Pirogi? (sp) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2002, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to make these? I've heard that there's many variations but I've always wanted to make them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2002, 06:28 PM

My grandmothers and mother both made pierogi, but for some odd reason no one can remember how???? (they don't cook anymore)

they used to fill them with:
  • mashed potatoes
  • mashed potatoes with cheese, onion or bacon
  • saurkraut (w/ or without bacon)

They would fry them in a pan or boil them...oh my goddness how delicious. Every so often I break down and buy a box of 'Mrs. Paul's' in the frozen section of the grocery, but they're not the same .

We are of slavic/polish/lithuanian background. Some other goodies from my childhood:
  • stuffed cabbage (cooked in a thin tomato sauce and served with mashed potatoes)
  • stuffed peppers (served same as above)
  • chicken paprikash and dense egg dumplings
  • kolachkies (sp?) (light pastry cookies filled with raspberry, prune, apricot or date preserves)

Oh my goodness am I hungry now!

all the best,
Victoria
#1 edd 12/04/02
Old 09-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Banned

That sounds like the way dh grew up! His mother still makes cinnamon and poppyseed kolaches every Christmas, and she also just made a huge batch of hulupkes (sp?) - stuffed cabbage - when we were last out to visit. Sorry - I don't have a pierogi recipe, but I'll ask dh's mother to see if she knows of a good one.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:58 PM

My dh is Polish so I have learned how to cook pierogis in a million different ways...

You can fill them with Cheese potatoes
or garlic potatoes

prunes
saurkraut

you name it.
I saute some onion in olive oil and fry them.

You can saute some veggies with olive oil and garlic then fry them in that.

There are countless ways to do them.

Mrs. T's are not bad

My favorite are the krishiki's They are like small funnel cakes only better. Lima bean soup is a polish staple here as well as galumpkis. I have changed the recipes to be a little healthier, like NO bacon fat in my cooking etc...
Old 09-20-2002, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Chanley,
what do you put the filling into?
Old 09-20-2002, 06:11 PM

They are nothing more than thick ravioli's. Any kinds of pasta dough will work. They are my husband’s favorites! He loves the very simple potato/onions ones. Don't have the recipe with me (I'm at work!) but I usually use basic gnocchi dough which is potato based. I have also had success with ready made pasta dough from a local "gourmet" store and (believe it or not) wonton wrappers one time when I was desperate! Of course they did not have the same thick & chewy consistency

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 09-20-2002, 06:28 PM

Here is a dough recipe from Epicurious: This is not quite the same as I use but it's form Gourmet magazine so I am sure it's OK.

PIEROGI AND VARENIKI DOUGH

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 50 min
1 cup all-purpose flour plus additional for kneading and rolling
3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water

Stir together flours in a bowl. Make a well in flour and add eggs, salt, and water, then stir together with a fork without touching flour. Continue stirring, gradually incorporating flour into well until a soft dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead, adding only as much additional flour as needed to keep dough from sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. (Dough will be soft.) Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature at least 30 minutes.

Cooks' note:

• Dough may be made 2 hours ahead, wrapped well in plastic wrap and chilled. Bring to room temperature before using.

Makes enough for about 48 pierogies or 32 varenikis.

Gourmet
February 2001

I like to just make a mashed potato and onion filling (boil onions and potato together them mash with milk/cream, butter and salt/pepper to taste) Roll out the dough on a floured, cold surface. Cut out circles with a floured round cookie/bisquit cutter. Put 1-2 teaspoons of the filling into the center of each circle. Fold the dough into a half moon shape and crimp/seal the edges. You can also use a dumpling maker.

I usually cook then in a large fry pan in olive oil and onions. Yummy! My husband also likes them boiled and then dips them tomato sauce.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

User Tag List