feel good in your tummy bedtime snacks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-07-2002, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok -- I nightweaned my 2 year old 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed our night goes more smoothly if he's had a filling, satisfying snack before bed. Lately we've been melting cheese on a soft pretzle and cutting it into bites for him. But it is prepared food -- expensive and probably not great for him. He does seem to enjoy that it is warm and filling and helps him relax. Anyone have any other ideas for him?
#2 of 14 Old 09-07-2002, 07:43 PM

close to bed my kids can have bananas, yogurt(or applesauce), or a bowl of cereal.
maybe oatmeal?(scince u indicated warm snacks!) or grain toast with cheese?
warm milk... tea...(i know liquids arent always best before bed, especially when toilet training!)
i too wonder about good sleeping snacks!
is there a theory on what they should and shouldn't eat close to bedtime?
#3 of 14 Old 09-07-2002, 08:07 PM

Dd eats cheese, veggie botty, Veggie chips and sticks, graham crackers with and without peanut butter, and milk. Fatty snacks (like cheese and peanut butter) seem ti stick with her better and we have less night nursing/waking. A friend's children enjoy and ritual peanut butter waffle every night before bed. Be careful about store peanut butter, though, it can have a lot of sugar in it.
#4 of 14 Old 09-07-2002, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

wow! he eats pancakes with peanut butter every morning! I wonder if I should switch that to bedtime and give him something different for breakfast. Hmmm....
#5 of 14 Old 09-07-2002, 10:55 PM

buckwheat noodles, asian,are a big hit around here this week...
#6 of 14 Old 09-08-2002, 04:20 PM

My guys usually have yogurt, cereal & rice/soy milk, or peanut butter/cream cheese on toast. Always atleast the milk - it's part of our bedtime ritual. A few times recently I have made them a smoothie with frozen strawberries & bananas, soy milk, and a bit of honey. A novelty - not something I'd get around to making every evening! I think it is good to choose a few acceptable snacks to offer - the same every night. The consistency and routine is comforting in itself.
#7 of 14 Old 09-09-2002, 07:55 PM

We used to do oatmeal cooked with banana, but lately it's been bread or crackers with peanut butter.
#8 of 14 Old 09-09-2002, 10:53 PM

When I was in Jr. high and learning to cook, I used to make myself french toast at night. That was a good snack. Nowadays I eat it with applesauce instead of syrup, so it's a little healthier.
#9 of 14 Old 09-10-2002, 05:43 PM

as a kid i always ate either part of a grilled cheese sandwich, a bunch of cheese and crackers or ice cream (if it was a treat night)

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 14 Old 09-11-2002, 05:31 AM

I notice most people list cheese, peanut butter, milk--it's the protein. That's what I have read is recommended before bed-always protein. I just wrote this on another thread too, and i can't remember the article, but the reasoning has to do with the fact that protein is filling and satisfying, but also leaves them ready for a good breakfast in the morning (as opposed to craving something sugary I think?) Anyway, it works-anyone know more about that?
#11 of 14 Old 09-12-2002, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Try heating canned pumpkin in microwave, seasoning with cinnamon/nutmeg/ginger and a little honey/sugar/syrup, and then putting a blob of plain or vanilla yogurt on the side. Kids can mix in the yogurt, alternate bites, or eat one and then the other, as they choose. Yummy and nutritious! Applesauce is good this way too but not as nutritious as pumpkin.

Another of my favorite late-night snacks is reheated leftover rice with a little butter and some norigomi furikake (seaweed and sesame seed sprinkles from the Asian store).

Warm milk (I buy powdered soymilk and mix w/boiling water) with vanilla or almond extract is soothing and filling, esp. with a graham cracker to dip in it.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-12-2002, 07:30 PM

Envirobecca,

Heated pumpkin and yogurt. Yum. What a great idea.

K
#13 of 14 Old 09-13-2002, 04:25 AM

Rice is a good one-I've never had norigomi furikake but you can bet I'll be looking for it tomorrow!
The pumpkin and yogurt idea sounds delicious-my kids would go for that as dessert I'm sure!
Thanks for the new ideas!!
#14 of 14 Old 09-15-2002, 04:56 PM

Ya know those grilled sandwich makers?? My mom bought me one for college and I still use it........instead of making a grilled cheese sandwich, put 2 pieces of bread in it- and some applesauce- and then grill it......its almost like a little hot apple pie. You can use whatever bread you have around........I love them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page