Traditional Foods NT Mammas - November Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2004, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PS

Dh and I went on th blood type diet at the urging of friend/naturopath.

He dropped WEIGHT!!!! OMG did he lose!!! From a 40 waist to a 36. I can remember crying to dh when I was pregnant/postpartum vegetarian, that I felt like I was at a feed lot. Grains ,grains, grains. Of course I have not lost any weight on the bloos type diet, .......of course I cheat more than he does.

I am happier eating meat. We are type O, which means more meat. I am also part native. Grew up eating pemmican. OMG the cholesterol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day ladies
Peace
Colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 07:44 PM

Just wanted to share my good luck:

Dh went to the farmers' market on Saturday, right around closing time and got and ENTIRE organic beef liver for only $2!!!! And that's Canadian money! The liver was about 4.5 lbs - not bad, eh?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:53 PM

KatzMama -- that is a great deal. Cool

Hmm. Trying to figure out if I have anything new to report. Not much. We're recovering from our Florida trip and trying to tie some things up before the holidays. My depression is gone. I've felt better than ever for a month -- even better than my up times. I had forgotten what it felt like to be me and didn't even realize it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Hi Everyone,
Here is whats new in my kitchen! I made sourdough spelt bread for the first time and it worked!!! I started the starter with some whey and water and added a bit of flour and water each day for 7 days then I fed it up and let it rise twice and it worked! I am so shocked, I have always had trouble making bread. (patting myself on my back in a big way :LOL)

I also have been making youghurt cheese regularly and using the whey for soaking and fermenting. I made the gingerale out of the NT cookbook and it rocks! It is sooooo yummy.

My next culinary adventure is to make farmer's cheese from the wild fermentation book. I am planning on doing a molded cheese as well as a ricotta like one for rollups. Has anyone done this? Tommorrow I get my milk from the farmer's market so I want to do this this weekend.

I also learned why my youghurt has been on the runny side, I have been using tooooo much starter! I thought more was better but I have just reread the youghurt section in wild and realized less is way more!!! I am pumped to try my youghurt again as I have been buying stoneyfield for a premium because we love our firm youghurt around here

Thats my update, hope you all are well!!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:12 PM

cross post with kefir thread

Okay so I am on the hunt for the best strainer for kefir as well as making youghurt/kefir cheese (straining off the whey).

I have a bunch of 'sock' tea strainers in various diameters. They are a knit cotton material that is hung from a ring (thats metal). It is possible to strain the kefir without touching the metal.

Here is the link to where I bought them. What do you all think of this idea. I am concerned about contamination. One can wash these socks very thoroughly mind you. Hmmmmm

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tea_tool/infusers.php

They are called cotton tea nets and if you click on the camera icon you can see a picture.

What do you all think?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 PM

Mountain Mom --- I have a Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker and use it to make yogurt cheese weekly. I love it so much I am thinking of investing in another. --- sg
Old 12-01-2004, 08:41 PM

When I was pregnant I bought an entire beef liver (grass fed, grass finished, organic) and we ate liver every friday night for ages... It was 12 lbs or so and I cut it into steaks and froze it into dinner sized portions...

side note:
I didn't tell my husband I was going to do this and he was at home with ds when it arrived. He called me at work and said, "Um, there's a huge beef liver in a box at the front door...."

:LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatzMama
Just wanted to share my good luck:

Dh went to the farmers' market on Saturday, right around closing time and got and ENTIRE organic beef liver for only $2!!!! And that's Canadian money! The liver was about 4.5 lbs - not bad, eh?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the link Selu, where did you get yours and how much did it cost?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:32 PM

I bought mine in town (Central Ohio) from a little kitchen store and it was around $16. I've seen them at various online stores for a littles less. HTH! --- sg
Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 PM

I've heard really good things about this nut milk bag.
http://www.purejoylivingfoods.com/pr...rout_bag.shtml

People use it to strain nut milks, and it's made out of a nylon material (yeah yeah, I know, synthetic) that is supposed to clean very easily. I would imagine that it would work well for straining cheese and kefir though.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 PM

Hey toraji, thanks for the link, what do you use your nut pulp for? Do you have any recipes?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:30 PM

One quick thing, by offering alternatives to the tea sock, are you all suggesting that may not be such a good idea?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 AM

I don't know mountain mom, I'd have to see it IRL. I would worry about it getting nasty.

In terms of just straining the grains, I did something super easy at my SILs over the holidays. The grains were in a glass with milk (no jars, who knew?). I used a plastic slotted spoon and poured the kefir right through the spoon into a blender the spoon caught the grains and I put them in a clean glass. It was just one blob of grains so that wasn't an issue. With my 2+ cups of grains it is a little more of a production around here.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 PM

Hey NT mamas. Can I pop in for a quick question?

My aunt is way into NT and I pulled her name for our Christmas present exchange. Can you suggest any gift ideas? We usually spend $50-75.

She owns NT and Dr. Price's book and she's already a member of local chapter.

I was reading my Mother Earth News mag the other night and thought she might like a subscription to that (especially since this month there are articles on root cellaring, grain mills and pasture-fed animals).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks mamas!

~Erin (who is VERY interested in NT...but also vegetarian and trying to figure out how to reconcile the two )
Old 12-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force

With my 2+ cups of grains it is a little more of a production around here.
You must really go through milk to keep all of them going?
I am also wondering like PP how to incorporate NT into a veggie family. I have just recently started adding meat back to my diet because of depression problems I was having when totally veggie. We eat some meat, but not daily. I had also posted a question about the price of organic meat, but didnt get much of a response, so I will post it here too. Is this a good deal on meat? meat Scroll down for the monthly shippments. It cost $101 plus shipping. Here is a more detailed look at what at how much is in each package package
Old 12-02-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Eeps, been away a few days with holiday 'busy'...so I'm going to put in my $.02 on various things I see here:

The cotton bag is nice since it's 'pure'...however you would need to wash it daily after straining, and possibly should 'iron it on really high' to kill off any nasties that might start to grow in between batches, to sterilize it. If you are brewing and straining often, OMG what a PITA.. If you do use it, the metal band should not be an issue. A quick touch of metal isn't going to hurt the grains, sitting in contact for a long time in a strainer of metal, might be.

I found a nylon 'tea strainer' cup that fits perfectly in the lid of a wide mouth mason jar (and stays there hand free, and when stirring the 'curds' to get them to pass through, doesn't move about). I really am liking it, plus even if you over brew your Kefir to reduce lactose, and get REALLY curdy, it makes it silky smooth again with the whey and easier to drink. A very good thing.

I kinda like the bamboo one on that website. It would wash well, then just let it dry overnight and it's ready the next day.

The nylon bag would be a great thing for making Kefir d' Aqua where you could put either the grains or the fruit in the bag, and SUPER easy and sanitary straining....mmm...might have to get one. I saw a similar thing at a department store for 'washing' nylons and baby things in so you don't lose them in the washing machine or dryer.

The slotted spoon works well, especially if you have nice, big fat grains...but I loose too many babies that way. However, if you have LOTS of grains...it's probably a good thing to let the little ones slip through and go ahead and ingest them. Which reminds me....read a recipe for making 'yogurt Kefir'....

You supposedly take about a Tbs Kefir Grains, and your heated, then cooled milk and give it a whirl in the blender to 'chop up' the grains to make them really small. THEN you innoculate it with your yogurt starter or a 'packet' of starter. Then let it culture as you usually do it. The resulting yogurt is one, super loaded with good bacteria and yeasts, and two, supposedly it sets up REALLY nice from the ground up Kefir. I have not tried this, as I don't have the grains to spare...but Gale, how about giving this a test and letting us know?

I do not remember where I just read this, it was probably on one of the Dom's various sites, and he's got a new 'FAQ' page up and I've not been online too many other places in last few days....so there are more details somewhere out there

http://ftp.newave.net.au/~dna/kefir-faq.html

This is his new faq page.

OH, on NT and Vegetarian. I would think the number one way to incorporate NT ideals is in the grain/seed/nut soaking to increase nutritional value and reduce irritants and digestive inhibitors. That's good for Omni, Veg*n, whatever. If you eat grains/seeds/nuts, then this is a good thing...period!

Also, Veg*n's can do fermented vegetables to get that added 'cultural' benefit and if you are an ovo, lacto, then the Kefir or yogurt is a good thing.

Add in a few organic eggs...and really...you are more than half way there. No need to add in any meat, or a ton of meat. It's NOT all about the meat. Meat is a convenient 'powerhouse' source of certain nutritional needs, but if you are a thriving veg*n, and just can't do the meat, don't throw out the rest of the NT stuff because of the meat.

I think if a person's diet was chiefly composed of vegetables and grains, and it's hard enough to get 100% of the nutritional needs for your body even if you do eat meat, then I'd be soaking and fermenting everyday, to make what I did eat as nutritionally packed as possible! Sans the meat or not...I just try to make what I DO eat, as beneficial to my body as possible.

toodles and hugs!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Hey NT mamas. Can I pop in for a quick question?

My aunt is way into NT and I pulled her name for our Christmas present exchange. Can you suggest any gift ideas? We usually spend $50-75.

She owns NT and Dr. Price's book and she's already a member of local chapter.

I was reading my Mother Earth News mag the other night and thought she might like a subscription to that (especially since this month there are articles on root cellaring, grain mills and pasture-fed animals).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks mamas!

~Erin (who is VERY interested in NT...but also vegetarian and trying to figure out how to reconcile the two )

I'd want a Mother Earth News subscription!!!! Also, if she doesn't have 'Wild Fermentations'....I'd get her that!

Also, check out 'Grain and Salt' Society and their 'fermentation' crock for doing veges...I'd LOVE one of those! She could use it for bread making, fermented veggies...and brewing drinks....

Mmm....NT's always need glass, wide mouth mason jars...especially the BIG ones. You can find a 2-4 gallon one, with lid at the craft stores....she might appreciate one of those for storage/brewing.

I told the DH I wanted a 'carboy' and siphon for brewing our own 'ginger champaign'....so there are things like that if you can find a beer/wine making store...or look online.

IF she doesn't have a Donvier Yogurt cheese maker/strainer...that is the number one favorite thing when making yogurt/Kefir cheese! IF she doesn't have a nice yogurt maker, then there you go, another idea.

Mama,

The organic meat prices seem a bit high. I think I would check local groc stores in the 'organic' section or see if they carry a brand like 'red bird farms'. I didn't do detailed price check, but I looked at the chicken package and I KNOW I can get whole organic chickens (6 pk) for way less than what they were asking. But then again, if you live in the boonies and it's convenient...then.... /shrug

I like Town and Country, they are local and organic and the prices are much better than what I saw on that site.

Heather
Old 12-02-2004, 05:16 PM

I have checked at the local HF store and this meat is what they stock (because they are local) so I know it will be the same prices here or higher. I am wanting to find some local farmers who sell big amounts to people. My parents got us half a hog a few years ago at a really good price.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Hey toraji, thanks for the link, what do you use your nut pulp for? Do you have any recipes?
I used to feed it to the dog. :
I tried putting it in baked goods and using it as a skin scrub, but since then I've stopped making nut milk from soaked nuts. Now I just shake up some nut butter in a jar with water for a quick milk for cooking b/c I got out of the habit of drinking "milks".

On NT and vegetarianism, yes to everything xenabyte said above, plus making sure to get raw pastured dairy products for the fat-soluble vitamins.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 PM

Hey, I just figured out that we're onto December's thread now...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=222441
Old 12-02-2004, 09:19 PM

Xenabyte ~ Thanks so much for the gift ideas!!

As for me, I've started soaking my grains...already doing plenty-o-eggs from our free-ranging girls....and am searching for a source for raw dairy so yeah...I guess I am well on my way to NT!

Thanks again!!

User Tag List