post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Magnificent thread! I was looking for crockpot recipes to freeze since we're expecting our first wee one at the end of the year - this just gave me 11 c&p'd pages of ideas!

Here's one I'll add, there was a similar chicken-based one earlier - mine is hamburger-based, and has always been a hit when I take it to company/church functions.

Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger
3 cans rotel (do not drain) (pick your flavor, I usually use 1 hot, 2 original. If you can't handle the heat, you could substitute stewed or diced tomatoes, but I don't make any flavor guarantees in that case Also, I usually buy one extra can of rotel, just in case.)
1 can corn (do not drain)
1 can black beans (drain)
1 can pinto beans (drain)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch dressing seasoning
Tortilla chips
Shredded cheese
Sour cream (if desired)

Directions:

Brown hamburger, drain grease

In a crockpot, stir together the browned hamburger, 3 cans of rotel (undrained), corn (undrained), black beans, pinto beans, taco seasoning, and ranch seasoning.

I have made this in the morning before work - I just put the crockpot on the lowest setting (I also come home at lunch to give it a stir and to check to see if it needs water). If you do it at lunchtime or later, set the crockpot on medium-low. Add water to your desired soupy consistency. I make mine so that it's almost like chili - maybe a little runnier.

Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. Makes 8-12 servings. Delicious meal for the fall/winter months, and great for leftovers.

Vary this with different veggies and/or beans - I've used green beans, but I prefer the corn.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#542 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 AM

What is rotel?

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

#543 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl View Post
What is rotel?
Tomatoes mixed with green chilis. You can find it near the canned tomatoes at the grocery store.
#544 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 01:22 AM

:
#545 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl View Post
I stumbled upon this huge list of Slow Cooker Recipes.

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ltlqn/aboutcrockpot2.html

It has WW points listed for the recipes for those that are into that.
I love recipes w/WW points listed, thanks!
#546 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini View Post
I just made this and it's delicious!

Crockery Apple Pork Tenderloin

2.5 - 3.5 lb pork tenderloin (pork butt roast would work too)
4 - 5 cloves garlic
1 onion, quartered
3 apples, cored and sliced
1 tsp salt or to taste
12 oz beer OR veggie broth (I absolutely LOVE Frontier's powdered broth! It makes any roast delicious!)

Randomly poke garlic cloves into the pork.
Sprinkle with salt.
Break up the onion pieces and put them on top of the pork along with the apples.
Pour beer or broth over everything.
Cook on high 7.5 - 8 hours.

Just so you know, the apples are pretty much desintegrated at this point and aren't exactly edible.
Is this really on HIGH for all that time? Seems like an aweful long time to be that high... I want to do this for Sunday dinner today...
#547 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetirishCT View Post
Is this really on HIGH for all that time? Seems like an aweful long time to be that high... I want to do this for Sunday dinner today...
I've edited my post, I think LOW would be fine. Mine was a bit tough on High. Or try less time? I was surprised to see that much time on High also, since tenderloin cooks really quickly!
#548 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I've edited my post, I think LOW would be fine. Mine was a bit tough on High. Or try less time? I was surprised to see that much time on High also, since tenderloin cooks really quickly!
Yeah, I ended up going back to a slow-cooker cookbook for other pork loin recipes, and most said about that time on a low setting, so that is what I went with. I have made the mistake of leaving something on high for too long before, and not wanting to do that again... And I am using a 'regular' pork loin, more for my money than tenderloin...
#549 of 700 Old 10-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I ended up going back to a slow-cooker cookbook for other pork loin recipes, and most said about that time on a low setting, so that is what I went with. I have made the mistake of leaving something on high for too long before, and not wanting to do that again... And I am using a 'regular' pork loin, more for my money than tenderloin...
I got a HUGE pork tenderloin @ Trader Joes for under $5 or I wouldn't be able to do it. I Trader Joes!
#550 of 700 Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 PM

Here is one of my fav's. It makes alot and I cook it on LOW (not HIGH as recipe states). I hope this is not a repeat recipe. I have not had time to go through each page yet...only the first 7 or so. This recipe is from 'Cooking Light' magazine~

Chickpea and Veggie Stew

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup (1-inch) cut green beans
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup light coconut milk
6 lemon wedges

Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic, and chile; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in chickpeas and next 8 ingredients (through broth). Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and coconut milk; stir until spinach wilts. Serve with lemon wedges.

enjoy,
brenda
#551 of 700 Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Slow-Cooked Tuscan Pork with White Beans
Ingredients
2 cups dried navy beans
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage, divided
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
8 garlic cloves, minced and divided
2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
4 cups water
2 bay leaves

Preparation
Sort and wash navy beans, and place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand for 8 hours. Drain the beans. Combine 2 teaspoons sage, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds, and 3 minced garlic cloves. Rub sage mixture over pork. Place pork, navy beans, remaining 1 teaspoon sage, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 5 minced garlic cloves, 4 cups water, and bay leaves in slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 8 hours. Discard bay leaves. Pull pork apart into chunks, and serve with bean mixture.

**The first time I made this I thought it was a little bland so feel free to jazz it up with more spices as you see fit. Mix the left over pork with BBQ sauce and serve on buns to make pulled pork sandwhiches for dinner the next night.
#552 of 700 Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda-sw View Post
Here is one of my fav's. It makes alot and I cook it on LOW (not HIGH as recipe states). I hope this is not a repeat recipe. I have not had time to go through each page yet...only the first 7 or so. This recipe is from 'Cooking Light' magazine~

Chickpea and Veggie Stew

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup (1-inch) cut green beans
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup light coconut milk
6 lemon wedges

Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic, and chile; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in chickpeas and next 8 ingredients (through broth). Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and coconut milk; stir until spinach wilts. Serve with lemon wedges.

enjoy,
brenda
Sounds really great, thanks for posting!
#553 of 700 Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
As a matter of fact, I'll make it even easier than that. Here it is:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcmp6fcj_11dw9x82
for those who haven't made it through reading all pages.
#554 of 700 Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 PM

I LOVE this thread!!
#555 of 700 Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM

MMMMM...ham and beans.

1.25 lbs dry pintos, large chopped onion, ham hock, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili powder, 8 cups of water. I put it all in the crock in the fridge over night, let it go until I get home from work, and viola! Yum. And super cheap!
#556 of 700 Old 10-18-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I got a HUGE pork tenderloin @ Trader Joes for under $5 or I wouldn't be able to do it. I Trader Joes!
I have to drive 35-45mins to Trader Joes in Worcester. Oh well, next time I'm in the area I will have to hit it up...
Well, as far as the apple pork loin goes it was 'OK'. DH was not crazy about the combo of the garlic and the apples. I wasn't sure if it was the apples/onions, or apple/garlic, or if the garlic was just not fresh enough. Dunno. I will try it next time with a bunch of apples and spices (cinn, nutmeg,etc) and see how it turns out. Mine was a bit dry, even on low, but I think b/c it was more like 8hrs by the time I served dinner. And I even tried the 'warm' setting! grr... Oh well, on to the next recipe!!
#557 of 700 Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Yum - brilliant thread! I'm subbing so I don't miss anything while starting from the very beginning!

My favourite quick crockpot meal is chicken casserole - I brown 500gm diced chicken, 1 tsp garlic and 1 diced onion, then toss it all in the crockpot with 1kg frozen vegies, a jar of diced tomatoes and a jar of pasta sauce (one of the tomato ones).

I put it on anytime between 9am and 12pm, and it's ready for dinner anytime from 6pm - 7pm!
#558 of 700 Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 PM
cjr

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, exactly what about it is not healthy at all? I mean, I understand that some people want to avoid genetically modified food. But in what way isn't it healthy? Or more specifically, is there some way that cornstarch has been demonstrated to be unhealthy, as in bad for your health as opposed to just being a food ingredient that's rather empty in terms of its nutritional content?
Here is some information on corn, cornstarch (which is used to make high fructose corn syrup) and a little info on highly procesed foods.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/apr/10/corn_fat.htm

Foods that are overly processed actually depleat the body of nutrition. It's always a good idea to stay clear of processed foods. It isn't just nutritionally depleated, but it actually depleats micro nutrients your body already has.
#559 of 700 Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
Here is some information on corn, cornstarch (which is used to make high fructose corn syrup) and a little info on highly procesed foods.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/apr/10/corn_fat.htm

Foods that are overly processed actually depleat the body of nutrition. It's always a good idea to stay clear of processed foods. It isn't just nutritionally depleated, but it actually depleats micro nutrients your body already has.

Ahhh... Didn't know that!
#560 of 700 Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 PM
cjr

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have not been back to this thread in awhile.
#561 of 700 Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 AM

:

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#562 of 700 Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 AM

I'm only through page 8, and totally inspired! YAY! :
#563 of 700 Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I just made this and it's delicious!

Crockery Apple Pork Tenderloin

2.5 - 3.5 lb pork tenderloin (pork butt roast would work too)
4 - 5 cloves garlic
1 onion, quartered
3 apples, cored and sliced
1 tsp salt or to taste
12 oz beer OR veggie broth (I absolutely LOVE Frontier's powdered broth! It makes any roast delicious!)

Randomly poke garlic cloves into the pork.
Sprinkle with salt.
Break up the onion pieces and put them on top of the pork along with the apples.
Pour beer or broth over everything.
Cook on high 7.5 - 8 hours. (my tenderloin was tough at this length of time, next time I'll either use a butt roast or cook the tenderloin on Low, or for less time)

Just so you know, the apples are pretty much desintegrated at this point and aren't exactly edible.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got a lovely TJ tenderloin and used that for tomorrow's meal. (I tend to cook Sunday night for Monday because dh has class on Monday.) We'll pair it with some mashed potatoes and a veggie side....

My suggestions would be... Salt and Pepper your pork to taste. I even add crushed garlic because the cloves for us weren't enough. I also added some additional spice (TJ 21 seasoning salute) because we prefer spice. I also used a bottle of blueberry wheat ale I found at TJs in the hopes of adding more flavor to the pork. I think, after 6 hours, we succeed. We'll reheat this bit tomorrow after a night of marinating. I expect a fabulous meal tomorrow.
#564 of 700 Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM

This smells amazing right now but I can't vouch for the taste yet!

I got it from the "everyday food" mag. :

TexMex Chickn n Beans

1 c pintos, dry, rinsed
11 oz salsa, mild
2 tbsp chopped chilies in adobo sauce
2 tbsp flour
1.5 lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
1 med red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

mix beans, salsa, chilies, flour in crockpot. layer chicken thighs on top, salt and pepper to taste (or wait til the end as I do, since salt toughens beans). sprinkle chopped onion and pepper on top.

cook on low for 8 hours, don't lift lid or stir!

after 8 hours, remove chicken, shred, return to stew. (this is when I add salt and pepper)

Serve in bowls with sour cream and fresh cilantro on top.

I'm having this with buttermilk biscuits - I make a ton and freeze the dough. I'll let you know if it turns out not to taste as good as it smells right now!!!

**edited to add review**
This tastes AMAZING. It's delicious! But, while the adobo adds a great smoked flavor, it is too spicy for my kids. They eat pretty much anything, but this is pushing it. I may try to find a "mild" adobo or substitute a smoky barbeque sauce.

My Crockpot is a "hot" one, and there wasn't enough liquid to keep me from spending the next half hour scrubbing the sides of the pot. I'd add a half cup of water.

The beans were crunchyish. I've never felt it was a good idea to cook beans in a crockpot on low without soaking them the night before. The texture was actually nice, but someone may be a bit gassy later : so I think I'll soak them next time!

I really recommend this one for winter days, especially if your kids like spicy foods! I think it'd even be good without the adobo, using barbeque sauce instead to give it that smoky flavor!
#565 of 700 Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Thank you all for this rock'n thread! I think there should be a forum dedicated just to slow cooking.

dd 10.06joy.gif
#566 of 700 Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
Not morroccan, but here's a chicken/veggie coconut curry recipe--

2lbs. boneless chicken, cut up (I use half breasts, half thighs) OR 2-3 cans chickpeas
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 T. curry powder or more to taste
3 medium potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled (if you want) and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can coconut milk2 tsp. hot sauce, more or less to taste
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with the juice (I use Muir Glen fire roasted)
1 package (10-14 oz) frozen veggies of your choice

Saute the chicken and onions together in a skillet with a little oil until the onions are soft and the chicken is browned. If using chickpeas, just saute the onions. Add the curry powder and toast for a minute or two. Scrape into the crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add potatoes, coconut milk, tomatoes, hot sauce, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. About 1/2 an hour before serving, stir in frozen veggies. Serve over cooked rice.

I have made this a number of different ways--chicken with white potatoes and mixed veggies; chickpeas with sweet potatoes and green beans; chickpeas with sweet potatoes and spinach. Enjoy!
I tried the chickpea version today--LOVED it, and the house smells heavenly of curry. Thank you for sharing!

dd 10.06joy.gif
#567 of 700 Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
As a matter of fact, I'll make it even easier than that. Here it is:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcmp6fcj_11dw9x82
Thanks!!!

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#568 of 700 Old 11-09-2007, 04:57 PM

I recently ditched my cute red Rival Crockpot, because it was coated with Teflon inside--yucky! It also smelled everytime I used it like hot chemicals, and it burnt everything after only 7 hours. So, don't buy that one!

I replaced it with this one from Farberware:

http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-FSS...4638017&sr=1-1

And I LOVE it! It does NOT have a nonstick coating in it (I called the company about that question), and it actually slow cooks your food, so it can cook all day long and not burn your dinner.

I recommend it!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#569 of 700 Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
I recently ditched my cute red Rival Crockpot, because it was coated with Teflon inside--yucky! It also smelled everytime I used it like hot chemicals, and it burnt everything after only 7 hours. So, don't buy that one!

I replaced it with this one from Farberware:

http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-FSS...4638017&sr=1-1

And I LOVE it! It does NOT have a nonstick coating in it (I called the company about that question), and it actually slow cooks your food, so it can cook all day long and not burn your dinner.

I recommend it!
Most don't actually have nonstick coating, but do have lead in the enamel of the crockery. I haven't had success finding a replacement yet, but have read that apparently the lead is a negligible amount in an inert form.... Would someone care to illuminate?
#570 of 700 Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 PM

The KitchenAid folks say their crock is lead free. I bought it (crazy expensive) after hating a Rival Smart Pot. It cremated everything. LOVE the Kitchenaid!!!

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page