Tis the season to make gazpacho! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2002, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need a way to use up the bounty of your garden/local farmers market?

I look forward to this time of year because I love love love gazpacho! Please share your recipes- mine is pretty basic, I've seen plenty of fancy ones but this is my own special comfort food:

2-3 cucumbers, peeled
lots of tomatoes- maybe 4 big or 6 small
1 red onion
1/2 vidalia or white onion
1/4 cup cilantro
2 red peppers
4 cloves garlic

Vegetable juice- I use very veggie but V8 will work too
Olive oil
Tabasco
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Set aside 1/2 cuke, 1/2-1 tomato, 1/2 onion, 1/2 red pepper.

Chop the rest of the veggies into large chunks, and mince the garlic. Add the veggies, cilantro, and garlic to the blender in batches, adding 1/2 cup of veggie juice and pureeing until smooth. Do this until you have used up all of the veggies, placing the pureed veggies in a large bowl.

Finely chop the veggies you set aside and add them to the soup.

Add olive oil (maybe 1/4 cup), a splash of balsamic vinegar, a dash of tabasco (0r more if you like it spicy) and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and serve at room temp or chilled.

Yummy- we serve this with crusty bread and goat cheese. I could drink it out of the bowl I like it so much!
#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2002, 04:45 PM

I printed out your recipe it looked so good.
#3 of 7 Old 09-05-2002, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yummy!

Thanks I was just wondering what to do with all my tomatoes. I hve red and yellow which with thw onions and cucumbers ahouls make a lovely and yummy gazpacho. I have been craving thia forever, don't know why I didn't htink of it

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 7 Old 09-06-2002, 12:31 PM

i LOVE gazpacho!!! i especially like the way they make it in spain, which is like your recipe, only when they blend it up they add about a half cup of crusty dry bread or croutons or bread crumbs, this makes the texture different--and to me-- a lot nicer. now i make mine this way too. you might try it next time and see what you think!
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2002, 06:43 PM

Have you tried roasting everything in the oven before making the soup? A friend of mine taught me this, and it's so awesome! I just throw tomatoes, peppers, onions,garlic on a cookie sheet and roast them for about 20 minutes. If I don't have time, I roast my peppers and chilis over a flame and use the rest raw. Also, I like to add a good amount of lime juice to mine.

Thanks for the reminder! I know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow!!
#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2002, 02:25 AM
Len

I use green peppers instead of red; DH doesn't like cukes, so mine it's pretty much tomatoes, onions, peppers and lotsa garlic... plus the olive oil and little vinegar. I've never used veggie juice, nor cilantro, though.
I like to chop some avocado at the end, and ditto for the bread crumbs, mary ann.
#7 of 7 Old 09-09-2002, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Maryann- I'm going to try the bread thing this week.

And I'll try roasting the veggies next week SoHappy.

The avocado idea is a great one too, sadly I am allergic to avocado, though every few years I get up the guts to see if they still make me sick- I tried again a few months ago and they still make me awful sick (but I thoroughly enjoyed eating it!).

-jeanie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page