Do you eat organic/natural foods and vaccinate your children? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious about this. I am just wondering how many people eat organically/naturally and choose to vaccinate their children.
#2 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 PM

DS was fully vaxed. DD has been selectively vaxed up to 6 months. I finally told DH that I want to delay any further vax until she's at least 2 years old.

We originally wanted her to get the DPT series because DH's workplace had several reported cases of whooping cough and he was directly exposed for long periods of time. He was tested and luckily didn't contract the disease.

--Kari
#3 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 06:35 PM

We eat organic I'd say 75% of the time - if we eat at a restaurant or at other people's homes, we eat conventionally. And we order pizza once a week!
DD is 5 months and has had no vax yet. We are delaying and selectively vaccinating.
#4 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 07:26 PM

We eat organic 100% of the time at home and usually bring organic food for DD when we visit other homes. We have a very "natural" home, we don't use any chemicals. She has been fully vaxed and it was a decision carefully discuss with our ped.
#5 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Yes, natural / organic foods and everyone's vaccinated... Why? Are they usually mutually exclusive?
#6 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 PM

we eat organic 80% of the time. my dd is 7 months and is not vaxed with the exception of one hep b shot, three days after birth.
#7 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 PM

We eat about 90% organic, DS is delayed/selectively vaxed.
#8 of 157 Old 04-15-2005, 10:38 PM

yes, and yes.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#9 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 12:49 AM

Yes, though we vax selectively and on a delayed schedule.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#10 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 01:05 AM

we eat organic / natural whenever possible, and our kids are vaccinated.
#11 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 02:22 AM

we eat as much organic as possible, and no, my kids aren't vaxed.
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#12 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodEats
Yes, natural / organic foods and everyone's vaccinated... Why? Are they usually mutually exclusive?
No, I wouldn't think so. I was just curious to know. My thoughts were, after extensive research on food and vaccines (separately), that vaccines contain ingredients
that would get a food distributor shut down if they had those things in their food. So I personally don't understand how one would do both, but it's not any of my business, nor do I really even want to know, what others reasons are for their choices.

I was actually thinking about it because a while back I saw that Barbara Walter's special interviewing the Bush twins. In that show, there was a part where they were talking about how Laura Bush was so fussy about them having natural stuff and making them all their own baby food from only organic foods and such. They went on about other things and natural lifestyle. Knowing that Bush is pro-vax, I started to wonder if they had been vaxed or not. Then I was wondering how many others eat the same way we do and choose to vaccinate. The reason I posted in on here to ask is because literally every single family in know personally that eats organically, does not vaccinate either.

Just be clear though, I am not knocking anyone's decisions. Like I said before, it's none of my business why people do what they do.
#13 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 10:00 AM

hmmm, most of the people I know that eat naturally/organically are selectively vaxed.

#14 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom
hmmm, most of the people I know that eat naturally/organically are selectively vaxed.
That's why I wanted to ask here.
#15 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 07:29 PM

Interesting. Perhaps it's because those who typically serve whole, organic foods are health research nuts (I know I am) and tend to make more considered decisions regarding family health.
That is interesting, though... I'd never thought of food and vaccination together. Hmmmmm.
#16 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 08:02 PM

I am a vegan. I eat natural foods. My son is not vaxed.
#17 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
... I'd never thought of food and vaccination together.
Really? Then I am guessing you haven't heard of the talk of vaccines being in foods for "easy administration". More like sneaky administration than easy. Hopefully that will never happen, but I woudn't be surprised of anything anymore.
#18 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM

I buy nearly 100% organic (although my children are 'out in the world', so do not eat organic 100%). My two youngest are totaly unvax'd. My second child was vax'd before she was placed in my arms via adoption, and my oldest (16) just had Hep B. (which went against my wishes) but was unvax'd prior.
#19 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Really? Then I am guessing you haven't heard of the talk of vaccines being in foods for "easy administration". More like sneaky administration than easy. Hopefully that will never happen, but I woudn't be surprised of anything anymore.
No, I must have missed that. That's appalling. We vaccinate because we prefer to try to prevent the majority of serious diseases, rather than taking the risk of having to treat them, but to remove a parent's choice is just... well, it's just an appalling idea.

What's next, nutrition via IV instead of eating? I mean, if the FDA could supply the required nutrition for everyone that way, the national obesity problem would be all but solved.
#20 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 10:37 PM

Baby is due tomorrow (if he cooperatres and comes on his due date but he will be eating organcially and non-GMO as my hubbby & I already eat this way. Regarding the Vaccination, I do not know yet. I want to speak w/ my midwife regarding that issue to get her perspective.
#21 of 157 Old 04-16-2005, 10:57 PM

Kelly, I do see your point and am also horrified at the vax in food thing-hadn't heard anything about that. I mostly or selectively vax b/c of the same reasons that goodeats discussed, but certainly am not thrilled with the things in vaccines. I am sure most informed vaccinating parents feel that way. I don't take the 'toxins' in vaccines lightly. I just think that this is best for my family as is eating naturally/organically.

#22 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's next, nutrition via IV instead of eating? I mean, if the FDA could supply the required nutrition for everyone that way, the national obesity problem would be all but solved.
Apparently there are some scientists that predict that all nutrition, in the future, will be able to be obtained simply in pill form. Somehow I highly doubt this will be appropriate nutrition, but I am sure the gov't will!
#23 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom
Kelly, I do see your point and am also horrified at the vax in food thing-hadn't heard anything about that. I mostly or selectively vax b/c of the same reasons that goodeats discussed, but certainly am not thrilled with the things in vaccines. I am sure most informed vaccinating parents feel that way. I don't take the 'toxins' in vaccines lightly. I just think that this is best for my family as is eating naturally/organically.
I too, didn't like the things in them when dd was a baby but did it anyway. She did receive vax's until she was 6m months old. Then things went bad and she had a pretty nasty reaction to the round at 6 months. I thank God that it doesn't seem to be a severe life altering reaction, but she does now have a wheat allergy that is suspected to be related to that event. In a 3 year old's mind, that is severe :LOL I myself have an auto-immune disease that is directly related to the Hep B vax I got in high school, and I am finding out that a number of other classmates of mine have the exact same thing as well.

I hope you don't think that I think anyone who is informed takes these things lightly. I cried each time dd got her shots because I didn't want her to get them, but I was also afraid for her not too. Now, due to the above mentioned events, we have made the decisions that we have.
#24 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 AM

We eat mostly natural and organic foods, almost no processed foods, and I'm working on cutting out sugar, or at least severely limiting it. We have vaccinated both of our children, although we have delayed some of the vaccinations (ie. not having all 4 done at a particular well-check but coming back later for the ones we skipped.
Of course as a second-guessing Mom, I wonder about these decisions all the time but we felt this was best for us.

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
#25 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 10:06 AM

We eat a good amount of organic and minimize processed things. Our children are selectively vaxed.
#26 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 AM

We eat 90% organic and do not vax....
#27 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 04:31 PM

My children eat whole foods (very little processed) and organic when possible and they are and will be completely vax'd...
#28 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 PM

We eat whole foods, organic as much as possible and no vax for the kids.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#29 of 157 Old 04-17-2005, 08:41 PM

my mom's a pediatrician, so she vaxed my sister and I completely, but we also ate about 80% organic. same with all the partners in her office.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#30 of 157 Old 04-18-2005, 12:05 PM

Vegan, whole foods, organic, selectively-vaxed.

ETA: While I am confident in our dietary decisions, I remain conflicted on the vax issue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page