Quorn products - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey!

Has anyone tried any of the Quorn products? We sometimes get the patties and the nuggets and really like them alot. They are made from mycoprotein, which is something similar to a mushroom product...I think anyway. So does anyone have any pros or cons about these?
Racheal
#2 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 09:03 PM

I've tried them and loved them but the yhave recently been in the news. Supposedly approximately 10% of people whom eaten them ahave become violently ill. Maybe they are high allergy. Also, the yare saying the yare alot further from a mushroom than the producerwould liek us to believe. This is what I have heard but I have not investigated....

Here is a link:

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200208121.html
#3 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

wow...this is very interesting! I think I will definately stop eating these products till I do some more research. Thanks for the reply!

Racheal
#4 of 9 Old 09-03-2002, 08:30 PM
XM

#5 of 9 Old 09-04-2002, 12:48 PM

We eat them very often here especially the veggie dogs and nuggets. YUMMY!! It is very popular here in Europe and has been around for about 10 years, I believe? So far I have only heard from one of my friends that it gives her stomach problems. Otherwise everyone else I know - and most are non-vegetarians - are very happy with Quorn!
#6 of 9 Old 09-05-2002, 01:40 PM

here is another view of the "quorn debate" .. I am still on the fence...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,61686,00.html

I have to say that I have always found the CSPI a reputable org... I'll have to look into the Gardenburger allegation .. although I do like that company, too (from what little I know about it).
#7 of 9 Old 09-05-2002, 03:51 PM

I personally have concerns about:
1. the potential for hypersensitivity reactions in people with mold allergies

-and-

2. the fact that this species of mold is known to produce mycotoxins (poisons) under certain conditions. I, for one, do not have faith that mycotoxins will not make it into the final product.

Here's an FDA letter on the subject:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~rdb/opa-g091.html

I don't dig fake food, be it fake meat or fake cheese or fake anything else.
#8 of 9 Old 09-06-2002, 12:47 PM

is all of the animal torture conducted to "prove" quorn is safe! as a vegetarian who does not support animal testing for cosmetics, i cannot support it for growing some highly processed, suspect "food"! DESPITE the fact that when i lived in europe, i ate TONS of this stuff because i thought it was so yummy, and just never knew what it was made from or how much suffering went into its development!
#9 of 9 Old 09-06-2002, 05:27 PM

We don't eat Quorn products. I'm just not comfortable with manufactured mold. We do eat mushrooms, but at least mushrooms can occur in the wild. DH and I have way too many allergies to try it. Besides, we do eat meat. We don't eat meat at every meal, and I do use products like Gardenburger, but we don't really eat non-meat products that are supposed to taste like meat. When we eat vegetarian, I'd rather taste vegetables and grains. Even when we eat Gardenburgers, we don't eat the ones that are supposed to taste like "real" hamburgers. The only non-meat products we eat that are supposed to taste like meat are hot dogs, since real hot dogs are creepy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page