what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might just be the grossest packaged food I've seen. An ad for this in Sunday's paper: "Uncrustables"--a peanut butter & jam "sandwich" that comes as a round frozen patty. And I quote:

"The easy way to PB&J--just thaw & serve! Soft bread gives kids the fresh taste of homemade! Kids love no crust!"

As if PB&J is so hard to make...

That's just nasty.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#2 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 09:03 PM

Women on another site I go to love these things. They say it makes it easy to make the kids' lunches in the morning. : I started making my own lunches in about the third grade and my mom didn't have to do anything but clean up a few remaining crumbs.

I think the odd colored food is the worse. So far they've done ketchup, fries, and margarine. It might be interesting if they could make brocoli look appealing to kids, but I don't think most American children are suffering from a lack of ketchup, fries, and margarine.
#3 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 09:05 PM

blue french fries. no, the CHOCOLATE french fries.
#4 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 09:19 PM

#5 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 09:42 PM

Spam

'nuff said..

peggy
#6 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 10:08 PM

There is one of those refigerated vending machines at my office. They have the most disgusting things in them. Can you imagine buying a prepackaged, tuna fish sandwich? or a hot dog, pre-stuffed with cheese and chili? gross!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#7 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 10:26 PM

Something my mother tried to get me to eat that just made me gag:

deviled ham :toilet
#8 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 10:31 PM

I think deviled ham is spam all ground up!! :LOL

peggy
#9 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 10:34 PM

They now make peanut butter "slices"... wrapped like the cheese!

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#10 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 10:35 PM

Purple and Green Catchup - I just keep seeing my kids running around like maniacs from all that food coloring! Why? I don't get it?

There was a vain in my Spam can once - that was the last can I ever bought! Now I'm vegitarian...
#11 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 11:04 PM

Oh, I am about to cry I am laughing so hard! :LOL

Yes, there's nothing like coming home to a homemade meal that I have spent all day preparing -- PB & J!!

Previously, I have enjoyed being grossed out by the crustless wonder bread I have seen advertised "with all the fiber of whole wheat." HUH?!

I went to a mainstream grocery store today because they sent me a coupon for $40 worth of free stuff (relaly great stuff and a canvas totebag, too!). Anyhow, I left there all sicked out by all the packaged crapola. Oh, and I went to Target yesterday and I bought some refill liquid soap in a huge plastic container. I feel so guilty about it, but it smells soooooo good and it is very pretty.

Shame on me!

Please list some more yucky stuff -- I am enjoying this immensely!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#12 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 11:17 PM

ooh, what about

"potted meat-food product!"

what the hell do you think that even means? no, never mind, i don't think we really want to know.
#13 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 11:23 PM

Oh, that reminds me of another one...

Kraft "Rip-ums." Three out of four kids don't get the recommended calcium. So, instead of giving your kid a salad, give him these cheese food product strips so that he can play with his "food," instead of eating it with respect.

Technically, I think they use the term "potted" because it originally comes from the potty!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#14 of 439 Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 PM

I think the colored ketsup is the grossest. Ugh - what color does that make your toddler poop?

Lunchables are so nasty, I would have to put them on the gross list.

My husband ate some Hostess products the other day and I sat and read him the labels - beef fat is part of a Twinkie. Gross.

The crustless PB&J just seems like pure laziness - I guess gross to think that we American's are THAT lazy.
#15 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shoshannas mom
blue french fries. no, the CHOCOLATE french fries.
Oh, those "Funky Fries" by far! I just stood in the frozen food aisle blinking, unable to move. I couldn't believe it. Chocolate-flavored french fries. Blue french fries (and NOT from blue potatoes). They also have cinnamon-flavored french fries.

Because, you know, parents have a hard time getting their kids to eat enough french fries.

Oh dear.
#16 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 12:49 AM

Does tripe count? It comes in a package. Along that same line, pigs' feet, kidneys, and brain. They were all packaged too. Thank God. Don't know what I'd do if I met an un-packaged kidney in a dark alley...
#17 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 02:13 PM

how about cereal + milk in a bar so you can eat t on the go???
EEEEEK!

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#18 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 02:17 PM
glh

Those baby food meatsticks, they just look disgusting to me.
#19 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 02:38 PM

I know it's not a new item but I'll never get over the fact that one can buy cookies and dunk them in frosting as a treat (they come packaged together). ICK! I thought junk food hit an all time low when that came out.

What's this peanut butter slice thing? Weird!! Can't imagine what is used to hold it in shape and not melt.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#20 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 03:04 PM

I wanted to know what the heck an uncrustable looked like, so I did a search. Smucker's has some web info - yes, an uncrustables FAQ! http://www.smuckers.com/fg/otg/uncrustables/default.asp

I also found that some schools are serving it on their lunch menu. For example, in Springfield, IL, kids will be eating:

Uncrustables Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
Baby Whole Carrots
Apple Half
Doritos Chips
Milk

What's with all the corporate food products in school cafeterias?!

I am in shock!

Jean

#21 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 03:08 PM

Lunchables...and they're not cheap either! Now they have some dessert thing in them that changes color...Bleccchhh!

Those rubber "fruit" snacks....

Turkey bacon-ends up dry and tough as leather, tastes like smoke flavoring. The dog likes it though.
#22 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 04:51 PM

Lunchables are HIGH on my list of Icky Food. Especially the pizza ones, I saw a friends child eating on the other day, even the smell of cold pizza sauce, Cheese SAUCE and a hard cold pita just made me sick. But the most disgusting thing I Have seen lately is Blue applesauce! Supposedly its blue clues, How sick is that!
#23 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 05:03 PM

The only gross food item that has made it inside this house is the purple ketchup. What can I say? DH is a pushover and clueless. DD ALWAYS wets the bed after their trips to 7 Eleven to get Slurpees (I swear that dye overloads her system).
So now we have a bottle of this glop in the fridge that she used once or twice (on her tofu "fish sticks", for heavens' sake) and now is reserved for her science experiments!

I love to look at those Lunchables; they are sOO disgusting! Better check out the frozen food aisle for the goofy fries.
#24 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 06:41 PM

I'm just proud that my ds thinks anything by Nestle is "Gross, because they kill babies"
#25 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
EEWWWW...just looked at the website for the Uncrustables (okay the name sounds gross too - like underwear that won't get crusty after you wear three or four days in a row - sorry - that is what it made me think of:-p)
But anyway - THEY ARE POPTARTS!!!! why buy something different - just buy six boxes of poptarts. at least those come in better flavors. ( i love poptarts i am ashamed to admit - haven't eaten them in a long while.)

I think I am with the folks on the fries. ICK.
And also the prepackaged sugar cookie dough. it tastes NASTY!.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#26 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 09:19 PM

SuperMom-
Dh bought the blue applesauce for the kids once. The blue coloring turned dd's poop bright green!
#27 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 11:01 PM

I am with you with the f fries, ketcup, lunchables, and blue apple sauce...

Okay... You know what an MRE is??? Dh military, "Meals Ready to Eat". They come in a brown plastic air tight bag, and all the seperate things are in seperate plastic bags and everything will clog your system up for days (I have had them before!!!) But to make matters worse, dh was overseas in the war and said that he opened one up and it had a Nutra Grain bar in it's ORGINAL PACKAGING... MREs have a self live of 10+ YEARS!!!! Won't catch me eating those now!!!!

Oh, what about those crackers and cheese dip??? YUCK (don't know about taste, dairy allergy)

Keep them coming!!! This is a great topic!!!
#28 of 439 Old 08-20-2002, 11:39 PM

mama katrina, one of our fellow army buddies had an mre that had m&ms in it, WITH THE 1984 OLYMPICS LOGO ON IT! this was during the gulf war!!!!!
#29 of 439 Old 08-21-2002, 12:49 AM

I have to echo my disgust for the CHOCOLATE FLAVORED FRENCH FRIES (as well as the other disgusting flavors.) I just happened to walk by a big display of them at the store the other day and when I saw what they were I said "oh, gross" -- evidentally I said it really loud since everyone near that aisle turned and looked at me. Just looking at the package made my physically gag. I was afraid I was going to heave, so I hightailed it to the checkout line.

Sheepishly, I will admit that my boys love the honey nut cheerio milk and cereal bars. They are a pretty special treat to them.

I will also sheepishly admit that I love fruit roll ups, although I don't buy them. My mom buys them for the boys and justifies it by saying that they have "real fruit juice and vitamin C" in them. Whatever!!! Then I am "forced" to eat them so my boys don't get their hands on them.:LOL
#30 of 439 Old 08-21-2002, 01:03 AM

mama katrina - I secretly love MRE's - my grama used to get them in bags of Government groceries for low income elderly people. So they are a gross but good childhood memory.
But this is a facinating thread - I was actually going to start it because I saw blue french fries for the first time today, but someone beat me to it. I guess I'm out of the convienience food loop. Re the school lunch thing, that's one of the reasons we pulled ds out of pubschool, (not a big one, but just a contrib.) the GRODY lunches fuled entirely by nutritionally void food. The scary thing is there are children out there that have probably never eaten a whole, unprocessed food! And then we wonder why our children have behavioral problems! It's so hard to keep your kids away from that stuff, esp. if they go to friends' houses, but it's pretty important, to me anyway. Even when dd comes home from Grama's house and says, "Guess what we had for snack, mommy? PINK POWERPUFF GIRL PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Thanks so much, mom. MIL feeds them sqweezie "yogurt" in a tube, with twice as much sugar as a Snickers bar in each one. GAG ME WITH A FORK!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page