where are the (trying to be) sugar free mamas? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 02-19-2005, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
arenciel- do you eat meat? you could always have some baked/broiled chicken breast cut up as a snack. my chiro says that basically at least 2 meals per day should be 30% protein, then 70% vegetables- ideally 1/2 raw and the other 1/2 lightly steamed. We pretty much do this for dinners. For lunch and snacks i have started to make grain salads with veggies- quinoa with beets, kale, and shredded carrots seasoned with flax seed oil, balsalmic vinegar, salt and pepper. then today i added some kidney beans. I figure I can eat that all day.
I also bought celery today to eat with almond butter (we go through tons of that); I also eat it on apples and rice cakes.

I mentioned to my chiro as well that i was nursing and basially needed to graze all day and veggies just didn't make me feel full. she said that for awhile it wont' b/c the body it used to the immediate fullness and sugar of the starches, but as I am weaned off of starchy snacks my body will get used to a slower burning fuel in the proteins and whole grains.

MamaE, i followed the sushi recipe in Laurel's Kitchen, if you have that. It calls for melting 1 T of honey in 3-4 T of rice vinegar, which I did. I figure 1 T is not a huge deal.

So.. shall we keep this thread for another week and then start one for March?

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 100 Old 02-20-2005, 02:01 PM

thanks newmainer, I like the idea of chicken as a snack! I think I also do better on days when I have really interesting leftovers for lunch.

i haven't had it for a while but carrots or other chopped veg dipped in salsa or plain yoghurt is a pretty good snack. Sometimes with the kids I make a plain apple tart - just pastry with apples chopped up and spread round the top and a little cinnamon.

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#93 of 100 Old 02-20-2005, 04:38 PM

Hi everybody! Just poppin' back in here today to get some support. We have my brother's birthday party today and its got me a bit stressed. I know there will be a birthday cake, which I am able to avoid but I know ds (2.5) will want some. The last birthday party I made a carrot cake and brought along... well 1) it didn't turn out and tasted like crap (my baking powder was bad!) and 2) I don't have the energy today to make another cake. I just made a veggie tray to take. And I though we would run to the store to get some Rice Dream (we're dairy free around here) so he can eat that instead of the ice cream. But I know there is going to be SO much other junk.

My ds is a big eater too. I can feed him here, get the fresh food in front of him at the party. But he will still find room for all the junk.

What do you do in these situations? It bothers me that a birthday party has to be so stressful to me.
#94 of 100 Old 02-21-2005, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mommy&Will, how did the party go for you yesterday? I don't have any tips myself - DD is still young enough (22 mos) that she doesn't know what junk is, but I know our day is coming.

I'll need some tips myself soon because we are going on vacation in 2 weeks and I know without my healthy kitchen and with oodles of temptations, I am headed for a crash. Should I just forget the diet while on vacation? Try to do it most of the time but allow myself some indulgences? Any ideas?

Newmainer, thanks for the sushi recipe. I got my supplies yesterday and I'm going to try to make some this week.

Count me in for the March thread!

I just found another great snack - fresh coconut meat. Keep it peeled in baggies in the fridge and you're in business. It's pretty satisfying too because it's loaded with healthy fat.
#95 of 100 Old 02-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Snacks: I do cashew butter, fruit, cashews, salsa, left overs (I love having cooked chicken in the fridge.)

I think I've had an easier time because I've been getting physically ill from processed foods so I am really hesistant about eating with too many ingredients or those I haven't challenged.

I've been making stuff from the Sugar Free Toddler book which I previously hated but am now enjoying since my palette has changed.

I have yet to try the stevia. I need to get on that.

It has been months since I'v had a donut and believe me this is hard in the land of a Dunkin' Donuts.
#96 of 100 Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 PM

MamaE - I like the coconut meat idea. DS would love that too.

Thanks for asking about the birthday party.... it didn't go great, but we survived and had no sugar meltdown from ds. The first think he ate when we walked in the door was a chocolate covered pretzel. He didn't want to eat the dinner (chicken chili) or touch his veggies. But he ate the cornbread muffin. Next thing I see him with is a chocolate chip cookie. Then Na-na is giving him some CHEESE! I should have brought the rice cheese and didn't.

So after all that.... when the cake comes out, I gave the kids some Juice Popsicles - No Sugar Added stuff. So he enjoyed that and didn't ask for cake, which actually was CHEESECAKE with sugar laden "cherries" on top of it. :

So, even though to some people this sounds horrid, we survived. And we are back to eating healthier today.
#97 of 100 Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Hey, when challenges stop coming our way, that's is when I will think something is wrong! Splurge days, and getting back on track is a vrey integral part of life, sounds like you did great!

I think I am going to get a tub of plain yogurt instead of my lovely organic stoneyfields farms fruit yogurt. I love it, and it isn't that badly laced with sugar, but I eat yogurt every day, and that is one of the few places I still get sugar. (even if it is "naturally milled organic sugar" ) I will go back to plain organic lowfat or nonfat yogurt with stevia, or very occasionally, honey.

Anyone ever try Fage yogurt from Greece? I have only ever had it from whole foods, but it is so good!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#98 of 100 Old 03-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Oh I hope you all will continue this thread-I know it's been a few weeks,
I've just deided we need to go sugar free for 2 reasons:
1. I am addicted
2. I think the amt of sugar I eat is affecting ds teeth (my bm must be pure sugar!). He has carries and they are getting worse

I am at a loss as to what to eat--especially lunches.
Any ideas?
Also alot of you said you eat eggs and veggies for breakfast--is it ok to eat eggs everyday???

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#99 of 100 Old 03-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aris mommy, I hope we keep it going too. I didn't want to start the March thread because I leave for vacation in 3 days and I didn't want to leave everyone hanging. Someone please start the March thread, though! I'll need it when I get back from vacation.

I'm addicted too. : I had been doing so well, and then last night, I dug into some chocolate chip cookies a friend had made and i had hid in the freezer. Now, today, I've eaten french toast smothered in maple syrup and a cup of hot carob drink. It could have been worse, I was dying to go to the store for ice cream and chocolate bars, but that would have been really cheating... As it is, I'm doing bad enough.

As for the eggs for breakfast, I do eat that just about every day, and I also wonder if that's OK. I thought eggs had been cleared re: causing high cholesterol, but still, every day? Maybe someone can help us out with that!

Someone start the Sugar Free Mamas March thread already! (If I don't see it up by tonight, I'll go ahead, I guess...)
#100 of 100 Old 03-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Just as well I checked before starting a new thread

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=258102

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page