post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 700 Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just lurking.Can't wait for more recipes.

Wife to yikes2.gif and mama to: dd(14) lol.gifds(12)ROTFLMAO.giftwin ds'(10)twins.gif 

#62 of 700 Old 02-07-2005, 04:24 AM

What ever happened to the chocolate pudding cake recipe?

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#63 of 700 Old 02-07-2005, 12:27 PM

I have recently dusted off the crockpot to help with meal prep. I made meat loaf Saturday with ground venison, it turned out great. I am not usually a meat loaf fan, but was craving some home cooking. Today I am making a Turkey Breast, which smells yummy already- it also works to help me clear the pantry. I had some whole berry cranberry sauce for some bizarre reason that I needed to use. The recipe called for the cranberry sauce, sugar- which I think could easily be substituted or omitted as it also calls for 1/2 c apple juice- I used orange, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon- I used pumpkin pie spice and a T of vinegar. Pour over top and cook for 5 -6 hours, although mine might take longer as it called for half of a turkey breast, I cut my breast in half, but put both halves in as I have a big crockpot and didn't see any sense to cook the other half separately. I am preparing some wild rice stuffing to go with this, which I have never tried either(I have wild rice and celery I need to use!).

Oh, the curried chicken looks good!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#64 of 700 Old 02-07-2005, 02:41 PM

oooh I'm loving this thread! I've tried so many crockpot recipes, after looking up recipes online and SO many of them are either gross, bland, or taste very VERY insta-foodish/processed, which is saying a lot for me, because while I'm an avid mothering.com AP mama, I'm not such a "natural" mama when it comes to food (although I would like to be, but it just seems like such a challange!) and find many "pre-processed" foods to not be total yucky (at least sometimes...).

So I wanted to share one recipe I do that is SO good! I actually got it off MDC here prior to Orion's birth as "birth food", but have no idea who posted it... I'm just going to copy and paste what I have which is NOT a crockpot recipe, just a "simmer on the stove" deal, but it works SO well in a crockpot too! You just need to cook it long enough to heat it through, but leaving it on low all day the flavors are much yummier

I REALLY like this one because it freezes so well, and everything on the list is stuff that *keeps* (freezing the meat and corn) so I can always have the stuff on hand to make this. I'm really bad about perishable foods going bad before I get to use them, so this is great for me

1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans (I don't like black beans so I sub. white beans very good too)
1 jar salsa
1 can corn
2 cans water
1 lb. or ground turkey or beef (or leave out/add more beans to make this a meatless recipe)

Brown the meat. In a crockpot or large soup pot, add meat and all remaining ingredients. Bring almost to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for as long as needed! (Read: for a quick birth, it is ready to eat when heated through. Or, it can simmer all day if you won't need it until later!) Note: If freezing soup, simply freeze after all ingredients are mixed. No need to bring to boil.

Serve with tortilla chips and top with sour cream and cheese.

This is another recipe that I have in my "dinners to freeze" word document that is easy and very yummy. Not quite as wonderfully healthy as most of the ones you guys posted, but its really yummy and very easy:

Potato Soup

I posted this in answer to a question, but it is probably the one of our families favorite meals. I do not give amounts as it depends in how much will fit in your crock pot. I use a "Rotato" potato peeler and food proccessr for all the slicing. I even found a ceramic "potato bowl" to serve it in at a thrift store. (Only for company, we dip out of the pot!)
This is one of our family favorites and is SO easy and relatively cheap. I half fill a crockpot with water. I then add peeled and sliced potatos until the crock is filled, but the potatoes don't stick out of the water (to turn brown). I then add a generous amount of onion powder and salt- (We don't like the texture of "real" onions). Cook this several hours- depending on high or low and time constraints. Near serving time, check the salt level- (potatos need a lot) and onion powder, adjust if needed, stir, add enough cream or milk to "whiten" it- you'll see. Then add as much shredded, cubed or sliced cheese as you wish. The cheese added gets melted in and isn't so flavorful without lots- so I always sprinkle some in each bowl as well. Serve with bacon bits as a topping. Cheese- bacon bits and a dollop of sour cream is a nice presentation, though adding sour cream to the soup makes it more sour than we prefer. I have frozen the leftovers before, I find a 9x13 plastic pan, with soup cube popped out after freezing and then stored in a 2 gallon baggie to be the best way to stack it in the freezer.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#65 of 700 Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 AM

another lurker - I've had a slow cooker for ages and i think i've used it twice - can't wait to cull some recipes from here - thanks everyone!!

mona
#66 of 700 Old 02-12-2005, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2LiamandTara
These all sound great!! Can't wait to try them espically the morrocan chicken if that aprears!!

OK, sorry it has taken me so long, but here it is:

Moroccan Chicken a la Slow Cooker

3 lbs drumsticks (or your choice of chicken cuts, though boneless will take less time to cook!!!)
1/2 lb carrots (peeled & chopped or use baby carrots)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup honey
4 1/2 ounces pitted prunes
4 1/2 ounces dried apricots, chopped

# Heat the oil in a large pan, and brown the chicken pieces in batches. Remove from pan. NOTE: If using skin, leave on for browning and then remove skin before putting into crock pot unless you want to de-fat/skim off the fat later. Plus, this extra fat really screws w/ the heat/cooking time, so best to remove it BEFORE the crockpot!

# Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil, and add the onion & carrots, cooking and stirring until starting to soften (2-3 min?)

# Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

# Add chicken pieces to crock pot, then cover with chopped prunes and apricots, finally covering this with the onion/carrot/stock mixture.

# Cook on low for 4-6 hrs, but as crockpots can vary, check for doneness and cook until chicken is cooked to your satisfaction.

# At this point, the dried fruit should be very soft, chicken should be done, and broth will not be thick.

# DON'T SKIP THIS STEP (it doesn't take that long, and really makes the sauce)! Pour off the broth into a pan, add honey, and reduce over med or med-high heat so the sauce thickens slightly, like the consistency of warm maple syrup (or to your liking, really). Add some of this reduced sauce back into crock pot to coat chicken and serve the rest (like gravy!) for any sauce-fiends you may have.

Serving suggestions: Serve with couscous (we use whole wheat, cooks in less than 5 minutes) and a green veggie (like a side of peas or make a salad).

Veg version: Use chickpeas instead of chicken or chicken-like TVP. For vegans, if you can find a good substitute for honey, you're all set.
lolablitz likes this.
#67 of 700 Old 02-12-2005, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelocks
What ever happened to the chocolate pudding cake recipe?

I haven't been able to type very well...I caught Fifths disease from one of my students and all my joints are inflamed and moving and typing is really hard lately...But I am going to get this one typed. I will try to post others I promised during good times also...Love Mylie xx

Crockpot chocolate pudding cake

1 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 T cocoa
2 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup milk
2 T veg. oil
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts(can omit...I do)

Sauce....
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cup hot water

Spray the inside of crockpot with cooking spray. Mix all cake ingredients in med. bowl and mix till smooth..Add to crockpot..

Mix your cocoa and brown sugar in small bowl and add hot water and mix till smooth.

Pour over the cake batter evenly.Do not mix...

Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or till your toothepick is clean when inserted...When done turn off crockpot and let sit for 30-40 minutes...

The sauce will be at the bottem....Spoon a chunk of cake on a plate and spoon some sauce on top ...Very good...We serve it with Breyers vanilla ice cream.
#68 of 700 Old 02-13-2005, 06:43 PM

I've used my slow cooker much more since this thread appeared.
Everthing here sounds so good. I'm trying all of the ecipes out one by one. Thanks for sharing!
#69 of 700 Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 PM

I'm making the curry chicken tomorrow! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I want to try the Morrocan chicken next week. What are saffron threads?
#70 of 700 Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Banned

I'm printing this thread for the recipes. I only do two things that my family will eat.

Roast. I take can of french onion soup and cover my roast overnight and let it marinade. In the morning I cut up potatoes and carrots, put them in the bottom of the crock and then place roast and marinade on top ; cook on low all day. Yummy

Chicken tacos. I take several boneless , skinless chicken breast and place them in the crock. Usually 1-2 lbs. I mix taco mix with 1/2 cup water and pour over the chicken. It cooks on low 4-6 hours depending on how many breasts you use. The last hour I pull apart the meat so that the seasoning can be distributed through all the meat. Serve with whole wheat shells and fresh tomatoe, lettuce, cheese and whatever else you like on your tacos.
#71 of 700 Old 02-14-2005, 01:34 AM

:
#72 of 700 Old 02-14-2005, 02:21 AM

heehee!! I LOVE this thread!!!

Thank you Mylie, I hope you feel better soon. I'm a junk food junkie and that cake sounds awesome. My partner is coming home this week after a month away and I think I might make it to celebrate his return!

I had to have my library order "Fresh from the Veg. Slowcooker" and I got it today!!! I am so excited. If any of you reading this are Eugene Mamas you'd better not put in a request yet or I'll be very mad...I want my full 9 weeks!! LOL
The recipes in this book look awesome, especially the breakfast ones.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#73 of 700 Old 02-14-2005, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
Chicken tacos. I take several boneless , skinless chicken breast and place them in the crock. Usually 1-2 lbs. I mix taco mix with 1/2 cup water and pour over the chicken. It cooks on low 4-6 hours depending on how many breasts you use. The last hour I pull apart the meat so that the seasoning can be distributed through all the meat. Serve with whole wheat shells and fresh tomatoe, lettuce, cheese and whatever else you like on your tacos.

One of the boards that I frequent had a recipe circulate that everyone loved! It was basically the same as your recipe except that you put the taco seasoning on the chicken breasts then put a jar of salsa on top (16 oz) and then cook. Everyone raved about it!
#74 of 700 Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM

signing up

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#75 of 700 Old 05-31-2005, 01:44 PM

Yummmmmmmmmm choco pudding cake

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#76 of 700 Old 05-31-2005, 01:54 PM

ok so i followed a link and found a recipe for bread (whoch is great b/c our oven is broken) but it's for one of the round smaller crockpot's and we have an oval (6 qt i think). does anyone know if you can just double the recipe wouldn't that change the cooking time. Pluss the bread would be wider in the middle so the middle might not get done.

Thanks for any help

Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#77 of 700 Old 05-31-2005, 03:17 PM

I was just coming here to post the same question, JM

I have a 6 qt crockpot too, and most of the recipes in my cookbook are for a 4 qt. What about the recipes on this thread? Are they for a 4qt? Can I double them if they are? What if a cookbook doesn't specify the size of the crockpot?

So far, I have been doubling recipes for 4qt crockpots, but sometimes I have too much to put in the pot.
#78 of 700 Old 05-31-2005, 03:25 PM

SLOW COOKER PINTO BEAN AND PASTA SOUP

1 small onion, choppped
2 tsp minced garlic if you like garlic
4 cans vegetable stock
1 can Rotell, with liquid
1 can pinto beans, drained
4 oz macaroni, uncooked (I like whole wheat)
1 box frozen spinach - you can put it in still frozen
salt & pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese

Put everything in the slow cooker, except cheese. Cook on low 4-5 hours.
Serve with Parmesan & french bread.

I have a 6 qt slow cooker.

Single mom of 2 boys
#79 of 700 Old 07-23-2005, 03:32 PM

*bump*

...anyone have any good crockpot suggestions for summer?? If so, please share!
#80 of 700 Old 07-23-2005, 04:14 PM

:

I make carnitas or even shredded beef with pork or beef roast and then add some water and a splash of red wine then I add a container of freshly made salsa from my Natural Foods Co-Op and I don't ever need other seasoning. It is done when it falls apart with a fork. I use it then to make tacos or even with a lil shredded cheese in tortillas to make my own flautas.

I am thrilled to see this thread and cannot wait to try the curry recipes and the Moroccan chicken.
#81 of 700 Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 PM

AMB8301~ thanks for that shockingly simple red lentil soup recipe.

i received a slow cooker from my mil and did not use it. she then checked "fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker" from her library for me. everything looked amazing (and i want to own the book) but i still didn't use it.
i think i was feeling intimidated. i needed something simple to get started.

keep the recipes coming--especially veggie ones. beans and grains with little to no pre-cooking.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#82 of 700 Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM

kangamitroo - I did the same thing - checked "Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker" out of the library, and ended up buying it! My fave so far is "Almost Irish Stew". Soooo good. And easily adaptable to whatever veggies you have lying around!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#83 of 700 Old 10-05-2005, 06:18 PM

this is a simple split pea soup that I made today - it's delicious!!

Layer in this order:
1 lb split peas
2 c diced cooked ham if you aren't vegetarian
1 c diced carrots
1 med onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
5 c Boiling water

cook 4-5 hours on high heat.

If you like the consistency of the soup leave it like it is, otherwise add either 1 c hot milk or 1 c hot water (I used vegetable stock instead of water) after cooking!

mmmmm!
#84 of 700 Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 PM

Ooo, I'm glad this thread got resurrected! I have been thinking about doing some more crock-pot cooking, as the weather is predicted to turn colder soon (I hope! it's still in the 80s here, ugh), and the various and sundry complaints of pregnancy are taking their toll. Seems like the last few days all I've done all afternoon is make dinner, KWIM?

Anyway, am going to try scalloped potatoes and (turkey) ham in the crockpot tomorrow. I'm just going to wing it. Will let you know how it comes out!

~Nick
#85 of 700 Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM

what a great thread! I had been looking for new crockpot recipes for winter (I have really only used it for Chili & Bean soups so far)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a dairy free substitute for Cream of Mushroom soup? So many recipes call for it & I usually just use unsweeteened soymilk & some flour to thicken (with mixed results! )

Thanks!

Kate
#86 of 700 Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama
Does anyone have a suggestion for a dairy free substitute for Cream of Mushroom soup? So many recipes call for it & I usually just use unsweeteened soymilk & some flour to thicken (with mixed results! )
You can make a white sauce -- start with a roux (equal parts butter or oil and flour, stirred together in a saucepan) then add either chicken broth or veggie broth, or soymilk, or both. Depending on the final recipe, I add a splash of Worcestershire and a splash of hot sauce, too, and some garlic powder, salt and pepper. Let it boil for at least a minute, stirring, to thicken. That would be more reliably thick than just soymilk and flour. If you really want the mushrooms in there, you can saute them briefly and then add them.

HTH!
~Nick
#87 of 700 Old 10-07-2005, 03:04 PM

thanks!
#88 of 700 Old 10-07-2005, 03:37 PM

Whoops! Double post...
#89 of 700 Old 10-07-2005, 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=gus'smama]
I tried to do my fave spicy maple black beans (to serve over rice) in the crockpot, but it was a dud -- But, I think it would work okay if I sauteed the onions and spices first.
QUOTE]

i WOULD YOUR REGULAR RECIPE FOR THESE IF YOU DON'T MIND. thEY SOUND great!!!!!
#90 of 700 Old 10-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page