Need help on making teething biscuits!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-01-2002, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am trying to make my own teething biscuits because of all of the stuff they put in the ones at the store. I have been reading Super Baby Food, and she does not have a recipie for them. I have found several on the web. I have tried a few, but they have not turned out too well. I have also tried the non-wheat Earth's Best and they break too much.

I am very new to baking, but really want to do this for my 7 month old son. I am not wanting to use wheat. I am currently trying to use brown rice flour, oat flour or soy flour. I am using molasses for the flavoring. I also do not want to use any eggs. I found somewhere that 1/2 of a bananna mashed would be a suitable substitute. I am just trying to find a simple and healthy recipie. I seem to be having problems with the consistency!

So......all you mamas.......HELP!!!!
#2 of 16 Old 09-01-2002, 04:32 PM

i don't have advice on how to make them, but i do really want to warn you--teething biscuits can be a real big choking hazard. i bought this thing, it is a little mesh bag thing with a handle--the bag part screws off and you can put anything inside of it, and you can take it off to clean it. it was made by a man whose 9 month old son almost died from choking on a teething biscuit. the story really scared me! i have been putting banana pieces in mine and freezing it, my dd loves to suck on it. anyway i got mine at toys r us in the baby section, i guess they sell them other places too. you can put any kind of food in it and give it to your baby--they can suck and chew and no big pieces can get out to choke them.
anyway hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice!! and good luck finding a good recipe!
#3 of 16 Old 09-01-2002, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I will look for one!

My problem seems to be looking for one that is HARD enough. When I tried the Earth's Best I had to pick up pieces and fish them out of his mouth every few seconds. That just does not seem safe to me. I guess I am looking for something a little more sturdy, but the bag sounds like a great alternitive!
#4 of 16 Old 09-03-2002, 12:24 AM

maryanne, about the bag...could you put something hard in there like a peeled apple? would that work? if so i would love that! my ds loves to suck on apples but it is dangerous, so i can only let him have little licks of my apples....i think that would be perfect if it could do that. i live somewhere whre there is no baby supply type of stores, but i have this catalogue that sells those, so friskeymama if you are interested i can get you the address of the company, etc. if you want...
#5 of 16 Old 09-03-2002, 10:10 AM

I just saw this thing for the first time last week. It looks terrific! I am going back to get one soon. I think from what I can tell you can put anything in it. I am sure you could put a peeled apple or pear or whatever in there.

I tell you mommies, we live in a great age. Back when I was born in !(^#, , there were so few choices for moms like us. My mom was holistic before anyone knew what it was and she took a lot of flack. She says none of the things we have now were available. I count my blessings everyday, starting with my loving husband and my angelic son, and then I move on to Chocolate in endless variety.
#6 of 16 Old 09-03-2002, 04:12 PM

63, Huh.
#7 of 16 Old 09-03-2002, 07:48 PM

#8 of 16 Old 09-04-2002, 02:07 AM

yes, you can put anything in there! if you put unpeeled fruit, only the peel will be left behind (whatever the baby can't gum to death!).
#9 of 16 Old 09-04-2002, 12:29 PM

The mesh bag sounds kind of gross, really. Guess you have to see it to believe it.
#10 of 16 Old 09-04-2002, 02:50 PM

Hi

I don't have any help with the teething biscuits, but I did want to throw in my thoughts on the mesh bag feeder.

DS loves his and we use it all the time. I put very ripe frozen bananas in it when he was teething and he loved it although it was tough to clean.

Now that he has his upper teeth, the frozen bananas are too cold. So we have been putting in mangos, peaches, pears, whatever and he loves it. He is very into "doing it himself" but does quite yet have the manual dexterity to handle slippery cut up fruit and veggies. So this really does the trick.

Amy
#11 of 16 Old 03-28-2003, 10:12 AM

Healthy Times makes really hard teething biscuits, BTW. I didn't like how soft the Earth's Best biscuits were either.

P.S. I'd love a good recipe for teething biscuits. I didn't see one it my search.
#12 of 16 Old 03-29-2003, 01:23 AM

a suggestion on making the teething biscuits, but it would take some experimenting: I made chocolate biscotti once, you know, the real hard Italian cookies that you dunk in coffee, right? Well, to get them real hard like that, you bake them 2x. Once in a loaf (and it doesn't rise or change shape much) then you slice that, lay the slices on their side, & bake them again. That gets them real hard & dry. The dough was very stiff, stiffer than brownie batter or cookie dough.
Just thought that looking for biscotti recipes might help somebody with the technique, but you'd still have to figure out appropriate ingredients.
Good luck! Maria
#13 of 16 Old 03-29-2003, 01:46 AM

I found a great source for teething biscuits from St. Amour. They are hard but break down to mush quickly and ds loves them - lemon flavor, simple ingredients, no junk.
here's the link;

www.mastercontrol.com/frenchcookies/product.html

I ordered them by phone- not sure the website is working properly.

PS the co makes cookies called Rocks & Rolls - totally delish and addictive- no dairy, eggs, low sugar, etc. Worth a try!
#14 of 16 Old 03-29-2003, 06:00 PM

I'm going to move this over to Good Eating now to see if you can get more ideas.
#15 of 16 Old 03-30-2003, 12:18 PM

Healthy Times makes the most solid biscuits that I have found--they are very solid and hold up to lots of chomping & saliva. And they are organic. It's a mother made product--she first made them in her kitchen...the ingredients are:

organic oat flour,barley flour,mollasses,evaporated unrefined cane juice, cold pressed safflower oil, calcium carbonate & natural maple flavor.

Hope that helps!
#16 of 16 Old 03-30-2003, 03:56 PM

Here are the two teething biscuits from my book Simply Natural Baby Food. If your child has no teeth yet, a fat raw carrot is safe for teething. The cold is soothing also.

Zwieback is the east to make and good for any age. Use non-wheat bread if you want.

Zwieback

Preheat oven to 250. Cut 1/2-inch thick slices of bread into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide. Place on unoiled baking sheet. Bake one hour, or until strips are dried out and hard.

Teething Crackers

I found without the egg yolk, it didn't get that real hard texture but if anyone finds a successful substitute, let me know.

2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch kelp or sea salt
1 cup brown rice, barley, or whole wheat flour
1 to 2 tablespoons water or milk

Preheat oven to 350. Blend molasses, oil, egg yolk, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients to form a stiff dough. Add additional liquid if dough is too dry. Add extra flour if dough is too wet. On floured board, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Score dough into 1 x 2-inch strips. Place strips on unoiled baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. They will harden as they cool.

Yield: 2 dozen

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page