NT Mamas January Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you do the lower bowel cleanse and tone the upper and lower digestive system? I'm very very new to the concept of cleansing, and although I probably will be pregnant or nursing for a long time, I hope to file the information away for future reference.
Also, what types of cleanses are safe for a nursing mom?

Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

There are several ways of toning, building and cleanse the lower and upper digestion. It really depends on you, how you eat, and your needs.

There really, IMO, isn't a cleanse that is suitable for nursing moms. Juicing is very effective as restoring balance without purging too much out too fast.

Its been three years since I cleanse and BOY I need to. But I am CLWing with dd sooooo, who knows.

I do alot of different herbals to restore balance when needed but I do not purge toxins, its just too dangerous, again IMO.

HTH..I know I am being vague on the build, tone and cleanse part but I dont' know your history too well.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:37 AM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina
AJP, here's a normal, non-soaked oatcake recipe that will let you know what they taste like.

So I'm going to try soaking groats, then, and see how that goes. I'll let you know if it works out well. I did look at some studies which showed very little reduction in phytic acid from soaking whole grains, the benefit only occuring form soaking wheat and rye flours. I wish someone else would do the research for me!
Thanks! I'll give it a try with soaked/dried/ground oat groats and see how it goes.

As for soaking whole grains - hmmm, I can't see how soaking whole oat groats would be very much different from soaking steel-cut oats. The groats are soft after soaking. I'll poke around a bit about that. If you have any links to those studies, I'd be interested in them.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Want to offer my advice on the parasite cleanse question. Parasites are scavengers and will try to find other hosts if rejected from their current host, which means they will flee into and onto the next closest person. If you are breastfeeding.....

I have a killer parasite cleanse that I get my clients to do and boy oh boy you should see what comes out.

Again....!!!
I have a question about this. First of all - PARASITES?!?! I never dreamed I could be living with PARASITES!!!! Ok, now that I've read up on them a bit, would it be safe to assume that IF I do have parasites that DD would automatically have them - being breastfed and sleeping in my bed, etc, etc.? I am so freaked out about this!

Oh, and can you explain why the cycles of the moon are important in the cleanse? My DH will totally think I've flipped my lid if I tell him this without a reason! :LOL

Oh another question - should the whole family do the parasite cleanse at the same time? (OK, I know that I can't do this while BF, but for later....)

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been thinking about how to store stock. Glass doesn't seem to work too well in the freezer. I've been using plastic milk bags, but hopefully my days of buying milk at the store are over. Would pressure canning be bad for stock? I know NT generally discourages canning, but I wonder if it's different since it's meat. Canned tuna and sardines don't seem to be a problem.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought two kinds of butter when I last went to the grocery store. One was organic butter -- the ingredients are organic pasteurized cream and sea salt from the Red Sea. The other was Normandy-style cultured butter. The ingredients are cream and bacterial cultures. Now, I don't know what the regulations are exactly, but I'm assuming that since it doesn't say pasteurized, it's not. I like the fact that the cultured butter is cultured, likely raw, and unsalted. But it's not organic. Is there any compelling reason to buy one or the other? Oh, the flavour of the cultured butter is IMO pretty mild, even though the package says it is distinct. And I find that while usually I don't care for unsalted butter just on a piece of bread, the cultured butter did have enough flavour that it was fine without salt.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Brisen,
I find I digest and assimilate the cultured butter better. The small bumps on the backs of my arms used to flare when I ate butter, even pastured organic, but since I switched to cultured, no more bumps from butter!

Okay Pilgram, this is going to be really : but parasites, particulairly pinworms come out of the anus onto the crack of your butt and lay their eggs during the fullmoon, sooo if your butt itches more or you feel more, hmmm, movement in that area, then yup, that parasites.

If you do cleanse, everyone in the house should, you are right about that. Even your pets. The parasites will move from host to host.

And another tidbit, we all have parasites. Any living creature does. Some more than others depending on your diet.

Mmmmm parasites.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:47 AM

Butter - I've got a choice here of cultured French butter, or entirely grass-fed Anchor butter which is not organic and shipped from New Zealand, or raw butter which is not organic and I don't know how grass fed but I think pretty much as it has a strong flavour. Right now I'm going for the raw butter. It has a pretty strong flavour and colour and I think has a good vitamin content, but I personally love the flavour of the cultured French butter.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:10 AM

AJP, I can't figure out how to post a link. I did some half-assed research Googling ' "phytic acid" "phytate" reduction grains' , that kind of phrase. Toraji posted a page of links to research some time ago.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:49 PM

Mountain mom,
Thanks for the info on the cleanse. I've been looking forward to reading it even though I'm BF and have to wait. I've got to ask a question that may be common sense to everyone else. Why the garlic suppository instead of just consuming raw garlic? Thanks for posting the info. Also, I've always found this thread to be supportive and encouraging as well as inforamative. Glad to see it return to that.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Moneca,
The garlic suppositories are used that way because thats where the parasites are residing during the full moon. They travel out of their cozy nest in your lower bowel and down into the anus area to lay their eggs for the month. So putting a garlic bulb there will anihilate them on target!

Eating garlic during the cleanse would be awesome too. In fact during the cleanse target your diet toward expelling the critters too, by eating lots of aromatic herbal foods and dense proteins.

An example of a good parasite meal is a rare steak, broth with lots of garlic, rosemary and thyme and a salad with phyllium seed dressing.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
I've been thinking about how to store stock. Glass doesn't seem to work too well in the freezer. I've been using plastic milk bags, but hopefully my days of buying milk at the store are over. Would pressure canning be bad for stock? I know NT generally discourages canning, but I wonder if it's different since it's meat. Canned tuna and sardines don't seem to be a problem.
I just store mine in plastic freezer bags, one cup in each bag, with a twist-tie. NT says plastic is OK for freezing or dry stuff. Then, when I want to use it, I run warm water over the bag to release it anywhere it's stuck and just put it in a pot to thaw.

Mandy
Old 01-15-2005, 06:04 PM

yea! I made waffles this morning with my soaked grains. They were great. Now, I need to know, do I need to soak, then sprout, then dry them for them to be really good, or is just soaking them prior to use enough? I soaked them in my Kefir.

Mountain mom, can you post a link to the cleansing info you are talking about? I am also breastfeeding, so I won't be doing a cleanse any time soon. Actually, I've been trying to do a cleanse for 7 years, but I've either been pregnant or nursing that whole time, so have put it off.

Thanks for the information/experiences! This is great stuff.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Gardenmommy, I can't post a link since the information comes from my herbal practice. The cleanse I posted is the one I have formulated for clients in my practice. BTW...I am a Master Herbalist.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatzMama
I just store mine in plastic freezer bags, one cup in each bag, with a twist-tie. NT says plastic is OK for freezing or dry stuff. Then, when I want to use it, I run warm water over the bag to release it anywhere it's stuck and just put it in a pot to thaw.

Mandy
really?

there's so much up to date info about plastics online, i personally dont trust plastics at all for food. when i use plastics, i know i'm taking a risk

i freeze stock in glass jars, i just make sure that they're not very full, and give the liquid plenty of room to expand. lately though, i've been using up stock as fast as i can make it! love those winter soups and stews.

heartbeat.gif

Old 01-15-2005, 11:49 PM

I've been meaning to ask about food storage. I'm still using Tupperware! :

I have at least begun to transfer foods to a glass bowl before microwaving them. I also bought some lids to fit my Corelle cereal bowls, but they aren't "see-through", so I have all these bowls in my fridge and I don't know what's in them without peeking.

Anyway, I'd like to know where y'all get your glass jars, what do they look like? Are we talking regular canning jars?

Thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the great info Mountain Mom! I just had NO CLUE!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:07 PM

Mountain Mom, I understand that you can't post a link to that info. (unless you wanted to try downloading your brain..., just don't ask me to do that, cuz at this point, I don't think you'd find too much in there that's worthwhile...)

Can you recommend a book covering that subject?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...03210?v=glance

This is a link to a fantastic book about bowel care. It not only deals with parasites but overall bowel health.

Any other book that I could offer to you about parasites would be very clinical and too intense IMO.

Learning via the Guide to better bowel care is amazing. This is a very comprehensive book about digestive issues.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:56 PM

mountain mom! You rock! I'm saving your parasite cleanse to my hard drive for use when DD finally weans.

On the soaking of whole grains...as far as I can remember, the studies that did not show reduction in phytates with soaking were with rolled oats. I was actually going to post about how modern rolled oats from the store have had their phytase (the enzyme that breaks down phytates) denatured due the rolling/steaming/etc process. So soaking them isn't going to do a damn thing unless you have oats that still contain their natural phytase.

BUT....these studies were just doing the soak with water I believe. I don't think they were soaking in whey. I am guessing (but am not an expert on this) that whey contains something that breaks down the phytates. So soaking in whey would break down the phytates even in grains that have been somewhat processed, like store bought flours. Don't quote me on this though, because I don't know for sure. But that is what makes sense to me, since the whey is a product of lacto-fermentation, that starting a lacto-ferment with the grains/flour would break down phytates even without natural phytase present. I have no idea how vinegar or lemon juice relates to this.

So then, you can do the water soak, but it won't work for grains that have been processed due to the phytase being denatured. Read this PDF about how just water soaking will not work on modern rolled oats: http://www.soilandhealth.org/06clipfile/MuesliSml.pdf

On freezing/canning stock: we just use wide-mouth mason jars and leave enough headspace for freezing. We make sure that the broth is cool before putting it in the freezer though, otherwise you have too much difference in the inside and outside temperature which causes the glass to break. But if you wanted to pressure can the stock, it should be fine. You don't want to pressure can any meats because it changes the protein structure to make it less digestible (this applies even to canned salmon and sardines unfortunately) but the broth wouldn't have enough protein in there to matter IMHO.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
Is it bad if I have teeny crescents on my thumbs, and none on any other fingers? <nervous laugh>
I have this too. Supposedly the healthiest people have big moons that gradually get smaller as you go towards the pinky. If I remember correctly, it could indicate thyroid issues.

ETA: found it!
"On the thumbnail, 25% of the nail bed should be covered by a moon. This means that your calcium intake is good. (The moons should decrease in size a little on the next 3 fingers. (If no moons appear, or you only have small moons, your parathyroid glands are not sending the calcium to where it needs to go in the body. (A red haze over the moons indicate circulatory weakness. (The pinky finger should have no moon. If it does, check the heart."
Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 PM

I finally made crispy pecans. Man, they are really good. Half of them were eaten just while I was cooling them! This is the first time I've done it because I'm afraid of the $$$ from leaving the oven on for 24 hours.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:24 PM

Yeah...I LOVE the crispy nuts (I've done pecans, almonds + walnuts so far).

So a while ago I posted about my IBS/lactose intolerence I'm beginning to think that I might have a thyroid issue. Not sure if the two are related but I also have major hair loss and crazy skin itchies, which I've read can be thyroid-related.

DH was trying to convince me that I'm allergic to soaked and/or sprouted grains...and I kept thinking PLEASE NO...I already don't eat meat...right now I can't digest dairy...I need my grains!!

So I'm working on a sourdough starter. It was going great for several days but yesterday when I checked it there was a lot of liquid on the top. Does this mean I need to feed it more? Or maybe that my house is too cold?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 AM

I'm not sure if it means that there is too much liquid, but mine always has liquid on the top after sitting for a while, I think you can just stir it in again. I'm still in the experimental stage with my sourdough.

mountain mom, that sounds like a good cleanse--dh and I recently did the one from drnatura.com. But I got nervous that I might have ovulated and got pregnant so I quit it early JIC. But I'm pretty sure it did some good. :LOL

So what is the concensus here regarding chicken stock--lid off or lid on??
Old 01-17-2005, 01:39 AM

Thank you Mountain Mom! That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Toraji, thank you for the info on soaking. The grains I soaked for my waffles were brown rice, millet, amaranth, and rolled oats. It sounds like soaking my oats doesn't improve them much. I think I might still soak them, on the off chance that the kefir does do something for them!

I'm not keen on sourdough. Is the sourdough that I keep reading about actually edible, like normal bread? Or is my sprouted Ezekial 4:9 bread good enough?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
So I'm working on a sourdough starter. It was going great for several days but yesterday when I checked it there was a lot of liquid on the top. Does this mean I need to feed it more? Or maybe that my house is too cold?
I really go by smell. If it smells good to you then IMO its still good. Just feed it up a little with a bit more flour.

By about 7 days, even earlier in warmer weather your starter is ready to go, so use it to make bread or keep it inert at a cooler temperature until you are ready to bake bread.

What I do is feed up a starter for bread for about 5 - 7 days. When its ready then I make bread with most of it, save about 1 tablespoon to begin another batch.

That way its bubbling all the time. Don't know if that is a 'textbook' way to do it, but it works for me.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenmama
I'm not keen on sourdough. Is the sourdough that I keep reading about actually edible, like normal bread? Or is my sprouted Ezekial 4:9 bread good enough
We love the 4:9 bread products around here. IMO they rock. I have tried to make a sprouted bread similiar to that for about 5 years with NOOOOO luck.

I can duplicate Manna bread but not 4:9. It is super!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:39 AM

Toraji, thank you for the information about oats. One of the studies I looked at said that adding 10% wheat or rye to another grain or legume would offer enough phytase to break down the phytates, but I'm not sure how that would work as porridge - not nice is my guess. I feel a bit stuck with oats now.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Tweetybird, I do my chicken stock lid on. I simmer about 24 hrs, and the lid fits such that I don't need to add water during that time.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 PM

Just subscribing (having finally worked my way through all this month's thread!). I've been slowly introducing NT things for a couple of months. Very slowly. My main improvement is raw milk which I now love and couldn't do without, though dh won't touch it for fear of listeria.

I've been gradually doing some stock, though I still haven't made it to a butcher's to buy bones for beef stock, and the woman in the supermarket meat counter gave me the weirdest look...

So, I need something other than water to soak my oats with for porridge? Traditional Scottish porridge is just oats, salt and water so it tastes weird with anything else -especially yoghurt :LOL

I love my sea salt and feeling free to add it to food.

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

Old 01-17-2005, 05:45 PM

Have any of you tried drinking colostrum? My soon-to-be goat just lost her poor babies to the freezing cold (sob) and she has colostrum right now that nobody is drinking. I wonder if it would taste alright?

Also, What is the ideal temperature for simmering broth? So far, all my broth has been cloudy and/or not very flavorful. I can't seem to find the right level to simmer it, it's either just sitting there doing nothing but keeping warm, or it's bubbling too much. How should it look when it's simmering?

I've been very pleased with my vinegar soaked oatmeal. I rinse out the soak water though. I wonder if that changes the nutrition? It just taste like mild sourdough the way I make it.

And thanks for the fingernail link! I've searched and searched for something like that!

User Tag List