Mothering Forum banner

post your fave crockpot recipe!

109K views 699 replies 342 participants last post by  *MamaJen* 
#1 ·
Hi there --

I'm really wanting to use my crockpot more, as it makes my life sooo much better. However, I have difficulty finding good, healthy, whole-food type recipes, esp. ones that I consider "true" crockpot recipes. That is, the ones that you just throw all the ingred. in the crockpot in the am, and you have a delicious dinner 8 hours later. I use some recipes that require a bit of pre-cooking, but I *hate* when you basically cook the whole thing, and then just put it in the crockpot to keep warm til dinner time.

So!

whatcha cooking?

See less See more
#329 ·
this is one of my very favorite crockpot recipes.

African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans

Vivid colors and fragrant spices are the hallmarks of this thick
stew, which is garnished with crunchy peanuts. A squeeze of lime
juice at the table brightens the rich, earthy flavors.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 1/2 cups cooked small red beans
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and
garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add sweet
potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on
low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir
well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew. Top with
peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups stew, 1 1/2 teaspoons
peanuts, and 1 lime wedge)

CALORIES 308(26% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 1.5g,mono 4.2g,poly 2.3g);
PROTEIN 11.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 64mg; SODIUM 574mg; FIBER
10.2g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 49.9g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2004

#330 ·
Recipe adopted from my ex's mom....good stuff!

1-2lbs meat, whatever you've got
1-big can tomato sauce
1-can rotel
1-can beer
1-can red/kidney beans
1-onion diced
-garlic however much you like
Fowler's 2-alarm chili kit or equivalent spices

-brown meat then toss everything into crock pot on low for about 2 hours - EASY

#333 ·
just wanted to say that we tried the chicken taco soup and liked it.

we have friends coming over next saturday for dinner and perhaps we will make the african sweet potato stew with red beans.... just trying to decide if it will make enough for four adults and a 2 1/2 year old.

#334 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

we have friends coming over next saturday for dinner and perhaps we will make the african sweet potato stew with red beans.... just trying to decide if it will make enough for four adults and a 2 1/2 year old.
I'll let you know, I have it set up to go for tomorrow (we had a metric buttload of sweet potatoes and peppers from the CSA so it was a timely recipe to find)
I had some extra coconut milk so I'm gonna mix the PB and coconut milk with the broth and add it at the end. Serving it over WW couscous.

#335 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

i think it would make enough esp if you served it over rice or something else with a side of fruit and a salad.

#336 ·
Our favorite is BBQ coke pork roast. A lot of people might not like the whole soda thing, but it comes out really good.

You need a small pork roast, put that in the pot, then pour 2 cans of coke over it. Cook it on low for 6-7 hours, until it falls apart with a fork. Then drain the coke out of the pot, put the pork back in and shred it up with fork/hands. Then pour on a bottle of bbq sauce, but try to stay away from the sweet ones with honey, it makes it WAY too sweet. The coke doesn't make the pork sugary, but it gives it this unique taste.

Grill up some onions and put meat and onion on toasted buns. I can't make it
all the time anymore because DH doesn't want to get tired of it.

#338 ·
So simple but so yummy!

2 cups wild and brown rice blend
2-3 tablespoons butter
3-4 chicken legs (with thighs)
2 garlic cloves, minced
sea salt to taste

Rinse the rice and pour it into the bottom of the crockpot. Cover with 4 cups of water, garlic, salt to taste, and the pats of butter. Place on high. After one hour, add the chicken legs and cook for three more hours on high. (If I get the chance duringthe day I try to flip the chicken and coat it in the garlic/water some before it all cooks down. You could also rub a little extra garlic into it.)

I like fresh green beans or asparagus on the side.

#339 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
wow, i've never heard of cooking anything like that.
:
i hadn't either, but a buddy back in louisiana told me about it, he puts his chicken out on the grill with a can of dr. pepper or a can of beer. o_O
Dh didn't want to try it, so i just made it and gave it to him. After 2 sandwiches and saying how good it was, then i told him.

Ok ok, I got one that isn't soda related.

Get a pot roast, toss it in and add the following:

3 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic
onion powder (or onion)
pepper
rosemary
splash of red wine
1 cup beef stock

cover it up, cook it on low for like 6-7 hours. Soooooo good.

#340 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoodess View Post
I'll let you know, I have it set up to go for tomorrow (we had a metric buttload of sweet potatoes and peppers from the CSA so it was a timely recipe to find)
I had some extra coconut milk so I'm gonna mix the PB and coconut milk with the broth and add it at the end. Serving it over WW couscous.
how was it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
i think it would make enough esp if you served it over rice or something else with a side of fruit and a salad.
what a good idea (about the rice)!

#341 ·
Subbing ...

I have a couple I just posted on my journal will paste them in here when I get home.

#343 ·
There are some notes that I wrote for myself in here too...

Crockpot Moroccan Lentil Stew

Lentils, potatoes, and squash simmer in your crockpot for a delicious meatless stew.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
10 small new red potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. each white pepper, crushed red pepper, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice &/or cumin (stick to 2 or 3 spices)

2 cups water

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a 3-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours until lentils, squash, and potatoes are tender when tested with knife.

Need to double (big crockpot). Add carrots? Ham or Sasauge? Leeks?

Lamb Stew

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 pounds boneless, lean lamb stew meat, cut in 1 in. cubes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lg. (1 cup) onion, sliced thin
2 cups water
1 cup baby carrots
2 cups diced rutabaga or turnips
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

PREPARATION:
Sprinkle lamb with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Coat with flour. Heat oil in a 2 to 3 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown lamb a few pieces at a time in the hot oil. Remove to Crock Pot with slotted spoon.

Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Stir in the water, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pot. Transfer onion mixture to the Crock Pot; add carrots and rutabaga. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, adding peas during the last 30 to 45 minutes.
Serves 4.

Additional spices - bay leaf, rosemary, thyme. Potatoes (3 or 4 cubed)?

#344 ·
I found some good ones http://busycooks.about.com/od/health...hycrockpot.htm

Crockpot Barley Casserole
This delicious and healthy crockpot recipe can be served as a vegetarian main dish or a side dish.
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup uncooked pearl barley
1-1/2 cups eight vegetable juice
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz. can ready to serve vegetable broth
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except pine nuts in a 3-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until barley and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with nuts just before serving. 4 servings

Crockpot Black Bean Chili

Crockpot black bean chili is made with apple juice for flavor.
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups water
1 cup apple juice
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. white pepper
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chilies, drained
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except cilantro and cheese in 3-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with Cheddar cheese for topping. 6 servings

There are so many more on this site, I can't c&p them all right now, sorry.

#345 ·
Ok, I found some more that I'm C&Ping so I thought I might aswell do it for you all here too

lazy mom's beef stew recipe.

I buy the package of beef stew mix from the store and use that for seasoning.

about 1.5 of beef stew meat-already cut up from store
half bag of baby carrots
peel and cube about 6 potatoes
slice 1 yellow onion

I just mix up the seasoning mix with about a cup of water and pour it over everything. Then I let it cook on low all day while I'm at work.

Serve with rolls and I love to put Texas Pete hot sauce in mine.
--
Meatball Tortellini
1 package frozen California Veggies
20 Frozen Meatballs
1 Can cream of mushroom soup
1 package Torellini

Put it together and cook! Yum!!
--
Caribbean-Style Black Bean Soup
1 lb Dried, black beans, washed
3 Onions, chopped, small
1 Green pepper, chopped
2 tbls. Tomato paste
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Ham hock or ¾ cup cubed ham
1 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Cumin
2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
Salt and pepper
3 cups Water
2 tbsp Vinegar
Sour cream
Chopped cilantro

Directions:
Soak beans overnight in water, drain. Combine all ingredients except the last three, stir and cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. For a thicker soup, take out ½ of soup and blend, then add back in. Add vinegar and serve with sour cream and cilantro.
--
Crockpot Lasagna:
2 jars of spaghetti sauce
4 oz Lasagna noodles
2 8 oz packages of shredded mozzerella cheese
1 12?oz container of ricotta cheese - not the smallest one they have, but next one up... Heck, just get whatever and put it in, the more the merrier

So you just layer everything anyway you want. This is what I do:
Mix all the ricotta with all the mozzeralla, add some salt and pepper if you'd like.
Put one of the jars of sauce in the bottom, a layer of uncooked (that's the nice part about this recipe) pasta, half the cheese mixture, a layer of pasta, another jar of sauce, another layer of pasta, then the rest of the cheese.

I think I put it on High for around 3-4 hours, but I'm sure it'd work on low for maybe 6-8 or so. Nothing magical to it, it's just that you have to cook it long enough for the pasta to cook and then it's done! I love lasagna, but I never make it b/c I'd have to cook the pasta, THEN make the dish. But if you do it this way you just throw a bunch of stuff together and leave
--
One Dish Chicken Supper
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast halves
10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom/celery
1/3 cup milk
1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing Mix (I used Savory Herb)
1 can chicken broth (or 1 2/3 c. water)

1. Place chicken in croc pot.
2. Combine soup and milk. Pour over chicken.
3. Combine stuffing mix and broth. Spoon over chicken.
4. Cover & cook on LOW for 8-10 hours
--
A different kind of Pot Roast - We bought a bunch of pot roasts when they were on sale at Farmer Jack, so we needed to come up with different ideas for them. Here is one we thought of.

1 pot roast
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
Any vegetables you want (potatoes, carrots, etc)

Add all of the ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Chicken Paprika:
Layer in crockpot:
sliced onions
olive oil
sliced potatoes
salt, pepper
paprika
boneless, skinless chicken (I prefer thighs, they are moister)

Repeat the layers to the top of the crockpot (well, about 1 inch from the top).

Add chicken broth (about 1/2 to 1 cup)

Set on "Low" for about 8 hours
--
PORK CHOPS - We cut this recipe in half and it was really good!

8 pork chops
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 cans French Onion Soup (plain french onion)

Brown pork chops in skillet over medium heat. They won't turn brown, they will turn white, and it only takes a few seconds (you don't need to cook them through, this just helps for flavor. It really isn't necessary). Place pork chops in bottom of crock pot (just throw em all in there). Mix soup all together. Pour it on top. I kinda shake it around and use a spoon to poke it to make sure the soup gets down to the bottom. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with white rice.

Chicken in Sour Cream Sauce
• 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
• 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (skinless)
• 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (or chicken or celery or brocolli) - undiluted
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup dry white wine or chiken broth
• 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced

Combine the first four ingredients and rub over both sides of chicken breasts.

Place in a slow cooker (crock pot). In a bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, and wine or broth; stir in mushrooms.

Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Thicken sauce if desired.

Salsa Verde Stew: my all time favorite crock pot recipe!

1 1/2 lbs stew meat
4 medium potatoes, cut in cubes
1 large coarsely chopped sweet onion
1 green sweet pepper chopped
1 14 oz Mexican style stewed tomatoes
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
1 cup salsa
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 teasp cumin
flour tortillas

Combine all ingredients, cook for 6-8 hrs
--
Pulled Pork

Pork shoulder, something like that. Really any pork that is a roast. About a cup of oil. 3 cups brown sugar. Put water in until it covers the pork. Cook all day--it shreds naturally & is tender and moist as a sandwich
--
Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

INGREDIENTS

3 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
DIRECTIONS
Place sliced potatoes in slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix together shredded cheese, onion and ham. Mix with potatoes in slow cooker. Using the same bowl, mix together condensed soup and water. Season to taste with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the potato mixture.
Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours.
**Used fat free cream of mushroom soup and it turned out fine, I am always looking to cut down on fat.

Sour Cream Pork Chops
INGREDIENTS
6 pork chops
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 cubes chicken bouillon
2 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
DIRECTIONS
Season pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then dredge in 1/2 cup flour. In a skillet over medium heat, lightly brown chops in a small amount of oil.
Place chops in slow cooker, and top with onion slices. Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and pour over chops. Cover, and cook on Low 7 to 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
After the chops have cooked, transfer chops to the oven to keep warm. Be careful, the chops are so tender they will fall apart. In a small bowl, blend 2 tablespoons flour with the sour cream; mix into meat juices. Turn slow cooker to High for 15 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve sauce over pork chops.
I used Low fat sour cream and although the sauce wasn't very thick it was still AWESOME!! We loved this recipe. I just made it for the first time a couple weeks ago and served it over egg noodles. It's a keeper.

Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast
INGREDIENTS
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 1/4 cups water
5 1/2 pounds pot roast
DIRECTIONS
In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.
Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
I also threw in some red potatoes and carrots. i cut the potatoes in half.... instant meal. Again I used the fat free soup and it turned out fine......
--

Steak and Beans:

Bag of pinto beans (dry, 1lb)
2-3 bacon wrapped beef fillets (buy on sale!)

Wash the beans, put in crockpot, stick the meat sort of in the middle. Fill ALL THE WAY up with water...cook on low all day, turn up on high and add more water in the afternoon, steak will fall apart! We eat this like soup with cornbread and the leftovers are yummy! This is a good one if you be home to sort of watch it...the beans soak up so much water and will get dried out if you aren't careful.

I also do this with lots of other beans - we also like white beans and ham cooked this way!

Chicken...I use the individually frozen chicken breasts in my crockpot b/c I think they dry out any other way you cook them...I always start with mine frozen, just stick em in the crockpot.

Then add your choice:
A bottle of barbeque sauce...meat will shred and is great for a sandwich

a can of cream soup (chicken, potato, broccoli, mushroom - I have even used the reduced fat), serve over rice or noodles.

A bottle of italian salad dressing (you might need two if you are cooking much chicken)...great with or on a salad

My family's fave - Crockpot Meatloaf

Cut up enought potatoes in chunks to cover the bottom of your crockpot, spray pot with PAM or oil it well, place potatoes in the bottom. Make a meatloaf like you normally would (I mix 1-1.5 lbs of ground meat, an egg, some bread crumbs, and onion flake, maybe a squirt of ketchup - my folks like simple), shape it into a loaf and place in the crockpot, making sure the sides of the loaf don't touch the pot. Cook on low 8 hours. I usually put this on at 7 am and then turn it up to high at about 3pm to get a nice brown crust. (we eat at 5:30, to give you a time reference)

Beef Tips and Rice

2 lbs stew meat, trimmed
2 packs of brown gravy or beef stew dry mixes
Water

Combine in crockpot, cook on low all day, serve over rice or noodles

Bean and Corn Chili

Ingredients:
2 medium onions, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbs red wine
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely choppd
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 15-oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 6-oz can tomato paste
8-oz frozen corn kernels
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 cups nonfat chicken or vegetable broth
Directions:
In a medium skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil and red wine. Add the skillet contents and the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Mix thoroughly. Cover; cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
Championship Chili

Ingredients:
3 1/2 - 4 lbs coarsely ground beef
1 14 1/2-oz. can beef broth
3 Tbs onion, finely shopped
1 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp instant beef bouillon granules, divided
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
2 Tbs paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs cumin
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
1 Tbs lime juice
Directions:
Cook beef in large skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble until beef is browned drain. Place cooked beef, chopped onion, beef broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, paprika, cumin, two teaspoons beef bouillon, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and black pepper in stoneware. Cover cook for 7 hours on Low or 3 hours on High. Stir in remaining beef bouillon, onion powder, salt, sugar, garlic salt, chicken bouillon and lime juice. Cover cook one more hour.

Easy Pleas'n Chili
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef, pork, chicken or turkey
5 cloves garlic minced or 1 tbs bottled chopped garlic
2 onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 cans (19 oz each) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
1 can (5.5 oz) tomato paste
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup salsa
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp each dried cumin and dried oregano
1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, and hot sauce
1 each, red and green sweet pepper, finely chopped

Suggested toppings: chopped tomatoes, avocado, green onion, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream.
Directions:
1. In large non-stick skillet, cook ground meat, garlic and onion over medium-high heat, breaking up meat with spoon, for 9-10 minutes or until fully cooked. With slotted spoon transfer to Crock-Pot slow cooker stoneware. 2. Add the meat mixture and remaining ingredients, except sweet peppers, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours or until bubbly and hot. 3. Stir in peppers; cover and cook on High for an additional 15 minutes. 4. Adjust seasoning and serve with suggested toppings. Refrigerate prepared chili in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.For a fun and edible serving container try these tortilla bowls:Randomly pierce 6 inch tortillas with a fork. Place tortilla over inverted 4 inch bowl or ramekin and lightly press around bowl. Microwave 2 tortillas on High for 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove tortillas from bowls; repeat as necessary. Preparation time: 15 minutesMakes: 4-6 servings

White Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb Great Northern beans, soaked
2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 4-oz. cans green chilies
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 14 1/2 oz. can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
Directions:
Put beans in medium pan and cover with water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and allow to simmer 20 minutes. Drain and discard water. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and brown if desired. Put all ingredients in the stoneware. Stir to mix thoroughly. Cover; cook on Low 8-10 hours or on High 4-6 hours.
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chilies, drained
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, including juice
½ - 1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 lime
4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 avocado, seeded, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
Directions:
1.Place chicken in Crock-Pot® slow cooker.2.Combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, ½ cup chicken broth and cumin in a small bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.3.Cook on High for 3 hours. When chicken is tender, use the tines of 2 forks to shred the meat. Adjust seasonings adding additional broth if necessary.4.Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to Crock-Pot slow cooker. Stir to blend. 5.Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.Yield: Serves 4 - 6

Pasta Fagioli Soup

Ingredients:
1 15 1/2-oz. can Great Northern beans
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 10 1/2-oz. cans condensed beef broth
2 14 1/2-oz. cans whole tomatoes
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 tsp dried basil
2 cups macaroni, cooked
Directions:
Combine all ingredients, except pasta in the stoneware. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours or on High 4 to 6 hours. Add the pasta 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.

Spiced Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 - 28 ounce can stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium onion chopped
1 celery stalk, sliced
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander4 cups lowfat, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (or on High 4 to 5 hours), or until lentils are tender. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Makes 4 to 6 servings. 1 gram of fat per serving.

Hot Broccoli Cheese Dip

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 4-oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
3 Tbs flour
1 10 3/4-oz can cream of celery soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 10-oz package chopped broccoli
Directions:
In a small skillet, melt the butter and saute the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir in the flour. Place into a lightly greased slow cooker and stir in remaining ingredients. Cover cook on High, stirring about every 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Turn to Low for 2 to 4 hours or until ready to serve.

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:
2 8-oz. packages softened cream cheese
3/4 cup light cream
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 16-oz. bag frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed and well drained
1 13 3/4-oz. can quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed
2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup prepared salsa mixture, canned or fresh
Directions:
In a food processor, process the cream cheese, cream, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder until smooth and creamy. Add the spinach and process until thoroughly mixed. Add the artichokes and process until coarsely chopped. Spoon the mixture in to the stoneware. Cover cook on High for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until hot in the center. Sprinkle the top evenly with Monterey Jack cheese and spoon the salsa in a ring around the inside edges of the stoneware. Cover and continue heating on High 15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted

Asian Spiced Chicken Wings

Ingredients:
3 lbs chicken wings
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/2 hoisin sauce
1 Tbs fresh lime juice
3 Tbs sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
Directions:
Broil the chicken wings 10 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer the chicken wings to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredeints, except the hoisin sauce, lime juice, sesame seeds, and green onions and stir thoroughly. Cover; cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours. Stir once in the middle of cooking to baste the wings with sauce. Remove the wings from the stoneware and reserve 1/4 cup of the juice in the slow cooker. Combine this juice with the hoisin sauce and lime juice. Drizzle over the chicken wings. Before serving, sprinkle wings with toasted sesame seeds and green onions, and mix to coat evenly.

Chicken Wings in Teriyaki Sauce

Ingredients:
3 lbs chicken wings (16 wings)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry cooking sherry
Directions:
Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Cut off and discard wing tips. Cut each wing at the joint to make two sections. Place the wing parts on a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 20 minutes, 10 minutes on each side or until chicken is brown. Transfer to the slow cooker.Mix together the onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and cooking sherry in a bowl. Pour over the chicken wings. Cover cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours. Stir chicken wings once to make sure wings are evenly coated with sauce.

Chicken Wings in BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:
3 lbs chicken wings (about 16 wings)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
1/4 cups honey
2 tsp prepared mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Directions:
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut off and discard wing tips. Cut each wing at the joint to make two sections. Sprinkle the wings with salt and pepper and place on a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches away from the heat for 20 minutes, turning once during the middle of broiling. Transfer the chicken to the Crock-Pot(R) Slow Cooker.For the sauce, combine barbecue sauce, honey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in a mixing bowl. Pour over chicken wings. Cover; cook on Low fo 5 hours or on High for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

#346 ·
And some more, this time vegetarian dishes

Country Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients:
6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
10 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Lightly grease the stoneware. Alternate layers of potatoes, onions, cheese, parsley and mushrooms in the stoneware. In a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, paprika, pepper and salt. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover cook on Low for 7 to 9 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:
2 lbs sweet potatoes, mashed
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs flour
2 Tbs margarine or butter, melted
Directions:
Lightly grease the slow cooker. In a large bowl, mix the sweet potatoes, 1/3 cup margarine, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the orange juice, eggs and milk. Transfer to the stoneware.Combine pecans, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour and 2 Tbs margarine and spread over the potatoes. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours.

Vegetable Curry

Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 6-oz can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
2 Tbs curry powder
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups cauliflower florets
1 10-oz package frozen peas, thawed
Directions:
Place potatoes, onion, pepper, carrots and tomotoes in the slow cooker. Stir in tomato paste, water, curry powder, cumin seeds, garlic powder and salt. Mix well and add the cauliflower florets. Cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours. Stir in peas just before serving.

Hearty Cheese Hash Browns

Ingredients:
5 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup milk
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and mix thoroughly. Cover cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.

Mexican Casserole

Ingredients:
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, with juice
1 14 1/2-oz. can salsa
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 1/4-oz. can sweet corn, drained
2 chili peppers, sliced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
5 tortillas
Directions:
Combine the tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste, beans, corn, chili peppers, cumin and garlic powder in a large bowl. Mix well. Place approx. 1 cup of this mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker and spread evenly. Top this with one tortilla and cut it to fit if necessary. Spread with 1/3 of the remaining mixture. Repeat these layers, ending when there is no liquid mixture left. Cook on Low for 5 hours.

Stuffed Pasta Shells

Ingredients:
1 20-oz. package of cheese-stuffed pasta shells
8-oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp olive oil
1 28-oz. can plum tomtoes, cut up
1 6-oz. can low-sodium tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup white wine
Directions:
Saute the mushrooms in the oil in a skillet for about 5 minutes. Transfer them to the stoneware. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, garlic and wine. Cover and cook on High for 3 1/2 to 5 hours. Add the shells to the sauce, making certain to cover them with sauce. Cover and cook for about 1 hour or until the shells are thoroughly hot.

Baked Eggplant

Ingredients:
1 ¼ lbs eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbs olive oil
1 can (16-oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
3 Tbs tomato sauce
½ cup pitted ripe olives, cut in half
2 Tbs Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs capers, drained
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Combine eggplant, onions, celery, oil, tomatoes and tomato sauce in Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low 3 ½ to 4 hours or until eggplant is tender.Stir in olives, vinegar, sugar, capers and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour or until heated through.

Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
6 tall green bell peppers, seeded and cored
1 cup reduced-fat Jack cheese, grated
1 cup tomato salsa
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
Directions:
In a medium skillet, saute the onion until golden. Season with the cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin and chili powder. In a medium mixing bowl, mash half of the black beans with sauteed onions. Mix in the remaining beans. Place the bell peppers in the slow cooker, and spoon the black bean mixture into the bell peppers. Pour the salsa over the cheese. Cover; cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours. Serve each pepper with a dollop of sour cream

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.