What else can I do with rice and beans???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-01-2002, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your favorite legume/grain combos everyone?

Any and all legumes and grains are more than welcome to join this party!

We eat a ton of brown rice and black beans or chick peas or red chili beans in this house, and frankly, it's getting a tad bit tired.
Help spice up my diet a little!

What we do now: (all good stuff, but kind of lacking for variety)
-At least once a week, we have homemade veggie burgers
-dp routinely brings a rice/bean/cheese/veggie wrap for lunch at work
-I bake rice and beans with cumin and yogurt and chili powder and cheese and top w/fresh homemade salsa
-I make chili about once a week

Um, I think that's about it. See why I need some fresh ideas?

What can I add to this? I want to experiment more with Indian recipes (lots of great vegetarian bean/grain combos there) but I am open to ANY new ideas!
#2 of 14 Old 10-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Banned

Lentil stew: Sautee thinly sliced onion, garlic and carrot (and celery root or celery if you want) till softened. Add small green lentils, chopped tomato, sliced leek (if you have it), and the following chopped fresh herbs: parsley, dill, oregano and thyme (all in larger quantities than usual - if you use, say, a cup of lentils, then use a half cup of parsley, and about 1/4 cup of each of the rest). Add stock or water. Simmer till lentils are tender but not mushy. Remove a quarter cup or so of the lentils and mash, and return them to the stew. Add a tiny bit of cider vinegar if you want (put it in early enough to let the acetic acid burn off), and salt and pepper. I prefer good crusty sourdough or rye flour bread with this, rather than rice.

You might also want to sautee onions and garlic till lightly browned. Add cumin, turmeric, corriander and, if you want, some cayenne, as well as fresh or ground ginger. Add regular green or split orange lentils (moong dal?), canned chopped tomatoes, and water or stock. Simmer till tender. Add lemon or lime juice and salt to taste. Serve with rice.
#3 of 14 Old 10-01-2002, 05:07 PM

Pilau recipe from Kenya

Lentils
rice
potatoes cut in chunks
meat chunks (for the authentic recipe, I usually leave out the meat and make it vegetarian).
ghee or butter
+ spices (use whole spices for the authentic recipe, or powdered spices for an Americanized version you can eat with a fork)
Cinnaman
cuman
Black pepper
cadimon
salt

Heat ghee in a deep pot to fry the spices and meat. Add potatoes, rice, lentils + water sufficient for the quantity of rice and lentils. Stir it up and put the lid on. Cook over low heat until water is absorbed.

--AmyB
#4 of 14 Old 10-01-2002, 11:54 PM

Have you tried wheatberries? I get them at my co-op and they've got to be available at Whole Foods-type stores as well. Cook the wheatberries with a 2.5:1 ratio of water to grain (there might be extra water left, just drain or save to put in bread). I start out with cold water over a very low flame in a heavy pot and it takes a little over an hour. It might be different for you.

I put them in meatloaf and bread, but since DH won't eat beans, I haven't tried them with beans. I think they'd be good with something sweeter, like kidney beans, though.

Here's an idea: saute some chopped onion until translucent, add a little chopped garlic if you like. Add your cooked wheatberries and cooked beans, saute to heat through. Dress with cider vinegar and a little olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. I think it'd be a good warm salad, personally.

Gotta go get some kidney beans and try out my idea now!

Take care,
Jessikate
#5 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 AM

Totally lazy and yummy and not for vegans:

- Cook Rice (or use leftovers if you are me)
- Warm up a can of vegetarian refried beans (I said this was for lazy people)
- Put rice and beans on plate and put some shredded cheese on it
- Microwave to melt cheese
- Throw some salsa on it (I make super simple salsa using canned diced tomatoes, onion and cilantro)

EAT! Yummy and easy.
#6 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 08:42 AM

Spicy Blackeyed Peas

oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder (I use more)
1 16 oz. can blackeyed peas (drained)
substitute fresh if you have the time
1 16 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes (undrained)
few drops Tabasco
1 tsp white vinegar
salt, pepper

Saute onion, garlic, and spices in a little oil until the onions are soft.
Add the (blackeyed) peas and tomatoes.
Simmer for 20 minutes or so, breaking up the tomatoes. Add Tabasco, vinegar,
salt, and pepper. Turn off heat and
stir.

I suggest varying your rice selection: try brown basmati, sweet rice - warning: sweet rice has a stickier texture and cooking time may vary, wild rice blends, etc.
#7 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Banned

Try a stir-fry with bean curd (tofu) and veggies over rice.

Lots of variations on this theme.

If you're sick of beans try the stir fry with peanuts or cashews to balance the protein.

I make sweet and sour with nuts, peppers, pineapple (make a sauce out of the pineapple juice, corn starch, and soy sauce)

Stir fry and put the sauce over the stir fry at the end.

Cook the rice in the beginning of the process.

I also make fried rice out of veggies and add a couple of fried eggs (don't know whether you're a vegan if you're vegan you could substitute the bean curd) add soy sauce at the end.

Chilli's great....last night's dinner in fact.

Have you tried black beans and rice?? (You cook the rice seperately and take black beans, some red sauce, spices (don't forget cilantro) and cook. This is a really nice combo.

I love the veggie burgers (soy based) but they're so expensive.

HTH

Debra Baker
#8 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 11:35 AM

Don't forget cold grain salads with beans and veggies in them. You can go for various flavors -- add salsa or tomatoes and balsamic or a tangy asian dressing or curry with raisins, mango and coconut... you get the idea.
#9 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 11:49 AM

also good w/out tuna. the lentil/dressing makes a good sandwich filler, stick some tomato and lettuce on bread, top with lentils.

and...since good tuna is out for us cost wise -- we often substitute some grilled shrimp or chicken.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup lentils, preferably French green lentils
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or Italian parsley
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Freshly ground pepper, to taste + 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound fresh tuna
Vegetable oil, as needed
3 ounces mixed salad greens

INSTRUCTIONS
Combine the lentils, bay leaf and water in a medium saucepan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are tender but still al dente. While the lentils cook, mix together the shallot, mint, vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.

Combine 3/8 teaspoon salt with about 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper. Season the tuna on both sides with this mixture.

Place a nonstick grill pan, or a skillet containing a little vegetable oil, over high heat.

When hot, add the tuna and sear for about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warmed plate and let rest for a few minutes.

Toss the greens with about 2 teaspoons of the vinaigrette. Drain the lentils and combine them with the remaining vinaigrette.

Portion the greens onto serving plates, then pile the lentils on top. Slice the tuna into thin strips, and fan out over the lentils.

Serves 4.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oooh! I have a whole slew of bean recipes. We serve them with rice or flatbread (two recipes of which are included). Here you go:

FYI--We get our beans and spices pretty inexpensively in bulk at Sam’s Club and an Indian/Pakistani grocery store. And, of course, you can never have too many onions or heads of garlic on hand!

Caribbean Chili

3 cups black or red beans, cooked (can use canned)
oil for sauteing
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs sugar
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes with juice

Saute the onions for 8 minutes, then, add garlic and peppers. Cook for two more minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix the beans in and add the juices and tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes to meld the flavors and evaporate any extra liquid.

Brazilian Black Beans

oil for sautéing
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 lb flank steak or Italian sausage without casing cut in thin strips/small pieces (vegetarians and vegans can omit this and add a few cubes of chicken or vegetable boullian)
2 cups black beans, uncooked
4 cups water

Saute the onions for five minutes in a large pot. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Now add and brown the meat. To this, pour in the beans, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Beans should be very tender. Check for salt. Serve with white rice and cool vegetables (we like sliced tomatoes with lemon juice, olive oil and salt).

Homemade Refried Beans

4 slices bacon, chopped (can replace with olive oil)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cooking liquid (can use chicken broth also)
salt to taste
4 cups cooked pinto or black beans, undrained

In a large, deep skillet or pot, cook bacon pieces over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add onions and sauté until they turn a golden brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Make sure the vegetables don’t burn—you may have to reduce heat. Add with a slotted spoon 1 cup at a time of the cooked beans. Reserve the liquid. Mash the beans against the side as you add each cup full to the pan/pot. When you’ve smashed all the beans this way, stir in one cup of cooking liquid. Cook over medium-low heat until the beans are slightly soupier than you would like to eat them—they will thicken as they sit. We eat these with Spanish rice.

Red Beans with Cream (Indian)

2 cups red kidney beans, cooked (can use canned)
1/2 cup cooking liquid
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
3 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp garam masala OR a pinch each of the following: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, black pepper and cumin
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 tbs butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
2 dried, hot red chilies or 1 small fresh pepper (like a Serrano)
finely chopped

Mash the beans a bit against the side of the pan, adding a small amount of cooking liquid to soften them (start with a few tablespoons at first). Turn the heat to medium-low. Add the lemon juice and powdered ginger. Stir to mix, and then add the garam masala or the pinches of the other spices and the salt. Finally, add the cream. Stir and cook while you follow the next step.
Put a small skillet over medium heat and add the butter. When hot, add the cumin seeds. After a few seconds, add the garlic and fresh peppers, if you’re using them. Stir and fry until the garlic browns slightly. If you’re using dried peppers*, put them into the skillet at the end, and stir once. Pour the contents of skillet, butter and all into the pot of beans. Stir to mix. *The dried chilies are NOT meant to be eaten. Serve with flat bread (recipe follows).

Lentils with Browned Onion (Indian)

1 1/2 cups lentils (any kind)
5 cups of water
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-5 dried, hot red chilies (found with the Mexican or Asian spices at a grocery store)
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into very thing half-rings

Put the water, lentils and turmeric in a heavy pan. Stir and bring to a simmer (don’t let it boil over). Cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and simmer on low for40-50 min or until tender. Add salt and mix. Put butter in a small skillet on high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds, then put in the red chilies. As soon as they turn dark red, put in the onion and stir-fry it on medium-high heat until it turns brown and crisp. (Watch them so they don’t burn.) Finally, pour the contents of the skillet into the lentils and stir. Eat with rice (basmati rice is excellent) or flat bread.

Sour Chickpeas (Indian)--I love this one!

1. Cook chickpeas until tender (or heat two cans of them). Save cooking liquid.
2. In a tea cup, combine 2 tbs finely chopped onion, 1 finely chopped jalapeno or other hot/warm pepper, 4 tbs lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt.
3. In a skillet, saute an onion. Add a can of diced tomatoes (or the equivalent fresh) and cook for a few more minutes. Then, add one tbs each of cumin and coriander, 2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Add the chickpeas and a bit of cooking liquid (probably 1 cup) to create a sauce. Cook for 10 or so minutes, adding cooking liquid as needed. Finally, stir in the mixture from the tea cup. Adjust salt and lemon juice as needed.

Chapati (frying pan flat bread)

1 1/8 cup wheat flour (can mix white and wheat)
3/4 cup water
salt to taste

Mix this into a dough and knead for a few minutes. Make this while you prepare one of the bean recipes. Set aside for a few minutes before cooking.
Heat a cast iron frying pan (if you don’t have one, I’d use Teflon or spray your pan with cooking spray) over medium-low heat.
Divide the dough into 10 or so parts, and roll out each ball into a thin disk (kind of like a tortilla). Use extra flour to keep them from sticking. Lay it in the pan on low heat for a minute. The underside should develop white spots. Turn the bread over and cook for another 30 seconds. Take the pan off the stove and then with tongs, hold the chapati directly over the flame. It should puff up in seconds. Do the same to the opposite side. Eat them immediately.

Poori (deep-fried, puffy bread)

1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs oil plus more for frying
A little less than 1/2 cup water (3.5 oz)

Put flours and salt in a bowl. Drizzle the oil over it, then rub with your fingers until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Slowly add the water to form a stiff ball of dough. Knead until smooth. Set aside for a few minutes before cooking. Divide into 10 or so equal parts. Roll the dough into a tortilla like disk. In a small frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. When it is very hot, lay the poori into the pan. Be careful of the oil splashing. It will sink in the oil and then rise again. Push the poori down into the oil with a spoon using small, quick strokes. In a few seconds, the poori will puff up. Turn it over and cook for 10 more seconds. Then put on a plate lined with paper towels. Eat immediately.
#11 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 03:55 PM

NewMa,

Curry chickpea casserole/loaf

This is not the most exciting recipe I make, but I find it's simple, satisfying, quick, and usually popular. Good potluck dish!

It's vegan and was in a cookbook from PETA, but this is just my memory of it. Doesn't have to be too exact, and is a good way of using up a couple of cups of cooked rice.

In a frying pan, sautee a chopped onion & a little garlic, add one or two bay leaves, salt & pepper, and some cumin and curry powder (vary depending on your tastes).

Remove bay leaves. To this mixture add a can of creamed corn (this is the only thing I've ever used creamed corn for in my life. You can use regular corn but add a little more liquid then - and it won't be sweet). Mix in chickpeas (one can, rinsed, or 1-2 cups cooked), and 2 cups cooked rice -- brown is nice.

Mix all this into a loaf pan and bake at 350 long enough to come together and warm through. I sometimes top with bread crumbs or cheese. Yum.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#12 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 06:24 PM

This one varies depending on what I've got handy. Basically, I mix equal parts cooked black beans & corn. Add some diced tomato, chopped onion, diced avocado, crushed red pepper, salt, couple spoonfulls olive oil, balsamic vinegar to taste.
#13 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all so much for the suggestions! (WriterMama, you really went all out! Thanks!) I appreciate the recipes and ideas so much. I'm getting fairly peckish reading this thread...
#14 of 14 Old 10-02-2002, 09:45 PM

We put our beans and rice with some saffron ( Spanish rice style) and wrap it in a tortilla with trimmings, or serve in a taco for TACO NIGHT!! Shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, the works.

Yum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page