chick pea flour - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2005, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any good recipes (veg*n please) using chick pea flour? I have some that I bought for a recipe that sounded so good, but wasn't (hate when that happens). TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM

I've seen a few recipies that take culiflower, sage leaves or other veggies, dredge them in chickpea flour, fry them up in oil and serve with a sauce to dip.. The dredging probably involved egg, but if you've breaded anything vegan style, I'm sure you can do something like this. The sauce could be a spicy, indian-style yogurt thing.

Crepes also work with chickpea flour. Again, you'd need an egg sub.

Julie
Old 01-31-2005, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
This website:

http://www.pakupaku.info/

has several recipes that call for chickpea flour, for example this one for pakoras:

http://www.pakupaku.info/indian/pakoras.shtml

There are a lot of Indian dishes that call for chickpea flour. This site has a lot of recipes for those, too:

http://www.somacon.com/cookbook/

Here's a recipe for socca, a Provençal chickpea flour crepe, from the ever-reliable Sundays at Moosewood cookbook:

http://www.recipesource.com/baked-go...1/rec1183.html

Please note that this authentic recipe does not call for eggs. I think I have made this one but can't remember!

there is a recipe for chickpea flour bread in the Millenium restaurant cookbook that is also vegan, but I haven't tried it.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh darn, I should have mentioned that there are 3 excellent Indian restaurants within walking distance of our house, so I'm far too spoiled to attempt to cook Indian at home! But those crepes sound delicious so I'll try them. Thanks, and if you think of any other recipes, please share!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:22 AM

google for pakora or besan( hindi for chick pea flour) you'll find many tasty recipes!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Well I know I've made the socca a long time ago and I have also made some of the curries where you make dumplings out of chickpea flour. I don't really know what you were planning to do with the chickpea flour if you have ruled out using it for Indian cooking. I found this recipe that uses chickpea flour as an egg substitute in a Spanish omelette:

http://vegweb.com/recipes/breakfast/2951.shtml

I have also found mention on the web, but no recipe, for a traditional Middle Eastern dessert called ghraybe (?) using chickpea flour. Some falafel recipes call for whole chickpeas and some for chickpea flour, but I can't give BTDT advice on any of those recipes.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I guess maybe I shouldn't rule out using it for an Indian dish. I just thought there might be some other uses. I actually bought the cp flour for a falafel recipe, but no one liked it. We do like falafel, just not that particular version. Oh well, I'll figure something out, and I will be trying those crepes! I never thought of spreading them w/ hummus and rolling up--yum!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

p.s. I hope I didn't sound snotty when I said I was spoiled by the Indian restaurants so close to us. I just meant that I've tried cooking Indian at home, and most of the recipes were a lot of work and nowhere near as tasty as what I can get at the local take-aways. Believe me, I am so *not* wined and dined!

User Tag List