Bread Bakers Unite - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 02-25-2005, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info captain optimism! Another question:has anyone heard of and used hemp flour? My sister says it tastes great, it has a nutty flour. It's high in protein and she mixes it with whole wheat flour to bake with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 89 Old 02-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain optimism
Speaking of flour ...and make it into something?
it'll make great paper mache
#63 of 89 Old 02-25-2005, 05:19 PM

great thread! I can share our bread recipe, my partner actually taught it to me, its delicious and of course healthy. The basic recipe is a kilogram or 2.2 pounds of flour, we use whole wheat, about 50 gr yeast, in warm weather one can get away with less, water. I add about a level teaspoon of salt, he doesnt You can add a bit of sugar or honey or whatever , if you like. I also add about two cups of plain old fashioned oatmeal, not instant. Beyond that, whatever you like to add- flax seeds, bran, nuts, seeds, herbs, just one thing i have discovered, is that "less is more" and in my enthusiasm have created bread doughs that ended up being just .... TOO MUCH of a good thing, too many flavours together, so start out simple.
THe process is simple, we do it by hand, tho i have done it with the bread hook in the Kitchen Aid mixer till it died - yeast plus sugar if added, and some warm water - let that sit a bit. Then add flour, oatmeal, and warm water slowly, kneading and kneading till you get it to be soft, elastic, and comes away from the sides of the bowl. With whole wheat flour , I have found that its important not to let it get too heavy , that sometimes its better to let the dough remain a bit sticky, rather than add more and more flour, cos then later it can be used as a lethal weapon ( ie, HEAVY) - let it rise to double its bulk, covered, then punch down, let rise again. I use parchment or baking paper in the bread pans, i dont grease the pans or paper and i dont add any fat at all to the dough, and when the loafs are baked, they separate easily from the paper and i put them on a rack or just sit them on the pans in the opposite direction to cool. this amount makes four average loaves. I read that if you put a pan of water in the oven , underneath the rack on which the pans are sitting, it makes the outside of them crusty , tho i havent tried. I dont coat the loaves with anything. This recipe is vegan, no eggs, no milk, no fat too. Enjoy BTW i have tried doing it with rye flour but that is a whole nother story, it reacts differently and i havent mastered it yet, will ask my partner, he told me about it but i dont remember right now, will add that later.
#64 of 89 Old 02-25-2005, 06:34 PM

Captain Optimism, do you have a recipe for playdough? It uses a lot of flour and I always begrudge using my nice flour on it. You could share it with your friends.

And I have to demure at the "experienced bread baker" description. I'm not a bread maker at all - right now I'm using a bread machine to mix and knead and provide a warm place to rise. I take the dough out and shape and proof and bake in the oven. I'm very embarressed about my machine. I guess I feel that kneading it with your bare hands is the soul of breadmaking. But at least now we never buy bread, I know exactly what's in it, I have very few dishes or countertops to wash, and actually I'm learning a lot about bread - I've learned about humidity and warmth to help it rise, and I'm using much less yeast, a wetter dough, and longer rising times than I did when I tried making bread myself. Plus, making bread was one of those things that always stressed me out - my bread was always heavy and yeasty-tasting. (I never tried making white bread.)

I have a question - well, I have a lot of bread questions, but this is on the top of my mind just now - How do people finish their loaves? Sprinkle with flour, roll in oats, water wash, egg wash, oil wash, seeds, what? I want something to make my bread seem a bit more exciting, although usually I just make %100 whole wheat for sandwiches and toast.
#65 of 89 Old 02-25-2005, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Catarina, I would love a good playdough recipe! I think my ds would enjoy it a great deal. I don't think that you should disqualify yourself from being a bread baker just because you are using a bread machine. I think bread machines are cool, especially the part about not having to clean the countertop. The sourdough guy, Dr. Ed Wood, is very pro-bread-machine because you can control the temperature so well. Good for sourdoughs. (I still have not made one. )

I almost always put sesame seeds on any enriched dough bread, because I love them. When I make challah, I do an egg wash. For my new favorite whole wheat bread, I mist the top of the loaf with water and stick the sesame seeds on that way. for all the lean hearth breads I have been learning to make, you slash the crust and don't use a wash, but I do put cornmeal on the pan or baking stone to make the cornmeal bottom--I like it.

arty_mum, rye flour is lower in gluten than wheat flour. I googled this to verify that I knew what I was talking about, and found a page that says that rye flour only has one of the two proteins that wheat does--only glutenen and not gliadin. Gluten is the protein in flour that holds the bubbles of gas exhaled by the yeast when the bread rises. Gluten develops when you knead. It's why all-rye breads are very dense.

(You know what I found out that was interesting--the standard deli rye--the kind with the carraway seeds on it-- which is made with rye flour and clear flour, is usually raised with both a commercial yeast and a starter--so both commercial and wild yeast.)

One reason I wasn't too happy to have a big bag of all-purpose bleached white flour is that it's lower in gluten than bread flour. (that and that it's bleached, which takes more nutrients out of the wheat. phooey.)

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#66 of 89 Old 02-26-2005, 02:24 AM

Capt...ever thought of soaking your flour with kefir?? Are you familiar with the health benefits of kefir? Here's some info on how to do it (with quick breads)...but basically, you'd replace your water with kefir during the sponge step. Here's some of the basic tenets for maximizing the nutritional values of whole grains:

http://www.suegregg.com/about/intro1a.htm

Carry on!

Lisa
#67 of 89 Old 02-26-2005, 02:54 AM

oops i forgot to include, of course, that after i put the dough into the bread pans, i let it rise, covered with a clean towel , till it again rises, and then i bake
#68 of 89 Old 02-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Speaking of rye, me and my breadmaker just made really nice bread using one-third (by weight) each of rye flour, white bread flour, and whole wheat bread flour, and carroway seeds - I think most of what I think of as the rye flavour is really a carroway flavour.
#69 of 89 Old 02-26-2005, 07:45 AM

lol when i tried rye flour , i used ONLY rye... let me tell you... it came out like bricks... arghhhhhhh
#70 of 89 Old 02-26-2005, 10:01 AM

I've just started making bread, literally in the last few days. I've used Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess cookery book and tried the white bread, only I used what's called "Bio Halbweissmehl" which means organic half-white flour instead of pain white flour and I've been using fresh organic yeast (looks like a little brown block of playdough). It has turned out REALLY well. I now want to learn how to do whole wheat bread and rye breads. I was going to try a few more of her bread recipes as they are great for beginners and in METRIC. lol. I've not had a failure yet with any of her recipes.

I'd love to try some of your recipes, but I don't know how much fresh yeast to use... also you just add the fresh yeast to the four and water and don't faff about with water and feeding the yeast... it just does it's thing. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Olivia
#71 of 89 Old 02-27-2005, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
so i baked some bread last week w/ molasses. eh, not by best. think i'm going back to maple syrup for my sweetener.

so nobody is going to take up my bait on the salt-risen bread thing? i thought about making some, but think i'll order some for my mom instead. i read all about it on that link i gave earlier and it's bacteria-risen rather than yeast risen. interesting stuff. i remember i thought it was stinky when i was a kid.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#72 of 89 Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Ame

my favorite bread used to be bannana bread...now it's hemp banana bread

Hemp Banana Bread

Ingredients:

* 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) HEMPOLA Flour
* 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
* 1 cup (250 mL) unpacked brown sugar
* 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
* 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
* 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
* 3 egg whites
* 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
* 3/4 cup (175 mL) fat-free plain yogourt
* 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
* 2 cups (500 mL) mashed ripe bananas
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Spray 9" x 5" (23 x 23 cm) loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. In medium bowl, whisk egg whites, butter, yogourt and vanilla until smooth. Add mashed bananas and whisk again. Stir into dry ingredients, adding sesame seeds.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for an hour and twenty minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.

Remove from pan and cool.
#73 of 89 Old 02-27-2005, 08:36 PM

Hey Olivia!! (I replied about the sling, btw). I like Nigella Lawson as well...wish I looked like her too!! She has a recipe for Hasselbeck potatoes that is AWESOME. My kids call them caterpillar potatoes, cuz that's what they look like. I'm not real proficient in metric...but with bread-making, I've gotten to where I just eye-ball the measurements. Would you like some dried sourdough starter?? Its VERY simple....and makes awesome bread. Its from a man named Carl Griffith who's family made sourdough on the Oregon Trail in the 1800's. He's kept the starter going for years and years and shares it with anyone who requests. If you'd like...I'll throw some starter in with the sling package to your mum (along with some simple instructions).

Happy bread making!

Lisa
#74 of 89 Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 PM

You all are inspiring me! Once I stop being sick this winter (and feeling like death warmed over) I want to start making our bread again. It has been so long since I've made anything but a quick bread or muffin. I miss the wonderful aroma of baking bread ... . And since my ds is a bread addict, it certainly will save us some dough. (Bad pun, I know. :LOL)

Anyway ... here is a playdough recipe I've used (it was given to me so I have no idea where it came from). I've never added the oil but I understand that it makes the dough more pliable. Maybe try a batch with and without to see what you like better.

2+ cups white flour (NOT self-rising)
1/2 cup table salt (plain or iodized)
1 cup HOT tap water
1 tsp cooking oil (optional)

Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl. Slowly mix in water (and oil, if using) while stirring. When stirring gets difficult, use your hand to knead in the bowl. Get every last drop of flour off the sides of the bowl and then turn out on the counter (or wherever) to knead until smooth and no longer sticky (maybe 5 minutes??). You may need to add more flour (1/4 to 1/2 cup or maybe more) to achieve this consistency. You may divide into portions and color using food coloring (and/or you can add glitter for sparkles), or leave alone as one big pile of dough. The recipe halves well. Store in an airtight container (I use yogurt containers). If the dough gets sticky, watery, or separates, knead in more flour. If left out, it will dry and harden.
#75 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 12:40 AM

Doesn't bread baking arouse so many warm feelings and associations, even if you havent done it yourself? I love baking it but even just discussing it makes me feel good and how nice to have this place for that
#76 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 01:06 AM

Spyiispy---Your sourdough french bread sounds yummy!! Please post recipe!! Thanks.

I love french bread or italian bread loafs, but my bread making skills leave a lot to be desired. They are all really dense or don't taste good. Haven't been brave enough to try sourdough yet.

Anybody have a great sourdough recipe?
#77 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 AM

I know what ya mean, artisticat. I just recently found a couple techniques that have really improved my French bread. The one thing, being the proofing box (see my last post for that info) and the second, being making sure there is steam in the oven right before you place the loaves in. I also bake mine on a pizza stone...but you can also use a couple of stone tiles, I've read. If you want....I could send you some sourdough starter (its dried, then pulverized in a coffee grinder). Here's my recipe for sourdough French bread...

Take your starter out of your fridge, feed it with a 1/4 cup of flour and enough water to make it a thick batter consistency. Cover loosely with a towel and let "activate" in a warm place. (Sometimes takes an hour, maybe more). It'll look nice and frothy. Next, make your sponge, which consists of a cup of your active starter, 2 cups flour, 2 cups water. Again, cover and place on counter til it doubles and gets frothy & bubbly. Now...to make the bread....

Remove enough sponge so you have 1 1/2 cups (give or take a little) left in the bowl. (Place extra sponge back in sourdough crock, put back in fridge) To this...add 1 cup potato water (room temp or warmer, if possible), 1/2 cup milk, 4 Tbsp butter melted, 5 cups flour, two teaspoons salt, two Tbsp sugar (or honey, Rapadura, etc). Knead til nice & elastic........place back in bowl (which I smear butter in), cover and allow to rise til doubled or tripled. Now...here's a trick:

IF you want a stronger sourdough taste........allow to rise SEVERAL hours in a cool place. Slow rise equals more sourdough flavor.

IF you want a very very slight sourdough taste.....allow to rise in a warm place.

When bread has risen sufficiently........take it out of bowl, slice into thirds and shape into three logs (I taper them at the end). With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes in the loaves and dust with flour. Place onto pizza stone or tile and into proofing box. Allow to rise until doubled at least.

Heat oven to 375.....place a cookie sheet under baking rack (usually I put it on the bottom rack). Right before putting the loaves in...I pour a cup of water onto the heated cookie sheet.......Stick the loaves in QUICK and shut the door! Allow to bake for 10 minutes, then lower temp to 350. Bake til golden brown. You may want to mist the loaves with water to get a nice crusty crust.

Now I know its hard to resist hot bread.......but sourdough tastes better if it rests for a day first

Lisa
#78 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Thanks.

Can't wait to try it. I would love some starter, unless it is pretty easy to do yourself. How do you make it yourself? Are you using white flour? Would wheat flour make it too heavy? What exactly is your crock you use for storing it in the fridge?

Sorry about all the questions!!
#79 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Don't be sorry bout asking questions....I've derived so much information from mamas on here; I'm just happy to share some knowledge I might possess I got my crock from the thrift store. They always have them there. Its a little clay "jar" with a clay lid and metal spring latch. Make sense?? Chances are....if you visit your thrift shop, you'll come home with one. If you don't have one...you can just as easily use a glass jar.

I do use a mixture of unbleached white flour, hand-milled red winter wheat flour and a little bit of rye (just for good measure....sourdough seems to like rye flour). The potato water helps to make it lighter. The recipe is very forgiving, though.....just dive right in. I'd be happy to send you some of my starter...which I got from the Friends of Carl Griffith (since Carl has died awhile back...his friends are carrying on his sourdough legacy and sending starter to anyone who requests). Or...you can send them a self-addressed stamped envelope and they'll be happy to send you some of the original starter as well....here's the details:

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

I have a 2 year old who's about an hour past her naptime.....gotta run...

Lisa
#80 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Maybe you mamas can help me figure out how to have fresh from the oven bread for this dinner gig I'm throwing on Sunday. Timing is my problem. Here's what's going on.

At about 2:15pm, we're all leaving to go to a concert (my dh is in a community choir). The concert is going to last about 2+ hours, so with travel time to/from, I'll probably arrive home around 5:15 or so. I'm setting the oven to go on automatically to start baking dinner (lasagna) while I'm gone, and to finish between 5:15 and 5:30 (when I get home I'll put it in my warming drawer for holding). I'd like to have fresh from the oven bread with dinner so do you think I should make my bread to the formed loaf stage and then do the final rise in the fridge while I'm gone (will that be too much/too little rising??) and put the bread in the oven as soon as the lasagna comes out, so we can eat around 6pm, or is this merely a pipe dream on my part? Can I do this?

Thanks! Oh, I'm probably making a simple Italian loaf (not baguettes).
#81 of 89 Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Don't try to time the bread to come out fresh from the oven right before you eat it. First of all, it's too difficult and it'll stress you out. Secondly, most bread finishes baking while it cools, so if it's right out of the oven it could be doughy in the middle. Bake the bread in advance and put it in the warm oven or the warming drawer about twenty minutes before dinner. As long as the drawer isn't too warm the bread should just warm and not toast.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#82 of 89 Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 AM

Thanks cap o. I always forget about the doughiness. I'll do the bread that morning.
#83 of 89 Old 03-01-2005, 01:01 PM

Has anyone tried (successfully! :LOL ) any gluten-free, whole grain bread? We eat soooo much whole wheat that I'm thinking I should vary our diet a little more!
#84 of 89 Old 03-01-2005, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I love baking bread. When I had 3 kids under the age of 4 I somehow found time to mix, knead and bake every week but now that they are older I am so grateful for my breadmaker. I use it just for kneading because I like shaping and baking it my own way. My 8 y.o. uses the breadmaker and that is nice. He likes to knead and play with the dough for awhile before shaping and baking it. When he was little he loved doing it the traditional way, but at least this is betetr than nothing. I like the machine because it is far easier to get 100% whole wheat dough thoroughly mixed that way than it is by hand.

I love trying different recipes but my kids love plain whole wheat bread so that is what I usually make. Someday we will branch out again!
#85 of 89 Old 03-20-2005, 03:55 PM

You've all got me tempted to bake bread. I used to bake with my Nan but we had all day to do not a lot, with all that's going on here most days I will have to plan it carefully. I don't have an exciting bread recipe to share but I do have a cooked play dough with a great elastic texture which lasts for ages without going yicky.

In a saucepan -

2 cups of the cheapest flour you can find sieved
1 cup of salt
2 tbsp oil
4tsp cream of tartar
2 cups of water.
a splurge of food colouring

You can add glitter to this mix too and it won't shed too much when you play.

Heat over a low heat stirring all the time until it starts to gather into a ball. Push it all together til the pan is dry.
Pop it out onto a work top and knead it a bit, its lovely and warm; really therapeutic especially if you have achy joints in your hands.

Play away! Store in a plastic bag or pot, no need for keeping it in the fridge.
#86 of 89 Old 04-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Can I freeze yeast bread dough?
#87 of 89 Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 AM

I have never tried it myself but i found this thru googling:
Unbaked yeast dough can be frozen. It is best to freeze it before the final rising period. Let it rise the first time, punch it down and shape into the desired shape and then freeze. Thaw it at room temperature for 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator

let me know how it works

http://www.foodreference.com/html/tyeastdough.html
#88 of 89 Old 04-03-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and am so thrilled. I didn't have time to read ALL the previous pages though.

I started out about 8 years ago using a breadmaker which was fantastic. I went through a couple of breadmakers and got sick of needing one. I also wanted the pleasure of kneading and truly baking my own bread, so I haven't replaced the last breadmaker.

I have found many recipes, but the vast majority are for 2 loaves at a time. Since my son won't eat homemade bread (go figure) I don't want a huge amount of bread. I eat it all myself and I don't like the taste and texture of bread that has been previously frozen. So I've been having trouble.

I know that one can adapt the breadmaker recipes, but I don't know exactly how. When I use a breadmaker recipe (I know, you're not supposed to) the bread doesn't cook all the way through and it is heavy.

I have been using Sucanat with my yeast and water, and it has worked just fine. I also usually mix white flour with whole wheat.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Thanks so much.
#89 of 89 Old 04-03-2005, 08:11 PM

This thread got me up off my duff and into the kitchen. I haven't baked bread in forever, and bread makes my heart sing.

So thank you all for the fact that my house now smells wonderful and my stomach is happy.

Maybe I'll designate Sundays as bread day. (Toddler keeps me way too busy on the weekdays)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page