what can ypu freeze - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-30-2002, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Freezer cooking a meal entirely I don't think I can do but I would like to start freezing a few staples, cooked or raw so they won't go bad. But what can or can't I freeze. Can most raw vegetables be frozen, and what's the best way(boy my mother should have taught me to cook) potatoes, zucchini, cabbage adn what about fruit. some fruit doesn't get eaten right away until someone remembers it's there and than it's bad. Can most fruit be frozen(mostly bananas, kiwi, apples, peaches)? And beans, cooked beans is that okay to freeze. I would really like to get started to add a little time in my day, I hope someone can help.
#2 of 2 Old 09-30-2002, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Almost anything can be frozen. Most veggies and fruits can be frozen raw, but they will have some change in texture. You'll really want to cook most of them after they come out of the freezer (or before they go in) since they won't really be pretty and crisp enough to eat raw. The only exception I can think of is cooked potatoes. (I don't know about raw potatoes.) Cooked potatoes can turn black. They'll still taste fine, but it would be hard to find someone willing to eat them. Some stuff would probably be better blanched. The skin on peaches gets really yucky if you freeze them with it on, and I'd imagine that fruits like nectarines would be the same. Apples would probably need to be cooked. I've never seen frozen raw apples.

Cooked beans are great for freezing. I buy big batches of dry beans, cook them, and freeze them in small quantities so that I don't have to use canned ones.

Look into checking out a book about freezer cooking from the library. Once-a-Month Cooking is great. I've never found one that has very healthy recipes, but they all have lists of foods that freeze best and foods you shouldn't try freezing. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page