my baby is turning 1- need cake ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2005, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what's good for a 1st bday cake? what did your dc eat when they turned one?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 04:17 PM
cjr

Carter turns 1 at the end of the month and this is what I'm doing...

I bought an age appropriate dump truck and I'm making brownies. I make my brownies with unsweetend chocolate and whole barley flour and sucanat. They are so good. I'm cutting them up into pieces and putting them in the truck. Then the kids are making their own brownie sundays with carob sauce and rice dream or soydream (not sure which one yet). No one eats birthday cake and I can't get the "fake" icing right anyway.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a couple:

Vanilla Cake
This moist cake contains no eggs.

2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup safflower oil
2/3 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy) or water
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375º. Oil 9-inch cake pan. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together. In separate bowl, beat remaining ingredients. Add to flour mixture and beat until smooth. Pour into prepared cake pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry and edges are golden. Cool on rack before removing from pan and frosting.

Serves 8

Applesauce Cake
This moist, spiced cake is easy to make and vegan.

1/4 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350º. Oil a 10-inch round cake pan or 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Beat oil, maple syrup, and vanilla together until smooth. Stir in applesauce, raisins, and walnuts. In separate bowl, sift remaining ingredients together. Dough will be stiff. Spread into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until cake pulls away from edges of pan and knife inserted in center comes out dry. Cool on rack. Serve cake plain or with whipped tofu topping. Also delicious frosted.

Serves 12

For frosting you could use apple butter, or cream cheese pureed with crushed pineapple, juice concentrate, or maple syrup.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-13-2005, 04:55 PM

cjr, could you please share your barley flour brownie recipe? I'm intrigued!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:04 PM

I second that-

please can you share your barley flour brownie recipe.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:06 PM
cjr

4 squares of unsweetened chocolate
3/4 c. butter
2 c. sucanat
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. barley flour
1 c. coarsely chopped nuts of choice (roasted)

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a large bowl. Stir the sugar into the chocolate until well blended (with sucanat is will not disolve totally, but that's fine). Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and nuts and spread in a 8x8 glass pan. Bake in preheated 350F oven for about 35 min. I actually bake them for about 40 min. At 35 min they were very fudgy.

Still a treat, but at least I can live with the list of ingredients. These never last more than a day when I make them. I'm going to make up two pans and cut them into small cubes to put in the dump truck. Then I'm going to put a number 1 candle on top of the pile and wheel the truck across the table to Carter.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

these all sound great!

I the dump truck idea too! that is too cute! he's never had chocolate though and I'd like it to stay that way for at least another year

anyone have a carrot cake recipe? I was thinking cupcakes, but not sure about sugary frosting..maybe if I made a light cream cheese one?

eta-he eats eggs already. (usually scrambled, yolk and all) is that bad?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:27 PM

My son is turning 1 next month and I was going to make a carrot cake recipe that my Mom has used for almost 20 years. It has a recipe for cream cheese frosting but we have dairy/soy allergies so it's not an option. It's such a moist cake that it truly doesn't need frosting but I was thinking of doing a simple glaze anyway for looks.

I can post the recipe after I type it up, my Mom faxed it to me.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:59 PM

I was planning on using my mom's carrot cake recipe as well. I figured I would just use whole grain flour, instead of white, unsweetened applesauce instead of oil, and a natural sweetner- and tell not a soul! I don't have the recipe though, however I have had great success with substituting healthier ingredients in regular recipes.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's my carrot cake recipe:

Pineapple-Carrot Cake

This is our favorite cake. It is moist and flavorful and just sweet enough. It’s perfect for baby’s first birthday. Use Ener-G Egg Replacer if baby is not eating eggs yet.

2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup maple syrup, honey, or brown rice syrup
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup oil
1 3/4 cups crushed pineapple, drained
1 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 3 carrots)
2/3 cup minced walnuts, almonds, or pecans (optional)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 300º. Oil a 9-inch springform pan. Beat together eggs, sweetener, yogurt, and oil until smooth. Stir in pineapple, carrots, and nuts. In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture gently into carrot batter. Pour batter into pre-pared pan.
Bake 60 to 70 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Frost cooled cake with Pineapple-Yogurt Frosting (recipe follows) or Cream Cheese Frosting (page 114).

Yield: 8 servings

Note: Crushed pineapple comes in 20-ounce cans con-taining approximately 2¼ cups pineapple. Save the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple to use in the frosting.

Pineapple-Yogurt Frosting
When the liquid or whey is drained from yogurt, it becomes firm like cream cheese. Mixed with fruit, you have an easy, sugar-free frosting.

16 ounces plain yogurt
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes

Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth. Place a dish underneath to catch drippings. Pour yogurt into center of colander. Let yogurt drain in re-frigerator overnight.
Place yogurt cheese in bowl. Gently mix in the pineapple. Spread frosting over cooled cake. Sprinkle with coconut.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Note: You can substitute 8 ounces cream cheese for the yogurt cheese if desired.

Cream Cheese Frosting

In food processor or mixer, beat 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, and enough apple juice concentrate or juice to create a frosting consistency with a slightly sweet taste. Maple syrup or honey also work well.

Yield: 1 cup

And there is nothing wrong that your child eats eggs. I just put that in because some parents haven't introduced eggs at 1 year.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 PM

I made a huge platter of fairy cakes (cup cakes? I don't know what you call them in the US - like little muffins in paper cases) and iced them with pink and put a lolly on top that is red and round. I told everyone I'd made a cake of his favourite things - booby. All the bf mamas loved them. Ds got to nibble one a little but that was it. It was more for the fun and the guests.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:54 PM

I made a low sugar carrot cake in the shape of a carrot with some orange and green icing.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 02-13-2005, 11:14 PM

K, I typed it up. I plan on making some healthy substitutions but this is the original recipe. It always came out moist with a nice texture.

Rosemarie Boykin’s Carrot Cake

2 ½ c Flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c sugar
1 c veg oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 xl eggs
2 ½ c shredded carrots
1 (8 ½ oz) can pineapple, well-drained
½ c raisins
1 c coarsely ground walnuts, plus additional for garnish

Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. Set aside. Place sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs in bowl of electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until well-mixed about 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and blend until incorporated. Add carrots, pineapples; raisins and 1 cup walnuts. Blend with spoon just until mixed.
Turn into a well-greased, 10-inch Bundt pan and bake in a preheated, 350-degree oven 60-70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes in pan before unmolding. Cool about 45 minutes.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 AM

Rainbow moon, wonder if you could use carob instead of chocolate for the brownies? I might try...thanks cjr!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:02 AM
cjr

I thought about doing that too. You can make your own chocolate substitute with carob and butter to mimic the unsweetened baking chocolate. I will find the right ratio and list it. Then just add the extra butter called for in the recipe. Since your melting it anyway, I don't think it will really matter.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:15 PM

I made Cathe's carrot cake for ds's first birthday and I thought it was great. Some people : probably weren't used to it as it is not super sweet like conventional carrot cakes, but I thought it was great, and ds did too!

Mama to 3:

User Tag List