Are toddler vitamins ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-25-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some opinions on toddler vitamins. He's at the age where he throws a lot of his food, and I've always had low supply, so even though he nurses, he doesn't get a whole lot out. I know vitamins are good for adults, but what about children? I picked up a box of Nature's Plus Baby Plex sugar free drops, but then I wondered if it was ok to give a toddler vitamins, or are there risks? It's got:

Vit. A (fish liver oil) 60%

Vit. C (ascorbic acid) 109% (I'm a little worried about this one since he eats applesauce a lot, and it's 100% of the recommended vit c)

d (fish liver oil) 100%

E (d-alpha tocopherol) 50%

Thiamin (hcl) 89%

Riboflavin 94%

Niacin 111%

b-6 (pyridoxine hcl) 71%

b-12 (cyanocobalimin) 83%

botin 17%

pathothenic acid (d-pathenol) 75%

choline (bitartrate) 3 mcg

Thanks!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#2 of 5 Old 02-26-2005, 04:43 AM

We use toddler vitamins, and had similar concerns about them being too potent. So what we've done is bought some where it takes 3 vites to make a full serving (so each vite is approx. 33% of the RDA for his age). We never give him all 3. On really difficult feeding days, he gets 2 vites, most days just 1, and on the rare but excellent days in which he actually eats some vegetables, we don't give him any.
#3 of 5 Old 02-26-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Bran eats a lot of fruits and some veggies (mainly peas...that's the only one he won't throw...LOL!)

This is a liquid vitamin, so I could easily cut the dose if I needed to.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 5 Old 02-27-2005, 08:21 PM

THat's what we do, too. If he's eaten really well, he gets the tiniest bit of a vitamin. I think it would only be dangerous if you went over the recomended daily amount. Iron, I think is the danger? Anyhow, we started giving em to DS #2 b/c he wouldn't stop begging when he saw DS #1 get them. It sounds like your giving him a really quality vitamin, too, so I wouldn't worry about it

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2005, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, ok...yep...there's no iron in this vitamin. I'm mainly concerned because he's on a gluten free diet, and I know I become vitamin deficient really easily, so I don't want that to happen to him. Today I gave him half a dose, which isn't really too bad...it's mainly A,B,C, and D.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page