bedtime snacks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-10-2002, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried posting this under Nightwaking, but didn't get much of a response. I hear a lot of people talking about giving their kids a bedtime snack to help tide them over until the morning. What are your kids' favorite bedtime snacks? What fills their bellies? My DD is 15 months and nursing to sleep, and we're working on nightweaning.

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 09-10-2002, 02:52 PM

When I was growing up I always called them bednight snakes (typo intended). It is a must for my son (and for me for that matter). He (we) usually have dried fruit, his favorite is mango. Sometimes he want a small bit of cheese and bread. Very often we have grapes. Sometimes he also likes warm milk, cold juice or water (but he is in the process of weaning himself so this may not apply to you--I have tea). I usually put the snacks in a cup with a handle and he eats them while reading bedtime stories and generally winding down to sleep. The idea is something not to messy. When I finally figure out he was just like me (bednight snack requirement), he slept a lot better.
#3 of 4 Old 09-11-2002, 05:26 AM

I have read, and it works for my kids, that protein is a must in a bedtime bedtime snack-like cheese and crackers or peanut butter with something. The protein fills them up and fills them for longer but they wake up ready for a good breakfast. Gosh, i wish I could remember where I read the article-it sounds slightly lame the way I just wrote it, but there is an actual biological reason for giving protein before bed! Whatever it is, it works for us and they feel much more satisfied than if the have just crackers or something similar.
#4 of 4 Old 09-11-2002, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I gave DD a piece of cheese- her favorite snack- last night, but she slept terribly. I think it was the teeth, not the cheese, though. Yeah, protein sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page