post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 700 Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a fabulous thread.

What a great idea to C&P them & then print them out. It can be our own personal mdc crockpot recipe book!

I've also found that many crock pot recipes translate well into a pressure cooker. I find that sometimes I can't get it together soon enough in the morning to do the crock, but I can pop it all in the pc in the afternoon & still have a pretty effortless one-pot meal in less than an hour.
#362 of 700 Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 AM

: Thank you everyone!
#363 of 700 Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 PM

#364 of 700 Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 PM

: Mmm. I can't wait to try some of these out! I am getting hungry just reading these recipes...
#365 of 700 Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 PM

:
#366 of 700 Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Korean Ribs

2 Cups soy sauce
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
8-10 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
6 large green onions, chopped roughly
1 big tbsp mustard powder (less, if you get the good stuff)
4 pounds Korean-style short ribs (any ribs will do, if they're individual)

Toasted sesame seeds

Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and other oil in a large mixing bowl. Add garlic and green onion and stir together. Put short ribs into large sealable freezer bag (you may need two). Pour marinade into bag and turn bag over several times to ensure all meat pieces are covered. Refrigerate for at least four hours, but preferably overnight. Turn bag at least once in the middle of the marinating process.

Crock pot on low for ~8 hours. Devour in a frenzy of sticky endorphin-releasing goodness.
#367 of 700 Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Jalapeno View Post
Korean Ribs
:
#368 of 700 Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Wow this is a great thread!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#369 of 700 Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM

hawaiian luau pig

1 pork shoulder
1 bottle HICKORY liquid smoke

put in crockpot and cook on low for 10 hours. when done, drain off some of liquid and shred meat with forks. serve with rice.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#370 of 700 Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM

I've got enchiladas cooking right now - hmmmmm, did I remember to post that recipe???

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#371 of 700 Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Does anyone know of a recipe for delicious but very basic whole chicken cooked in the crockpot?

Ages ago I was looking at some on a recipe site but they got such extremely mixed reviews I had no idea what to try. I guess the challenge is for it to be moist after cooking. I have some health issues so I just want to keep the ingredients very simple.
#372 of 700 Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 PM

I just throw a whole chicken rubbed w/ some poultry seasoning in the crock-pot w/ a few carrots, onions and potatoes and turn it on low. By the end of the day my house smells yummy and the chicken is even yummier, its super moist and falling off the bone. The left overs are great for chicken salad.
#373 of 700 Old 01-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Erin, do you add any liquid? Stock or anything? Heehee, I'm Erin too.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#374 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 AM

So many great ideas! I am going to try Southwestern Chicken tomorrow night!
I just love the idea of putting everything in the crockpot in the morning and not worrying about dinner for the day! It is such a nice feeling to know it is taken care of and then to smell it cooking all day is even better!!
#375 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM

OK, I haven't read all 18 PAGES!! yet but I hope this helps someone. It's a fantastic time saver.

Throw a little olive oil or butter or whatever in the bottom. Fill the crockpot completely with chopped onions (think Costco!). Leave it on for 4-5 hours. It'll smell wonderful.

Take out your much-reduced sauteed onions and freeze on a shallow baking pan. Take out of freezer, break into chunks, put into ziplock bag.

Now everytime you are making something that calls for 20 minutes of sauteing onions you say "Oh, I love that Literate. She's the best." and take a chunk of your onions out. Granted, you can't be too exact on measurements now, since if your recipe calls for "1 cup onion" it's probably only 1/2 cup now. But who cares.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#376 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 AM

Literate, I love you already! You're a genius!
#377 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Does anyone know of a recipe for delicious but very basic whole chicken cooked in the crockpot?
Rub the chicken inside and out with salt & pepper, put it in the crockpot, add a large can of diced tomatoes, cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve with whole wheat pasta & freshly grated asiago cheese.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#378 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Erin, do you add any liquid? Stock or anything? Heehee, I'm Erin too.
Erin, I don't. As the chicken cooks to releases its chicken juices and keeps it moist. BTW the juices leftover at the end make great stock!
#379 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Shredded Beef Dip Sandwiches

Put in a crockpot:
2 pounds beef roast (I think we used arm roast), trimmed of fat
about 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1-2 teaspoon thyme
3 bay leaves
4 cups of water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worchestshire

Other ingredients:
Rolls/buns
Mozarella or Provolone cheese
Horseradish

Cook on low for 10 hours (you could probably go shorter). Remove and shred beef.

Put mozarella cheese on rolls, and toast in oven til cheese is melting. Slather with horseradish and add beef
DH, as wonderful as he is, is the pickiest eater known to man. DD has food allergies so she and I are wheat and dairy free. It makes cooking quite a challenge. I made this yesterday with a few modifications and DH loved it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping find another dinner option!
#380 of 700 Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM

i love this thread!!!

I made the chicken medoori the other night and it was great. my kids had seconds, they NEVER have seconds!!

tonite I'm doing the minstrone soup. I love minestrone, so i'm sure it will be a hit.

I'm subbing right now.

I wish we could create files on here or something so we could have all these great recipes in one neat and concise spot. that would be awesome!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#381 of 700 Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM

According to the PM I received yesterday, I didn't post this recipe. So here goes:

Crockpot Enchiladas

1 lb ground beef
1/2-1C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green or yellow or red pepper
1 can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can petite diced tomatoes w/green chiles
1/3 C water
1 t chili powder
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 C shredded cheddar
1 C shredded Colby-Jack
6-8 tortillas

In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and pepper until beef is browned; drain off fat & return to skillet. Add the beans, tomatoes, water, and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine cheeses. In a 5-qt crockpot, layer in this order: beef mixture, tortilla, cheese - repeat until you have used everything, ending with a layer of cheese. Cook on low for 4-5 hours - longer is OK, but you'll lose the bottomost layer b/c it will overcook and the beans will get hard.

After cooking, I invert the crockpot onto a shallow serving dish, separate the whole thing into two layers (4 tortillas each layer) and cut into 12 wedges.

This recipe can be modified in so many ways, to suit your taste - my SIL makes this all the time, but her kids don't like the black beans so she uses black olives instead. You can make it spicier, use different kinds of beans (last time I used chili beans in sauce in place of the pintos), use ground turkey in place of the beef, whatever. The prep work is a pain, but so worth the effort - you can do it the night before and just stick the prepared beef mixture into the fridge.

#382 of 700 Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Anyone use betty crocker Coming home to dinner?

this is my fav recipe from that book so far. We make it A LOT

2.5lb turkey breast (skin removed)
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup chick stock
med onion chopped
med potatoe chopped
jar green salsa (mild) 16oz
teaspoon cumin

Add in everything cover and cook on low 8-10hrs

serve on warm tortillas.
#383 of 700 Old 01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

So loving this thread...

This one is from Leanne Ely's book, "Saving Dinner" (from the Flylady site). Her recipes are great and don't contain many packaged ingredients.

In the bottom of your crockpot, place a bag of baby carrots, topped by two sliced onions.

Place chicken pieces on top, she suggests breasts (6 skinless) but I used thighs cuz that's what I had on hand! Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper, and some crushed rosemary (or other favorite herbs, I used thyme and parsley). Pour 1 can of chicken broth and 2 cups of cider over the top.

Cook on low for 8 hours or til done.

Remove broth from crockpot and heat on stove in saucepan til simmering. Make a gravy by mixing 1 T flour with 1/4 cup cold water and add to broth. Simmer and stir til thickened. Pour over chicken and serve with rice.

P.S. I plan to serve with homemade biscuits and I'm going to add peas at the last min. for color and more veggies. I imagine you could add just about any veggie you wanted...

Also, I had no cider today so I added extra broth and a dash of apple juice. It smells divine...
#384 of 700 Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora665 View Post
Okay, no one mentioned this one, but it's super easy and with fewer additives than the ones from the store:

Rotisserie Chicken
1 whole chicken
Olive oil (either normal or sprayed)
Lawry's Seasoning salt (apparently, this is what makes it taste like the one from the store... I've used other seasoning blends (no salt) successfully)

Clean chicken inside and out. Spray or rub outside of chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle all over with Lawry’s. Spray or coat inside of crock with oil. Do not put any water in the crock.

Roll 3 or 4 wads of aluminum foil into 2"-3" balls and put them in the bottom of the crock. The chicken is going to lie on these. Put chicken breast side down in crock on top of aluminum balls. Cook on High (will not come out the same on Low), 4-6 hours. (A 2 1/2 lb chicken takes 4 hours in my cool cp)

You have to use the aluminum to get the roasted taste instead of stewed.

NOTE: Wrap small potatoes in foil and place them in the bottom of the crockpot to make the foil balls; then you have both chicken and potatoes cooked to perfection!

Hope you enjoy, we do --> except my DH and I don't like dark meat much by itself, so I mix it into enchiladas the next day.

Erin

This idea is SUCH a good one! I tried it last week. Only I couldn't find this actual post in this thread so I just kind of made it up. I rubbed garlic and rosemary on the chicken adn warpped potatos in foil instead of just using wads of foil. The potatos were flavored with chicken juices and the chicken was SO moist. Yum!

It's summer here down under and I got a slow cooker for Christmas so I'm definitely going to be digging through this thread some more.

Can you cook brown rice in a crock pot? My favorite way of cooking brown rice is an oven method I learned from America's Test Kitchen but I'm wondering if there is a way to make it work in a crock pot?
#385 of 700 Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I made this last Sunday and it was delicious. Pair with a green salad for a really healthy meal!

Sweet Potato Barley Risotto in the Crock Pot

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2-2 1/2 onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I put about a tablespoon in)
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 1/2 cups pearl barley
3 cups vegetable stock (I used chicken because it's what I had)
2 sweet potatoes
(I also tossed in some extra salt and pepper, some red pepper flakes, and a few random seasonings like oregano so it wouldn't be too bland)

Chop your onions finely.

Peel the sweet potato and chop into small pieces. Place in crock pot.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the oil in it. When the oil gets hot add the onions and cook until softened, stirring frequently.

Then add the garlic and rosemary and stir for about a minute.

Stir in the barley and stir until the barley is combined well. Add this mixture to the crock pot.

Pour the stock over all and stir. (I added the additional spices at this point).

Cook on low for 8 hours until the barley and sweet potato are cooked through. If possible open the crockpot about halfway through and stir well.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#386 of 700 Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 PM

:

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#387 of 700 Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Subsribing to this thread
#388 of 700 Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post

Thanks--I think I know what I need to do. Calculate how long beans need to be cooked the usual way, then translate that into crockpot cooking time, and use that for recipes where I can find another base besides canned tomatoes. (Which was getting repetitive anyway.)

I used to do this with no trouble when I lived in a small town in CA. Here when I try it there's gross foam and the beans taste dreadful. I think in CA the beans were a more recent crop or somehow of far higher quality.
I've found out that altitude makes a difference too. I'm at about 5700 feet and I've found the best way for me to cook beans is in the pressure cooker. I've tried cooking all day in the crock and they still don't really get soft.
#389 of 700 Old 01-20-2007, 11:33 PM

Hi ladies,

I would love to hear about your crockpots! I'll start. Feel free to add on.

Brand: Rival 6 Quart Smart-Pot™ Slow Cooker

Size: 6 Quart

Like: timer and keep warm setting; large size

Dislike: the outside of the crock gets hot to the touch so I put it on a glass trivet; every recipe I have tried cooks way too fast- this crock is too hot it seems, even on low.

Buy again?: probably not if there was something similar but didn't cook as hot

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

#390 of 700 Old 01-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Stargirl....AHHH...I got the same crockpot for christmas and you are right it cooks too fast....and the whole point is that I can go to work for 7-9 hours and cook something while I am gone. Shucks!! I am not sure what I am gonna do!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page