so why is canola oil bad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always read how bad it is....but why?

I only use it for deep frying and always thought that it's at least healthier than some hydrogenated frying fat or vegetable oil...and honestly,olive oil is too expensive to use for deep frying.

Enlighten me,please!
#2 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 PM

Well, for me personally, I refuse to buy canola because it is genetically modified, most farmers buy round-up resistant canola which is a patent of Monsanto. There are some political issues with Monsanto, but i am sure you don't want to hear all of those reasons. They are an evil, evil corporation.

Here is my big reason: with round-up resistant canola, farmers just fly over with crop dusting planes, dump massive amounts of round-up on the canola and that kills all the weeds. Yuck. They will do this several times over the season.
#3 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 06:29 PM

#4 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 06:33 PM

here is what my book has to say (nourishing traditions):
"the newest oil on the market, canola oil was developed from rape seed ... which is considered unsuited to human consumption because it contains a long-chain fatty acid called erucic acid, which under some circumstances is associated with fibrotic heart lesions. Canola oil was bred to contain little if any erucic acid and has drawn the attention of nutritionists because of its high oleicacid content. but there are some indications that canola oil presents dangers of its own. it has a high sulphur content and goes rancid easily ... during the deodorizing process, the omega 3 fatty acids of processed canola oil are transformed into trans fatty acids..."

i also though bleach was used in the process to but i could be wrong about that.
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#5 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 06:41 PM

#6 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircantu1
So what's a better choice? A bottle of canola oil lasts me forever, I don't use much oil. Mainly just for baking...

I buy olive oil for stovetop cooking, I don't fry anything....

I use fruit purees in baking a lot but what should I use when I need oil? I use a TBSP or so when I make pancakes.
How about very light olive oil? We use it for things where the taste of "extra virgin cold pressed" would be too strong.

ETA if you decide to stop cooking with the canola oil, you could use the remainder to make playdough or shine furniture.
#7 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 06:55 PM

I like sunflower oil. It has a much higher smoking point than most oils and has no trans-fats (apparently... I am really behind on my oil know-how). At any rate, DH does more frying than I care to admit, and he says it makes a better frying oil, and is only slightly more expensive than canola.
Canola has been engineered from rape seed, and it is mandated that it contains no more than x amount of eureic acid, the percentage I can't recall off the top of my head. At any rate, it is widely used becauyse it's cheap. Rape seed was a noxious weed. Bugs don't eat canola.
#8 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM

So, are there disadvantages to sunflower oil?

I don't like the aftertaste of olive oil (we use it for some things, but don't like it in baking for example) so generally use canola (organic, btw, if that makes a difference which I doubt it does )

#9 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM

another reason not to use canola...

there is a factory in canada that produces canola (which is where the name came from, not from corn, which is what most people think) where a lot of workers have come down with major health problems all linked to continuous exposure in the factory.
#10 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 07:07 PM

If you're not vegan, you can use ghee http://www.indiaoz.com.au/health/ayu...ood_ghee.shtml It's much cheaper if you make it yourself and not very difficult to make (Heat butter on low and let simmer uncovered until there is sediment on the bottom - about an hour - then skim the foam off the top and strain through a cheesecloth.)
If you are vegan, coconut oil is a good one.
Strangely enough, both oils are solid at room temperature and many health gurus say to stay away from fats that are solid at room temperature. I think they forgot about ghee and coconut oil.
#11 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 07:11 PM

BTW, Canola oil is made from rape seed which was also used to make mustard gas in WWII.
I do think that there are a few brands of organic canola oil which are properly processed in such a way to not be toxic, but I don't think it's good for you like so many like to tout. I mean, my shirt doesn't have cholesterol either. Also, the "good" canola oil is pretty expensive.
I have ghee, sunflower, safflower, sesame, coconut and olive oil in my oil collection.
#12 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM

Mustard gas and canola have nothing to do with each other. Canola is part of the mustard family (as are cabbage, turnips, radishes, etc)
Mustard gas was called that because it smelled like mustard.

There is a lot of wild rumors that go along with canola, and most of them are a load of bull. It doesn't cause scrapie, it won't cause respiratory distress (unless, you know, you're allergic to it or something) it does not cause an increase in lung cancer compared to other oils, unless you're the poor sucker spraying the round-up.

Ok, on with the down side of sunflower oils, and other stuff. First, i recommend everyone read "Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill" by Udo Erasamus.
Basic run down, non technical: sunflower and safflower oils can help lower "bad" cholesterol, but may also supress "good" cholesterol. They can also go rancid faster than canola and olive oils. The new high-oleic acid sunflower oils have a similar shelf life to canola and olive, but I can't find any reliable information saying if it is more or less dangerous.

The bottom line in all of this is that oils should be used in moderation and should not be heated to a high level.
#13 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 07:39 PM

one of the best books i read about fats was by udo erasmus, you might like to take a look at it. my nourishing traditions book (and i don't think this is the be all end all either, but it's the best info i have for now) says to restrict safflower, corn, sunflower, soybean and cottonseed oils because of their high omega 6 content. she says they should never be eaten after being cooked, fried or baked. she says that cold-pressed version of these are better for you though.

here are the fats she recommends - extra virgin olive oil, small amounts of flax seed oil, coconut oil for baking and animal fats for occasional frying. and she says butter is great for you. yummy

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#14 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 08:51 PM

I buy organic canola oil at Whole Foods and it's not that expensive.

I do like to use Sunflower oil sometimes too, it is a light and pretty flavorless oil that's good for baking. My ayurvedic cookbook recommends it. I find olive oil way too savory tasting to use for pancakes and such.
#15 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also buy "non hydrogenated shortening" which is actually palm oil. It's extremely mild tasting (ok, it has no flavor )

I think the "don't eat oils that are solids at room temp" is old news. It's the artificially saturated oils that are dangerous, not natural oils like butter or coconut oil. In general, the fats that are solids at room temp are better for baking/frying because they're not going to change as much when they're heated. I personally like butter in pancakes. For vegan pancakes, I'd probably choose coconut.

If you're only using tiny amounts of oil, it probably makes little difference what kind you use. If I were you I'd probably use up the canola oil already in the house and then replace it with coconut or palm oil.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Grapeseed oil is really nice too ( it's not exactly cheap either though).
#17 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
If you're not vegan, you can use ghee http://www.indiaoz.com.au/health/ayu...ood_ghee.shtml It's much cheaper if you make it yourself and not very difficult to make (Heat butter on low and let simmer uncovered until there is sediment on the bottom - about an hour - then skim the foam off the top and strain through a cheesecloth.)
Strangely enough, both oils are solid at room temperature and many health gurus say to stay away from fats that are solid at room temperature. I think they forgot about ghee and coconut oil.

You can also buy ghee at most asian import stores. It's not that expensive. :-) Making it at home is kinda fun though.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#18 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb123
Yeah. We buy the vegenaise made with grapeseed oil rather than canola oil. It's the purple jar, not the blue one.
#19 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
You can also buy ghee at most asian import stores. It's not that expensive. :-) Making it at home is kinda fun though.
I do that when I'm lazy The only problem is that it's not usually organic and often it's made from buffalo milk so the taste is different.
#20 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 05:34 PM

I agree that grapeseed is good. If I'm remembering this correctly, it's also supposed to have the highest smoking point.
#21 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM

i have a question. If canola oil is GE, then how can it be natural? If it is not natural why is it in the salad dressing I bought for DH that contains all natural ingridents?

I just received an order of coconut oil yesterday. I bought book with it called "Virgin Coconut Oil." It has a lot of interesting information in it that, actually makes sense when you think about. Makes me want to stay away from everything other than coconut oil and butter.
#22 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 PM

I think there is a difference between GE and GMO.
#23 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 PM

What is the difference? Neither is natrual in my opinion.
#24 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton
Well, for me personally, I refuse to buy canola because it is genetically modified, most farmers buy round-up resistant canola which is a patent of Monsanto. There are some political issues with Monsanto, but i am sure you don't want to hear all of those reasons. They are an evil, evil corporation.

Here is my big reason: with round-up resistant canola, farmers just fly over with crop dusting planes, dump massive amounts of round-up on the canola and that kills all the weeds. Yuck. They will do this several times over the season.

I feel so stupid, I should have thought about that...I am from Germany where, I believe, genetically modified plants are not allowed( or if so, have to labelled as such)

Arghhh!
#25 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50
here is what my book has to say (nourishing traditions):
"the newest oil on the market, canola oil was developed from rape seed ... which is considered unsuited to human consumption because it contains a long-chain fatty acid called erucic acid, which under some circumstances is associated with fibrotic heart lesions. Canola oil was bred to contain little if any erucic acid and has drawn the attention of nutritionists because of its high oleicacid content. but there are some indications that canola oil presents dangers of its own. it has a high sulphur content and goes rancid easily ... during the deodorizing process, the omega 3 fatty acids of processed canola oil are transformed into trans fatty acids..."

i also though bleach was used in the process to but i could be wrong about that.
mandi

Bleached oil?Geeez!
#26 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves
How about very light olive oil? We use it for things where the taste of "extra virgin cold pressed" would be too strong.

ETA if you decide to stop cooking with the canola oil, you could use the remainder to make playdough or shine furniture.
There is no way I can put olive oil into everything, honestly, I don't like the taste much :
#27 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmom
another reason not to use canola...

there is a factory in canada that produces canola (which is where the name came from, not from corn, which is what most people think) where a lot of workers have come down with major health problems all linked to continuous exposure in the factory.

hm, makes me think but then it is just hearsay...
#28 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
I use Ghee a lot,too...my husband is indian
#29 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb123
Ha, i bought some today actually....doesn't have such a strong taste like olive oil
#30 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 AM

hey, great info ladies I've been really slacking with my food-nutrition-knowledge and was clueless about canola. Thanks!!!
~L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page