Where are the freezer and OAMC chefs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Care to share your favorite recipe? Or what you like about this?

I think by far my favorite thing to stash in the freezer is artichoke or asparagus quiche. Or pie!

And I know there's a book out there that instructs you and transforming your favorite recipes to freezer-friendly form... but I have no clue which book it was. Anyone know?

While we're at it... how did you come to cooking like this? For us, it was pre-baby when I had a 1+ hour commute. We needed to eat at home and I wanted more time with my husband. So I'd spend a weekend cooking 4-6 weeks of dinners. We found it was INCREDIBLY HEALTHY because portion control was built in and if we were still hungry, we had to supplement with something we likely didn't eat enough of that day--fruit, yogurt. And the added cost savings was incredible. I could buy in bulk.

Now, I do less intensive version--I just double or triple my recipes and freeze the excess. Or if I hit a good sale on something I cook in bulk for that ingredient (usually chicken).

We have an upright freezer in the basement and a vacuum sealer--both my best friends!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2005, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heather, I replied to you about this in my gardening/preserving thread! I love freezer cooking! My mom did a lot of it when I was a kid, but I didn't really get into it until the past year. When I was 8 month pg, my mom and I spent an entire weekend filling my freezers w/ cooked meals, and it was a huge lifesaver after DD was born. Now, there are a few things out there, but not like before--twice-baked potatoes, lasagna, meatloaf, chili, sweet corn, breakfast burritos, salisbury steak, grilled chicken, sausage gravy, hot dog chili. We add to it as certain ingredients go on sale (yup, especially chicken). I like that we can eat homemade, more "from scratch" recipes, but w/ the ease of convenience foods. My biggest problem is remembering to take things out of the freezer to thaw! :

I think the book you're referring to is Frozen Assets, and I'm wanting to get a copy, too. I'm addicted to the Food Saver vacuum sealer infomercials! My biggest concern was the expense of rebuying the bags. Are they expensive? I'd love to use it on summer produce and for making homemade TV dinners.

I have so many favorite freezer recipes, I don't know where to start... Ok, here's our favorite, chicken alfredo:

5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 boxes mostacolli (we use Barilla-brand, b/c it stays firm)
3 jars alfredo sauce (we've always used Classico, but I'd like to find an organic brand or try making my own)

Grill chicken breast, cool slightly, and cut into short strips. Boil mostacolli for half the time listed on box and drain. Stir all 3 ingredients together in very big bowl. Divide among 7 gallon-size Ziploc freezer bags, and freeze. To eat, thaw a bag, spoon into individual bowls, and reheat in microwave as you would leftovers. If you like, you can add some sour cream and/or parmesan cheese. It's delicious and so easy!
#3 of 5 Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 PM

Bump! Surely we're not the only two!
#4 of 5 Old 01-27-2005, 10:00 PM

I don't, but I'd like to, so I'll be watching this thread...
#5 of 5 Old 01-27-2005, 10:38 PM

I do a lot of freezer cooking. I don't do OAMC, however. I just make huge batches of stuff when I do cook and freeze the extras. If I'm hanging around the house on a weekend day, I'll usually throw over a vat of something to cook and freeze. So, I'm really a freezer cooking opportunist.

As for favorite recipes, I belong to a yahoo group for freezer cooking and the general consensus seems to be to use the recipes that you already know your family will like.

I don't use recipes for most stuff like pot roasts, stews, chilis, soups, so I don't have too much specific to offer. But here are a few general ideas off the top of my head.

Italian pot roast
Brown roast (chuck or round) all over. Toss in sliced onions and garlic. Add a cup or two of dry red wine and a large can of diced (or pureed or plain old canned plum) tomato, and some oregano, hot pepper flakes, basil, etc. Simmer till tender. Cut into meal sized portions and freeze.

"Dump" chicken or pork
This isn't exactly freezer cooked and is named because you thaw, dump into a pan and stick in the oven. I'll buy lots of chicken pieces, boneless breasts or boneless loin pork chops when on sale. I'll put them in freezer bags in entree portions with a marinade, and freeze. To cook, let thaw overnight in fridge, then dump in baking dish and bake for half hour to an hour, depending on the size of the meat. Great with rice. Freezing them in marinade makes the meat way more flavorful than just putting the marinade on in the normal manner. My kids adore this kind of meal.

My favorite marinade is teriaki. I make my own by buzzing fresh ginger, garlic, soy sauce, white wine, sugar and rice vinegar in a blender. Much cheaper than buying it ready made. I'll also do a citrus marinade with orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, white wine, thyme and a bit of sugar.

BBQ beef or pork. We like it spicy and tangy. I do this on the stovetop--brown a roast, add about a cup of vinegar, some lemon juice, mustard, cayenne, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Simmer till very tender. Add a bit of sugar and some salt. Shred the meat with two forks. Add catsup till the whole thing has a bbq-like consistancy. Freeze in entree portions. You can do the same thing by cooking the roast in water and commercial BBQ sauce. Serve on crusty rolls.

Quiche in a bag. This is for a crustless quiche and is endlessly variable. http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2000/ma...ngmanual3.html

I got into it out of sheer necessity after the kids arrived. It was fine to not eat until 8 when it was just dh and I, but with kids that's a non-starter. I work out of the home full time, and have other commitments on Sundays. I needed a method for being able to get dinner on the table in half an hour. I like to cook and am a very good cook, and I didn't want to start using lots of prefabricated convenience foods because of the cost and the preservatives. I know I save a ton of money buying stuff on sale and cooking my own meals.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page