post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cornstarch is super refined and not healthy at all. It's also made from corn which in almost all cases in genetically modified. It also will only thicken to a point before reversing and thinning out what you are trying to thicken. Arrowroot is healthier because it's not gmo, and it doesn't not reverse on itself. Kuzu root is even better because it is super healthy for you.
#482 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
I would LOVE your recipes for these! I've got a notebook going with printouts from you ladies! Let me know if anyone wants me to email them a compiled Word document of recipes from this thread!

Oh wow, would I ever love to have that. I haven't copied everything down yet, but would like to.
#483 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
Cornstarch is super refined and not healthy at all. It's also made from corn which in almost all cases in genetically modified. It also will only thicken to a point before reversing and thinning out what you are trying to thicken. Arrowroot is healthier because it's not gmo, and it doesn't not reverse on itself. Kuzu root is even better because it is super healthy for you.
Where would one find arrowroot or Kuzu root and how does one make the substitution? (Keeping in mind that I live in the middle of nowhere...)
#484 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
Just out of curiosity, exactly what about it is not healthy at all? I mean, I understand that some people want to avoid genetically modified food. But in what way isn't it healthy? Or more specifically, is there some way that cornstarch has been demonstrated to be unhealthy, as in bad for your health as opposed to just being a food ingredient that's rather empty in terms of its nutritional content? Not trying to argue that it's a great food or anything, but I'm still trying to figure out whether I should avoid it or just treat it as I do now, as something that's kindof an empty calorie/carb source.

As for thickening, I haven't had any problem with the thickening reversing except when you freeze it. If it's gonna be frozen, then I do think it gets thinner. Not horribly so though.

I'd love to have a thickener that worked better and was healthier, but given that I'd have to prolly order it from some online place and pay a lot, I am just trying to sort out whether it would be worth it, esp on our tight budget. Cornstarch is cheap and available at the IGA.
#485 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
I want to pull out the crock again, but now that the temps are heating up the crock recipes I know sound so wintery. Any summer fair ideas? I liked the farmer's market one, it still sound a bit winteryish. Maybe I'm dreamin'. Any crockpot gazpacho recipes out there .
try "fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker"

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#486 of 700 Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
Oh wow, would I ever love to have that. I haven't copied everything down yet, but would like to.
You know what? My computer got stolen and I didn't have that file backed up! I did pass the file on to two mamas here before that happened....but I don't know who (I erased the emails).

Anyone???
#487 of 700 Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
You know what? My computer got stolen and I didn't have that file backed up! I did pass the file on to two mamas here before that happened....but I don't know who (I erased the emails).
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your computer. That sucks! s

If anyone does have the file to pass along, I would be most thankful.

Anyone?
#488 of 700 Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, exactly what about it is not healthy at all? I mean, I understand that some people want to avoid genetically modified food. But in what way isn't it healthy? Or more specifically, is there some way that cornstarch has been demonstrated to be unhealthy, as in bad for your health as opposed to just being a food ingredient that's rather empty in terms of its nutritional content? Not trying to argue that it's a great food or anything, but I'm still trying to figure out whether I should avoid it or just treat it as I do now, as something that's kindof an empty calorie/carb source.
Arrowroot as a thickener is pretty easy to find. I get at my local HFS.

For more on why corn is dangerous, watch "The Future of Food". People have had serious reactions to genetically modified corn. That stuff freaks me out.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#489 of 700 Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Arrowroot as a thickener is pretty easy to find. I get at my local HFS.

For more on why corn is dangerous, watch "The Future of Food". People have had serious reactions to genetically modified corn. That stuff freaks me out.
Yeah, but do they have it at the local IGA? I live in a midwestern small town pop 2200. What you can find easily in your town may be rarer than hens teeth here. (We have quite a few hens!)

About corn, what sort of reaction? If all corn is genetically modified and I'm eating corn and not having a reaction, does that mean I'm not eating genetically modified corn? And getting back to the other question, aside from potentially being made from genetically modified corn and from being essentially "empty calories" what bad and unhealthy things have been shown about corn starch?

Not intending to sound argumentative, but like I said, when you live in the middle of nowhere and are trying to budget where you spend and save money, you want to choose the things that are going to make the greatest difference for yourself and family. I wish I could afford to have everything be organic and always fresh and so on, but it's just not a realistic expectation for us. At least not now. So I try to balance cost and benefit and time and availability and a host of other factors. Ykwim.
#490 of 700 Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your computer. That sucks! s

If anyone does have the file to pass along, I would be most thankful.

Anyone?
I have a Word file of about 55 recipes from here--not all of them, but probably around 70%. PM me if you want it, if no one can come up with Emma's file.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#491 of 700 Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 PM

:

Jennifer, Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996,
Noah born at home 2002, Elijah waterborne at home 2004,: and Isabella: waterborne at home 2007
#492 of 700 Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Not intending to sound argumentative, but like I said, when you live in the middle of nowhere and are trying to budget where you spend and save money, you want to choose the things that are going to make the greatest difference for yourself and family. I wish I could afford to have everything be organic and always fresh and so on, but it's just not a realistic expectation for us. At least not now. So I try to balance cost and benefit and time and availability and a host of other factors. Ykwim.

: Same here.. That is why I end up buying so much online, and jump for joy during spring and summer for the Farmer's Markets!!
#493 of 700 Old 05-13-2007, 09:36 PM

I figured I wasn't the only one. It's a tough balance. I did make a fantastic discovery this weekend though. I drove up to meet my mom for lunch on Saturday in one of the small towns that's in between us. They have a nice little family type cafe that is very good. Afterward we discovered a really neat little Mennonite store which sells a lot of bulk foods and dry goods and organice stuff and so on. It was surprisingly well stocked with a variety of things. And the prices were good. I came home with a bunch of stuff like organic grains, dry beans, dried fruit, seasonings and spices. I even found a small container of that arrowroot to try. And stevia powder! I have been wanting to try stevia as a sweetener since I'm trying to lose weight and it's supposed to be a good natural substitute to aspartame. I am excited to have stocked up on a few things and even made some granola last night. Today we ate out for mother's day, but I will cook some beans tomorrow. I hope I can go back to this shop again soon. It's closer than the nearest healthfoods store in the city. By the time you pay gas, it's prolly not cheaper than shopping online, but it's more fun picking stuff out in person.
#494 of 700 Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 PM

i tried searching through the posts here but there are many! i was at trader joe's yesterday and they were serving a chicken/rice dish where she poured a jar of the pineapple salsa in. i want to try it in the crock.

so my question is how much liquid to rice ratio so that it will turn out nice and fluffy with no left over liquid? is it the same as i would cook it on the stove?

tia!
#495 of 700 Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
I have a Word file of about 55 recipes from here--not all of them, but probably around 70%. PM me if you want it, if no one can come up with Emma's file.
I do, too (about 77 recipes), if anyone wants to see it, see the post below:
#496 of 700 Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 PM

As a matter of fact, I'll make it even easier than that. Here it is:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcmp6fcj_11dw9x82
#497 of 700 Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks, chasmyn!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#498 of 700 Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM

subbing,
Quick questions for those who use a crockpot often. I have 6Qt crockpot and whenever I cook the top gets dry and the food gets stuck on sides and bottom. How can I prevent this? TIA

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#499 of 700 Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 AM

thank you, chasmyn!

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#500 of 700 Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#501 of 700 Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=Literate;6983155]
Throw a little olive oil or butter or whatever in the bottom. Fill the crockpot completely with chopped onions (think Costco!). Leave it on for 4-5 hours. It'll smell wonderful.

Take out your much-reduced sauteed onions and freeze on a shallow baking pan. Take out of freezer, break into chunks, put into ziplock bag.

Now everytime you are making something that calls for 20 minutes of sauteing onions you say "Oh, I love that Literate. She's the best." and take a chunk of your onions out. QUOTE]

I just did this yesterday. I now have lots of onion ready to use. I love you.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#502 of 700 Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM

I made this the other night and dh said it was the best soup I'd *ever* made!

Southwestern Chicken Soup

1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 small summer squash and/or zucchini, diced
2-3 carrots, sliced (or just a couple handfuls of baby carrots)
1/2-1 c. of celery
1/2 a rotisserie chicken, skinned and pulled into small chunks
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 qt. of vegetable broth or chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin

Toss everything in the crockpot, stir it up, and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.
#503 of 700 Old 09-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Bumping this one up.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#504 of 700 Old 09-02-2007, 06:50 PM

I winged it yesterday to make this, and it turned out REALLY good, so...

Green Chile Crockpot Stew

6 mild green chile peppers, diced
8 tomatillos, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
(would be good with more tomatillos and tomatoes, but that's all we had)

Roast chile peppers, tomatillos, tomatoes on high heat, no oil, just right in the pan, until chiles are cooked. Dump in crockpot.

In the pan you just roasted the other stuff in, add
1 tbsp oil
1 lb ground beef or pork (or half & half, since that's what we had)
1/2 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Saute all until meat is cooked, then dump into crockpot on the chile mixture.

Add
4 large chopped potatoes
4 cups broth
Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are done.
#505 of 700 Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 AM

:
Louise
#506 of 700 Old 09-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Looks like I am not the only one getting ready to switch from the BBQ to fall cooking. I still have to replace my crockpot. Does anyone here have the KitchenAid Crock? I'd love to hear some reviews from real moms!

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

#507 of 700 Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Wow what a great thread--I'm so excited to get my crockpot back out--especially with all the veggie recipes as those are usually hard to find!!

THANKS!!

Holly
#508 of 700 Old 09-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Lots of 'dump and cook' recipes coming!

Cajun Chicken & Shrimp Creole

1 pound skinless chicken thighs
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 rib celery, diced
1 can (15 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 pound shelled shrimp, deveined & cleaned
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Louisiana-style hot sauce to taste
1 cup prepared quick-cooking rice

Place chicken thighs in crockpot. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, tomatoes with juice, garlic, sugar, paprika, Cajun seasoning, salt & pepper. Cover. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. In last hour of cooking, add shrimp, lemon juice & hot sauce. Serve over hot rice.
#509 of 700 Old 09-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Chicken Parisienne

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, undilutd
2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup sour cream
6 cups hot cooked egg noodles

Place chicken in crockpot. Sprinkle with salt, pepper & paprika. Add soup, mushrooms & wine to crockpot; mix well. Cover. Cook on high 2 to 3 hours. Add sour cream during last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve over noodles.
#510 of 700 Old 09-03-2007, 06:08 PM

Cashew Chicken

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup sliced celery
1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup cashews
Hot cooked rice

Combine all ingredients (except rice) in crockpot. Cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours or until done. Serve over rice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page