Can I freeze cut-out cookie dough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2004, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For just a week or so? Will the dough still be workable after it is frozen?

Thanks!!

~Scout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 02:27 PM

I’m planning on doing so this week, but I’ve not done it before. I thought I’d quickly freeze them on a cookie sheet and then transfer to a storage container. I’m planning to then just pop them onto a baking sheet and into the oven when ready. I’ll be interested to hear whether others have successfully done it.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't even thought about doing that... that's a good idea too. I was planning to just make a big batch of dough and cut out shapes later.

Hmmm... your idea sounds better! I hope someone has tried it and can give some feedback.

~Scout
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 PM

Cookie dough freezes well. I like to make a double or triple batch and freeze the dough in balls. I place the cookie balls in baggies or freezer containers and label with the type, date, temperature, and cook time. Having bags with a tray full of cookies is perfect for unexpected company or cranky husbands. Less mess and fewer dishes! You can easily freeze and thaw most cookie dough.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 12-07-2004, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, heldt123! That's a really good idea, to store them as dough balls in freezer bags. With the cut-outs, though, I probably won't do that, because I'll want to roll out sheets. But thanks for reassuring me that the cookie dough will be ok after it's been frozen!!

~Scout
Old 12-08-2004, 12:36 AM

Here are some more hints, I love doing this. Scoop out the dough for drop cookies and put them side by side on a cookie sheet, freeze hard, then put them in a ziplock. If you want to do this with peanut butter cookies, do the criss-cross first. Bake for a minute or two longer than the recipe directs.

Rolled cookies freeze well as either a disk of dough or a sheet of rolled out dough. The first is easy, just pop into a ziplock. For a sheet of dough, roll the cookie dough between two layers of waxed or parchment paper, place on a cookie sheet, freeze hard and wrap. I find cut-outs keep better frozen if they are baked and frozen undecorated.

I love Christmas cookies, but I love them best fresh baked so this is the week I try to mix up lots of dough for the freezer. And if I make more than I need, they will still be fine in January and February, :LOL.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

I always get such good ideas here! Thanks, Kari. I would have to store my dough in a zip-lock without the cookie sheet because my freezer is waaaaay too tiny. I wish we had a chest freezer.

What do you mean, freeze as a "disk of dough"? Do you flatten it out instead of keeping it in one giant ball?

~Scout
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 PM

Scout, Yes, she means to flatten it into a disk, just like you would before you try to roll it. That way it stores more easily in your freezer and has more surface area so it'll thaw more quickly when the time comes.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:37 PM

You can freeze cutout cookie dough. You would freeze it just like you would the balls and I would suggest freezing them on cookie sheets and then putting in a ziploc or a container. Then you do not have to fight trying to separate them. Bake just like normal (maybe a minute longer).

Better yet, I saw these being sold at Target last night. Sigh.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, sorry if I'm not getting this very simple thing.... I honestly, truly believe this pregnancy is impeding my thought process! My brain just isn't working lately!! It's really bugging me.

Do I cut-out the cookie shapes and freeze those on the cookie tray?

Again, pelase forgive my moron-itude.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:35 PM

You can cut them out and freeze them on cookie trays. This is how I would do it. Not the only way but what I find works for me.

1. Roll out dough and cut cookies.
2. Transfer to baking sheet/tray lined with parchment paper.
3. Put in freezer. Freeze until hard, shouldn't take more than an hour.
4. Stack all the sheets together on one baking sheet. The parchment will keep them from sticking together. Wrap well with plastic wrap. Store in freezer.
5. When ready to bake, unwrap and slide one sheet of parchment paper with cookies onto an empty baking sheet. Bake in oven for time specified by recipe plus another minute or two.

Once you make cut-out cookie dough, you can freeze the dough at any of the steps that follow. Usually you make a ball, flatten it into a disk, roll it out with a rolling pin, then cut it with cookie cutters and bake. You can freeze the cookies as a lump of dough, a flat disk of dough, a rolled-out sheet of dough, cut-out cookies or baked cookies.

The lump or disk of dough and the baked cookies are the easiest to store and handle, IMO, especially if you don't have a lot of freezer space. I have also just kept (wrapped) cookie dough in the refrigerator for a week without any problems.

I usually freeze the dough as a disk. It doesn't take that long to roll them out, cut and bake them. I thaw the dough by putting it in the fridge the day before I think I will need them.

You can just bake and decorate them now too. Most people won't know the difference, honestly, and they will still be gobbled up. Just store in airtight containers.

Maybe if you tell us what you want to do we can help you get there better?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:37 PM

Yes. My problem with it is that frozen cookie dough doesn't usually make it to the oven.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM

Irishmommy, :LOL

My problem is that dh has discovered that 6 lumps of chocolate cookie dough fit perfectly in the toaster oven.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

bless you, kari, for your detailed, patient explanation! I really get it now! I'm printing this out for future reference. And I am really really hungry now for cookies.

Thank you!!!

~Scout
Old 12-09-2004, 05:05 PM

Oh thank goodness! I was afraid I was making things worse by over-explaining! This thread has made me hungry for cookies too!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:59 AM

ooh... baking a few at a time in the toaster oven. That didn't even occur to me... I think I'm going to have to stock my freezer with frozen cookie dough now...
Old 12-21-2004, 04:32 PM

I’ve started baking my frozen cut-out cookies and they are turning out great! It's been a real time saver.

User Tag List