Do you eat organic/natural foods and vaccinate your children? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trinitty, it sounds like you have read some basics. So, what do you think about the SV40 virus and cancer then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM

Can you remind me what that is?

I remember reading about that when this thread was first started, and I talked about it with the docs that I know.... and I can't remember where it went from there.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitty
Can you remind me what that is?

I remember reading about that when this thread was first started, and I talked about it with the docs that I know.... and I can't remember where it went from there.
The SV40 virus is a simian virus that is known to cause cancer at a high rate and contaminated the polio vaccine from it's beginning up to the year 2000 and possibly still does.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 PM

Could you please post links for that?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

A good place to start is the book The Virus and The Vaccine. There's more info in there than any links would have.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon
Maybe this is a weird reason, but seriously, this is why I vax. I do think I'm doing the right thing by my kid, but this bigger issue is always looming in my mind.
I don't think the concept of "herd immunity" is a wierd reason at all! My reason for not vaccinating is along the same lines - although I think there are risks to the vaccines, it's the changes in the epidemiology of diseases and the potential longrun impact on humanity that is my biggest reason to not vaccinate.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 PM

We eat a lot of organics (actually, we grow quite a bit of our food) and DD is fully vaxed, though we delayed some of them.

I don't know if anyone else has pointed this out, but fears about the safety of the food are not the only reason people eat organic. I am actually not that concerned about the health effects of pesticides in my food, though I AM concerned about the health effects for those who apply them and/or drink water contaminated by them. My desire to buy organic food is much more about supporting a certain style of agriculture and about protecting the environment than fear about my family's health. As organics become more and more mainstream, this is getting interesting...at times I choose to support small local growers who may or may not be organic rather than organics from huge distant corporate farms thousands of miles away.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

User Tag List