test markets.

Even though I would NEVER EVER buy them, nor eat one, and I think they are disgusting, (and I can't help but to crack up at the thought that someone couldn't SPREAD pb instead of using the slices) I can't help feeling it's kind of cool that my little alma mater developed a product to reach the masses. (True, I'd love it more if my school had developed an all-natural, organic food item, but you take what you can get in terms of fame, you know? LOL!)

So what that's it's gross and laden with preservatives and chemicals and fats and wastes plastic? My school invented that! LOL!!

When I was growing up, we only used Crest toothpaste, because evidently the Floristat was developed at my Dad's alma mater.

ETA: my dh just reminded me that parking meters were also invented at my alma mater!! So, everytime you park, think of OSU! (And think of us everytime you puke at the PB Slices, too! This alum does! LOL!!)

Sarah
#246 of 439 Old 03-13-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
They now make peanut butter "slices"... wrapped like the cheese!
OH, now that is just plain ole sick!!!! One of my worst??? I think that fake cheese wrapped in individual slices is gross. And I hate any of those sugary cereals. cocoa puffs, ect.. I hate the commerical attached to them as well. I saw a commercial for kraft cheese. They say its better because it has more calcium than the leading brand!!!!! yuck. I looked at my hubby and said, damn it!!!! Its not real f#$%^ cheese!!!!! LOLOL Get a clue!!!!!!
Sarah
#247 of 439 Old 03-13-2004, 02:17 PM

I did not read all the posts
I was wondering if anyone has had Blues Clues ice cream My cousin brought this over.The boys pooped varying shades of green teal and blue for days after!:
#248 of 439 Old 03-13-2004, 02:33 PM

the bagels that the bakeries are dying green for St Patty's Day really grossed me out. I saw them & all I could think of was moldy bagels....
#249 of 439 Old 03-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote :
Chitterlings
Pig feet
Pig Jowls
Pig snouts
Tripe (cow tounge)
pigs brain in milk gravy
Pork roll
SOUSE LOAF!!!!!!!! I can even look at this, you can see all the entrails formed together with a gelatin goo to for a loaf like like slice.

Dp you know to a vegan these things are as gross as ground bison/lean beef etc!!!! Why is it more gross to eat some parts of an animal yet not another, either way it is from a once live being?.......not triyng to attack, just trying to get my head round it. Like in the UK eating a cat is shocking yet in other countries they do, yet some people round the world may think the British eating a cow is awful!!
#250 of 439 Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I guess I have got a good system going for my grocery shopping. I rarely even see the gross products. I have to think when people here say they are grossed out by everything in the grocery store - mine has tons of fresh produce (including a big organic section) and I just skip a lot of aisles. I only see the things I am looking for and it makes it so much easier.

I went looking the other day and a lot seems so gross - Hamburger helper type boxes, lunch meat with noodles and orange things mixed in, head cheese (my mom loves the stuff and asks me to buy it for her all of the time, but I can't even bring myself to think about what it is), just about anything that is advertised as convenient.....

I am Canadian and my in-laws are American. When we visit there and go grocery shopping I notice all kinds of products that don't seem to exist this side of the border, mainly convenience and snack-type foods. I have never seen chocolate or blue french fries or coloured margerine, although I have seen green and purple ketchup. My kids eat french fries but always homemade. Someone gave us "happy face rench fries" once and they were pretty gross.
#251 of 439 Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NaturalMommie

Tripe (cow tounge)
I thought Tripe was stomach?

Doesnt' matter, I wouldn't eat it anyway.

#252 of 439 Old 03-18-2004, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowmum

Dp you know to a vegan these things are as gross as ground bison/lean beef etc!!!! Why is it more gross to eat some parts of an animal yet not another, either way it is from a once live being?.......not triyng to attack, just trying to get my head round it. Like in the UK eating a cat is shocking yet in other countries they do, yet some people round the world may think the British eating a cow is awful!!

Why is it that vegan's think any meat is gross. or tht blue apple sauce is gross. or cookies with frosting packaged together is gross. It's just that some people think somethings are gross and others don't. I personnally know people who eat chitterlings, and pigs feet, do I still think it's gross, oh my YES! I eat hamburgers though. Maybe if I was raised eating that stuff I wouldn't think it was gross, who knows
#253 of 439 Old 03-18-2004, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by USMCbaby
Big Lots, formerly Pic 'N' Save[i][QUOTE]

I didn't know that! And Tuney sounds absolutely disgusting!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#254 of 439 Old 03-18-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeysmommy
Twinkies are not actually baked anymore. They are now made from an exothermic chemical foam that is sprayed into a mold. It creates its own heat and cooks itself.

That's why they don't taste as good as they used to! [/B]
Gross.:Puke and scary!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#255 of 439 Old 03-18-2004, 05:49 PM

I second the vomit on the twinkie post, eww I can't believe they do that???!!!! How can they do that? yuck!
#256 of 439 Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 PM

broccamole - may sister bought this. I'm thinking o.k. you're replacing creamy avacado with broccoli to make a guacamole.... and I like broccoli but really?
#257 of 439 Old 03-19-2004, 06:40 PM

salaam

when i was little, my mom once picked up a package of bologna and read the ingredients... shouted "BEEF LIPS!? UGH!?" and moved on... haha!

khalilah

ps... i am a vegan, but i was raised on meat... i just *realized* one day that it's sortof gross to gnaw on an animal. i remember that it tasted good, but now the smell even gets to me sometimes. and non-meat products that are REALLY convincing make my stomach turn... like this resteraunt by my house serves this mock chicken. it's moulded to LOOK like half a baked chicken and the texture is SO REAL. *weird*
#258 of 439 Old 03-20-2004, 07:23 PM

I teach 5th grade. I allow my kids to bring "A healthy snack." Most of my students bring RAW Ramen noodles broken up in a baggy with the MSG-laden powder seasoning poureed in the bag. They eat these like chips. Gags me just to watch them.

Another thing they love - that's just gross to me - are those fruit by the foot things. they play with it - get their hands all over it. Looks like run over playdough to begin with. YUCK!

Worse thing I have seen yet though is on Valentines Day, our school cafeteria served the kids heart shaped bright pink chicken nuggets!
#259 of 439 Old 03-20-2004, 11:36 PM

OMG.

I have just glanced at this thread and I am sooooooooo glad I don't go into regular grocery stores.

We buy all our food from either one of 4 health food stores in our neighborhood, the green markets, or direct from the farmer (when we're in VT).

I've always thought Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby was disgusting, let alone the Velveta, etc. that I remember people eating when I was a kid over at some others homes.

Now I know there are whole new levels of revulsion I don't want to know about.

>yech!<
#260 of 439 Old 04-27-2006, 05:04 PM

Minute Rice, Instant Mashed Potato Flakes,

- and -

does anyone remember that squeezable cheese in a tube? The name escapes me . . . .

Me and the boys have fun when in the grocery store I point out the things my mom used to buy and actually thought it was nutritious food! Heh heh.

They know about MSG and you should have seen their little faces when I pointed out (and read the ingredients of) "Accent". Yep, straight monosodium glutamate. My first born (adult son) still freaks out on a bag of chips and some good ol' store bought chip dip. LOADED with Msg.

This thread should be changed to : "So, You Wanna Go On A Diet . . . !"
#261 of 439 Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

I hate minute rice, but have to adimit to using instand mashed potatoes.
Costco has a brand that taste very good, has the skins in it and isn't loaded with junk
#262 of 439 Old 04-27-2006, 05:43 PM

In the early 70's, before my Mom started going to health food stores, she would make us wicked good fluffernutter sandwiches on WONDER BREAD!! Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on bread...

Um, I have not introduced this to my kids.

They were delicious! And, oh so gross...:

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#263 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

hee, thanks for the laughs!

I just saw in the store pre-toasted marshmallows. See, no fire needed, just pop them in your mouth.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#264 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 09:41 AM

The craziest thing to me about all these packaged "convenience foods" is that they aren't any more convenient than healthy foods. Plus they're so expensive, and even parents who buy them must have some idea that "Kid Cuisine" is not the best thing to be feeding their child.

Isn't it just as convenient to let your child grab an apple or banana from a fruit bowl, or even a handful of whole grain crackers for a snack? And is it really that hard to stick a chicken in the oven with a couple of potatoes?

I'm going to make damn sure that my kid grows up learning how to prepare healthful food. I think lots of people just never learned how and think it's this big scary thing.
#265 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 PM

The grossest thing I ever saw in a grocery store was "pork bung".

I agree that the processed stuff is gross. Some of it grosser than others (i.e., anything weird colored is extra gross to me). Something about the premixed PB&J has always grossed me out, even before I ever thought about being healthy.

I was raised on some of the more "traditional" processed stuff (e.g., mac & cheese). I'm learning to make more things from scratch now (it's really not that hard to make your own mac & cheese, esp. since I always grate extra "real" cheese to add into it anyway!). But for some reason, DH still likes Kraft, which tells me there must be something bad for you in there that he's addicted to (because I've bought the more natural brands and he says there is something missing).

I'm still a sucker for cheese dip made from Rotel and melted Velveeta. I grew up eating Tex-Mex, and one of my favorite things was queso dip. I've been searching and searching for a recipe to make my own...the closest I've found is using American cheese, which still isn't cheese (isn't it sad that we have a national cheese that isn't cheese?).
#266 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 PM

You know, I had happily forgotten about this thread. And now its Baaaaaaack!

#267 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Chicken in a can.

A *whole* chicken, stuffed into a can.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#268 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 03:42 PM

I love this thread!! Thanks to whoever got it out of the closet!!

ANything that involves chopped/pressed/canned/frozen/whatever meat products to me is completely disgusting. I have meat issues anyway and any little bit of connective tissue on meat sends me packing! :Puke: If it's all ground and pressed and sliced, that makes it even worse!! I cannot even eat lunch meat without finding something chewy and nasty in it!!
#269 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM

What about head hog cheese....EWWWW..it's not cheese....

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#270 of 439 Old 04-28-2006, 09:43 PM

How about X-mas at your Mother-In-Law's where she graciously serves your kids BLUE apple sauce in plastic cups. Mmmmmm. The traditional artificially colored X-mas apple sauce.

Dickens wrote about it in A Christmas Carol. Scrooge couldn't sleep because of it--bad dreams all night.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page