post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#691 of 700 Old 11-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
notes.gif Yay!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#692 of 700 Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 PM

I cant wait to try your Baked Chicken and Potatoes, they sound good but I plan to make some changes. I am going to add diced frozen carrots, 1 pkg cream cheese and some italian dressing about an hour before serving.Im trying this because my family loves every thing in a sauce or gravy it was the only way my high functioning autistic would eat for a long time, he has out grown the have to have sauce faze but still loves sauces.

#693 of 700 Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Sorry I forgot to include a quote in my other post. This is the recipe I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I came home with a raging headache and never even made it on the computer...

Baked Potatoes....I take baking Potatoe,wash real well and then poke some holes in them with a knife to let steam escape.Wrap them seperatly in foil and put in crockpot...I usually put around 6 lrg in mine...cook on low all day for 6-10 hours...They are perfect when taken out.Then we add our toppings and serve with salad and rolls...

Roast...Depends of type of roast...We don't eat a beef roast often at all...$$$ and we just don't like to eat much beef...but when we do eat it this is how I prepare it...

Put in crockpot and sprinkle liberally with Mortons Natures Seasoning salt...Pack peeled halved potatoes and chunk carrots around it...Let cook all day on low for 10-12 hours...You can use the juices to make gravey...

Pour all the drippings in a saucepan and add about 1/4 cup of water....take about 1/2 cup and put in bowl..Add 1/4 cup of flour or cornstarch and stir to mix with a whisk.....Add to your pan of drippings and heat on medium/low till it boils and thickens while you are constantly whisking it....Add salt and pepper to taste...

Pork roast....We like the Italian flavor....Put your pork roast in the crockpot ....in small bowl put...

1 teaspoon oregeno
1 teaspoon basil
add 1 cup water...Swirl around till nicely mixed then dump all over your roast....cover and cook on low all day 8-10 hours...This is heavenly...

Baked Chicken and Potatoes....Very Easy

I stick about3-4 leg thigh combos in pot...Sprinkle liberally with Mortons Natures seasoning and then pack peeled 1/2 potatoes around them....Cook on low all day 8-10hours...

I have to go work again and will try to post more tonight when I get home...Love Mylie xx

#694 of 700 Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literate View Post

OK, I haven't read all 18 PAGES!! yet but I hope this helps someone. It's a fantastic time saver.

Throw a little olive oil or butter or whatever in the bottom. Fill the crockpot completely with chopped onions (think Costco!). Leave it on for 4-5 hours. It'll smell wonderful.

Take out your much-reduced sauteed onions and freeze on a shallow baking pan. Take out of freezer, break into chunks, put into ziplock bag.

Now everytime you are making something that calls for 20 minutes of sauteing onions you say "Oh, I love that Literate. She's the best." and take a chunk of your onions out. Granted, you can't be too exact on measurements now, since if your recipe calls for "1 cup onion" it's probably only 1/2 cup now. But who cares.

Just putting this at the (current) top of the page because it's so fantastic. I've done this many times and it saves so much time. I think I thanked Literate when I first read her idea but I have to say it again: Thanks, Literate, you rock!

ETA: After my onions are cooked I use 1-cup and 1/2-cup measuring cups to scoop the onions onto the baking sheet to freeze. Then I have some idea how much I'm using. I figure the onions cook down to about half of what they were so if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup chopped onion, I use a 1-cup chunk of the frozen ones. I also put parchment or wax paper on the baking sheet to help minimize the lingering odor that might meld with my cookies. LOL

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#695 of 700 Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM

OMG. I've been an MDC member since 2007 and I've never seen this thread? How is this possible? It actually came up on a google search for whole foods crockpot recipes. I'm only on like page 10 and it's already the most useful thread ever.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#696 of 700 Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Here's our fav!!!

Simple and yummy!!! Sorry, c/p from my blog!!

To make the beef you need…
Chuck Roast
Pepperocini peppers (I got a big jar)
French rolls
Italian seasoning
oh and a crock pot….and lots of time.

Now here’s the hard part. Take your roast and put it in your crock pot. Pour in about half of the pepperocini “juice” and peppers themselves. And about a tablespoon of the italian seasoning. If you don’t have that, just use oregano and basil. Go heavy because you are using the crock pot. Then add water until your meat is *just* covered. Turn on the crock pot and let it cook on high for ohhhh 5-6 hours.

When it’s done you will be able to fork shred it and it will look like this…

Grab 2 forks and get to shredding.

Once I shred it I turn the crock pot to warm and let it sit all shredded up.

You can plop the meat on the rolls and serve it as is. Juicy or not. Toasted or not. We like it not so juicy and toasted with cheese. So I turned on the broiler and piled on my beef, and sliced some fresh mozzarella cheese to put on top and popped it in the oven for about 3 minutes.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#697 of 700 Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

I need to find proper time to read through all 35 pages of this thread - I love my crockpot. It's one of my best friends. ;-) It's great in the winter for long cooked stews and roasts and great in the summer when you can't abide heating up the house to put dinner on the table. 

I've got a lot of favorites, but if I had to call out one at the top of the list, I'd have to say Crockpot Pulled Pork. And just this minute I decided what we're having for dinner one day this weekend; I need to put a pork shoulder on my shopping list! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#698 of 700 Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 AM

I'm getting hungry just looking!

I would love the tuna casserole and the cheesy scalloped potatoes recipes.  Thanks!!!

#699 of 700 Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post

Crockpot White Chicken Chili

1 pound navy beans, soaked
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
2 tbs coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
8 ounces chopped green chiles
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 cups chicken stock

Put beans in medium pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and allow to simmer 20 minutes. Discard water. Brown chicken in coconut oil. Put all ingredients in crock-pot. Stir to mix thoroughly. Cover. Cook on low 10-12 hours or high 5-6 hours.

Serves 6-8

I'd love to make this but we don't have any coconut oil -- does anyone know what I can use instead?  eat.gif

#700 of 700 Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekangaroo2 View Post

I'd love to make this but we don't have any coconut oil -- does anyone know what I can use instead?  eat.gif

I'm sure it would be fine to substitute olive oil. :)

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page