Your yummy healthy muffin recipes please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-29-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find good, healthy muffin recipes for my 2 1/2 yo ds. He is not a good eater and has quite a limited repetoire of foods. He does loves muffins, though, and I try to bake him good ones, particularly with veggies in them.

Does anyone out there have any for him to try? I would really appreciate it, as I am sick to death of the same old muffins!
#2 of 15 Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's some of mine:

Apple-Bran Muffins

These moist, fruity muffins can be made without wheat.

3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup whole wheat, brown rice, or barley flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups wheat or oat bran
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 apple, grated
1/2 cup sunflower seeds or walnuts, minced

Preheat oven to 375º. Oil muffin tins. Beat together oil, molasses, egg, yogurt, and juice until smooth. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Stir in salt and bran. Mix yogurt mixture into flour mixture. Stir in apples and minced seeds or nuts. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Muffins keep well in refrigerator or freezer.

Yield: 1 dozen

Banana-Molasses Muffins
Yogurt, molasses, and almonds add vitamins and minerals to these moist, flavorful muffins. They’re really good spread with Yogurt Cheese (page xxx).

1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup almonds
1 cup whole wheat, spelt, or barley flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 bananas)
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup plain yogurt (dairy or nondairy)

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly oil muffin tins. In food processor or blender, grind oats and nuts to a coarse meal. Transfer to mixing bowl and whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir in raisins. Beat remaining ingredients together until smooth. Add to oat mixture and stir just until mixed. Pour batter into prepared tins. Bake 20 minutes, or until tops are firm to the touch.

Makes 1 dozen

Note: For quick preparation, puree liquid ingredients in food processor or blender after removing oat/nut mixture.

Cranberry-Orange Muffins
These tangy, eggless muffins are made with flaxseeds to supply omega-3 essential fatty acids that are important for your baby’s brain and nervous system development.

1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
3 tablespoons honey, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, or maple syrup
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons flaxseeds, ground

Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil muffin tins. Place juice, grated orange peel, sweetener, and cranberries in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until steam begins to rise. Remove from heat. Stir in oil.
In separate bowl, sift flours, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt together. Stir in ground flaxseeds. Mix cranberry mixture into flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out dry.

Makes 1 dozen

Note: Use a coffee grinder, seed grinder, or blender to grind the flaxseeds.

Carrot-Bran Muffins
These easy muffins are full of fiber and vitamin A. When you have time, make a batch (or two) and store them in your freezer. They thaw quickly when you need a snack. They can be made gluten-free, too.

2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses, or 2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
1 egg or egg replacer
1 cup plain yogurt (dairy or nondairy)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup brown rice, barley, or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup wheat, oat, or rice bran
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup sunflower seeds or chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil muffin tins. Beat together oil, sweetener, egg, yogurt, and applesauce until smooth. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Stir in bran. Add liquid ingredients along with carrots, seeds or nuts, and raisins to flour mixture. Stir gently until combined. Fill prepared muffin tins. Bake 25 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out dry.

Makes 1 dozen

Leftover Oatmeal-Raisin Muffins
I always seem to have a little oatmeal leftover from breakfast, but not quite enough to save for another meal. Hence, the creation of these muffins.

3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
1 egg or egg replacer
2/3 cup milk (dairy or nondairy)
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup whole wheat, brown rice, or barley flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch sea salt

Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil muffin tins. Beat together oil, molasses, egg, and milk until completely combined. Stir in oatmeal and raisins. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together. Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture. Stir gently until combined. Fill prepared muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out dry. Cool muffins 5 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes8 muffins

Variation

Leftover Oatmeal Surprise Muffins: Omit raisins and prepare batter as directed. Fill muffin tins half full with batter. Place 1 teaspoon jam in the center of each muffin. Top with remaining batter to full tins a little over 3/4 full. Bake as directed.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 15 Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 PM

Has anyone tried the muffin recipes with Rice Milk, Soy yogurt?

Michele
#4 of 15 Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 PM

:
#5 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

I was dairy free for about a year, so I made most things with soy milk and soy yogurt instead of dairy, and they turned out fine. I don't think rice milk is particularly good to cook with, but soy milk and oat milk work well. Just substitute them for dairy in a normal recipe.
#6 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 AM

This is my favorite Bran Muffin Recipe ~ dairy & egg free

(makes 12)

1 C whole wheat flour
2 C bran (or oatmeal or crushed cereal or a mixture of the three)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Ener-G equiv. to 1 egg, lightly beaten
1 C soy/rice milk
1/2 C molasses
1/2 C raisins

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add other inredients and mix until just moistened. Prepare muffin tins. Fill cups and bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
#7 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyShellandKai
Has anyone tried the muffin recipes with Rice Milk, Soy yogurt?

Michele
I use soy or rice milk for all the recipes I posted. Soy yogurt will be fine as well - it just might make the muffins slightly sweeter.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#8 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Cathe, thank you for the recipes. I'm thinking about making some of these for my kids. I have molasses in the pantry but not blackstrap molasses. Not as nutritious, I know. OK to substitute in equal amounts?
Thanks!

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
#9 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 PM

I'm a pumpkin lover, and I adore muffins made from Cathe's pumpkin bread recipe. Here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/sections/re...kin-bread.html
I cook at the temp specified in the recipe, but for less time ~ usually 25 minutes or so, until tester comes out clean.

Carolyn
#10 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 PM

Yes - you can sub other molasses and use the same amount.

#11 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 10:57 PM

I'm getting hungry!!!
#12 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 PM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
All these sound really yummy. I'll have to give them a try.

love and blessings
angie
#13 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain
I'm a pumpkin lover, and I adore muffins made from Cathe's pumpkin bread recipe. Here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/sections/re...kin-bread.html
I cook at the temp specified in the recipe, but for less time ~ usually 25 minutes or so, until tester comes out clean.
That's freaky. I have some pumpkin so I found a pumpkin recipe on the net today and adapted it (e.g. totally changed it except for like three ingredients :LOL) and my adapted recipe is almost exactly the same as Cathe's. Should have looked here first!
#14 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 12:00 AM

Cath do these recipes come outta your cookbook? Im just finishing up baking the Apple muffins MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

I dont recall who posted the recipe for the ..was it called: Nut and Bean loaf? We had that for dinner this evening and it was surprising tasty! However I didnt wait the entire 70 minutes rec as we were starving.. question is does the middle get firm after the alloted time?

Michele
#15 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 AM

I think that loaf was mine too - and yes, it does get firm if you cook it the whole 70 mins (I know it's a long time but it's worth the wait!)

And yes the muffins are from my books.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page