NT mamas February thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 243 Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah, Amanda!! I noticed you hinting about that in another thread yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to respond and then forgot--so I'm glad to see you talking about it! We'll all be on pins and needles waiting for you to test. :LOL I'm glad you would be excited if you did get a little suprise.

To the previous poster about soaking grains..you seem to have the right idea!
#62 of 243 Old 02-08-2005, 06:35 PM

thanks gals.

It does seem very, very unlikely. I mean, I know how to avoid. But who knows what the NT diet does to you. Perhaps since I discovered yesterday that I was late, I am now making up some symptoms subconsciously. That's definitely a possibility.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#63 of 243 Old 02-08-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
When I make my blender waffles, I soak the grains separately overnight, whole, unblended, then dump them into the blender. They seem to blend much more easily, and make GREAT waffles! I don't know if doing it that way is not good, but they sure are tasty!
This is what we do too, it seems too hard to blend the unsoaked grains and get a smooth result. Our pancakes have turned out great this way!

Gale Force, crossing fingers! How exciting!
#64 of 243 Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 PM

This thread moves so fast I have a hard time keeping up. So I'll just jump in with this question in the hopes that it hasn't been asked before, but has anyone tried making the unyeasted yogurt-herb bread? It looks like it would be good but possibly heavy.

On another note, my mom went to see a nutritionist who it turns out is very much pro-NT. We're now sharing notes and recipes
#65 of 243 Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM

hey gals: I found a test after all. It was negative. I don't expect it's a false negative. I expect that I am late (which is odd) and maybe have a touch of the flu.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#66 of 243 Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 AM

Well, you've got to be goint crazy about now wondering what is going on! You should start up now anytime--you know how a negative test usually brings on af.

Is anyone else looking forward to having a really healthy "NT" pregnancy and baby? I think it will be kind of fun to compare a little to my other pregnancies and births and stuff and see how big of a difference there is. Oh with nursing and stuff too. I hope I'll be able to get better at feeding myself nourishing foods and lots of nutrients before that happens again though. I still have so much to work on!!
#67 of 243 Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 AM
cjr

Quote:
When you soak flours, are you literally soaking the flour in a bowl, in liquid? In what liquid are you soaking the flour, and for how long? How does this affect the flour in the recipe? Do you just adjust the amount of liquid already called for?
I soak rice and other grains in water and whey. I soak muffins in the amount of kefir called for in the recipe. I soak oatmeal in water and yoghurt and add more liquid when I cook it up. From what I gather you are fermenting the grains before cooking them.

I think we had the picture perfect NT dinner tonight. It was great. We started with a leafy salad with the lemon and raw honey dressing, then we had bison all day stew with buttermilk biscuits. What an odd little biscuit they were. I soaked and did everything else and found it odd that you cook them for so long. I don't think I will cook them that long next time. Maybe they were too small for the length of cooking time. I got 18 biscuits instead of 12. They were really crispy on the outside and very soft in the very center. They must have been good because they were gobbled up. They made good broth soppers.

Tomorrow we are having sweetpotato pancakes (which are soaking now), quinoa cooked in chicken stock (which is soaking now), broccoli and baked chicken. I may even make desert.
#68 of 243 Old 02-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Your meal sounds yummy Cjr!!

I am making a veggie lazanga for this weekend...my Aunt passed suddenly and we are leaving for the memorial on Friday....I want to use yogurt cheese instead of cottage or ricotta for part of the filling...what do you all think?
#69 of 243 Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
cjr

I think as long as you mix an egg with it to bind it then it should work great. Sorry about your aunt.
#70 of 243 Old 02-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Makes 12 muffins.

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or mixture of wheat, kamut, spelt)
1 2/3 cups kefir
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sucanat
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup carob powder

Soak flour in kefir 12-24 hours in warm place. (Note: when covering the bowl, dampen tea towel with filtered water and place directly ON the dough. This prevents the top from getting all crusty by keeping the dough moist.)
Cream butter with sucanat. Blend in eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda and carob. Mix with soaked flour. Pour into greased muffin tin. Bake 30 mins at 350F.

I've been using my food processor to mix this up because I don't have a mixmaster, and my handheld mixer just doesn't mix it well enough. It needs to be a very very even mixture in order to turn out well (otherwise you get very sour bits of soaked dough and it just doesn't taste that great). Also, I still don't have a nice muffin tin, so the baking temp/time is based on a non-stick muffin tin. Be sure not to overbake - in fact, they're best if they're almost underbaked. Just to the point where they maybe sink a tiny bit in the centre.

Also works with cocoa instead of carob. I just made them with cocoa and they turned out great!
#71 of 243 Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 PM
cjr

OK, dh wants me to get him some glucosomine. I don't want to. I asked him to just wait until he has been eating NT meals with bone broths for a few weeks first. I hate buying the stuff because he never takes it consistantly and I think it's just a waste of money. I also want him to see the naturopathic doctor first. I think he would benefit from acupuncture, he has mild arthritus in his wrists and ankles.

Oh, and he had a swig of my kefir/coconut oil/peach smoothie this morning. This is the man that stood his groud and said "no way am I drinking something that sits on the counter for two days". He liked it. I may even get him to have a full one tomorrow. The girls loved the addition of the coconut oil. It really has a lovely coconut flavor, makes it taste like the bahama's.
#72 of 243 Old 02-10-2005, 03:11 PM

Hey gals. Just a cycle update since I’ve bothered you all before with it. I saw my chiropractor yesterday and told him about a big fall I took the Sunday before last and said, among other things, “could this have affected my cycle?” He ended up adjusting me in quite a number of places. He said that it’s possible to have a uterine hernia, didn’t say I had such a thing, but said that a fall could affect you just about everywhere. My cycle is still late, which is odd because I am typically regular even in an anovulatory cycle.

By the way, on the fall – I fell forward down a flight of cross-tie stairs outside. It was icy, my push-off foot is the one that slid out from under me, my shin hit the edge of a cross tie, my hands reached out to break my fall, they hit another icy cross tie and slid out from under me, my chin then hit hard. I laid there waiting for the pool of blood to form in my mouth, taking an inventory of limbs and teeth. All was present, I got up, I got the starter wood I was after, and counted my blessings. Literally, I could have been killed with the fall. I could have also been injured so badly that I would not be able to move, in which case I probably would have laid there for hours in the 30 degree weather.

Anyhoo, waiting for AF. Tap tap tap

#73 of 243 Old 02-10-2005, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Amanda, how strange! Hope you're better soon.

Well, I've not been eating much in the NT way, and I have lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks from stress and lack of nourishment. (BTW, not looking to lose any weight, that five lbs was hard earned!). So the diet is incredibly important to me. I have to get ds' allergies treated!

Update on ds with impetigo: very slow recovery, but seems to be responding finally to the antibiotics. Doc prescribed baby vits, what do you think? His immunity is quite low.
#74 of 243 Old 02-10-2005, 03:49 PM

Oh, Amanda what a scary fall!!! Glad you're OK.
I'm also waiting for AF. I've only had one PPAF though, so I don't know if I'm really late, or if that was just a flukey anovulatory cycle or if my cycle is now longer than it was before (I was on a 29-day cycle before getting pg with dd). It's been 30 days now. I tested 2 days ago and got a BFN Oh well. Our goal is to let the universe decide - and dd is only 13 months, so I guess I'm not in a huge rush. But still . . . I really don't want a December thru February baby, so I have to decide whether we want to actively prevent it for three months *sigh*
mountain mom, sorry about your aunt
#75 of 243 Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 PM

Amanda, that fall story makes me wince. It must have really shooken you up.

Good luck with all the family planning, everybody.

And many thanks for the chocolate muffin recipe - my son really loves chocolate cake-like things.
#76 of 243 Old 02-10-2005, 05:13 PM

I posted this in the TP too.

Anyone have an extra copy of NT they would like to sell? I would like to buy one.

PM me with any info.

thanks

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#77 of 243 Old 02-10-2005, 11:58 PM
cjr

Has anyone been fermenting? I have a question. I made the fermented sweet potato and they are very salty. Do all fermented things taste salty? Do I need to let it sit for awhile to loose the saltiness? I made the ginger/carrots, but have not tasted them. I made the "punch" tonight, but it has sucanat in it so I imagine it won't be salty.
#78 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sally's recipes are notorious for being too salty.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#79 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 10:03 AM

cjr, I've fermented several things that game out just fine -- not too salty. Maybe it's the recipe (I haven't tried the sweet potatoes). Maybe you notice salt more easily than some people. I know that some days my mom can load salt onto stuff and never notice the difference -- it's like her salt tastebuds are on holiday or something -- so I imagine some people might be quite the opposite (I am very sensitive to rancid tastes myself). Also, are you using the Celtic sea salt, the stuff that's sort of grey or pink? I wonder if it could make a difference what salt you use.

I just made a batch of the carrots. They should be ready tonight. I tried them a couple of years ago and it didn't work. I also made a batch of the gingerale. I'll be interested to see how that came out (small rant -- the recipe says to use a 2qt. jar...how can you fit 2 qts. filtered water, quarter cup whey and half cup lime juice, plus the chopped up ginger, in a 2 qt. jar? yoohoo, the math doesn't work!).

Right now I have some sauerkraut I made a few months ago in the fridge. Also, some of the fruit chutney, which is so spicey I can barely eat it (I'm thinking about pitching it). Other successes have been the apricot spread, the corn relish (gave a jar to my folks for Christmas), the salsa, beet kvass. Duds have been my previous carrot attempt (the carrots blanched white, which was too weird for me, plus I didn't like the taste), pineapple vinegar, and sometimes the beet kvass. The beet kvass tastes too salty if it doesn't react properly -- last week I had some dud beets, and it just tasted like saltwater and whey, and was an ugly brown color.
#80 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Just checking in; I haven't posted in February yet. I can't seem to keep up! I haven't been eating very NT-ish lately, but I am giving up sweets for Lent so that's a step. I hope to make some yogurt this weekend and get back in the rhythm of making Irish oatmeal.

Amanda, what a terrible fall! Sounded awful.

Re: the chocolate muffins (which sound so yummy!). I am assuming it's okay to soak them in something other than kefir? Like water mixed w/ buttermilk or yogurt? I haven't gotten to the kefir-making stage yet....
#81 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 PM
cjr

Queen Gwen-I didn't use natural sea salt, just the plain boxed sea salt that is most likely processed. I bought some natural stuff today, but not the Celtic because it's way too expensive for me. This stuff looks pretty good. I think I will let it sit for a week or so and see what happens. The colors are nice and vibrant and they look good, but they are salty. I thought that the fermenting process eliminated the salt taste. I will try the recipies you had success with and see how that goes. I'm looking forward to trying the "punch".
#82 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 02:07 PM

I have used a few varieties of celtic sea salt for fermentation, each yields a different flavour. I would be leary of using refined sea salt because the crucial trace minerals are lost in the refining process. These minerals are needed for the fermentation process. I think that it will still work with the refined sea salt but may not yield as nutrient and mineral rich as the unrefined.

I also find that once crushed the unrefined sea salt goes along way. We buy a one pound bag for about $10 and it lasts us about 3-4 months. I find it very concentrated.

Thanks for all the warm wishes about the loss of my Aunt. We are leaving this morning for the memorial. She was so young only 56. She died of a brain anerism very suddenly so I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that she is gone. I find talking and writing about it helps. It will be good to be home with family and see my Uncle and Cousin. Family is so important in times like this!

So everyone have a great weekend. I made a whole schwak of fermented goodies to take on the journey. My family is up for anything as long as its food! The grape kefir went over really well at Yule so I am bring white grape this time and tzakiki with buttermilk corainder cripsy pancakes, lazanga with homemade noodles from soaked spelt. I even made the ricotta, using a recipe from wild fermentation!

IF anything the food will nourish our hearts! A little wine won't hurt either!
#83 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 02:46 PM

We recieved a freezer bag of wild deer bones for soup making yesterday.

How would you all reccomend making stock/broth the nt way?

Thanks!
#84 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthchick
Re: the chocolate muffins (which sound so yummy!). I am assuming it's okay to soak them in something other than kefir? Like water mixed w/ buttermilk or yogurt? I haven't gotten to the kefir-making stage yet....
You could definitely give it a try! I notice a definite difference since I started using kefir in my recipes, just because it rises so well (it has a small amt of yeast as some of the culture). So they may not turn out quite the same, but I'm sure they'll be yummy anyway.
#85 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea
How would you all reccomend making stock/broth the nt way?
I don't know that there really is an NT way to make stock, per se. But what I would probably do is follow a recipe (or proportions) for making beef stock - I think I'd brown the bones first (400F for 1 hour), just to get a good flavour. Maybe a lot of thyme to sort of offset the wild flavour? Nutmeg seems to be a common addition in the deer stock recipes I've found online. Another thing you could do is use 1/2 deer bones, 1/2 beef bones to make a less wild-tasting stock.
HTH - and I'm very very curious to hear how it turns out!
#86 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 05:46 PM

MM -- I am sorry to hear about your aunt. This and other news has me thinking a lot lately about family. The goodies you have prepared sound super and very thoughtful. I am impressed that you could pull that all together.

#87 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Well no one seems to have tried the yogurt-herb bread...hmm, doesn't give me alot of confidence about trying it since it seems like it would be a pretty easy recipe. I was reading about what 'superfoods/supplements' the book recommends and one of them is clay. Has anyone on this thread ever taken this? If so, results?

Mountain mom blessings on your family travels.
#88 of 243 Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by *solsticemama*
Well no one seems to have tried the yogurt-herb bread....
I made it once a while back, the flavor was good but it was very moist - too wet for using as a sandwich bread, toast or anything like that, the texture was more like a very dense, gooey banana bread (different flavor, of course). Lately I've been focusing on standard yeasted bread recipes using sprouted flour, so haven't revisited the yogurt herb bread yet. It was tasty, I'll probably make it again.

There is no secret ingredient.
#89 of 243 Old 02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
cjr

Quote:
I notice a definite difference since I started using kefir in my recipes, just because it rises so well
I noticed this too. The kefir really tenderizes the flour and so far everything that I have used it for has been successful. I'm trying the yeasted bread for tomorrow. I need a lighter dough for dinner rolls.

I made bison stock yesturday and instead of throwing away the fat that collected on the top, I saved it. We had bison/black bean burritos's on sprouted tortilla's and I added some of the fat to the ground bison (not a lot, like a tbsp.) and it really made a big difference. Bison is so lean and can almost be too dry. It gave it a wonderful flavor and added some much need moisture. Just a little tip for anyone who prefers bison over beef.

I think I'm going to make apple cider (the alcoholic kind). I got Wild Fermentation from the library today and it seems so easy to make. I love apple cider in the summer and it would be so great to have my own. Anyone ever make it. I can get a big jug of organic apple cider juice at the healthfood store for a really good price. It's pasturized, but it has no additives in it. Do you think it would work? It would be so easy because it comes in a huge just that would be perfect for brewing the fermented cider.
#90 of 243 Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
I got Wild Fermentation from the library today
Me too! Just picked it up- it looks like the kind of book I'd like to own.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page