#301 of 700 Old 08-09-2006, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi
We used this as a burrito filling and it was delicious:

Combine the following in the crockpot and cook on low for 6ish hours:

4 cans of black beans, including their liquid (or the equivalent amount of cooked dried beans- about 7ish cups. I cooked beans in the crockpot one day and made this the next day.)
1.5 cups of brown rice
3 cans of diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
1-2 finely chopped chipotle peppers from a can- depends on how hot you want it
2 tsp. (or more to taste) onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. oregano

I also had a container of shredded chicken in the freezer that I tossed in, but it would be totally optional for vegetarians.

We ate this burrito-style with tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado. Very filling, healthy, inexpensive and delicious!
man, i'm all about trying this -- and soon! the rice is uncooked, right? and was the chicken raw or cooked?
#302 of 700 Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander
man, i'm all about trying this -- and soon! the rice is uncooked, right? and was the chicken raw or cooked?
Yep, uncooked rice. The chicken was precooked- it was just some leftover shredded chicken (from tacos) straight out of the freezer.
#303 of 700 Old 08-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi
Yep, uncooked rice. The chicken was precooked- it was just some leftover shredded chicken (from tacos) straight out of the freezer.
Thanks! We have all the makin's now, I think, and we are hoping to make it tomorrow for dinner--we have a friend coming to visit on her way from st. louis to seattle and she is a vegetarian, so it will be perfect -- not to mention we all like black beans around here.
#304 of 700 Old 08-11-2006, 05:12 PM

I have these in the crock-pot right now and it smells delicious although I haven't tried them yet:

Roasted New Potatoes

1-2 lbs scrubbed new potatoes (I'm using fingerlings from the garden)
1 T. olive oil
salt
pepper
pinch of thyme
several cloves of garlic, peeled but still whole
dried rosemary (use dried herbs- fresh ones will burn)

Place everything in crock-pot, toss to coat with the olive oil and cook on high for 2.5-3.5 hours until potatoes are fork tender.
#305 of 700 Old 08-21-2006, 04:03 PM

i finally typed this up today:

Crock Pot Veggie and Meat Tomato Sauce (this is my recipe, adapted from an old crock pot recipe)

This recipe makes a lot to freeze, which I usually do in wide mouth pint jars.

2 pound ground meat (I think organic buffalo meat tastes the best, but use what you like)
2 onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 large stalks celery, finely chopped
2 tbsp. minced garlic

2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
1 28 ounce can pureed tomatoes
(or use 3 1 quart canning jars of your own crushed or pureed tomatoes, just don't use whole or diced tomatoes though, too watery)
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 cup red wine (my secret ingredient)
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. Italian spice mixture
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
(salt to taste if you used your own tomatoes)

Saute meat, veggies and garlic in a large saute pan. When the meat is no longer pink add to crock pot. Add tomatoes, wine and spice. Mix well and cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5 hours, or until thick and bubbly.

Ladle into very clean jars while still hot, cap and allow to cool before freezing.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#306 of 700 Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM

I have a six quart crockpot, so I make mega batches and freeze.

This weekend I made the best chili that I've ever cooked before, and usually I don't like my crock cooking nearly as much as my non-crock cooking.

Brown 6 lbs lean cubed stew beef in batches in olive oil with two large finely chopped onions and four cloves of garlic. Dump in crock. Add 1 small can (4.5 oz) diced chilis, two tablespoons Ancho chile powder, two tablespoons regular chili powder, 2 tsp salt, 1- 28oz can diced tomato, 1- 14 oz can diced tomato with chilies, 1- 6oz can tomato paste. Stir and cook for 6 hrs on high.

I stirred in a bag of previously cooked black beans at the end, and let it cook for about another hour.
#307 of 700 Old 08-21-2006, 05:20 PM

I'm wondering about making beans in the crockpot. Is it really necessary to first soak the beans for 8 hrs, then cook for 8 hrs, then cook the whole dish for 8 hrs? This seems like overkill to me--if the beans are cooked after the first 8 hrs, why cook them again for so long?--but I'm not positive enough (or energetic enough) to start experimenting. Does anyone knowlegeable have an educated guess at what the minimum amount of cooking would really be needed for the beans in a good bean dish?
#308 of 700 Old 08-22-2006, 03:01 AM

common sense says "enough to get em warm"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#309 of 700 Old 08-22-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie
I'm wondering about making beans in the crockpot. Is it really necessary to first soak the beans for 8 hrs, then cook for 8 hrs, then cook the whole dish for 8 hrs? This seems like overkill to me--if the beans are cooked after the first 8 hrs, why cook them again for so long?--but I'm not positive enough (or energetic enough) to start experimenting. Does anyone knowlegeable have an educated guess at what the minimum amount of cooking would really be needed for the beans in a good bean dish?
this seems right for a slow cooker. beans can cook faster if you soak them overnight and cook them on the stove top for an hour or two. i think it makes sense to cook up a whole mess in the crock pot overnight and freeze what you don't need to have on hand for another time.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#310 of 700 Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie
What recipe is telling you to cook them for 16 hrs total after soaking for 8 hours? That's madness. Here's what I do: either the "quick soak" method wherein you boil the beans hard for one minute, then let sit for an hour, then cook (for an hour or so depending on the bean) OR I simply cook them, unsoaked, in the crockpot until they are done. A few hours -- again, depends on the bean. Usually I cook up a whole bag or more at a time, and freeze what I don't need for that particular recipe. Then, next time, I don't have to worry about it.

If you are putting beans in a recipe that has any acid in it -- tomatoes, for example -- you will want them fully cooked. Otherwise the acid will retard the cooking process and the beans won't get tender. But if you are doing a soup, say, you can add the other ingredients at the beginning or middle of cooking the beans.

There's no hard and fast rule for cooking "any beans" in "any bean dish" because cooking time depends on the other ingredients, the kind of bean, the freshness of the beans, the heat/speed of your crockpot, (some run hotter than others, some have only one setting, etc.) and so on. So there's a certain amount of guesswork or experimentation necessary -- ie., check and taste them at intervals.

HTH!

I made a yummy enchilada casserole in my crockpot yesterday, using previously frozen black-beans-and-rice, frozen enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, and shredded monterey jack cheese. Oh, threw some salsa in for one of the layers too. I just layered it all and let it cook until the cheese was bubbly. It was kind of mushy, but the taste was good.
#311 of 700 Old 08-27-2006, 03:02 AM

YAY! Thanks for the wonderful thread mamas. I am expecting twins in about 6 weeks and I am so excited about being able to still have healthy meals on little time.

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#312 of 700 Old 09-11-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
What recipe is telling you to cook them for 16 hrs total after soaking for 8 hours? That's madness. ...
If you are putting beans in a recipe that has any acid in it -- tomatoes, for example -- you will want them fully cooked.
Aha, that's it! All the recipes in the two veg crockpot cookbooks I have (the two popular ones, whatever the titles are) tell me to do this. However, they both also use canned tomato as the base for most of the bean recipes!

Thanks--I think I know what I need to do. Calculate how long beans need to be cooked the usual way, then translate that into crockpot cooking time, and use that for recipes where I can find another base besides canned tomatoes. (Which was getting repetitive anyway.)

Quote:
...OR I simply cook them, unsoaked, in the crockpot until they are done. A few hours -- again, depends on the bean.
I used to do this with no trouble when I lived in a small town in CA. Here when I try it there's gross foam and the beans taste dreadful. I think in CA the beans were a more recent crop or somehow of far higher quality.

I also found out that soaking & discarding the soak water gets rid of toxins, flatulence-inducing and otherwise. Although again, in CA my roommates and I never had digestive trouble with our unsoaked beans.

Thanks!
#313 of 700 Old 09-17-2006, 08:24 PM

Wow, did this thread die?

Anyway, I have another question. I'm moving into cooking more meat, leaving mostly-vegetarianism behind for a little while.

Can anyone recommend an omnivore's crockpot cookbook for healthy meat cooking?
#314 of 700 Old 09-17-2006, 08:28 PM

i like "not your mother's slow cooker cookbook."

#315 of 700 Old 09-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Banned

subbing, great thread!!
#316 of 700 Old 09-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Another vote for "Not Your Mother's Slowcooker Cookbook.:" I made Wild-rice Almond Casserole (p.163) with a mix of brown and wild rice and chicken broth. It was delicious served with salmon and asparagus! Many thanks to the person who originally suggested this book.

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

#317 of 700 Old 09-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Did I read about making turkey legs in the crockpot on this thread? I can’t find the post and I would really like to try this. If you have any new ideas, or could direct me to the post, I would be most grateful!
#318 of 700 Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 AM

:

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#319 of 700 Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 AM

This thread is a little old, but I just found it so I thought I'd share! I can't remember where I found this recipe originally, but it's cheap, easy, very forgiving, and really tasty. (I haven't read through all of the yummy recipes posted here, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate).

Chicken Taco Soup

1 onion chopped
1 16 oz can chili beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can corn, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 12 oz can chicken broth
2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes w/green chilis, undrained
1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning
3 whole boneless chicken breasts

Throw it all in a crockpot. Push the chicken down into the sauce, so it's covered. Cook on low for 5 hours.

Remove chicken, shred it, and return to crockpot. Cook 2 more hours.

Fini!
#320 of 700 Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 AM

Bump.

This thread is amazing!

I look foward to adding some of my recipes when I have some time!

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#321 of 700 Old 09-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi View Post
I have these in the crock-pot right now and it smells delicious although I haven't tried them yet:

Roasted New Potatoes

1-2 lbs scrubbed new potatoes (I'm using fingerlings from the garden)
1 T. olive oil
salt
pepper
pinch of thyme
several cloves of garlic, peeled but still whole
dried rosemary (use dried herbs- fresh ones will burn)

Place everything in crock-pot, toss to coat with the olive oil and cook on high for 2.5-3.5 hours until potatoes are fork tender.
WabiSabi, how were these? Inquiring minds want to know!
#322 of 700 Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Odd-ducks,
I made this last night and it was delicioso! Tastes just like tacos!

Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd-ducks View Post
This thread is a little old, but I just found it so I thought I'd share! I can't remember where I found this recipe originally, but it's cheap, easy, very forgiving, and really tasty. (I haven't read through all of the yummy recipes posted here, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate).

Chicken Taco Soup

1 onion chopped
1 16 oz can chili beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can corn, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 12 oz can chicken broth
2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes w/green chilis, undrained
1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning
3 whole boneless chicken breasts

Throw it all in a crockpot. Push the chicken down into the sauce, so it's covered. Cook on low for 5 hours.

Remove chicken, shred it, and return to crockpot. Cook 2 more hours.

Fini!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#323 of 700 Old 09-28-2006, 03:33 PM

Yay! I'm so glad you liked them, Bejeweled! I'm busily trying some of these other great recipes... three cheers for the time-saving crockpot!
#324 of 700 Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 PM

Let me know how it goes.........It's such an oxymoron isn't it? Time-saving crockpot/slowcooker. I sure love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd-ducks View Post
Yay! I'm so glad you liked them, Bejeweled! I'm busily trying some of these other great recipes... three cheers for the time-saving crockpot!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#325 of 700 Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post
WabiSabi, how were these? Inquiring minds want to know!
They're great! We've made them several times now using tiny little fingerling potatoes straight from the garden. Mmmm! I use a little bit more garlic and olive oil than the recipe calls for though.
#326 of 700 Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 PM

I just posted this in another thread but it's great when simmered on low in the crock pot for several hours, and it heats up the house less (in the summer a/c months) than cooking it on the stove or in the oven.

we call it "The Rice Dish" (idea came from a mexican chicken/rice bake in the red plaid cookbook)

*meat (browned, cooked, whatever you have dice into small chunks, good way to use cheap/tough steaks or leftover ground beef)
*2/3cup rice, cooked. I use brown rice & cook in beef broth left from a roast.
*1-onion, diced & saute
*1-garlic, 8-10 'cloves' diced or pressed
*1-can black beans (or about 1/2 cup dried beans cooked)
*1-can kernal corn, drained
*1-big (28oz) can Rotel
*8-10 mushrooms, sliced/diced & fried/sauted, if we have them.
Cook meat & rice, saute onions & mushrooms in grease leftover from meat, drain worst of grease, I simmer it on low in my crock pot for 2ish hours before eating. Very good with Cornbread.
#327 of 700 Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 AM

: :
#328 of 700 Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM

This thread is great-- I found some great recipes! Thanks guys!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#329 of 700 Old 10-12-2006, 08:22 PM

this is one of my very favorite crockpot recipes.

African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans

Vivid colors and fragrant spices are the hallmarks of this thick
stew, which is garnished with crunchy peanuts. A squeeze of lime
juice at the table brightens the rich, earthy flavors.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 1/2 cups cooked small red beans
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and
garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add sweet
potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on
low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir
well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew. Top with
peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups stew, 1 1/2 teaspoons
peanuts, and 1 lime wedge)

CALORIES 308(26% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 1.5g,mono 4.2g,poly 2.3g);
PROTEIN 11.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 64mg; SODIUM 574mg; FIBER
10.2g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 49.9g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2004

#330 of 700 Old 10-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Recipe adopted from my ex's mom....good stuff!

1-2lbs meat, whatever you've got
1-big can tomato sauce
1-can rotel
1-can beer
1-can red/kidney beans
1-onion diced
-garlic however much you like
Fowler's 2-alarm chili kit or equivalent spices

-brown meat then toss everything into crock pot on low for about 2 hours - EASY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page