please give me some easy, quick, healthy spring recipes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that can be prepared with minimal space requirements.

i have very little room right now to work in and (besides driving me ) i'm finding that it's limiting the amount of healthy food i've been making.

we've been resorting to fresh fruit, some fresh raw veggies, yogurt and pbj on whole wheat bread almost constantly, and it's making me batty, because here in Califorina we have all this wonderful spring produce now... and i'm not using any of it. :

the less pots / pans / preparation needed, the better.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 02:03 AM

I couldn't believe how good this cold rice dish is! And it basically took one pot for the rice (and same pot later for the peas) and a bowl to mix it up in.

-------------------------
Chilled Dilled Rice

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dill weed)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
1 red (or green) pepper, chopped
8 oz. cooked english peas

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and chill before serving.
Makes 4-6 servings.

calories 123 , fat 2g carbohydrate 24g , fiber 1, Cholesterol 198mg
Weight Watchers - 2 Points
#3 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 AM

You can make a nice quinoa salad with grain cooked according to the package instructions, olive oil & lemon juice to taste (and use the lemon zest, if you can find a fine grater) and your choice of cut up raw veggies (cucumbers, shredded spinach, grape tomatoes are our favorites)... I also like to add wheat berries, but that's not so quick.

WW angel hair is great with spinach "scampi" - sautee the spinach in olive oil with nearly illegal amounts of garlic (we loooooooove garlic), add halved grape tomatoes at the end, after the spinach is wilted. Fork the pasta directly from the water (let it drain a little) into the spinach & toss. Salt, pepper and parmesan to taste.

Grill asparagus - toss with olive oil (I'm beginning to see a trend here... ) and cook in a grill pan or on an actual grill until tender and the ends are a little crunchy. Sea salt & pepper to taste.

Use spring greens for a salad and throw a poached egg on top. Use a nice warm dressing (like a warm mustard dressing) and serve with garlic bread or baguette slices topped with chevre and olive tapenade (my daughters' favorite).
#4 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 11:10 AM

GoodEats, I wanna come have dinner at your house! Everything you mention sounds soooo delicious.

Just wanted to add that I do a salad similar to your quinoa version, but with couscous...usually I put in mushrooms, zucchini, tomato, black olives, scallions, and cucumber. You can put the veggies in with the couscous for the five minutes of steaming to cook them slightly, or not. This is one of those great add-whatever-you-have-on-hand recipes that is one of our staples in the summer. And, really, it would work with any grain, wouldn't it ? Barley, or brown rice, or orzo...just put the vegetables in partway through the cooking to make it a one-pot dish.

HTH!
~Nick
#5 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 11:58 AM

:

Mama to 3:
#6 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 01:22 PM

French onion soup? (it's not quick, but there's not a lot of hands-on time involved)

Slice onions as thin as possible (I use about 8-10 medium/small for enough soup for 4 people) and sautee in olive oil until they've carmelized (this takes a while, be patient). Deglaze the pot with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of port (or brandy, or wine or a good full bodied beer), add tarragon and a quart of mushroom stock (or beef or chicken or "no chicken") and simmer until the flavors meld - about 30 minutes - ladle into crocks, top with a piece of crusty bread and your favorite cheese and broil until the cheese melts.

Omelets?

Sautee your spring favorites and slap 'em into an omelet.

Quiche?

Same thing, just in the oven.

Kabobs?

Soak the skewers first (or use metal) and string on whatever is fresh at the farmers' market, tossed with olive oil and your favorite herbs/spices. Grill or broil and server with couscous and a sauce (say... plain yogurt, fresh mint, minced onion and a little lemon juice?) or just a squeeze of citrus (I like lime if I used chilies, lemon or orange with Indian/West Indies curries, etc.)

Cheese and fruit plate?

Sometimes when it's too hot to cook or eat, we have a cheese and fruit plate with a couple of cheeses (maybe brie or camembert, harvarti, a horseradish cheddar), a baguette and whatever's in season locally. Sometimes I also add some hummus.

It's really easy to get stuck in a rut... I'm a foodie - I love food and think about it in some way or another probably the majority of my day - and we still get into food ruts. It helps to plan around what is in season at any given point, then you can't get too entrenched in any habit.

oh, and, just in case you start wondering, I have the worst kitchen in the history of the world... 10 inches of working counter space between the stove and sink. There IS other counter space, but it is more deep than long and houses such necessities as my coffee pot and is, thus, unusable. It's like cooking on a small boat, but without the pleasant swaying motion.
#7 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrlNick
GoodEats, I wanna come have dinner at your house! Everything you mention sounds soooo delicious.

~Nick
Me too!
#8 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
:
best suggestion i've seen yet... :LOL

minimal = little or no chopping / peeling / etc....

can you prepare it w/ less than four or five ingredients? less than three utensils? (knife, large spoon, pot = three).....
#9 of 9 Old 04-16-2005, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap
Me too!
Aww. You guys are sweet. It's funny, my family usually does the "Geez, again?!" when I mention most of those. Except grilled asparagus. That could be eaten every night of the week, in season or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page