NT diet causing gas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if tmi, but I've been doing the NT thing for about 2 weeks now, and I think it's causing gas pains--I've got unexplained pains on my upper left abdomen that the dr says is gas, probably caused by the fermented foods I've introduced. The main thing I've done differently with this diet is the addition of kefir and kefir-soaked foods. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to continue with it if it doesn't get better.

I tried to do a search of the past NT threads for info on this, but there's just too much to look at. So sorry if this has been discussed already! Thanks, Kelly
#2 of 4 Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
cjr

I have read that if you introduce too much kefir then it will cause gas pain. I would try to reduce the amount of fermented foods you are eating and slowly increase them to allow your body to adjust to them. Also, don't drink kefir everyday. Allow the flora a chance to do it's job. I usually drink a kefir smoothie Monday to Friday and then take the weekend off.

When I first started kefir I was getting some gas discomfort too, but it's settled down considerably. I don't believe it was anything else but the kefir causing it as that was the biggest change in my diet.
#3 of 4 Old 03-04-2005, 06:48 PM

Diet changes in general cause digestive distress, but especially introducing fermented foods you need to do it gradually. Try cutting back and then slowly increasing to let your system have some time to adjust.
#4 of 4 Old 03-05-2005, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion to go easy on the kefir--I was having it in a smoothie once a day. No wonder! Would your advice apply to using it for soaking grains as well? Or should I just throw out the extra kefir?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page