EXCELLENT veg slow cooker cookbook - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2004, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In a desperate search for how to manage making delicious, healthy vegetarian meals with a 3 y.o. and 4 m.o., I bought a crock pot and the book: Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are by Robin Robertson. I have made a recipe from this cookbook (w/out alteration the first time around) every day since then and have really liked or LOVED (most often the case) every recipe.

I can't believe I had been hobbling along trying to start cooking at 4 or 5 p.m. every night. It was insanity. My dd #1 would help a little in the kitchen but not long enough to keep either of us happy for the duration of meal preparation. Now, I casually prepare my recipe in the morning (when dd #1 has a great ability to entertain herself when not helping me and dd #2 is sleeping) AND THEN I'M DONE! If I have time/energy, I add a nice side vegetable. Most of the recipes are vegan. A lot of the recipes have a wonderful comfort food quality.

I've also been menu planning, so no more "what are we going to have for dinner tonight" stress. And I always have soaked beans in the morning for the recipe due to the planning. I always thought menu planning seemed "hard". Now I realize I had been doing it the hard way in my pre-crock, pre-menu planning days!

I would HIGHLY recommend this book or just crock pot cooking in general for anyone wondering how to make delicious and nutritious meals without killing yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the recommendation! I have several of her cookbooks but not that one. I've stayed away from the slow cooker because all the threads and recipes I've seen on it are so meat-intensive, and the veggie recipes I've seen in non-veg slow cooker cookbooks didn't sound very good.

What are your favorite recipes out of this book so far?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:56 PM

Spinach, the cookbook looked good and i ordered it today from Amazon!

I love cookbooks, and am always on the lookout for a good one. I am a meat eater who prefers veggies, married to a man that cant do without his meat. That said, what i have found is that many vegetarian recipes are not only yummy and good for you, but i can throw in some diced chicken, or put some stir fry'd steak to the side and everyones happy.

What i have been doing, is making veggie soups, chili's, etc, and my husband doesn't realize we have cut back on meat!

I cant wait to get it.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:00 PM

i just bought that book a few days ago. how funny to see a post on it!i haven't used it yet though. glad to see you like it. i am with you on lovin the slow cooker. i was so excited to see a book that was all vegetarian because its hard to find good veg. crock pot recipes. my husband is home in the mornings so its easier for me to prepare things and then i can relax until dinner time.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quirky, my favorite recipes so far are:

-Slow-Fashioned Potpie with Biscuit Crust (unbelievably yummy)
-Bell Peppers Stuffed with Israeli Couscous and Lentils - really great
-Mac and Cheese Florentine - yum and vegan (the "cheese" is white bean and cashew puree)
-Maple Baked Beans - perfect
-Wild Rice and Dried Fruit Stuffing (made it for Thanksgiving)
-Tempeh Etoufee is very good
-Three-Bean Chili with Chive-Flecked Cornmeal Dumplings is very good standard chili (I'll probably jazz it up a bit the next time I make it)
-Garlicky Polenta with Wild Mushroom Saute - the polenta was fabulous. The mushroom saute was very good but kind of "thin" as a topping. I will make a more robust topping next time. Actually, I put the left-over chili on top of the polenta today for lunch and it was great!
-Tonight we had White Beans and Spelt with Escarole. It was very tasty and felt very helthy. Kinda old school vegetarian.

Sweetbaby3, I LOVE cookbooks too! I find them irresistable. You could definitely alter these recipes to work for you and your hubby. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! You too, star792!
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 AM

thanks for the post!! i am vegetarian who is ALWAYS looking for slow cooker recipes...but hadn't found good veggie ones!!! i can't wait to check this one out!!!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Old 12-02-2004, 02:23 AM

Spinach-Thanks so much for this suggestion. I wrote a post here a year or two ago asking if it was worth my while to get a slow cooker if we're a vegetarian household. I really like my crockpot and have looked for a good cookbook before. I will go to Amazon and check it out.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:57 AM

Much to dh's dismay I just ordered this book (he loves meat, I don't, and I do the cooking, so neener neener). I so want to be using my crock pot, but I could never find any good vegetarian recipes for it.

One question: One of the reviews on Amazon, it mentioned a lot of the recipes requiring a trivet at the bottom of the slow cooker. Is this something that you have found? Do you use one? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:48 AM

Thank you very much for posting this! I have looked for a cookbook like this in the past and couldn't find anything. I just checked the website of a local bookstore and it said they have 10 copies in stock so I will go check it out tomorrow!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:55 AM

Thank you for the rec! This looks like the perfect gift for my best friend, to who I am also giving my second slow cooker.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oceanbaby, I don't have a trivet. As far as I've noticed, only the desserts (cakes and dessert breads) call for a trivet. I bought this cookbook for the entrees so it's not an issue for me. I did make the stuffed apples though and they were really good with ice cream. Then the next morning I mixed the left-overs into oatmeal. Super yum!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 PM

Spinach, thanks for sharing this info... I am ignorant to slow cookers; how long does it take to cook a meal and can you leave them cooking while you are out of the house?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:41 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best slow cooker to put on my xmas wishlist?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 12-02-2004, 04:53 PM

I love this cookbook too! The all-day minestrone is wonderful. The chocolate almond cheesecake is FANTASTIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby
One question: One of the reviews on Amazon, it mentioned a lot of the recipes requiring a trivet at the bottom of the slow cooker. Is this something that you have found? Do you use one? Thanks!
Yup, as previously mentioned, the trivet is mostly for desserts. I don't have one, but I don't let that stop me. Instead of a trivet, I used three wide-mouth canning rings, which fit perfectly into my 6 quart slow cooker. You could also squish up a long piece of foil into a log (does that make sense?), and then coil it into a ring, and use that as a trivet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best slow cooker to put on my xmas wishlist?
Size is your major decision here. I have two slow cookers - one 6 quart, and one 4 quart. Four quarts is a great size for most things, but it isn't large enough for all soups/stews. Target carries a 4qt Rival Crock-Pot for $20, and I love it. I use my 6qt Rival Crock-Pot mostly for larger stews (freeze leftovers), and for desserts. I can't remember where I got that one (as a wedding gift maybe?).

Both of mine have only the low, high, and off settings. I wouldn't pay extra for all the fancy timers and warm settings. Many people don't like the warm setting because it is too warm, and the timers are restrictive (ie. they only allow 6 or 8 hour times). If you need the timer function, it is cheaper to just buy a plug-in appliance timer at a hardware store.

Carolyn
Old 12-02-2004, 10:18 PM

k
Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just took this book out of the library today (along with another vegetarian slow-cooker book that's not nearly as good- calls for canned or precooked beans, uses cream in just about every recipe and "assumes those of you who don't use dairy already know what substitutes are good.") To me, half the point of using a slow-cooker in the first place is to be able to use frugal dried beans without so much fuss!! Plus my crock pot has been used for meat in the past so I don't want to put any milk in there (we keep kosher.)

I like to look at books (esp cookbooks) before buying them- Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker MIGHT be one that I buy (I have yet to make anything from it, since I picked it up at the library this afternoon.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 PM

:
Old 02-15-2006, 08:39 PM

lao80~ Iwould love some recipes!

Liv
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the recommendation!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:44 PM

I would love to try some recipes from that book if anyone wants to share. It always seems to be out at the library. Thanks.

User Tag List