Do you eat organic/natural foods and vaccinate your children? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 157 Old 05-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I do eat organic/natural foods and my children are partial vaccinated....
#122 of 157 Old 05-07-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama
We eat organic whenever I can get it ... we live in a small town so it's hard to do. I do like to travel to a Whole Foods once a month or so, but it's two hours away.

Alex was fully vaxed ... he's now on the Autistic spectrum. Was it connected? I'll never know. My next child will be selectively vaxed with delays.
DITTO

4 yo DS was fully vaxed up until 17 mos when he had a reaction and speech stopped (what little he had at 17 mos). He started in Early Intervention at 19 mos, dx'd as being on the spectrum at 35 months. Now in behavior mod and homeschooled. 2 yo DD was supposed to not be vax'd but was vax'd at birth unfortunately for HepB (grrrr) and rec'd her 2 and 4 mos then we stopped. baby #3 will not be vax'd.

We eat prob more organic now because of DS and having be GFCF and "as clean as possible."
#123 of 157 Old 05-07-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Ummm, MT, I was joking around. :
Yeah, I know you were.

But see, the issue here is that for others people pulling out their qualifications seems to mean everything.

Yesterday in the paper was this article about Condalisa Rice or however you spell her name.

They were talking about how well she dresses and how much credibility that gives her. I was thinking about how it would be if someone with impeccable facts and absolutely 100% correct information, would turn up at a media do in jeans and a slouch shirt.

Would the media take one look at them and decide that because of their clothes they had nothing useful to say, and were discreditted?

Absolutely. Because in the world we live in, it seems that its the clothes, the make-up, the wall paper, the street you live in, the car you drive, the shoes you wear, and the accessories (like the prize bull ribbons you see around baby's heads these days) that appear to matter most.

The superstructure under all that can be as crap as you like, but so long as you have the right "letters and looks" then you will be believed.

Its a sad, but true indictment on life today.

And that, sadly, is what many mothers look for, when looking at immunisation information. Is it presented nicely, on a glossy up-market brochure? Does it have the right letters oozing from the corners? Is it from the "right" sources?

When all that just might be for show, and have no substance....

No need to hide under a chair my dear.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#124 of 157 Old 05-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
What do you base proven on? Just curious. Oh, yes, they do still vaccinate for polio. I hope that you do know that just because a child was vaccinated doesn't mean that they are 100% protected and will never get that disease. Just ask all the mamas of vaccinated children who have gotten Whooping Cough in the last couple years.

Ohh, ooh. Meee! Both my babies had Whooping Cough last summer. My 3yo DD (fully vaxed) and 8 mo DS (no vax). Hmmm.
#125 of 157 Old 05-08-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I am so sorry. That must have been really hard, especially with your littlest one. But, ya know, your youngest must have ruined the "herd immunity". :LOL Whatever, that's a bunch of junk. Hope they are doing great now!!!
#126 of 157 Old 05-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Yes my dd had gotten her pertussis/whooping cough vax (I'm not sure how many there are, but she at least had one. We are on a delayed/modified schedule) and there was a case at her preschool. That's when I learned vaxing does not prevent it. If you are really exposed, you hopefully just get a milder case of it.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#127 of 157 Old 05-09-2005, 02:48 AM

WOW!
I've just sat and read this WHOLE thread with much interest....we eat organic about 50% of the time (I would eat more organic if we could afford it!) and NO vaccines here either.
I had the pleasure of completeing a practitioners diploma in Natural Nutrition in London, England a few years back. It was based on holistic, naturopathic lines and our teacher (the founder of the college) who has been in her profession for 40+ years, first as a nurse (in the hospital that invented antibiotics!) and then as a practicing nutritionist. She has treated hundereds of people, and can first handedly attest to the dangers of vaccines.
She believes them to be hugely SUPPRESSIVE to our bodies natural mechanisims, and has seen time and time again cases of illnesses showing up after vaccines were administered...for example anorexia nervosa within 6 months of the BCG vaccine (a routine TB vaccine given to adolecents in the UK).

If you trace an individuals case history, and I have done this on numerous occasions, you can actually see the forms of suppressive treatments like antibiotic use, vaccines etc and the repercussions in their health picture. It will vary for each individual depending on their inherent weaknesses etc...

I could go on...not sure if anyone is still reading this thread...

anyway, I also learned not to live my life based on fear (what if...)
and to trust in the integrity of my body and to treat it with respect.
#128 of 157 Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvie
I could go on...not sure if anyone is still reading this thread...
: I am still here! Sounds like you have a lot to offer on these boards!
#129 of 157 Old 05-09-2005, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvie
....I also learned not to live my life based on fear (what if...)
and to trust in the integrity of my body and to treat it with respect.
Me too!

PS: I'm still reading.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#130 of 157 Old 05-09-2005, 11:29 AM

We try to eat all organic. My dd is fully vaxed. My ds had been given only the first round when after that I stopped getting him vaxed because of a "feeling" I had. Then after more research on the web I became so confused. DH thinks that we should fully vax ds. I don't agree and so I haven't done anything. If anything I think I will selectively vax ds. There seems to be so many scare tactics with vax's used by the med profession. I just wish I could find some straight answers instead of only hearing absolutes like "don't vax!" or "don't question us, just vax!" When I hear an absolute I tend to wonder what someone is up to.
#131 of 157 Old 05-09-2005, 01:31 PM

We eat organically/naturally as much as we can...

My dd1 is fully vaxxed, that was before I knew any better and before we ate naturally...

Dd2 is almost fully vaxxed with the exception of the third Prevnar and her boosters which she won't be getting. We started getting into wating naturally then.

Dd 3 is not vaxxed with the exception of 2 hepB shots, I could kick myself now.. She won't be getting any more. Now we eat naturally as much as we can..

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#132 of 157 Old 05-19-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

#133 of 157 Old 07-08-2005, 08:34 PM

:

DD was fed all almost entirely organics her first year of life, and I feel like for not doing any vaccine reserach. She was vaxed through age 15 months, but no more. When I went to the doctor he admitted that you are basically playing games with probability. If I had understood what was in the shots or how they worked I would have started my research much sooner.

Unfortunately, like many others I meet, I never even knew there was another side to the vax issue. With organics, it just seemed like an obviously better choice, and information on organic foods versus conventional is widely publicized and available. Unfortunately, the vax debate does not seem to be the same way, so many are making uneducated choices out of ignorance like I did.

Interesting thread. I'm particularly curious if people who are vegetarians/vegans get immunizations cultured in animal cells? Of course, until about 2 months ago, I had no idea what was in the vaxes myself...

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#134 of 157 Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=tempestjewelI feel like for not doing any vaccine reserach...Unfortunately, like many others I meet, I never even knew there was another side to the vax issue. [/QUOTE]

Forgive me for picking and choosing which part of your quote to put in here...

I, too, didn't know until recently what was in vax's. It makes me so mad that I've fully vaxed my kids. My DH and I are in discussion right now about what we will do in the future.

As far as organic foods go, we eat them as much as possible...when we can afford it. We are changing our lifestyle very drastically, but I feel like it's worth it!
#135 of 157 Old 07-09-2005, 01:22 PM

We eat mostly organic foods, I'd say over 75%.

Both kids are selectively and delayed vax.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#136 of 157 Old 08-02-2005, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

just bumping up for some long-awaited answers....
#137 of 157 Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM

I'm sitting here nearly in tears because I have two fully vaccinated DDs. I just never knew the flip side and I trusted my docs. I'm still struggling with this, and I know DH will be firmly against NOT vaccinating. We skipped the "optional" shots (chicken pox), but did give youngest DD the flu shot last year (we won't be doing that again). We have recently turned to organic foods (as much as possible financially and within the limits of our geography). But I'm still a sucker for eating out!

Looks like I have some reading to do...it's all so overwhelming!
#138 of 157 Old 08-03-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiikeri
I'm sitting here nearly in tears because I have two fully vaccinated DDs. I just never knew the flip side and I trusted my docs. I'm still struggling with this, and I know DH will be firmly against NOT vaccinating. We skipped the "optional" shots (chicken pox), but did give youngest DD the flu shot last year (we won't be doing that again). We have recently turned to organic foods (as much as possible financially and within the limits of our geography). But I'm still a sucker for eating out!

Looks like I have some reading to do...it's all so overwhelming!
please don't cry. You can't look back, just forward now. Almost all of us trusted our docs at one time or another. Some just got to the root of things a little late. I am one of them. Dd was vaxed 'till a bad reaction at 6 months. Ds has none, thankfully. Welcome to MDC!!! There's plenty of information here for you. Both sides.
#139 of 157 Old 08-03-2005, 04:17 PM

Yes, we eat organic as much as possible and yes my kids are vaccinated.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#140 of 157 Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 PM

We converted from the SAD to a NT-style 100% organic diet about 15 mos ago. DS (#1) was fully vaxed by then. DD (#2) was up-to-date on her vaxes (to 9mos old), but we immediately stopped. DC (#3), due in Dec, will receive none, nada, zilcho, zero . . .
#141 of 157 Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

We eat as much organic as we can and dd is fully vaxed. Interesting thread.
#142 of 157 Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 PM

we eat organic/naturally whenever possible and do not vax. dd's are 5 and 2.5 and are very healthy.
#143 of 157 Old 10-19-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

:
#144 of 157 Old 10-19-2005, 03:50 PM

we eat as healthy as we can and as much organics as we can afford and no vaxes
#145 of 157 Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 AM

organic and no vax
#146 of 157 Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 AM

We do healthy & organic, though not exclusively organic. We also vax. Not absolutely all vaxes but almost all of them.

I agree with the pp who said that she distrusts absolutist arguments.

I believe a lot of the anti-vax arguments. I believe in vaccine injury, for example, and the ruthlessness of pharmecutical companies in marketing their imperfectly tested & constantly "improved" products. I even believe that improved living conditions & medical care make many of the diseases we vax against not very dangerous for those of us living middle-class urban American lives.

But I do believe in herd immunity. And I do believe that vaccinations, however imperfect, are an important weapon in protecting the health of all the world's children. Someday, maybe, they won't be. Because we'll figure out something better. Eradicate poverty. Give decent health care to all. Make it so we don't have to use chemicals to prevent disease.

Maybe this is a weird reason, but seriously, this is why I vax. I do think I'm doing the right thing by my kid, but this bigger issue is always looming in my mind.
#147 of 157 Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 AM

organic as much as possible, vax
#148 of 157 Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Pen

Organic -yes, Vax -no more
BTW, I talked to my doc about organic food and stuff and he said : well, if it makes you feel better but it's not going to make any difference and it's not really worth the expense. Also, when I asked about me not being able to walk, difficultly with speech etc. a week after the flu shot -he said it was a coincidence. Perhaps it was
#149 of 157 Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 AM

We eat about 90% organic, and we don't vax. Well, she had her 2 month shots before I found MDC , but that is it.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#150 of 157 Old 11-01-2005, 09:18 PM

Wow, I haven't looked at this thread for a while! I didn't realise that people were still replying.

Since some posters had asked me what I based my "how vaccines work" thinking on, and I don't think I responded, it wasn't intended to be rude, I just forgot about the thread.

I can't be an expert in everything. I can't know everything. None of us can, that's why our diversified school system and market place are such vital aspects of our prosperous society.

There are people who study and think about and test and run experiments on these issues for lifetimes, and I am very thankful for that. When it comes to my child's health, I'm going to cautiously trust the science of medicine that makes sense to me.

To use birth for an example, I don't see pregnancy or birth as a medical situation in most cases. So, if my pregnancies are "normal" and my labour is going well, I want to deliver my babies at home, without drugs and with very minimal intervention from a midwife. This makes sense to me.

To use organic food as another example, I have seen what pesticides and herbicides do to bugs and weeds, they poison and retard their growth. Scientists and doctors (who understand microbiology better than I do) do say that they are harmful to pregnant women, foetuses and children. Scientists are also learning that organic food is more nutrient-dense. This makes sense to me, so, I try to eat organically for health reasons. I also eat organically for environmental reasons.

Knowing the very basics about the immune system, I took biology in high school and my sisters all have their degrees in science, the introduction of a pathogen to the bloodstream producing antibodies and immune system memory, makes sense to me.

Here are some links I found that explain the very basics better than I can:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vac...ORCESSL=false&

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L1D25261C

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/final/immun/immun.htm

It's true that WHEN the Small Pox vaccine was developed it wasn't understood HOW it worked - it just worked. We know more about the immune system now, and we know HOW the vaccine works, that's how other vaccines were developed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page