NT Mamas January Thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2005, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi folks. The fish and vegetable diet is going well around here. My husband (who is the one who needs it, according to the chiro) is being very strict. I don't think he's ever been strict with a diet in his life. But he's got asthma and that got his attention. I have not been so strict. I have cheated with various things like eggs, liver, and kefir. :

Other than that, it's snowing here, but just a slight dusting. It's been wet and cold for about two weeks but it looks like a bit of a dry spell is coming our way. I have been working like crazy on my "for-pay" work. I run very hot and cold, so when I work, I tend to fit about a week's worth in two days (or less).

Oh the key thing, I think I can say that I am over the PPD. September was my last episode and that was right after the miscarriage and a bunch of other hoopla. Now that we have tightened our belts after holiday extravagances, I can say that I am feeling better than ever. It's pretty incredible. I had forgotten what "normal" feels like and now I am doing even better than that.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 07:19 PM

Amanda,

I'm SO happy to hear you are post 'PPD'. I had a client with such severe PPD that she basically missed out on the first 10 months of her daughters life, as she literally could not take care of the baby or herself, much less.

It's WONDERFUL to hear how dietary changes have made such a big difference. I read your link to your amino acid problem. It makes me want to get tested, just to see how my 'profile' would look. I am assuming a regular doc can't do it, and I'd need to contact a special lab?

/big hugs!

OH, meant to PM you, but I no longer have a Kombucha...long story short, I tossed it after forgetting to 'brew it up' and didn't want to risk it. But I can put you in contact with a lady that still has them, if you want one now that it's post the Christmas 'busy' season...
Old 01-11-2005, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
sorry. . .

Living the good life
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Thanks Heather. I'll poke around here for someone with a mushroom.

A regular doc could order the test if he or she was willing. They would just get the kit from that lab I linked in the thread. There are probably other labs as well. I need to have my follow-up test done. It should be interesting.

My PPD was very, very bad. If my mom had not been here to help, I am sure we would have had to hire someone basically to watch me and care for Frederick.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I havn't "bought the cow" yet, so I may keep plugging away. Dang I just want some pasture land now.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I havn't "bought the cow" yet, so I may keep plugging away. Dang I just want some pasture land now.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 PM

Hi! Just wnated to subscribe. I just called my husband and told him to pick up Nourishing Traditions. I've also been reading the allergy thread and probiotics thread. I never expected to learn so much while seeking info on my daughter's allergies. Finally went to a holistic pediatrician today who accepts our insurance. It was wonderful. He agreed with the allergies causing her reflux ( three other docs discounted me and told me to put her back on dairy/soy/wheat/oats) and agreed that they probably came from the vaccines. YEAH! I can't wait to start reading NT. Thanks for all your input.

Moneca blessed wife to Payton 9/29/00 and mom to Sierra Bear 01/01/04 & Kodiak :
Old 01-11-2005, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah MountainMon!!!! I am glad the visit with the ped. went well.

Be sure to explore vaccine reversal via homeopathics. I have seen the protocol reverse serious issues with children. It helps to rebalance the immune and nervous systems while purging the vaccine out of the body.

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

GaleForce...I am so happy to hear your news!!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:55 AM

Welcome Moneca! I'm bumping another post for you that may make you laugh (it made me laugh when I saw your posts in Health and Healing):

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=199342

Old 01-12-2005, 01:09 AM

Hey Mountain Mom - You and I are hangin' out on the same threads! (Dealing with the same stuff)

Xenabyte - Me! Me! Me! I'd love to know how your dairy-free yogurt turned out! Also, it was me with the yucky vinegar oatmeal. I followed the recipe in NT, which was 2 T vinegar to 2 cups water. I used raw apple cider vinegar. Would you mind sharing how you make ginger water kefir? I'm so brand new to all of this, but I know I need to start fermenting stuff PRONTO for my little angel DD (poor baby!) Then, could I use ginger water kefir in place of whey in some recipes? (like the oatmeal issue?)

Toraji - No, I didn't try the lemon juice. I do have some organic lemons in the fridge, so I'll try that tonight. Since you say that I really can simply soak it in water overnight in a warm spot, then perhaps I could just change the ratio of vinegar/lemon juice to water and get a little more benefit? Also, if I do soak in just warm water, is it better to soak longer - like for a few days? I'm also interested in the construction of the warming box!

The hard part about this for me is wondering - if I do X (changing up the recipes), will I still get the benefits I was seeking??? How do you know when the phytic acid has been neutralized?

AJP - thanks for that fascinating information on the oats! I had already put some out for soaking (intending to drain and start sprouting process tomorrow.) :LOL oh well.

OK, what does everyone use for a warm spot? My oven only goes down to 170, a common problem I hear. I haven't even attempted yogurt or anything yet. I'm so new to this, but I first tackled making some good stocks - having so much fun with that!!

The warmest spot in our house is on top of the computer. It sits in a little spot in the desk, and the air around it is warm - would this work until I figure out a better solution?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Hey Mountain Mom - You and I are hangin' out on the same threads! (Dealing with the same stuff)
Hey Pilgram...I think you mean Mountainmon....I am Mountain Mom; she is Mountain Moneca...good way to remember it...

There is also Mountain, Mountain Chick and Mountain Mama So it can and does get confusing! :LOL

Funny link GaleForce!
Old 01-12-2005, 06:55 AM

AJP, thanks for the information on oats. I was wondering about making oatcakes - an oatmeal cracker, a big part of the tradiional Scottish diet but usually very quickly made from ground oats, a hard fat, and water. The dough is very dry and crumbly and it couldn't be left to soak at all. I guess we don't need to get the maximum mineral content out of each serving of grain we eat, but I'd like to improve on my oatcake recipe. I was thinking about sprouting the groats and then blending and oven-drying, but I might not bother now.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:20 PM

Hey gals. Some of you may have heard me talk about a before and after picture -- the driver's license from when I had been a vegan for a while and the following license when I had been on a no-grain candida diet for a month. I have it on shutterfly and I wonder if you can view it. Do you have to be logged in?

URL removed due to technical difficulties. LOL

edited to clarify that I was the same body weight in both pictures. In the vegan picture I was feeling great. In the candida picture I was going through major candida die-off and had pretty severe PPD. I hope you all can see the pic.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:54 PM

The pics are tiny. what is the point.

Which time did you feel better?

Now NT is yet another time. How do you look/feel in comparison?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Following you along, we were sick with PPD at the same time and our healing hhas kinda paralleled. I know I "looked great" when I was my sickest!

kinda wierd.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 PM

Gale force - Funny link. I guess there are a bit too many mountain people! I know this is off the subject - Mountainmom mentioned a homeopathic vaccine reversal and I can't find anything on the net except one sentence in an article that does not mention the particular homeopathic med used. Can anyone clue me in and could I use it on a 12 month old?

Moneca blessed wife to Payton 9/29/00 and mom to Sierra Bear 1/1/04 & Kodiak :
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

hey Moneca!!

I think that the most 'generic' remedy you can administer is Thuja, but I think that its important to see a Classical Homeopathic Doctor, who will determine which remedies are the ones that your little one needs.

Homeopathics are very specific, if you use one that doesn't need to be used, it literally does nothing thus a waste of time, money and resources.

My close friends little boy did the reversal with the help of a classical homeopath and it was like watching a layer of mucous peel off his nervous system. It was like he woke up and was clear for the first time!

Do seek the guidance of a classical Homeopathic Doctor on this one!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:50 PM

Here are the results of my yogurt from rice milk attempt, #1:

It was not the most pleasant tasting stuff, and it was too liquidy....

Here is what I did incase you want a reference for your own 'trials'...

Vanilla Rice Milk Yogurt (gravy) /bleh!

6 Tbs Arrowroot powder
1 Liter (quart canning jar) (4 cups) rice milk (I used vanilla Rice Dream)
1 dry packet of yogurt starter
1/4 cup Rapadura
dash Vanilla Extract (organic)

I heated the rice milk to about 180 F, took it off the heat, then added in the sugar and stirred to dissolve. I let it cool a bit more, to about 140 deg F and removed 1/2 cup of the milk. 1/4 of the removed milk I mixed with the 6 Tbs of Arrowroot powder. The other 1/4 cup I reserved to mix with the yogurt culture.

I added in the dash of vanilla extract to the pot of rice milk and then stirred in the arrowroot powder to the rice milk. It almost instantly thickened up to a wonderful 'pudding consistancy'! Then I let it set, and tried not to stir it more. When it was closer to 115 deg F, I added in the last 1/4 cup rice milk that I mixed with the starter. Then I stirred to get it to mix well. Here is where I think it went wrong, consistancy wise. By continuing to stir and adding in the other liquids, it kinda thinned down to a 'gravy' consistancy.

I poured it into little half pint size canning jars and then incubated for 4 1/2 hours. When I opened one to see what it had done, it was still thin 'gravy' like consistancy'. I tasted it and well, it was definitely NOT something I'd be willing to eat. I refrigerated the other jars, jic it would set up overnight in the refrigerator, but it didn't and it still tastes kind gross to me.

So that was my attempt. However, I now know that I can make pudding with rice milk, if need be. Just don't keep stirring it! I do know that this is a tendency of arrowroot. It will thicken and if it stays hot or you keep stirring it, it'll thin back down. It might just be I need to find a way to not stir as much and cool it faster and the flavor could just be I don't like fermented rice milk flavor...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina
AJP, thanks for the information on oats. I was wondering about making oatcakes - an oatmeal cracker, a big part of the tradiional Scottish diet but usually very quickly made from ground oats, a hard fat, and water. The dough is very dry and crumbly and it couldn't be left to soak at all. I guess we don't need to get the maximum mineral content out of each serving of grain we eat, but I'd like to improve on my oatcake recipe. I was thinking about sprouting the groats and then blending and oven-drying, but I might not bother now.
I think you could still make them better (healthier) by soaking the oats, even if they don't sprout. Oats are high in phytates, and the processes I mentioned that oat groats have gone through wouldn't do much to reduce it, but soaking would. If you don't have a grain mill, just soak the whole oats in water with some whey or kefir added for at least 12 hours (in a warm-ish place), then drain well and grind them in a food processor (not sure a blender would work here), and either dry them to use in the recipe or if it's not too wet just add the other ingredients and proceed with the recipe. If you do have a grain mill, after soaking I'd dry them whole and then grind, you could more precisely control the moisture level in the recipe that way.

I've been wanting to make oat cakes, too. I've never had a "real" one, but they sound good when I read about them, I've tried a couple of recipes but they came out too chewy and cookie-like. I want that dry, crumbly texture. Would you mind sharing the recipe you use?

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentfulady
The pics are tiny. what is the point.

Which time did you feel better?

Now NT is yet another time. How do you look/feel in comparison?
OK, so you can see them. Good.

But, no, NT is not yet another time. I have stayed on the same diet, just a little less strict in terms of carbs, since the beginning of the candida diet. NT put a name to it.

I can't say I felt better in the second pic because I was going through hell in many ways. But my body was beginning to function better.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a way to make the pictures bigger, Amanda?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Is there a way to make the pictures bigger, Amanda?
I'll work on it, but my husband is about to leave for two days.

edited to add: that sure is small and the resolution is terrible. i'll take down the link for now.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh MY!!

My dh is on nights right now, working 7 pm - 5 am. It sucks. But that switches next week to 7am - 3pm

Enjoy your time with him, right now!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Well, after 6 days on my kitchen cupboard, I put the orangina in the fridge on Sunday. It's nicely carbonated now, but still quite bitter-tasting. I really wish I had tried the juice when I squeezed it because I don't know whether it was bitter to begin with. It smells like must in a primary ferment (for any of you who make wine) - so, not unpleasant. Hopefully the flavour will change for the better over time.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:01 PM

I wanted to post this for all of you NT mamas, as an anti-soy source that has no reference to Sally Fallon
http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm
In light of the recent soy thread, I'm sure you'll understand I didn't want to start that again - but I thought you all would find it interesting
Mandy
Old 01-12-2005, 07:01 PM

Mountain mom,
Thanks for the thuja info. Since I don't know what I'm doing I'm going to seek out a homeopathic doc and hope for the best.

Moneca blessed wife to Payton 9/29/00 and mom to Sierra Bear 1/01/04 and Kodiak :
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Here is a description of the famed fermenter box, built by my DH:
It is basically a thin plywood box shell around a "box" made from thick insulated sheathing that we had around. http://www.aknightcompany.com/produc...s_overview.asp

The sheathing was cut and hot glued together to hold it in place as a box until the shell was built around it. Then the plywood was bolted to the sheathing, which helped hold it together, and serves as the attractive exterior. Then he put weatherstripping on the "lid" of the box to make it seal tight, and latches on the outside to cinch it down.

Inside is an electric food warming tray that we picked up at the thrift store for like a dollar. On top of the tray are 4 wide mouth mason jar screw bands. On top of the bands is a cookie sheet. This keeps the food off direct contact with the warming tray, and leaves space for air to circulate. So we put our food on top of the cookie sheet. The warming tray is hooked up to a reptile thermostat: http://www.zoomed.com/html/thermostats.php
That gives us a range of 70-110 deg F. It was just a dial gauge, so he put markings on the dial to show the different temperatures, and the thermostat is mounted to the exterior of the box.

Voila! Insulated temperature control at your fingertips!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:59 PM

This link is also interesting because it is vegan but strongly anti-soy:
http://www.vegan-straight-edge.org.uk/soyfood.htm

(He also comes to his own interesting conclusions on Dr. Price's research on another page on his site)
Old 01-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatzMama
I wanted to post this for all of you NT mamas, as an anti-soy source that has no reference to Sally Fallon
http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm
In light of the recent soy thread, I'm sure you'll understand I didn't want to start that again - but I thought you all would find it interesting
Mandy

That's a great link Katzmama! I remember seeing it a while back and lost it (the link) when my computer crashed about 6 months ago. So thank you!

I was interested in doing the liver/gallbladder flush, that is also mentioned on that site, but it says to do the kidney and parasite cleanse first.

I know the liver flush is safe while Breastfeeding, but was worried about doing a parasite cleanse. Anyone else have experience with doing a parasite cleanse while breastfeeding?

Oh, and whenever I've put orange or lemon slices in any drink, if it sets around for some amount of time, the bitter aeromatics really come through. So I usually just juice them and don't put in peels (except for a slice of fresh in a glass at serving time.)

I'm guessing the 'pith' might be the culprit, over even the peels. If you went 'Martha' on the peels, and sliced them thinly so no pith is left (like when you make candied orange peels) then it might taste better and not have the really 'bitter' tang.

User Tag List