i an looking for baking recipes with fruit juice concentrate instead of sugar - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am looking for some recipes for baking, cookies, breads, whatever where i can substitute a natural sweetener for sugar. i tried using slpenda and it just is not right plus i am trying to stay away from chemically produced foods. i have seen some articles for diabetics that say to replace sugar with fruit juice concentrate but i can find any recipes. i don't know what the equivelence would be.

help!
#2 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 08:30 PM

I have a book about it, but I can't remember the title ATM. I'll look it up and get back to you later.
#3 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 11:05 PM

It's called "Sweet and Sugarfree" by Karen Barkie. I've seen it on Amazon. It has recipes that are sweetened with fruit purees instead of sugar. I haven't made anything out of it yet, so I can't tell you whether it would be good or not.

Personally, I cut down on sugar by not making desserts and sweet treats. If I do make dessert (once in a great while), it's either fruit based (Like a crisp) or made with regular sugar (though I'm thinking of switching to raw sugar). And I've learned you can nearly halve the sugar in a recipe without affecting its taste much.
#4 of 7 Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You could just experiment- for cakes or muffins, just use fruit juice concentrate in place of the liquids and omit the sugar. This generally works better with "less sweet" recipes, such as muffins rather than a really sweet cake.

I know a good cranberry sauce recipe: 1 bag cranberries, 1 12oz can apple juice concentrate (thawed, undiluted.) Combine them in a saucepan on medium heat until the cranberries "pop". Basically, I took the recipe from the bag of cranberries and substituted a can of apple juice concentrate for the water and sugar.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 7 Old 02-07-2005, 08:02 PM

I have Sweet and Sugarfree, and I was not impressed. She doesn't use fj concentrates, she uses bananas and just other fruit. I found the stuff to be marginal at best. BUT! Sweet and Natural Baking from Mani's Bakery is *amazing*. he uses white grape fruit juice concentrates, and I have made the brownies, scones, and even a Chocolate Raspberry Fortress Cake ( ) for my stepdad's birthday, and it was really good. There is definitely a tangy fruit taste, but its totally worth it. Though, all my nutrition gurus would say that just because it isn't refined sugar, doesn't mean its all ok. Still need to moderate. But I'm on a elimination diet right now, and fruit juice concentrate is allowed, and I have found a muffin recipe in this book that i'll be able to eat which makes me *so* excited!! (small pleasures! :LOL )

anyhoo... i bought it on amazon for about 8 bucks. well worth it.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for tips. i'll check out that Sweet and Natural Baking from Mani's Bakery on amazon.

thanks again!
#7 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 03:57 AM

I have the book Sugar Free Toddlers that I checked out from the library. Its has some fruit juice recipes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page