anyone have a recipie for.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-05-2002, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sag paneer-
it's an indian spinach with cheese cube dish.
it is my absolute favorite and i would love to make it organic.
#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2002, 12:10 AM

I have never made it, but I do remember seeing a recipe for saag paneer in "The Joy of Cooking". I have the new version, and the recipe is on p. 417. I just read it and it doesn't quite look like what I've eaten at my favorite Indian restaurant (theirs is somewhat creamy), but it does look good!

There should be a recipe in just about any Indian cookbook, as well, but I find I use The Joy of Cooking so often it could be my only cookbook if I had to go that route!

Have fun!
Jessikate
#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2002, 05:08 PM

It's also my most favorite Indian dish!!! But I am pretty sure it is called Palak Paneer.

I did a Google search on it and there were lots of sites with recipes for it. I have made it before and made my own cheese (paneer) for it. The reipe below calls for using ricotta, but others just state paneer. Perhaps if you do a search on paneer you'll find something telling you how to make it. Good luck!!!

Ingredients
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
2 dried red chilie peppers
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3/4 cup sour cream
3 pounds fresh spinach, torn
1 large tomato, quartered
4 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves
8 ounces ricotta cheese
coarse sea salt to taste

Directions
1 In a large saucepan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and saute garlic, 1/2 tablespoon of ginger, red chilies (optional ingredient) and onion until brown. Mix in the cumin, coriander, turmeric and sour cream (add more or less to achieve desired creaminess). Add the spinach, handfuls at a time until it is cooked down, about 15 minutes total. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2 Pour spinach mixture into a blender or food processor and add the tomato, the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of ginger, and cilantro (add more or less according to taste). Blend for 15 to 30 seconds, or until the spinach is finely chopped. Pour back into the saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
3 In a medium frying pan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, and fry cheese until browned; drain and add to spinach. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Season with salt to taste.
#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2002, 11:00 PM

Sag/Palak, same veg different names so it will depend on what region of India. It was one of my favs too until I had to go dairy free.
#5 of 5 Old 12-22-2002, 03:11 AM

She is terrific! I think she still has a restaurant in NYC and she's an actress, too. We have her book: "Quick and Easy Indian Cooking"

It's fabulous, we use it all the time. It helps also, to have Indian spices available nearby but you all who don't live near Indian markets can get them mail order.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page