Watered-down milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2005, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here ever watered down milk?

DH and I are big milk drinkers but organic milk is sooo expensive! We normally buy either skim or 2% but the last time I was at the market I noticed that the whole milk is the same price.

If I bought whole milk, could I dilute it with some water to make it more the consistency of 2%? Will it taste funny?

I suppose I could just buy some and experiment, but just wondering if anyone else has tried this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My grandmother always did that for us . . . I don't remember how it tasted though.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 03-16-2005, 04:44 PM

My friend does this with whole raw organic milk. She says her kids don't know the difference. I'm sure if they are used to skim it would be okay.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 PM

The only drawback I could see (maybe I am wrong?) is that diluting the milk and thus the fat will also dilute the nutrional value (calcium, etc.) so you would need to drink twice as much to get the same nutrition. I guess it depends on what you are drinking milk for.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:48 PM

I have diluted organic 1/2 and 1/2 (ran out of milk for cereal) and everyone was in agreement that it was gross. Milk might work better, as it is more watery anyway, but I have not tried it.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 03-17-2005, 11:58 AM

You'd be getting half as much calcium and protein, not just half as much fat. Personally, it seems like something I'd do when I'd tried every other way of economising.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina
You'd be getting half as much calcium and protein, not just half as much fat. Personally, it seems like something I'd do when I'd tried every other way of economising.
I still haven't tried it yet, but the next time I'm at the store I'm going to pick up a gallon of whole milk and experiment.

I'm not concerned about loosing out any nutrition by watering down our milk. We consume A LOT of dairy, eggs, and meat. We could completely cut milk out of the equation and I'm sure that we'd still be getting way more protein and calcium than we really need... :

User Tag List