how much should an 8 mos old eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-22-2002, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds has lately been waking up to nurse a LOT at night, maybe 4 or 5 times. He wakes up much more than he used to, and it's starting to wear dh and I down (we cosleep, so when baby gets up, EVERYBODY gets up!). I don't want to night wean him, 'cos I think 8 mos is too young, but I would be unbelievably happy if he cut down to 2 nurses a night.

This morning, a little lightbulb went off, and I figured that he needs to eat more during the day, and that's probably why he's been waking up so much. He eats fruit and yogurt for lunch, and a couple of different veggies mixed w/ rice cereal for for dinner. He'll usually have an Earth's Best teething biscuit as a snack at some point during the afternoon. And, of course, breastmilk on demand!

I started giving him some fruit for breakfast today, but I was wondering what other people feed/have fed babies of this age?

thx,
mm
#2 of 3 Old 09-23-2002, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I think it all depends on the babe! My 8 mo old ds eats really well for a couple days, then refuses solids for a couple days, then back on the bandwagon... I have cooked/pureed/frozen in ice cube tray veggies - sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, plus applesauce, grapes I peel and quarter, rice cereal, banana, avocado if I feel like sharing... I usually feed him in the morning, and at dinner, we graze on blackberries outside too.. anyway, I usually defrost one ice cube size of food, and maybe throw a little of something else in there, and he usually doesn't finish it. The past couple days he has done a lot better, even ate all I gave him with relish! He had been nursing anywhere from 6+ times a night, but the past two nights he has woken up twice, nursed once. ??? Who knows, it may switch.
Sorry so long and rambly - he nurses on demand too. I guess I mean to say I feed him what he will eat!! My mom insists that if I feed him cereal at night he will sleep through, but that JUST ISN'T THE CASE! Apparently I did that as a babe, but then, her dr had her start me on cereal at 6 weeks!
#3 of 3 Old 09-23-2002, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may want ot try offering more nursing during the day too and see if that helps. My guess though, would be that he is nursing more out of habit at night than out of need. There are gentle ways (would take a while though) to break the habit without night weaning (so if he is hungry he still eats but doesn't nurse back to sleep).

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page