post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 700 Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom View Post
I do want to say, if anyone is using "Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker," that it's not necessary to saute the onions and veggies like she always says. I have made at least half the recipes in the book and stopped sauteing after the first few because who has time to saute?
TwinMom - Any favorites from this book??? I got it a month ago but there are so many things to try that I haven't chosen any to start with. I'd love a winner to start!

And if you don't get around to responding, we'll know it is just you and your circus too busy to even read the thread.
#422 of 700 Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM

Hi there,
I'm cooking a beef brisket w/bbq sauce and Pepsi (great recipe) for 7 hours on low, which means it'll be ready at 1:30 am. Can I leave it in there until 6:00 am on low? Will it burn or just keep cooking slow? I can't believe I didn't time this better............. Thanks!

Faith

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#423 of 700 Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 AM

ELKmama, haha! Yes, we really like the Sloppy Lentils. The Ziti Casserole (I think that's what it's called) was a favorite until we couldn't have wheat anymore (can't find burger crumbles w/o it), but we still like the Lentil Bolognese with brown rice pasta.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#424 of 700 Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Every night before I go to bed, I have been putting into the crockpot 3 c. of dry beans (not even soaked), a chopped onion, and whatever seasoning sounds good, about 1 T. per c. of beans. Then I turn it on low for 10 hours and when I wake up, there's a pot of melt-in-your-mouth beans ready for lunch that day. In the morning I make some cornbread or biscuits or throw some rice into the rice cooker. Slice up some fruit and lunch is DONE before 8 a.m.! Or it could be dinner, but lunch is my can't-figure-out-what-to-make meal.

I can't remember who posted the Vegetarian Black Bean soup recipe, but I have it printed out and I'm going to make it for tomorrow's dinner. Our homeschooling co-op starts up again tomorrow so I know I'll need dinner already taken care of or we'll be eating Taco Bell. I think I'm just going to throw everything but the rice in the crockpot tomorrow morning and hope for the best.

#425 of 700 Old 02-22-2007, 06:01 PM

This is an awesome thread!!! I have 9 pages cut and pasted.

And...to the PP who said you have to cook lasagna noodles before baking...you DON'T. You don't need the special no-bake noodles either - any noodles will do. Just layer them in as you normally would, but unbaked, and make sure the top layer is covered with sauce. Bake for about an hour (I cover the pan w/aluminum foil for the first half-hour) and the noodles will be soft. Honest! I do it all the time.

Now..I can't wait to make something in the slow cooker tomorrow!!!!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#426 of 700 Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM

I love that lasagna trick! It works with brown rice lasagna noodles, too.

#427 of 700 Old 02-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Subbing ... can't wait to break out the ol' crockpot.
#428 of 700 Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 PM

tonight i made one of the previously posted -chickpea, potato and veggie curry recipes. it has cooked now for 6 hours and the potatoes are still hard!

i have a newer 5.5qt crockpot that looks like this

crockpot

has anyone heard of the glass lids becoming warped and not keeping in all the heat? i swear i made veggie stew with potatoes the first few times i used and and it cooked fine!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#429 of 700 Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
tonight i made one of the previously posted -chickpea, potato and veggie curry recipes. it has cooked now for 6 hours and the potatoes are still hard!

i have a newer 5.5qt crockpot that looks like this

crockpot

has anyone heard of the glass lids becoming warped and not keeping in all the heat? i swear i made veggie stew with potatoes the first few times i used and and it cooked fine!

Hmm, I haven't heard of that happening! I just bought this same crockpot last week, to replace the white round version of it that we had for a few years. Haven't used my new one yet, hopefully it'll keep in the steam! Yikes.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#430 of 700 Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 AM

I have had several crockpots that just didn't work. AFter 36 hours, beans were still uncooked, that kind of thing. Did your potatoes ever cook? Could you see the liquid bubbling at all, or any other signs that it was boiling? I called the company, told them that it didn't work, and they sent me another one right away, maybe you could do that?

#431 of 700 Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies - I ended up pulling out our portions and microwaving it to *try* and get the potatoes cooked before we ate it, but they were still hard. We ended up eating around them. I turned the crockpot back on high/4hours and let it go for a few more hours before I turned it off. I did notice that it was bubbling when I turned it off. I will have to check the leftovers today to see if that few extra hours on high actually cooked the potatoes.

I will definitely try to call Rival because I think 6 hours should be enough to cooked small pieces of potato! I had peeled the potato and the pieces were pretty small.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#432 of 700 Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 PM

: These are great!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#433 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM

I'm a newbie at roasting-type recipes with crockpot, so would appreciate some help here. I read more than 10 pages and noticed that it seems quite doable to just put a whole chicken in the greased pot? Our family prefers only the thigh portion (we just cant appreciate the breast ), so does it work if I were to just put in like 4 thighs? Does it matter that it may somehow be overlapped at certain parts?

Also, I read one of the posts which mentioned putting scrunched-up foil 'balls' at bottom of chicken so that they dont get scorched and stuck to bottom, them does the precious and yummy juices get all messily trapped in the foil balls? Same goes if whole potatoes are wrapped in foil and placed beneath chicken?
#434 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 03:16 PM

marking the thread for when i have time to read
#435 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
Unfortunately, my Rival Crockpot has a nonstick coating : I bought it before I knew anything was wrong with that idea. I thought--"Oh cool! non-stick!" ha-ha. Whatever. I'm also just finding out that it has lead in the glaze too. Sheesh. It's practically brand new. I hate to get rid of a $30 C.P. and spend more money on a new one, but I may have to.
(hopefully you are still reading this thread)
If you are more worried about the lead than plastics ( which is the lesser of two evils?), try using the crockpot liners, I think they are made by reynolds. I tried them once, and they were pretty good, but decided the cost and waste was not worth it for me... we just soak the stuckon's off for a day or so... but it may make your crock easier to for you to use!
(i have stopped buying pretty much anything that is nonstick... except the foil- anyone know what makes that non stick?)
#436 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM

subbing (and reading!)
#437 of 700 Old 03-02-2007, 10:28 PM

:
#438 of 700 Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 AM

:

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#439 of 700 Old 03-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Subbing again....need new ideas!!
#440 of 700 Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Okidokee ladies, after reading about the Rival glaze issue, I have gotten rid of my Rival CP and am ready to buy a new one. What is the ULTIMATE cp in your opinion and why?

TIA

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

#441 of 700 Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM

:
#442 of 700 Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Oh wow, got thru ALL the pages, half blind! But the good news is I copied and pasted several recipes and I am making lentils in there now for dinner tonight!

Keep em coming! I forgot I posted in the earlier threads of this too!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#443 of 700 Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM

subbing too! thanks for all the great recipes!
#444 of 700 Old 03-24-2007, 04:42 PM

I am soooo bookmarking this thread. I just bought a slow-cooker cookbook at the Borders clearance section today because it actually had recipes that looked wholesome and worth making. I'll try a few and post the successes here (appropriately crediting said publication).
#445 of 700 Old 03-24-2007, 05:40 PM

I just ordered a few crock pot cookbooks off Amazon. I made the lentils last night and wow they were yummy!!! We are giving the other half to my expectant friend due any second. Her dh is veggie and her dd will eat the lentils too.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#446 of 700 Old 03-25-2007, 04:55 PM

OK, so I just copied and pasted 28 pages of recipes from this thread in preparation for my dive into meal planning I didn't copy them all, but if anyone wants my file, PM me!

And holy cow, thanks to all the mamas who contributed I just bought a new crockpot after reading the "lead in the glaze" thread--I'm so looking forward to trying it out!

ETA that I've got 55 recipes copied and pasted. I'm so hungry now

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#447 of 700 Old 03-27-2007, 10:30 AM

I just started the morrocian chicken and ummm ummm it smells yummy.
only 6 hours to go....

#448 of 700 Old 03-27-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I just started the morrocian chicken and ummm ummm it smells yummy.
only 6 hours to go....
Ooooh oooh! That's going to be my first choice, as soon as I can get to the grocery store to pick up a few extra ingredients (like the apricots ). Let us know how it turns out!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#449 of 700 Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM

subbing :
#450 of 700 Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 AM

It was yummy!! I am now making oatmeal on low to cook overnight for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page