Anybody here supplement with "Juice Plus" (ala Dr. Sears)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dr. Sears has this amazing endorsement on his web site for a powdered fruit/veggie supplement which is supposed to be chocked full of vitamins, antioxidants, etc, etc. He says he discovered this product, tried it, and is totally sold on it. But it also seems like it might be *his* product, so I'm trying to figure out if it's legit or just another gimmick.

Anyone here know anything about this?
Thx!

Here's the blurb:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040500.asp
#2 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 PM

I first heard of it from a friend that is a distributor of the product. She's an RN by profession, but has done a lot of research into the link between nutrition and health. I've been giving the Juice Plus chewables (the only vegan version of the product) to my 5yo for the last 2+ years. I don't give him a multi-vitamin and feel better knowing he's getting a little extra fruit and veggies in him. My friend is pleased because of the number of positive studies in peer-reviewed journals about the results of the product, but I think the studies are at least partially funded by the company that makes it, so who knows... In any case, until my little guy is eating kale and broccoli like there is no tomorrow, I'll probably keep giving him the chewables! :LOL

Here's the link to my distributor's website; there's more info there too...
https://www.juiceplus.com/medical/+lk88480
#3 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM

Wow, I'm not one for too many supplements but those look great. I wonder if you can only buy them online or at Whole Foods? Neither one of my children eat enough veggies even though we really work at it.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/humannutrit...mely/JUICE.HTM

Article refuting its claims. Basically it says that it can't hurt you but a cheaper alternative is to just eat fruits and veggies (no kidding)
#4 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM

i've been wanting to try these for years. they are so expensive online, though. i've looked at Whole Foods for them but they haven't had them. Of course, the huge Whole Foods flagship store opens in 2 days, so I will look again. I wonder if they can order them. I think online you have to order a lot at once.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#5 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 10:18 PM

You have to buy them through distributors or online.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#6 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffanie3
You have to buy them through distributors or online.
They sell them at our local natural food store.

They taste great....we tried them at a demo and my kids loved them. I can not afford them however.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 59 Old 03-01-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyoftwo
Article refuting its claims. Basically it says that it can't hurt you but a cheaper alternative is to just eat fruits and veggies (no kidding)
And thats why I'm giving them to my 5 year old! I know he doesn't get enough veggies on ANY day, and only on some days does he get enough fruit !
#8 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM

I take these supplements. We do eat fruits and vegetables but not as much as we should. Also, organic produce isn't available in our area.

I'd love to have the whole family on JuicePlus+. Our budget only allows for one of us to use it every month. What is nice about JP+ is if I take it, one of my children can take it at no cost. I simply fill out a survey four times a year to keep one of them (my daughter since she's tended to suffer the most illness) on the chewables.

Recently my toddler has started asking for candy and can be pacified with a chewable JP+.

I'm not a distributor but know quite a bit about the product. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.
#9 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 01:41 PM

$150???? Why is it so expensive? Sounds like a huge rip off the price is way to much. I think someone is laughing all the way to the bank.
#10 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 01:51 PM

WOO! Where did you see $150? I pay way less than that for the fruit and veggie caps. They have many products, but the staple product is no where near $150/mo.
#11 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like you can get 4 mos of the children's chewables for $80, which is $20/month (and I'd probably make them last for twice as long). That's not any more than any other supplement we buy.

Chelle, Do you feel like they help? I ask bc my formerly terrific eater (used to eat chard, kale, asparagus, dates, prunes, you name it) is now in a stage of spitting out almost all veggies, and even fruits! I think it's a texture thing. And this winter he's had 6 colds, as opposed to NONE last year. So I'd love to hear if you think they're actually effective. (I realize this is only an n of 1 . . . any others out there?)
#12 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 04:01 PM

I can tell you that I started taking it this summer and though I wasn't as disciplined about taking it as I should have been, I've had far fewer colds this season. Each time I feel I'm getting sick, I take an extra for a couple days (since I have extra). I do notice I'm a little more "regular" than before I started taking it.

I can't say I notice a big change in how I feel. I look at taking it as "insurance". It does make me more aware of my diet. As I'm taking them in the morning, I remind myself to add some fruit to my day. At night, I think about how I did for eating veggies. It also reminds me to drink more water. (That could explain the regularity and improved health in and of itself.)

Do I think this should replace fresh produce? No. Do I think this will prevent all illness including cancer? No. But! If it contains what they say it contains (Oprah's mag had an article that stated it does), it can only be helpful.

As far as the price for this "insurance"? I can easily blow the same amount of money on large iced caramel breves every month (and I do!) If I had to trim my budget and only keep one expense - I'd keep the JP+.

If anyone here decides to get their kids between the ages of 5-15yo on JP+, consider buying the capsules for yourself and the chewables for your child.
#13 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Those look interesting. I'd love a way to get more nutrients into my older ds when he's refusing most fruits and vegetables!

eta..looking at the site that sells them, is it 4 jars for $22 for the gummies? That is about the same price as the gummy vitamins at the hfs, or am I reading it wrong?

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#14 of 59 Old 03-10-2005, 07:23 PM

It's probably $22 a month. With most of their products, they send you a four month supply and then you make a monthly payment. I have mine set up to come directly out of my checking account.

If you have more than one child using the Gummies, and you use them regularly (or you eat all the red ones yourself during naptime), you'll have to request more before the quarterly shipment if that's how the Gummies are sold.

The fruit Gummies are AWESOME. The veggie ones - kind of funky but tastier than the chewable veggie JP+.
#15 of 59 Old 04-20-2005, 01:25 AM

I've found other brands of fruit/veggie supplements. Does anyone have any knowledge of other brands?

And should I be taking supplement in place of a multivitamin, or with one?
#16 of 59 Old 05-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
#17 of 59 Old 05-07-2005, 10:46 PM

I have a question: Do your kids need to take the fruit and veggie gummies to get the effect or just one? Which one is better? Does it matter? Thinking of ordering some for my non-veggie ds. Do they give samples so I can see if he likes the taste and will take them?
#18 of 59 Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the info! I am just starting some of my family on JP, including dh who has high blood pressure so I appreciate pp! There was a thread on this a few weeks ago with some postitive and some negative. Half my fam is going on JP the other half just the veggie vitamins from Trader Joes and I am trying the Greens First I've heard about.

I guess you need to find what works best for you! We'll see.
#19 of 59 Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Juice Plus is a fantastic product. My whole family is on it and have seen wonderful results. I can't say anything more positive about it. They have research showing what it does for your health, etc. Not many products have the research behind them like Juice Plus does. I did become a distributor to get the discount and so my family could take it too. If anyone has any other questions, PM me.

Lora
#20 of 59 Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Juice Plus is WONDERFUL!

I am a distributor and I am trying to get everyone I know to take this wonderful, whole foods supplement.

We have reworked our budget so that we can afford to all take JP because I really feel it is a wonderful product.

There are other whole foods supplements out there---however, JP has been researched and been published in several medical journals. So that makes me feel more assured that they are as good as they say they are.
#21 of 59 Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 AM

I'm new to this site, but found the thread searching for more info on Juice Plus. We have been eating it for years, and I am always looking to learn more. I love Dr. Sears, and have had his books since before any of my pregnancies. If Dr. Sears loves it and recommends it to his patients, then that's good enough for me. Plus, Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld, from Parade Magazine, recommends it, too, and he isn't even involved with the company at all. My kids all like either the chewables or the gummies, and my husband and I do the capsules. I also do their meal replacement shake every day (along with one or two of my kids), just to get some more extra nutrients from food. I also agree that it's not expensive at all. I spend more than that on one fruit or veggie at the grocery store. So, I don't mind adding the money to our food bill. My husband was able to avoid going on Lipitor (the dr. was trying to get him on it for 6 mos., and he finally agreed that the natural way was working - yay!). My kids are almost never sick, and I have more healthy energy (especially needed for homeschooling days!). My family is happy, and we'll eat it for life.
#22 of 59 Old 06-02-2006, 05:54 PM

Here is what seems to be the most definitive scientific commentary on JP gummies. It is not at all favorable.

“Dr. R.J. Stewart and colleagues from the University of Utah published an independent study on JP gummies in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association in 2002 [volume 102:1652-1657]. It was a placebo-controlled study in which 29 kids were given 6 JP gummies a day for 29 days, and using 6 different assay methods, it showed that the gummies provided no antioxidant benefits whatsoever. The authors stated the following: “It is possible that the supplement did not contain enough of the proper antioxidants to make a significant difference or that the antioxidants extracted in the fruit/vegetable extract were not biologically available...We conclude that there was no detectable treatment effect of a phytochemical antioxidant supplement on healthy children’s oxidative stress levels as assessed by several indicators.” They also showed that the product consisted mainly of 2 ingredients: corn syrup (85%) and beef gelatin (10%), and we all know where gelatin comes from… the bones, hides, and hooves of cows and pigs (and sometimes horses).”

Food for thought!
#23 of 59 Old 06-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Brenda, Why do you only respond to Juice Plus questions? Are you here to discredit it only? That is a little strange, don't you think?
#24 of 59 Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use JuicePLus+ as well. My dh and I take the reds, greens, and now the purples (vinyards) as well. My kids take the gummies. Since I've been on the JP+ supplements I have not had asthmatic bronchitis or pneumonia, which I have had my entire life, several times a year (the pneumonia I get at least twice a year during the winter). My vision, for the first time in my life, has been getting better for the last three exams, rather than worse with each exam (I was close to legally blind). The only difference in lifestyle (I was active and ate well, just not nearly the dozen or so fruits and veggies called for per day) to which these things can be attributed is the JuicePlus+.

My daughter has been asthmatic since birth. She's not growing out of it. Still needs her meds. However, since she's been taking the juiceplus gummies, she has caught three colds, and none of these three colds required that she take orapred to keep her from pneumonia, which was an automatic given before the gummies. Even when she GOT the orapred, it was a 50/50 proposition as to whether she would end up with pneumonia. I don't feed my kids junk. THey eat fruits and veggies as much as I'll feed it to them...but the extra ooomph couldn't hurt, I thought. And it seems to be the case...in our case, anyway. My kids are also just much healthier in general than most of the kids in our neighborhood now. They may catch something, but it sticks around for a much shorter duration and the symptoms are much less severe. The only thing we can figure is the cause is that they've started taking the gummies.

I've read several of the studies, several medical schools that are well respected have done them, with outcomes that are definately in favor of JuicePLus+. For goodness sake, St. Jude's research hospital gives the supplements to their cancer children. Why would they waste time or money if they didn't believe (through studying the research) that it had a positive effect?

So, I say, yes, give it a try. We garage sale and sell things on ebay to afford the monthly payment for ours. We found a way, because we believe it's important.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#25 of 59 Old 06-03-2006, 12:24 PM

I'd like to try this for ds as he's very picky about supplements and does not eat anywhere near enough vegetables for my taste. Is there a way to do it without making monthly payments, though? I'd rather do a lump sum as I don't like the idea of a company drawing from my bank account without my overseeing each transaction.
#26 of 59 Old 06-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Bogus studies are not going to change my mind about juice plus!
During the year that my family has been taking it we've all only caught one minor cold, not even severe enough to keep the kids home from school. Before we were all getting sick every other month!
I am so glad I found it.
Dragonfly, yes you can make a lump sum payment.
#27 of 59 Old 06-03-2006, 01:52 PM

I've never used Juice Plus and don't rely on supplements, but you all got me curious, so I did a quick search in a food article database and this is one of the articles that came up:

Title: A mixed fruit and vegetable concentrate inreases plasma antioxidant vitamins and folate and lowers plasma homocysteine in men.

Author(s): Samman S, Sivarajah G, Man JC, Ahmad ZI, Petocz P, Caterson ID
Source: Journal of Nutrition 133 (7) : 2188-2193, 2003

Abstract: Fruit and vegetable consumption is inversely associated with coronary heart disease (CHD) risk. This study determined the effect of supplementation with dried juice concentrates from mixed fruits and vegetables on selected plasma vitamins and antioxidant status. CHD risk was assessed by measuring the concn. of homocysteine, lipids, lipoproteins, glucose and insulin. Men were recruited to participate in a randomized double-blind, crossover trial with 2 periods of 6 wk, separated by a 3-wk wash-out period. Supplementation with the encapsulated mixed extract (Juice Plus) was compared with physically similar placebo capsules. 32 men (13 smokers, 19 nonsmokers) completed the study with a mean compliance of 88%. Compared with placebo, supplementation increased concn. of plasma beta-carotene (0.24 +/- 0.15 vs. 1.12 +/- 0.70 mumol/l; mean +/- s.d.; P < 0.0001), retinol (1.87 +/- 0.33 vs. 2.00 +/- 0.43 mumol/l; P < 0.05), alpha-tocopherol (16.8 +/- 7.3 vs. 19.3 +/- 6.8 mumol/l; P < 0.01), ascorbic acid (72.1 +/- 19.4 vs. 84.1 +/- 13.5 mumol/l; P < 0.002) and folic acid (24.5 +/- 10.0 vs. 44.9 +/- 16.9 nmol/l; P < 0.0001). Plasma homocysteine was reduced (8.2 +/- 1.5 vs. 7.6 +/- 1.1; P < 0.05) and inversely related (r = -0.40, P < 0.001) with serum folate concn. Plasma vitamin C was positively correlated with the resistance of low density lipoproteins (LDL) to oxidation (r = 0.26, P < 0.05) and the plasma ferric reducing/antioxidant power (FRAP) tended to be greater after supplementation than after the placebo period (1125.5 +/- 144.1 vs. 1180.3 +/- 158.1 mumol/l; P < 0.065). Plasma glucose, insulin and lipid concn. were unaffected. Responses of smokers and nonsmokers did not differ. In the absence of dietary modification, supplementation with a fruit and vegetable concentrate produced responses consistent with a reduction in CHD risk.

I haven't looked at the others and haven't searched for the one Brenda cited.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#28 of 59 Old 06-03-2006, 02:18 PM

We have a holistic pediatrician. He said that only 10% of his clients come in sick of all the ones on Juice Plus. Both he and DS's surgeon highly recommend it. We are planning to start the kids on it this year at some point, but I have to work it into the budget.

Both the docs and my other friends who are all one it say that the longer they've taken the Juice Plus, the more they crave veggies and fruits. Our Ped said that it was really strange that he'd never really liked Beets, but found himself desiring them after taking the supplements for a while.

I have plenty of friends who use it and love it.
#29 of 59 Old 06-04-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
For goodness sake, St. Jude's research hospital gives the supplements to their cancer children.
Courtenay, can you provide any evidence from St Jude's to confirm that they routinely use Juice Plus. I find that VERY hard to swallow
#30 of 59 Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM

I have posted information about Juice Plus on other topics within this forum, and many people continue to ask how to get product, how the company charges etc, so thought I would give those answers here. And yes, many people are happy with Juice Plus and the effects it has had on their families. Just in case others have not seen my other posts on Juice Plus, I am not a distributor for this company, but I do work for a Chiropractor that highly recommends Juice Plus to his clients and has seen great health benefits in the product. The Chiropractor I work for is also NOT involved with the company, so his recommendation is not financially supported. He works with an area distributor and sends his patients to her to place orders.

Juice Plus is sold in 4 months supplies - the rationale for this is because it takes 4 months for your blood cells to rejuvenate, and for most people to see a postive change, could take anywhere from 1 day to 4 months. Some people don't experience any change at all, but for some, they see changes immediately. Everyone will experience Juice Plus differently.

The company either bills you in one lump sum or will charge credit card/debit card monthly depending on the customers request.

Anyone interested in using Juice Plus can either call the corporate offices (customer service) and give them your address, they will then put you in touch with a distributor in your area to work with. I will also give the information to the rep that my boss uses for his clients as she has been in the business for a long time and has a great amount of knowledge on the product (not to say others don't). Her website and contact information is:
http://www.tryjuiceplustoday.com or email TryJuicePlus@aol.com

Hope this helps clear up some of the questions about how to obtain Juice Plus and how the company charges for the product. Best of health to you!!! :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page