Pantry Challenge mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 316 Old 01-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
actually- coming off a cleanse/detox those cookies sound pretty good.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#62 of 316 Old 01-09-2005, 09:23 PM

Very interesting thread....thank you mamas!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 AM

I was thinking of using it for Oatmeal cookies. So what if they are maple/brown sugar/apple/cinnamon/raisin oatmeal cookies right? :LOL[/QUOTE]

That sounds really good! LOL I'd eat those cookies. DH found some wafer cookies he stashed, bought at the dollar store, a little dry....lol, wonder how long they were in the cupboard??? ack
Another idea for the pot pie recipe is to actually use pie crust, make sure its not too "soupy" or it will run all over when cut. I'm sure someone here has good crust recipes >hint hint< but it will work with those unroll freezer crusts from the pillsburydoughboy.

We bought milk, bread, cheese and the newspaper today, but there are big sales on canned things this week may have to check those......Aldi's is still probably cheaper for that matter.
#64 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 02:27 AM

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. You've all given me some new meal ideas, even though my pantry isn't exactly "stocked". I'll give it a try, though I hardly think we'll make a month.

Keep it up ... it's fun to "watch"!
#65 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitareality
I joined this thread very late, but I just wanted to throw in my reason for finding this thread and challenge very appealing. I am addicted to purchasing canned food for blizzard scenarios that never happen. I also have a serious impulse purchase problem in the ethnic food area. My pantry has the appearance of the shopper being a raving hungry pregnant woman, because I was, LOL! So in terms of potentially turning over a new leaf and being more frugal and planful in my shopping, as well as using up 6 months worth of food bought on impulse while pregnant and a little nutty this challenge has my name written all over it.

:

nak

this is so what my cupboards look like! that darn ethnic food section is a killer. i've got a ton of curry i need to use up. hmmm, maybe i'll add curried chicken to our leftovers this week.
#66 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM

Doing a grocery run today- big ice storm coming in, better stock up. Also, DD is ill so going to the Dr.

My list of dinners I am going to change to a menu for fun. Its working real well. DH loves the idea.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#67 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Starting in today, ladies.
Good news, just got a crock pot. Bad news, have no idea what to do with it
Anyone have any ideas on how to use up grains? I've got like 1/2 c of this, 3/4 c of that, ykwim? I'd love to make all the odd ends into a meal.

Mama to 3:
#68 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
Anyone have any ideas on how to use up grains? I've got like 1/2 c of this, 3/4 c of that, ykwim? I'd love to make all the odd ends into a meal.
Can you tell us roughly how much you have of which grains? I bet you'd get a bunch of ideas if you did.
#69 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Well, I bought fruit and yogurt yesterday. DS refuses to have anything to do w/ the cans of fruit cocktail that have been in there forever, so I was knind of stuck since he's a little fruit bat. Other than that, though, all meals are still coming from the rapidly emptying pantry. Last night was mexican. I found a long lost box o' tostada shells. I mixed in a can of green enchilada sauce w/ some canned chicken and cheese and put it over beans on the tostadas. It was pretty good b/c we have salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, and sour cream. Even DD was happy. She hasn't been to pleased w/ the couscous, so it was a welcome change.

tnrsmom-toss them in pancakes or bread (noticing a pattern yet : ).
I've also tried this recipe before:

NO BAKE OATMEAL COOKIES

2 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 stick butter
1/2 c. cocoa (opt.)
3 c. quick oats
1 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Cook first four ingredients in heavy saucepan for 1 minute. Stir in oats, peanut butter and vanilla. Pour into a greased flat dish. Cut into small squares.

You could probably mess aroud w/ the packets. You could omit sugar, since it's already in there. I'd probably leave out cocoa, as well. Chocolate apple brown sugar peanut butter doesn't sound that great,lol. I bet just the apple or raisin kind would be yummy, though.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#70 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 03:12 PM

That is my all time favorite cookie recipe!! The only thing I do differently is I just drop them on wax paper rather than spreading them in a pan. Very easy and sooooooooooooo yummy!

I just put tonight's dinner in the crockpot. Trying a lasagna. I put a bit of sauce, some ground beef, ricotta and more sauce. I think I did 3 or 4 layers. I had a Costco size ricotta that expires next week so I am using it up. I also made a lasagna the traditional way (except I am out of Mozzerella) and froze it. I then made some lasagna roll-ups. I am quick freezing them on a cookie sheet and then will put them in a ziploc. I figure they will be good for the kids to pull out as a snack or whatever. I have 1 jar of marinara left that I will keep for theis. Other than that I used up all of my lasagna noodles (2 packages), my spagetti sauce, ricotta, and most of my ground beef. I still have a bit of meat left for another casserole type dish.

Last night I made chicken breast patties (schwanns), put some Velveeta (didn't know I had it, must have been for a recipe I never made LOL) on top and then covered them with BBQ sauce and baked. Made some potatoes and green beans to go with it and everyone was happy.

This is honestly the best thing I have ever done for my own personal growth. I used to be the person that could not make something if I was missing 1 ingredient from a recipe. I had no idea how to improvise and was not good at coming up with my own dinner ideas. This has made me a new person. I am sure dh is getting sick of hearing how proud of my self I am. :LOL
#71 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose
Can you tell us roughly how much you have of which grains? I bet you'd get a bunch of ideas if you did.
Allrighty, I'd say I've got about 1 c each wild rice and barley.
I've got about 1/4 c quinoa.
And I've got about 2 c each wheat berries, rye berries, israeli couscous, and bulgur.
Any ideas?

Mama to 3:
#72 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Allrighty, I'd say I've got about 1 c each wild rice and barley.
I've got about 1/4 c quinoa.
And I've got about 2 c each wheat berries, rye berries, israeli couscous, and bulgur.
Any ideas?
nak

for the rice you can make "cheesy rice & tomatoes". this is one of our faves. it's from "not just beans", which is an awesome cookbook. the lady who wrote it used to post on the frugal living board at parents place back when i used to go there. you can find it, along with lots of tips & a few more recipes at www.notjustbeans.com

anyway, the recipe is:

1 cup rice, cooked
1 can stewed tomatoes (almost any type of canned or the equivalent fresh works...just NOT sauce. has to have chunks)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
2 T olive oil
1-2 cups shredded cheese
salt & pep to taste
(i add minced garlic as well)

saute onion, celery, pepper, & garlic in oil. once browned add tomatoes & rice. simmer about 15 min. add cheese & warm until cheese melts.

this makes enough for dh & i for dinner w/ leftovers for lunch the next day. for a big family you'd probably want to double if using as a main course. i imagine cubed or shredded chicken would be good in this as well.
#73 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Check out his website. They have something like 1400 crock pot recipes!
http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

Serendipitous about this thread. I spent this past weekend organizing my pantry and makings list of what I had (20 cans of whole peeled plum tomatoes, 3 jars unopened chili powder ) and what I didn't have (no baking powder or rice. ) I then bought the few things I needed and planned menus around the things I had way too much of! Chili any one??

I will watch this thread closely for tips and tricks. Thanks!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#74 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 04:01 PM

Well, I think it'd be cheating if I did it this month, we just finished stocking up for the baby, but I just realized $3 has to do groceries and gas till the 18th...

I just sliced, cooked and froze 8 lbs of carrots, about 2 dozen cooked chicken legs, I have 8 loaves of ww bread in the freezer, and I stocked up on canned fruit. I did want to add to the chicken pot pie, that another substitute is a combination of canned milk, flour and chicken broth (I use homemade- see above where I cooked dozens of chicken legs - I simply skim off the fat and have the world's tastiest broth. Now if only I could figure out how to render the fat!). Something like 1/2 c of each liquid and a couple tbsp of flour. I've recently taken to loving canned milk, instead of buying whipping cream for in sauces and hot chocolate.
I've also still got most of the 16 cups of pureed pumpkin from fall, in the freezer, and three types of cookie dough frozen, and we just picked up our monthly freezer order of organic beef (over 30 lbs). Maybe I'll try the challenge anyway, it should be easy with this much stuff!
#75 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Great moms think alike! Check out "Frual Mamas in January" discussion. We started in find your tribe but I think its in personal growth now. I just got a HUGE amount of crock pot ideas when I posed the same question.

#76 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 06:03 PM

#77 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 06:11 PM

This is so cool, I hate to admit it but I always buy something and only using half of it and the rest spoils Trying to do this will really help me, I hate throwing food away. Its jsut so waistful...
So now I am inspired!
#78 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM

I am in....haven't read the whole thread yet, but I will soon!
#79 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Tina, I am the same way. My fridge always is overflowing but it is usually bits and pieces of things. Now I am using those bits and pieces and being conscious of what I put in.
#80 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Tnr's mom,
Way to go with all the food prep! That is a real time saver. How did you cook the chicken legs? When you take some out from the freezer how do you serve them?
I agree that this exercise has been great for helping improvisation and confidence in cooking.
Did I see that there was a chicken pot pie recipe somewhere on here! Maybe I'll try that tonight! I'll also mosy over to the Frugal mamas thread and check out the crockpot stuff, thanks! Bon appetit!
#81 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM

So far today I have gone through my meal plan and figured out what I can make from what I've got on hand. Mostly breakfasts and baked goods, no dinners, but it's better than nothing.
Also, making some bread using leftover brown rice and millet porridge using the Whole Foods for the Whole Family recipe.
First things first, I'm eating all the leftovers in the fridge before they go bad, pizza from dd's birthday, chx curry for the kids and dh, tamale pie, leftover burritos and butternut squash soup.
That cheesy rice dish sounds good. I think I'm going to make something with some of the grains I've got, ceci beans (I've got a bunch) and olives tommorow or Wednesday. Maybe some hummus too.
Really enjoying the ideas here.

Mama to 3:
#82 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 09:17 PM

Okay, here is the crock pot ideas I got. I pasted them all together and cut out discuss info in them so I have just the recipe:

Crock pot ideas

chicken breasts, half a taco seasoning packet or equivilent of homemade mix, 16 oz salsa cooked on low for 8 hours and then mixed with a cup of sour cream after chicken is removed.
Pour "gravy" over chicken breasts.

chicken breasts with lime juice, brown sugar, a splash of white wine or juice and some water mixed together and poured over chicken and slow cooked 6-8 hours on low.

. Beef (or bean) stews, chicken and turkey soups, pasta sauces are all pretty easy to do. Plus you can make extras to freeze. I find it fun to be creative -- like some chicken, brown sugar, honey mustard, and a bit of rosemary.

Meat - pork, chicken, beef, whatever
can of cream of whatever or homemade cream soup
little can of tomato paste or puree, not the juicy stuff like sauce
dump it all in, cook all day on low
When it is done, you have a nice thick gravy, you can also dump in any leftover veggies you have. We usually eat this with rice or noodles.

Saucy beef:
2 lbs stew meat
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package dry onion soup mix
Mix soups together and pour over beef in crock pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. We usually serve ours over egg noodles or rice.

Sweet and Spicy Kielbasa
Kielbasa (I do a lot of this at once and freeze it)
equal parts brown sugar and brown mustard.
Mix the sugar and mustard together and pour over sausage. Cook on medium about 6 hours

Chicken and Stuffing
6 chicken breasts
2 packages Stovetop stuffing mixed with ingredients on package (I'm sure you could make your own stuffing mix)
2 cans cream of mushroom
Place chicken in bottom of crockpot, add stuffing and pour soup over top. Cook on high about 4 hours. This recipe can easily be split in half for smaller families.

My favorite things to do with the crock pot is soup. I just dump in whatever we have around- leftover meat, fresh or frozen veggies, dry or canned beans, lentils, broth or boullion, spices, pasta, and extra water. It always tastes good, no matter what I put in.

These mamas were so wonderful to share ideas, I am trying all of these recipes soon.

#83 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Made lasagna for dinner. No sausage to flavor it so I added ground beef that I browned with a shallot and garlic. I added some spices and some sauce.
Layered with ricotta, sauce, zella, and the beef. Also, I made two, each in a 10 inch pan so another meal for later.

I went to the grocery today but only bought potatoes, pickles, and ricotta which was on big sale. I figure I am cleaning out the pasta in the pantry and need the ricotta to make that happen. So it works then. I almost ventured over to the meat counter but then I remembered all my meat in the freezer all set to eat when we are ready to have it.
Its week 2 of the month and I have spent less than $30 (incl milk) on grocery where as we would have easily spent twice that already. Also no need to go out to eat.

DH and I love this arrangement. Its sounds all good now, doing this pantry challenge. I want to incorporate this into a pantry habit not challenge. Anyone else?

So far to get going I have a list in the kitchen of what meals we have ready to go. This meaning we have all necessary ingrediants or the meat/lasagna etc is made up ready to go in the freezer

for example:
shrimp w risotto
beef tacos with corn tortillas
beef stew meat, add carrots and potatoes
chicken with rice
pizza
turkey meatballs and wheat spegetti

then list leftovers in fridge for lunches

DH went over and circled what he wanted to eat! Also the list makes him have a taste for whatever is there so we have an idea of the next few dinners.
So I am hoping this may cut our grocery budget down. Also I have noticed the less trips I make, the less we spend.

#84 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 09:45 PM

great ideas!
any one know what to do with an eggplant?
#85 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignqueen
great ideas!
eggplant parmagnie or throw it in a lasagna

#86 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 PM

I just found this thread but I love the idea! I have been totally cleaning up/out my house and this sounds like a great way to help that along.

I keep tons of frozen fruit and veggies as well as lots of pasta and a stash of rice milk for my ds.

Glad to find you guys!
#87 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignqueen
I heat a little olive oil in a skillet and throw in some diced garlic. Then I cube the eggplant and cook it until its soft. Toss it with some pasta and you have dinner ready! Its also good if you add other veggies - I keep bags of frozen veggie mixes on hand and throw those in the skillet with the eggplant.

Yum!
#88 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves
Bananas--I have read that once they are ripe (no spots yet, just yellow) you can put them in the fridge. It arrests the ripening and they stay good. The skins might get browner after a few days but shouldn't affect the fruit.
You can also peel them, put them in a ziploc and freeze them. I buy "brown" bananas cheap at Wild Oats or Whole Foods when they are trying to get rid of them and do this. Then, when I want to make banana bread, I just put one in the fridge until its thawed and use it. It works for any recipe that calls for "mashed" banana. Works great!

I also use them in rice milk smoothies for my son. I put a frozen banana and some other type of frozen fruit in the blender with a good dose of rice milk and blend it until its smooth. Tastes great and he loves it.

And frozen bananas dipped in a little chocolate are to die for...
#89 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e
So, does anyone have a bread machine recipe that I could use with my yogurt, maybe fruit breads, like banana or pumpkin or zucchini?
I have a great banana bread recipe that uses yogurt but it isn't a bread machine recipe. If you are interested, I'll post it.
#90 of 316 Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom
Check out his website. They have something like 1400 crock pot recipes!
http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
Thanks so much for posting this link! I LOVE my slow cooker. I work PT and love to come home to the smells of my slow cooker. I have a fairly extensive collection of cookbooks for slow cookers but that web-site beats them all.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page