I'm so excited!! Trader Joe's is opening a store near me next week!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2002, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No more road trips to Columbus. I just love the selection (a lot of organics) and prices. I'm already looking forward to playing hooky from work and spending the morning shopping!!!

My friend had these totally delicious oatmeal choc chip cookies. I think they came frozen and she baked them in her oven. OMG, they're the last thing I need, but sooooooooo goooooooooood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2002, 07:04 PM

I know where you're coming from! I was so excited when we got our TJs. We had a big party -- a blind wine tasting where everybody had to bring an appetizer and a bottle of wine from TJ's that cost less than $12. We handed out little tasting notes and we all guessed what we were drinking and how much it cost. It was a great way for all of us to try things out without having to buy everything ourselves. Happy shopping!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:05 AM

Trader Joes is FINALLY coming to michigan and I could not be happier!!!! We do not have any here! There is a sign up and I'm not sure when they plan on opening. I spend a fortune each week at whole foods and this trader joes is opening up right across the street. What more could I ask for????? So excited becasue I love that store!
Old 10-28-2002, 01:36 PM

I just learned that they have a 2 year goal of making al their TJ brand food with non genetically modified food, as well as not selling any other food with GMO in it. Way cool! Wish mine wasn't 50 minutes away!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bellamama
Trader Joes is FINALLY coming to michigan and I could not be happier!!!! We do not have any here! There is a sign up and I'm not sure when they plan on opening. I spend a fortune each week at whole foods and this trader joes is opening up right across the street. What more could I ask for????? So excited becasue I love that store!
Do you know that I almost wrecked when I saw it last week? I was driving east on 14 Mile and saw the Trader Joe sign. I have never been to one, but the people here sure seem to love it. I pulled in the parking lot and called my one friend who would know what a TJ was. I can't wait until they open, I hope they carry more veg staples. WFM seems more gourmet leaning and I am trying to feed three kids.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:15 PM

Where is the one in Michigan going to be? I also spend way too much money at Whole Foods!

Thanks!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 10-30-2002, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

MirandaW LOL. Isn't it funny how the mundane is exciting???
Old 10-30-2002, 05:33 PM

Amy,

They are putting ones in Royal Oak and in Farmington Hills. The one in Farmington Hills will be on 14 Mile near Orchard Lake Rd. I don't know where the one in RO will be. Here's the link: http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/index.asp.

I'm suprised there isn't one closer to you. :
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM

Awesome, thanks! Orchard and 14 mile isn't far. That's where I go for Whole Foods anyway! Worth the drive!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 10-30-2002, 05:43 PM

OK, now don't think I'm stupid but explain to me how it works. Is it a co op or can anyone shop there?:

Old 10-30-2002, 05:49 PM

I miss Trader Joe's
It was my *one* major complaint when I moved from Southern California to the desolate midwest!
Trader Joe's is a grocery store that makes money from the wonderful wines they sell so the organic food is *cheap, cheap, cheap* They've got great selection on everything, including the very best frozen fish around!
Incredibly envious of you who only have to drive 50 minutes instead of 1200 miles!

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 10-30-2002, 05:49 PM

I just went through their web site and its a "regular" grocery store. I hope they have more of the staples that we use at a more reasonable price. And maybe better produce. I am so sick of icky, overpriced produce.

BTW - You really drive that far for groceries? I live near M-5 and I can't believe I do my shopping there.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:51 PM

Can I send you something hahamommy? Would that help you feel better? s

If we can get one here in Michigan, surely one is coming near you.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:36 PM

I go to Whole Foods about twice/month. Sometimes more. It's really only 15 minutes. If I go during the week, mid morning it's not a bad drive. Also, after 7:30 at night isn't too bad. Sometimes I drop the kids and dh off at the gym and go from there. Then it's only like a 10 minute drive. Well worth it!

Old 10-31-2002, 08:24 PM

TJ's food is also cheap because they pay all their suppliers in cash so they are in really good standing with them...
Old 11-01-2002, 01:28 AM

TJs also uses private labeled foods and products extensively. They supposedly have the best selection of private label (generic brand) products around, which means their items are quite a savings. Makes them a nice profit as well. I read an article about them in a merchandising journal. Pretty impressive I thought.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 11-01-2002, 09:15 AM

There's one opening on the north side of Chicago in two weeks! Yea!!! I still haven't been to one but I'm looking forward to it being so close.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:30 PM
pie

ekblad it takes a little getting used to shopping at TJ's. They don't have typical grocery store fare. Lots of them are getting better at selling more produce, etc, but the one thing you will notice is that, for example, you cannot buy one orange. You have to buy a whole bag. Kind of like Cosco but not so big! And they sell a lot of organics. I get organic eggs there for the same price I could get a normal box at normal price at the grocery store. THey have so many interesting cereals (my dad's company supplies them with a lot of their cereals and other goods) and frozen foods. I don't do a ton of frozen foods but sometimes it is so nice to just get one of their vegan burritos out to eat.

They sell mostly natural, and some organic products. Organic butter, etc. Not much bulk or anything, but the prices can be very good.

The only complaint I have is that sometimes I buy the red bell peppers and get them home and they are all moldy inside. But at about two fifty a package of three red bell peppers, I gladly take them back. Oh they have a good brand of fair trade coffee there too.

I love TJ's

You guys need to try the Barefoot wines. Like three bucks a bottle but REALLY good.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:09 PM

I'm so depressed--- are we ever getting one in Colorado? That's one of the things I miss most about living in the San Jose area, TJ's everywhere! Right now I make a monthly trip about 120 miles roundtrip to Whole Foods. Maybe I'll have to move back home to MI- The Royal Oak Trader Joes looks about 4 miles from my mom and sister .

Miranda, their strength isn't really fresh produce. Think health food store cereal, gourmet chips under the trader joe's name, non sorbate dried fruit, lots of good priced frozen convenience foods like low fat raviolis and low fat burritos, gourmet chocolates, cheap dried pastas and sauces, various packaged ethnic foods all at good prices. Oh, and great prices for wines and beer- Sometimes they get a particular item in stock for a great price and that's it once it's sold out. Oh yeah, frozen fish and veggies for great prices.

I am stocking up my suitcase when we go home for Christmas.
Here's an article on the MI locations that I sent to my best friend the other day from the 10/22 Detroit Free Press (didn't save the link):

Trader Joe's is on the way to metro Detroit

Foodie alert: The California-based Trader Joe's chain of specialty food stores will arrive in metro Detroit this fall. Look for stores to open next month at 27800 Woodward, at Catalpa Street, in Royal Oak and at 31221 W. Fourteen Mile in Farmington Hills. The chain offers everything from high-end imported goods and heat-and-eat meals to fresh breads, organics and beverages.

Mamapie, yes, the Barefoot wines are a great deal- used to get them a lot when I first started going to TJ's about 5-6 years ago, especially the red.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:30 PM
pie

mmmmm barefoot merlot. Mmmmmmm

Okay but I want to add, the produce is getting MUCH better. You can always find some decent organic tomatoes and bananas, for example. And I like the big packs of zuchinni when we are broke.

And the bagged lettuces and spinach are nice sometimes, and they come organic.

The draw is the PRICES. The maple syrup and honeys.... the jams... the breads... the little things like pepperoncinis and olives. The cooking oils and such.

And lest we not forget thy Pirate's Booty. All bow down to the great white puffed cheese snack treat. Misleading labeling or now, the dang things are not BRITE NEON ORANGE!!!
Old 11-02-2002, 02:24 PM

Woodward. Between 12-13 mile. We drove by it last night and it is HUGE!!!!!! Much bigger than the store in farmington hills!!!!!!!! I am so excited~~~Feel like the lady in the mervyn commercials with her nosed pressed against the door~OPEN...OPEN...OPEN...
Old 11-04-2002, 02:45 PM

Bellamama,

Maybe if we chant together, they will work faster: OPEN, OPEN, OPEN!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:32 PM

Hey, when is the one in RO opening? My dad lives at 13 and Crooks so this would give me an excuse to go see him.:
Old 11-21-2002, 11:42 PM

I don't know when the one in RO opens, Stephanie, but.......the one in FH OPENS TOMORROW!!! And we get paid tomorrow, so guess where I'm going while dd is in preschool?
Old 11-22-2002, 01:28 AM

Royal Oak is OPEN FOR BUSINESS!! I was there last night! I was like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks Miranda for telling me about them. Or else I wouldn't have know what Trader Joe's is!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:22 PM

I'm going to Trader Joes, I'm going to Trader Joes!!

The kids and I are roadtripping to California this weekend, and I'm gonna stop in. Not because I really need anything, but because I want to soak up the vibe

~diana ild

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 11-22-2002, 01:38 PM

Diana, remember to bring the biggest ice chest you can find!
Old 11-23-2002, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ours in Kettering (near Dayton Ohio) opened a few weeks ago. I was so excited, but it is so fricking crowded you can't move!!!! I've been three times (which is a lot for me as it is a 30 minute drive) and bought over $100 worth of stuff on my last visit.

Btw, if you're feeling decadent or indulgent try the Tom's chocolate chip cookie dough. It is so good.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:15 AM

I really don't like Trader Joes!: The produce is actually not that good (lots of it is wrapped in plastic wrap and not that fresh when you get it home--several times it has been inedible when I tried it) and the frozen dinners all have this weird taste that is scarily similar no matter what you are eating! I think a good deal of TJ is just marketing and packaging--it all looks "cooler" than stuff you can buy at Safeway, but is not necessarily better. And you can get Toms cookie dough at regular grocery stores too---but homemade (with my own hands!) is so much better, and obviously much cheaper.

Living in the Bay area I have been to lots of natural food grocery stores--and I just think TJ's is like the Emperor's new clothes--it is not that great!

User Tag List