Mothering Forum banner

post your fave crockpot recipe!

109K views 699 replies 342 participants last post by  *MamaJen* 
#1 ·
Hi there --

I'm really wanting to use my crockpot more, as it makes my life sooo much better. However, I have difficulty finding good, healthy, whole-food type recipes, esp. ones that I consider "true" crockpot recipes. That is, the ones that you just throw all the ingred. in the crockpot in the am, and you have a delicious dinner 8 hours later. I use some recipes that require a bit of pre-cooking, but I *hate* when you basically cook the whole thing, and then just put it in the crockpot to keep warm til dinner time.

So!

whatcha cooking?

See less See more
#2 ·
yep, i'll go first

Ham and Barley Soup

1 large can of diced tomatos (28 oz, I think)
Ham stock, about the same amount as the tomatos
1 c. barley
1.5 cups diced ham
3 c. fresh spinach

Throw everything except the spinach in the crockpot in the morning. Add hte spinach somewhere between 3 hrs and 20 min before dinner.

Oh man, it was good! I think this would work equally well with any variety of substitutions (diff stock/meat, diff veggie, no meat and lots more veggies, diff grain...)

#5 ·
I use my slow cooker to make vegetable soup a couple times a week. I don't follow specific recipe though. Most often I start with a base of vegan bouillon cubes and add whatever we have on hand like potatoes, celery, carrots, cabbage, beans, etc…

My quick vegetarian chili:

1 large can of tomato juice
Half a package of legumes or 2 cans (kidney beans, lentils, etc…)
1 package Morningstar Farms Crumbles
Season to taste

#6 ·
I hear you on the whole-foods-impaired crockpot recipes. I checked out a cookbook from the library that called for a can of cream of mushroom soup and velveeta in almost every recipe.

But one good cookbook is Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow cooker by Robin Robertson. Is does suggest sauteing onions in olive oil first, and some of the ingredients are only added at the end, but so far the recipes have seemed really simple and wholesome to me. Last night I made a spicy sweet potato and white bean soup with collards. Except I substituted yams and kale. It was delicious. Check your library for a copy!

#7 ·
There is a great slowcooker recipe book I have called How to Make Love and Dinner at the Same Time. http://www.curledup.com/lovedinn.htm

I have so many favourites right now because I cook so many meals in the slow cooker. That book has a great minestrone soup recipe. I don't want to type it out unless someone actually wants it. Let me know if you do.

#8 ·
Here are a couple of my "tried and true" ---

Crockpot Chile Verde

3 lbs. pork tenderloin or sirloin, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 large orange or red bell peppers, cut into 1" squares
2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into 1" squares
1 4 oz. can diced mild green chilies
1 large can (28 oz) green enchilada sauce
1 12 oz. jar green salsa (tomatillo based)
1 teaspoon powdered cumin
1 teaspoon powdered coriander
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro

Put the onions, garlic, and peppers into crockpot. Add the pork cubes and remaining ingredients, stir well, cover and cook on Low about 8 hours. Serve over mixed whole grains. Makes 24 1-cup servings

Guinness-Braised Pot Roast

1 cup water
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup Guinness stout
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup tomato paste
1 tbsp dried dill
1 ½ cups beef broth
6 black peppercorns
2 whole cloves
1 (2-pound) chuck roast (trimmed of all visible fat)

Combine the first 11 ingredients in a slow cooker, stirring well. Place the roast over the mixture, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Slice on the diagonal for a presentable platter and discard liquid and vegetables. Serves 4-6.

#9 ·
Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
1 pound dry black beans
1 1/2 quarts water
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup dry lentils
1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup uncooked white rice

1. Soak beans in water overnight. Put beans in slowcooker with 1-1/2 quarts water, cover, cook on high for about 3 hours. Make sure beans are tender before going on to next step.
2. Add rest of ingredients except for rice, stir and cook for 2-3 hours. Seasonings can be adjusted to suit individual tastes.
3. Add rice and cook another 20 minutes or so until everything is tender. Process about half the soup in a food processor or blender and then add back with the soup.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gottaknit
I hear you on the whole-foods-impaired crockpot recipes. I checked out a cookbook from the library that called for a can of cream of mushroom soup and velveeta in almost every recipe.

I too found a whole foods impaired recipes for the crockpot. I too wanted to use it more and I don't do cream of whatever and velveeta. If fact DH might have a heart attack if I started cooking like that. We are a scratch kitchen.
I posted a request from my frugal mamas and I got some good stuff.
Here are some ideas:

Crock pot

Salsa Chicken
chicken breasts, half a taco seasoning packet or equivilent of homemade mix, 16 oz salsa cooked on low for 8 hours and then mixed with a cup of sour cream after chicken is removed.
Pour "gravy" over chicken breasts.

More chicken
chicken breasts with lime juice, brown sugar, a splash of white wine or juice and some water mixed together and poured over chicken and slow cooked 6-8 hours on low.

Sweet and Spicy KielbasaKielbasa (I do a lot of this at once and freeze it)
equal parts brown sugar and brown mustard.
Mix the sugar and mustard together and pour over sausage. Cook on medium about 6 hours

Soup
My favorite things to do with the crock pot is soup. I just dump in whatever we have around- leftover meat, fresh or frozen veggies, dry or canned beans, lentils, broth or boullion, spices, pasta, and extra water. It always tastes good, no matter what I put in.

Now this is my favorite- very good!

Ham & Lentil Soup
2 cups lentils
1/2 pound ham -- diced
1 onion -- chopped
1 bay leaf
2 ribs celery -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
salt and pepper -- to taste

Combine all ingredients with 2 quarts water in the crock pot. Cook on low, covered, 8 to 10 hours. Adjust seasonings and serve.

Mac n cheese

8 oz macaroni noodles, cooked in salted water.
1/2 c. butter
3 c sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 c whole milk (I used 2%, it came out fine)
2 eggs

Grease cp lightly w/spray on oil. Cook noodles in salted water, add to cp. Add butter and cheese, mix. Add milk, evaporated milk, and beaten eggs. Season w/salt and pepper. Cover and DO NOT LIFT LID!!!! (I know, it's very hard for us stirrers!) Cook for 3 hrs on low.
of

Potato soup
8 potatoes (peeled or not) chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 celery ribs chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped small
1 can chicken broth
2 T dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
sliced green onions, grated cheese, and chopped bacon for toppings
Put all ingredients down to and including the pepper into the crockpot. Add water to within 1" of the top of the crockpot (this recipe is for a 5 qt, so adjust accordingly). Cook on high for 8 hours. 1 hour before serving, put milk into a small conatiner with a lid, add flour and shake till well mixed. Add to the soup.

barbecue, beef, crockpot
2 1/2 lb beef round steak
2 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup catsup
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 small onion -- diced
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup celery

Cut beef into thin strips. Brown in skillet. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, mustard, onion, water, brown sugar and celery. Pour into crockpot. Add meat. Cook on medium heat for 3 or 4 hours. Serve over hamburger buns

These are not all veggie but all good ideas to get you started.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
What a great thread!

T
Does anyone have a slow cooker that does NOT have a nonstick coating?

What slow cooker do you own, and what size?

Keep the recommendations coming!
I've never even seen a crock pot with nonstick coating. I have and have only seen crock pots with the ceramic liner or ceramic coated metal liners. Just got a new Hamilton Beach 3-1/2 quart oval crock pot for Christmas and need to get it out and use it. This thread is great inspiration to get back in the slow cooker groove. Hubby threw out last one because the incert had sat in the fridge too long and got moldy.
:

#14 ·
Here are some that I make...Let me know if you want any recipes and I would be happy to post them...

Beef Stew
Vegetable Stew
Split Pea and Potatoe soup
Hamburger soup
Chicken Pot Pie
Baked Chicken and Potatoes
cheesy scalloped potatoes
Meatloaf
Tuna Noodle Casserolle
Meatballs and sauce
Teryiaki chicken wings
Brown Beans
Bean Soup
Baked Potatoes
Chicken stew
Roasts

Lots of desserts can be made in the crockpot also...

chocolate pudding cake
Pear Cobbler
jams

My son has lots of allergies...I make everything from scratch using natural ingredients....He is also a healthy teen who eats and inhales everything in sight...I try to limit our meat intake to twice a week but it is hard to fill him up...LOve Mylie xx

#16 ·
Yes, I would like to know:

Baked Chicken and Potatoes
Teryiaki chicken wings
Chicken stew
Roasts
chocolate pudding cake
Pear Cobbler
jams

I love scratch recipes so I am looking forward to these.

#20 ·
I love these ideas! I was really keen to start crock pot cooking and a friend lent me a recipe book............there was not one recipe in there that I would cook - every single one was just a list of processed foods. Ugh.

Mylie, I love your list - here's some I'd love to see recipes for:

Vegetable Stew
Tuna Noodle Casserolle
Teryiaki chicken wings
Brown Beans
Baked Potatoes
Roasts

Plus I"m intrigued by jams, and those desserts sound yummy........

chocolate pudding cake
Pear Cobbler
jams

#25 ·
wow! This is the hoppingest thread I've ever started! Well, I don't start many

thanks for all the great ideas!

I, too, would love your recipies mylie!

I tried to do my fave spicy maple black beans (to serve over rice) in the crockpot, but it was a dud -- But, I think it would work okay if I sauteed the onions and spices first.

Keep the ideas coming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.