candida killing diet questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
without writing a large volume :LOL...

vegetarian looking at doing a course of this..

ok or not?

tomatoes
zucchini
summer squash
winter squashes (spaghetti, acorn, etc)
olives
cheese (hard such as romao or parmesan)
cheese (such as cheddar/swiss)
cheese (as in cottage or feta)
butter
beans
lentils
seitan (the way I make it contains only 1/8 cup unbleached flour.. not a LOT of carbs..)
nuts (tree)
nuts (peanut)
quinoa
brown rice
peppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 06:15 PM
cjr

My naturaopath said no rice or to limit it to 1/2cup on occasion, even if it's brown. Quinoa in small servings but more often then rice.
#3 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 06:29 PM

I followed the diet in the book The Yeast Connection.
It worked great for me!! I had severe candida overgrowth. Symptoms included foggy-brain/mental-fuzziness, insomnia, fatigue, constipation, ovarian cyst, food allergies, enviromental allergies, chemical sensativities, abdominal pain, nausea, and MORE!

Anyways, on the diet I followed you couldn't eat dairy, wheat, baked goods, corn and corn meal, white rice, fermented foods, mushrooms, alcohol, coffee, black tea, sugar (includes honey, maple syrup, etc), fruit (for the first few weeks), citrus, peanuts or peanut butter, soy sauce, tofu, tempeh, potatoes, juices, vinegar, tomatoes, and eggs (for the first few weeks).

What I could eat was plenty of lean fish, chicken, and other lean meats (although I see you are a veg, so those choices would be out), unsweetened soy milk, nuts, nut butters, beans, lentils, avocado, vegis (raw, steamed, grilled, etc), brown rice, millet, quinoa, barley, amaranth, buckwheat, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, tahini, herbal teas, lemons, limes, garlic, onions, fresh and dried herbs...

After a few weeks I could add some fruit (not super sweet & sticky fruit like bananas, mangoes, papaya, etc), eggs, miso, yams, tomatoes, and tempeh.

I stayed on it for about 6 months before I reintroduced dairy, tofu, more fruits, tomatoes, and any bread products.
At first I stuck to yeast-free breads, such as those by French Meadow Bakery.

Now, 6 years later, I am candida-free, feeling great... yet still limit sweets, dairy, starches, and citrus.

Another good tip is to eat lots of garlic and be sure to take high-doses of probiotics daily. Another good supplement that helped me is Pau D'arco.
#4 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!

do you know of (or does that book have info on) any connection between GERD and candida? that's my only *personal* concern (as I really don't have any of the other symptoms). I'm kind of grasping at straws.. but a trial of candida-killing diet is easier and safer for me than trying another endoscopy to check for GERD/Barrets/etc.
#5 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 PM

It's been a while since I read the book... the author does draw a lot of connections between many ailments and diseases and candida.
It's a pretty easy book to find, it may be worth checking out.
Have you tried acupuncture and/or Chinese herbs for your problems? I find Chinese medicine really effective at many troubeling symptoms.
#6 of 11 Old 03-15-2005, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

yes, with no luck.

I'm SURE that part of it is mechanical, as I had severe hyperemesis with my twins pregnancy and that HAD to have weakened my gastric sphincter.. nonetheless, the info I read on the rhizobium of candida piercing the intestines and allowing leakage made me wonder if that might not be the case in my stomach/esophagus.
#7 of 11 Old 03-16-2005, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I remember correctly from the Body Ecology diet - the only grains allowed were millet and buckwheat. No dairy products except yogurt and kefir. Veggies are okay but no fruit. I'm not sure about beans or nuts.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#8 of 11 Old 03-16-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

but what about the "veggies" that are actually fruit (those listed above)?
#9 of 11 Old 03-16-2005, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure summer squash and zucchini are fine - I think tomato is a no,no.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#10 of 11 Old 03-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Here is a great website with tons of info and lists of foods that are ok and no no's

http://wholeapproach.com/diet/foodlists.html

scroll down to the bottom and you can click on either the Adobe or Acrobat to dowload the list.
#11 of 11 Old 03-17-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!

really quick.. can anyone explain the gluten aspect? pure gluten is protein so I'm not sure why it's included, unless there is an attempt to treat/diagnose gluten intolerance or allergy too?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page