Smoothie Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-04-2002, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A while back there was a thread about smoothies with some great ideas which I didn't manage to copy down. Can somebody PLEEEEEASE help me out here? I need some recipes and the ones mentioned sounded so tasty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-04-2002, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These recipes are from Moosewood Restaurant cooks at home

Peach shake
2-3 fresh peaches peeled and sliced or pint frozen
1c plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
1/2 c peach juice or apricot nectar

strawberry shake
1pint fresh or frozen strawberries
1c plain,vanilla or lemon yogurt
3-4T orange, apple or applestrawberry juice

Mango shake
1 ripe mango, pitted and peeled
1T frozen limeade concentrate
1c milk or pineapple juice

Banana Shake
1 ripe banana
1c plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
1/2c oj
#3 of 18 Old 09-04-2002, 06:29 PM

i make them up as i go along.
usually i have frozen bananas in the freezer (freeze whole in peel, when you want to use it, stick it in the microwave for a few seconds, then snip off the top and squeeze it out like toothpaste! Looks like slime, but tastes good, and its already mashed). I use them and whatever fruit I have on hand (plums, oranges, and applesauce are always hits), add ice if I want it like a slushy. I usually add dry milk and vanilla to blend the flavors....some OJ concentrate or honey if it needs sweet......milk or yougurt or ice cream....blend and yummmmm
One the kids really liked (of course I cannot remember exactly what was in it) was apples (or applesauce), milk, vanilla, ice, cinnamon and I think peanut butter! some times I remember to slide in some flax seed oil too.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#4 of 18 Old 09-04-2002, 08:12 PM

I remember I posted a link to 10 wonderful, non-dairy smoothies. Here it is again if you want to see them.

http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-pregn...-smoothies.htm

Enjoy!
#5 of 18 Old 01-04-2003, 05:29 PM

I have been mixing my "smoothies" in my milkshake mixer. I use a banana, a handful of strawberries, plain soy milk and fresh orange juice. Right now it's dessert but I wouldn't mind making them for breckie with added flax for x-tra oomph.
#6 of 18 Old 01-05-2003, 02:06 PM

I freeze bananas too, but I peel them first. For smoothies our family favorite is simple: raspberries or strawberries (fresh or frozen), bananas (fresh or frozen) and apple juice. Voila.
#7 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 05:13 AM

This is my son's favorite smoothie:

frozen banana
scoop of peanut butter
scoop of frozen blueberries
chocolate soymilk

blend and enjoy!
#8 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 01:58 PM

We kinda wing it here too, but they always contain ~ yougart (soy or dairy), soymilk, banannas, frozen berries or peaches and usually flax oil ~ blend and serve!!!! I'll at times add juice, or whatever other fruit we have lying around that needs to be used but the staples are whats above!!!

#9 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Has anybody else used a bit of tofu in their smoothie, instead of yogurt? My boys, who are otherwise incredibly finicky, actually like smoothies with a frozen banana, a chunk of tofu (about 1/4 pound), some other friut either fresh or frozen like pineapple, berries or peaches, and some fruit juice also either frozen or not...depends on the quantity of other frozen goodies. I throw in some flax oil and also some "green powder" (a combination of dried and ground alfalfa, barley, wheatgrass etc. for added vitamins) and believe it or not, I conceal vegetables in there in the form of frozen chunks of pressure cooked carrots. The boys don't have any idea what's in there, but heh heh heh, they're eating all sorts of good stuff! I've been experimenting since I first started this thread a while ago. Smoothies are great!
#10 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 06:10 PM

How long will these keep for in the fridgedaire? Is there any special way you should store it? Or is it just a mix and drink kind of thing? I think I am going to go experiment a bit and see if I can make ds something yummy to drink.

Trish
#11 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mine are definitely a mix-and-drink kind of thing. Having said that, I have been known to set an "unfinished glass" in the fridge which has been drunk a bit later...although I don't think they taste very good after the frozen stuff has "melted".
#12 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 06:38 PM

Well I tried it. I don't have a lot on hand but I put a banana, 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1/4 cup of milk into the blender. I'm not sure if that fits the exact defination of a smoothie but ds really liked it. I just gave him a little at first because I wasn't sure if he would or not. He drank it right up and asked for more. I'll have to make sure to pick up some yogurt and maybe some frozen fruit next time I go to the store. I wish I had a health food store nearby so I could pick up some of that "green powder" that you spoke of. Ds is not really a big eater.

Trish
#13 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Someone at my health food store recommended it to me. It's great! It's called 100% Organic Green Food Blend by Viridian and it's made of organic wheat grass, alfalfa, bilberry fruit powder (similar to blueberries), and barley grass. It's supposed to be a vitamin bomb for kids who don't eat much fruit or vegetables. This is made in the UK but I'm sure there are other brands elsewhere. Good luck finding it!
#14 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 06:54 PM

Hmmmm the local drug store does have a GNC in it. I wonder if that is something they would carry. I might have to check that out.

Trish
#15 of 18 Old 01-07-2003, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We made smoothies with Kale Greens tonight and it was actually pretty good. Even dh (who NEVER tries new/unusual things) liked it. Here's what we did (I don't measure, I just dump it in):

Frozen Pineapple about 6 chunks (I drain a can of pineapple and freeze it in a baggie)

Frozen Peaches about 8 slices

1/2 frozen banana

handful of Kale greens

about a cup of apple juice

It looked and tasted like a Kiwi smoothie. I think it would be really good with strawberries but I was afraid it would look bad (green and red = brown?).

Dd (2 yrs) sucked down 14 oz of it.
#16 of 18 Old 01-08-2003, 03:17 PM

I had a fabulous smoothie at a restaurant the other day:
blackberries
banana
soymilk
flaxseeds
I don't think any of the fruit was frozen because the smoothie was cold, but not slushy. Very yummy, and ds (16mo) drank a lot of it. Now I'm inspired!! I've been trying for a while to get some flax oil into him, and I think I've found a way.
#17 of 18 Old 01-18-2003, 02:14 AM

I make alot of smoothies and they are almost always the same:

Banana - fresh or frozen (to freeze I peel, break up into pieces and freeze in a freezer bag - I think the whole banana with peel gets too brown and gross)

Frozen Berries or frozen Peaches - pick 1-3 depending on your mood: Mixed berries or Blueberries or Strawberries or Raspberries or Cherries or Peaches

Plain yogurt (sweetened yogurt makes it grossly sweet)

Juice: Orange or Cranberry or Apple

Sometimes I add powdered dry milk for extra protein (like when I'm pregnant or feel that my protein intake has been low)

I put leftovers either into a frozen popsicle tray (my three year old loves those) or a plastic kids cup with plastic wrap over it and then the kids cup lid. I will let the cup thaw at room temp for about an hour (I don't want to the plastic against food in the microwave) and that is a good snack for me.
#18 of 18 Old 01-20-2003, 02:15 AM

Here's my favorite:

1 banana
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder (available at Whole Foods)
drop of vanilla
cinammon

yum. think I'll make one tonight!

mommy at last

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page