Okay...I hate to cook...but need to eat. Help me! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually only lurk here...my diet is less than ideal, I have a picky eater and am just happy he EATS anything, and I am a picky eater...

I was really great with my first ds and the whole let's eat better thing...but then he grew older, I had a second baby who would barely eat anything...and well, I really hate to cook.

I love cookbooks. I have a very large collection of cookbooks and recipes. I read them. :LOL

So...what about a healthy cookbook for mamas like me who like the IDEA of cooking, but really don't like to cook?

Simple, EASY, no fuss healthy stuff that doesn't take alot of preparation time, or clean up time. Am I dreaming or is there such a thing as easy peasy meals for mom who hate to cook or are domestically challenged?

Example of a typical lunch for me...

Whole wheat bread with peanut butter and honey. A glass of milk, water or juice.

Whole wheat sandwich with cheese, lettuce and tomato. A glass of milk, water or juice. I like chips, too , and when I am good I eat those blue organic tortilla chips. When I am bad...well, I won't bring it up here.

Dinner...pasta, jar sauce, salad in a bag ( organic greens when possible) and garlic bread ( not great, but everyone loves it.)

Annie's mac and cheese, a veggie...

Chicken ( if dh cooks it) salad, a veggie.

I really, really hate cooking...and once my dc grow up and go to college I will go back to living on yogurt, peanut butter and cheese sandwiches and salads...

I will not bring up my bad eating habits here, because, well, I don't want to shock you all. :

Do you have some really easy, healthy things you do on days when YOU don't feel like cooking???

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#2 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Yes, here is my plan - the kids cook, LOL!

They can make a variety of things. They used to cook at least once a week, and I think that we should get back to that idea...

Easy for kids or anyone - Tuna sandwiches, baked potato, side dish: either can of veg baked beans or cook any frozen veggies from the freezer or Annie's mac and cheese.

Cheese Quesadillas:

We have three kids so I double this:

Package of 10 large flour tortillas
8 - 12 ounces shredded cheese - cheddar, colby, jack or a combination
Lots of salsa
sour cream or plain yogurt
guacamole, if you like it. Recipe below too.

Preheat oven to 425.

Using cooking sheets, lay out half of or the tortillas. On each one spread 3 - 4 tablespoons of salsa, and sprinkle cheese over it, a good handful on each one. Cover with the remaining tortillas, Heat in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese has melted, but don't let tortillas get browned.

Let stand for 5 minutes. Then cut each one in 8 wedges. Serve with salsa and other condiments.

Guacamole:

2 - Hass avocados, just ripe, but not too ripe (you can ripen hard avocados in a paper bag for a couple days)
Minced garlic
garlic powder
onion powder
sea salt
1 TBLS lemon or lime juice

Mash the avocado, mix in the other stuff, DONE! Don't use a food processor, chucky avocado is better.

~Wanda
#3 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I KNEW I liked you! ing

Will write these down, cuz this is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

And hey, the kids cooking sounds great to me...only here at my house, who will teach them??? *snort*

Well, I can start them with your recipe.

Thanks!

#4 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 03:55 PM

I like you too!

And I am known as the Doula Chef!

And I totally love to create and cook, but I hate long winded recipes that make you feel inadequate. I never make anything that takes more than an hour to prepare.

I will try to post some more ideas when I get time, hopefully tomorrow...

I am just a chauffeur today, lots of running around and I have to leave again in a little while.

OH, and BTW, stop eating that microwave popcorn! (unless you get a microwave popper and make it from scratch! I saw your NOW thread.....

Get an air popper, buy some popcorn in the bulk area at Whole Foods, pop some corn, then melt some real butter (or a non-hydrogenated margerine) and drizzle on it and add sea salt or parmesean or anything you want, but don't eat one more bite of that micro stuff, it is terrible for you, full of the hydrogenated fats. Hey, you are my sister from growing up in the 60s and 70s, I need you to be healthy!

~Wanda
#5 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you like me, too!

What about Newman's Own organic microwave popcorn?

SN, if you KNEW how badly I eat, microwave popcorn is the least of it. :

Will be looking forward to more easy recipes!

#6 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 04:54 PM

#7 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 PM

Well, I love to cook and am pretty comitted to healthy eating.
Yet, in the spring/summer/early fall I cook much much less and rely often on convenience foods or fast, easy meals...
(my dh and I run a business that is seasonal, I also have 2 young kids, am a practioner of Oriental Medicine, etc etc etc...so that time of year gets hectic!!)
Some quick, easy meals I like to make are:

chili:
brown 1 lb turkey or beef in a skillet, then transfer to pot
add 1 can cooked, rinsed/drained kidney beans, 1 can crushed tomatoes w/ liquid, and packet of chili seasoning... simmer for 20 minutes
(make a pan of cornbread from a mix to serve on side or some brown rice)
*top w/ shredded cheese, sour cream, minced onions, etc

tacos:
either brown some turkey and add taco seasonings or add taco seasonings to 1 can rinsed and drained black or pinto beans,
have shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, guacamole, diced tomatoes, sour cream, onions, cilantro, etc and fill your choice of taco shells

buy a rotisserie chicken from deli, serve w/ tossed green salad and warm crusty bread w/ butter

baked ravioli:
cook large ravioli, rinse, drain
toss w/ marinara sauce, minced garlic, fresh parsley, shredded parmesan
put in casserole dish, top w/ shredded mozerella
bake at 350 for 30 minutes
serve w/ salad

shrimp and broccoli stirfry:
buy large peeled headless shrimp (let thaw in fridge) and bag of broccoli florets
add 2 Tbsps coconut oil to skillet, once warmed, add shrimp and broccoli,
toss in some crushed garlic, cook for about 8 minutes, stirring often
and then add stirfry seasonings (if in a hurry I use a premade seasoning, such as Annie Chungs shitake stirfry sauce or Thai kitchens peanut sauce)serve over brown rice

Make a big cobb salad:
mixed greens, hardboiled egg, blue cheese, a little cooked bacon, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, red pepper... dressing, yum!!

Wild rice casserole:
cook 1-2 cups wild rice, mix w/ organic cream of mushroom soup, toss in cooked chopped chicken breast, green beans, mushrooms, chedder cheese, salt and pepper, sprinkle top w/ bread crumbs, bake at 350 for 35 minutes

3 bean salad:
mix 1 can cooked garbanzo beans, 1 can cooked kidney beans, 2 cups steamed green beans, a few tablespoons Italian vinegrette, fresh parsley, diced red pepper, 1/4 cup aged parmesan, serve

Salmon patties:
mix 1 large can salmon, diced green onions, a tsp dill, an egg (beaten), 1/2 cup bread crumbs, salt
form into patties and pan fry each side 5 minutes in small bit of canola or coconut oil
serve w/ tartar sauce and whatever sides you choose

Hummus and whole wheat pita bread, greek olives, salad topped w/ feta and roma tomatoes

Chicken-Ceaser wraps:
choose large whole wheat tortillas, fill w/ chicken breast, romaine or spinach, tomatoes, parmesan, ceaser salad dressing...
we also make turkey wraps w/ turkey breast, garbanzo beans, spinach, goat cheese or feta, greek olives, red pepper slices, and Italian dressing
#8 of 11 Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly
Glad you like me, too!

What about Newman's Own organic microwave popcorn?

SN, if you KNEW how badly I eat, microwave popcorn is the least of it. :

Will be looking forward to more easy recipes!

Yes, I am sorry to say, it contains the same hydrogenated oils...

I wanted to share this recipe that I keep in my computer because everyone always asks me for it. And the way I make it changes, LOL. Sometimes I use pinto beans, sometimes I use black beans, I use different cheeses. But it is really good.

I am more likely to make up my own recipes and cook without a recipe actually, so that is why I sat down and typed this one out.

Can you tell I like mexican food? And I don't eat beef or pork or red meats, but I include on the recipe if someone wants to use it instead.

Mexican Casserole

1 lb. ground beef, or ground turkey or cooked turkey or chicken
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups picante sauce or salsa
1 T chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
8 flour tortillas (large - burrito size)
2 cups shredded Cheddar, Monterey Jack or any cheese (8 oz.)
Beans - black beans or pinto beans (2-4 cups cooked)
1 large green pepper, chopped (1 cup)
Chopped Onions (1/2 cup)
Corn - 16 ounces - frozen is fine

In skillet over medium heat, cook ground turkey (or ground beef), peppers/onions until it is browned and crumbly.
Drain off grease. Ground chicken or turkey can be used or cooked diced or shredded chicken or turkey.
(If using already cooked meat, just add meat and pepper to spaghetti sauce.)
Add spaghetti sauce, 1 cup picante sauce and chili powder and other ingredients.
In 3-quart (or 2 - 9 x 9) pans, spread remaining picante sauce. Arrange half of the tortillas in dish. I fold some tortillas in half and make them fit better that way. Top with half of the meat mixture and half the cheese. Repeat the layers. Cover and freeze. Or Bake to serve at 350 degrees
for 20 min. or until hot. Let stand 5 min. Cover when reheating.

Serve with salsa, sour cream/yogurt, guacamole, etc. A little shreaded lettuce and chopped tomatoes are good too.

My kids love this.

#9 of 11 Old 06-23-2005, 07:16 PM

This is a great thread! I had searched for "hate to cook." I wish I loved it, but I'd rather be doing just about anythingelse! DH does enjoy it, but he works himself to fatigue.......

The ideas on here are great so far, but I am posting a request for more simple and quick recipes/ideas. Please take pity on those of us who cringe when they remember supper needs to be made.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#10 of 11 Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Two cookbooks I LOVE:
Weight Watcher's 5 Ingredient/ 15Minute Cookbook-- SUPER fast and easy and healthy! Have the kids help you chop (depending on age) and measure.

Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Cookbook-- I love my crock pot! You can get the ingredients together the night before and put everything together in the morning before going to work ( I don't work ). Many of the meals are easy and quick to prepare, and the smell really gets you going for dinner!

The crock pot can actually be bad for me, since I am home all day. The food starts smelling good WAY before it is ready!
#11 of 11 Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
: writing down all these ideas!

*** please note, the above is not microwave popcorn :LOL

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page