What is wrong with artificial food dyes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-28-2004, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I understand that they are artificial and that alone is enough for me not to really use them. I like my food the intended color. However are there specific health reasons? I know next to nothing about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 03:20 AM

FD&C colors are petroleum derivatives, sometimes called coal tar dyes (well, most of them). In large quantities, they are carcinogenic, like most petroleum products.

In the quantities used in foods and medicines, I personally do not think they are harmful (except to the sensative). However, the people who make the products, the factory workers, are exposed to enough to be harmed. I don't buy food with colors in order to boycott those working conditions.

I cannot avoid it in medications, though. The FDA only allows artificial colors because they are pure (no trace contaminants) and will not cause an interferrance with the medicines in the formulation. It's in my prescriptions and my advil, too.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBeary77
Ok, back. So yeah, my kids turn into demon spawn when they have anything artificial. I want to pull my hair out in clumps and run screaming into the woods where I can then find a solitary area where I can assume the fetal position while rocking and sucking my thumb and whimpering, "Mommy."

It totally messes with their mental state and their behavior would rival that of the Indiana Pacers when they played the Detroit Pistons a month or so back and the brawl broke out. (Google that if you're not sure what I'm referring to.)

They scream, yell, argue, don't listen, can't be reasoned with, can't focus, are violent, nasty, aggressive, obnoxious, and any other array of negative behavior that you can think it.

My dd had a red kids vitamin once.... she screamed for a half hour. Just screamed. Could not be consoled.

My son has smashed 2 dozen eggs on the carpet, he sashed a 3rd dozen in the same spot minutes after we cleaned up the first 2 dozen, squirted orange lotion all over the carpet, dumped a gallon of water on the carpet, squirted/dumped/poured soy sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, honey, syrup, and water on the carpet, dumped baking soda AND protein powder on the kitchen floor (thankfully this one was not carpet!), poured water out of the bathtub in the moments it took me to get them clean clothes & towels form their room & the dryer steps away (1 floor apartment).

Shall I go on?

Now you know why artificials are bad for us.

Oh, I get migraines and turn into a total nasty person. My kids get headaches, too.

My son does this too.I would sooner cut off my right hand than too hand him food with artificial food coloring or corn syrup.He turns into Mr Hyde and acts retarded...(and I am not saying this to be mean or funny...I would never openly call my son names)but he does act like this when he gets these foods.It is humiliating for him because he can't control himself and the way he acts and it makes his friends look at him wierd..(Those are his words)...
#4 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 AM

The boy I watch is the same way. It's Jekyll and Hyde. His parents don't really accept it has anything to do with his (terrible) diet, though. I wish I could send them on a 2 week trip to Hawaii and detox the little fella, but I can't.

Anyhow, I notice it too - give him a bright neon blue glass of juice and he can't be reasoned with, he gets violent, his cheeks are flushed and he is just out of control.

My sister gave up art. colors/flavors, preservatives, additives when she went vegan and it helped improve her asthma. (That could have been the dairy, or the other stuff, or both... who knows?)

flowersforyou.gif

#5 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 11:59 AM

#6 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBeary77
Ok, back. So yeah, my kids turn into demon spawn when they have anything artificial. I want to pull my hair out in clumps and run screaming into the woods where I can then find a solitary area where I can assume the fetal position while rocking and sucking my thumb and whimpering, "Mommy."

It totally messes with their mental state and their behavior would rival that of the Indiana Pacers when they played the Detroit Pistons a month or so back and the brawl broke out. (Google that if you're not sure what I'm referring to.)
:LOL I have nothing to add to this thread, I just wanted to point out how funny this is. It gave me a real laugh. I have this in my .sig on most other boards:

"I'm a big fan of the Nobel Peace Prize." - Ron Artest after jumping into the stands to attack a fan
#7 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

nak
carriebeary77-that was hilarious
thanks everyone for the info and stories. i never really thought much about dyes until seeing all the dyed frosting for christmas cookies. sure, sometimes it looks pretty but the idea of what dyes are made of turns me off
does anyone use anything natural for coloring or just leave things the way nature intended?
#8 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 06:05 PM

I go all Martha-y with buttery cream colored frosting on ginger cookies. Very chic!

For cakes that I'm going to pipe letter on, I use dye, but lightly, because bright green frosting is nasty, IMO. You can use caramel color, annatto or carmine (natural colors) if you like. Carmine is beetle shells, though, so petroleum might be the lesser evil if you don't like bugs.
Chocolate powder is excellent for coloring, if you like chocolate.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 06:29 PM

A study linked artificial food colorings and preservatives with hyperactivity levels in very young children. Study was done by John Warner, MD out of Southampton, United Kingdom & published in Archives of Disease in Childhood, 89:506-511. They looked at the preservative sodium benzoate and colorings including tartrazine, sunset yellow, and carmoisine. Parental ratings showed that children were less hyperactive when the additives were removed from their diets.

So, yeah, what the others said.
#10 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 06:34 PM

What Carrie said, yes, totally, mine too.......

I had to really clamp down on stuff, and read labels even more than ever, because my youngest would bounce off the walls. Natural colors seem to be fine, but the artifical, it is like I would have a different child, I could not even recognize......

This mostly has happened after MIL gave him something junky, like those glow in the dark marshamallow coconut snowball things. Or colored dots on paper.
#11 of 14 Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomi'sMommy
Anyone have a link about this that I could send to MIL?

Heiderose
Pop that in your search engine and you will get loads of stuff...
#12 of 14 Old 12-31-2004, 12:14 AM

Just wanted to add that dyes are neurotoxic, meaning they poison the nervous system, even causing permament damage.

The lining of the nerves (the myelin sheath) is a mucousal lining that can easily be permamently burnt off leaving the nerves exposed and irritated. Think of electrical wires and the flexible plastic casing they are contained in, if that casing is burnt or cracked off the wire is then exposed. Same as the nerves of the nervous system.

Many things in a child's (and ours) enviroment cause nervous damage. Some permament and some not, but dyes are one of the bigger culprits.

To add colour to frosting I use plant dyes and veggies dyes such as reduced carrot juice for orange, beet juice for pink and purple, dandelion flower tea reduced for yellow. Then a combo of these for other colours.

I once posted a big list of plant based dyes for colour, I will see if I can find it.
#13 of 14 Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 AM

#14 of 14 Old 12-31-2004, 07:37 PM

Here is a link to purchase organic food coloring, but looking at what they offer, you could probably make most of them yourself.

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=72

They have a list of natural flavors, too, to check out.

Hope this helps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page