Sugar-Free or Trying-to-be? It's May! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 202 Old 05-15-2005, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, IME, cutting out the refined sugars and grains gives me an enormous energy boost and also boosts my immune system.

Since you don't wanna go s-f until July, I think taking stock of what you're eating now and cutting back is a good plan.
#122 of 202 Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 PM

I hate my NIL, shes one of those, ohh sweetie have a slice of pie people, and she brought me chocolates and pie, and well I couldn't be rude, so I ate a piece of choclate and a sliver of pie Now I am craving sugar like crazy again.

mamade2- exercise! I find that I have a lot more energy if I exercise once a day, even if its just taking amile walk.
#123 of 202 Old 05-15-2005, 11:59 PM

another free day here
and everytrip to the grocery store gets easier and easier
and although i am some fruit here and there, i am not eating nothing but fruit...the last time i went sugar free i let myself eat as much fruit as i wanted
and i did not stay sugar free for long

i bought some carob powder at the store today, and i am going to try and make some kind of oat, carob, almond butter cookie thing...
since my dd has never had a real cookie SHE won't know the difference!
i'll let you ladies know how it goes.

so i have one question:
has anyone else had any weird detox symptoms?

i have a couple odd pimples (odd in that i never get pimples and these are on non oily parts of my face....)
and i don't want to gross people out so please skip if you can' handle a poop question
but,
i have been going #2 non stop for over a week
and now it is getting more and more thin.

i know i am eating way mor eveggies and not a lot of carbs (b/c i am doing th eno sugar, no dairy, no white flours combo)

or is my body just letting go off olllllllllllllllllllllllddddddddddddddd yucky stuff that sugar has kept inside me?

anyone else?

it is becoming almost funny, my dh is like, AGAIN????????

i have been getting thinner, i don't own a scale but my clothes tell me the loss.

AND
i have started craving meat for the first time in, well i guess i have never craved meat before
i have beena veggie for abotu 85% of my life,
but last night i would have killed for a good steak.
i still would happily eat one!
so i am trying to decide if i should try some meats or just up my tofu, beans and nuts?

any other veggies craving meat when sugar free?

mymidwife once told me when i was preg, that when i craved sugar, i should try and eat some protein first and see if that helped.

ok lots of questions and a little boasting!

i hope you all are doing well and avoiding the pie people!
love
s
#124 of 202 Old 05-16-2005, 12:18 AM

i agree:i want to hear what you guys are eating in a day!

me
break fast: 1 glass of veggie juice (lake shore orgaini brand, it has like 12 kinds of veggies in it...pretty good) and 1/4 cup frozen blue berries (dd eats these while i make breakfast, and i eat her left overs! ps the frozen fruit is great for teeting toddlers and blueberries make a fab mess!) 2 scrambled eggs and grits (nothing else added and the eggs were cooked with olive oil)

lunch: roasted broccoli (cut into chunks and cooked in a baking dish coated with olive oil at around 400 till it is golden brown on the tips...it tastes like cady!) and a piece of spouted grain bread with almond butter

snack: coconut carob drop (that is all it is)
and a primal strip (shitaki mushroom jerky, spicey!)

dinner: salad (red lettuce, radishes, and red cabage, sunflower seeds, and dressing of seaseme oil and plum vineger YUM YUM) and pasta (white flour...kind, it was my big splurge of the day!)
with homemade sauce: tomatos, zuccini, squash, mushrooms, onion and raw garlic at the end.

i meant to have a bedtime snack of ricemilk with carob powder, but stayed here too long!

so what about a day in the life of another sugar free moma?
#125 of 202 Old 05-16-2005, 11:40 AM

A high protein snack is a good energy booster in the afternoon. Try some yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, nuts, rye crispbreads with peanut butter, hummus with carrot sticks, crackers and cheese, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#126 of 202 Old 05-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Hmm, so exercise and protein for energy. Sounds good-- thanks!

Eariler someone asked about the book Sugar Blues. I haven't read that one but I do have "get the sugar out: 501 simple ways to get the sugar out of any diet" by Ann Lousie Gittleman and it has a lot of great tips and ideas. Every time I read the beginning (all about how terrible sugar is for you and why) I get re-motivated, though I still am holding off for awhile on making the big jump.
#127 of 202 Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Wow. This thread is really great now. So interesting. So many great questions. I can't remember when I last had any sugar (only a couple of days) but I'm beginning to feel more like it's not a problem and that being sugar-free is becoming a way of life for me.

I managed a couple of whole months starting mid-Jan and then since Easter I've been doing OK. I'm not doing very well on the white-flour, though I've found a nice wholemeal bread to buy so at least if I get cravings I can have bread and butter and it doesn't set off my highs and lows.

I think it just takes time to make all the changes and giving up sugar is a huge change (at least for me as it was such a big part of my life). Each time I cheat I just treat it as a single occasion, not a full giving up.

My dh is not exactly supportive, but he mostly keeps his sugar out of our home and he tends to like different things from me so unless he brings me home M&M's it's not too bad!

For me, as long as I plan my meals and make sure I have plenty of food for meals, I can manage to avoid the worst. A friend of mine is doing the GI diet - (glycemic index) which cuts out refined wheat, sugar and other stuff. She says she loves it because she doesn't get cravings. She's losing lots of weight and reckons she can stick to it for ages...

I definitely go with the idea of one day at a time. I think I would find it harder if I thought I could NEVER have coke again. But "for the moment" it's fine.

I would love to see a what did you eat today thread for this.

Typically I eat oatmeal for breakfast (made with just water and salt, if you have enough salt (1 tsp /cup of oatmeal) it doesn't need sweetening. I have raw milk with it, cream if I'm lucky. Sometimes I have 2 boiled eggs and buttered toast instead.

I often have sandwiches for lunch because I'm not organised enough to have anything else, but this often leads to cravings.... leftovers are better.

If I get hungry in the afternoon I have bread and honey, but I am really trying not too have honey on a regular basis. My evening meal, I just try and make sure I eat plenty (I'm not usually that big an eater, but with dd nursing a lot at 18 months I get hungry...) and not white flour...

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#128 of 202 Old 05-16-2005, 06:25 PM

MamaE-so glad you started the thread--I was wondering where everyone was--I was expecting an e-mail but then realized if it's a NEW thread I'm not "subscribed" duh

Anyway --we've been struggling. When we first quit we went 2 months w/ little problems but when we fell off the wagon it was soooo much harder to start again!

Our biggest challenge is ice cream! It's summer and ds LOVES ice cream and going out for a cone and to feed the resident duck is such a fun thing to do together.

I always find myself thinking "I deserve a treat" too-like someone else said---why do I think this?? ANyway my "treat" now is a smoothie and it really does satisfy my craving---for awhile

However, I find when I crave sugar and don't get it, I continue to eat and eat, trying to find something to satisfy me---ouch!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#129 of 202 Old 05-17-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismommy
Our biggest challenge is ice cream! It's summer and ds LOVES ice cream and going out for a cone and to feed the resident duck is such a fun thing to do together.

I always find myself thinking "I deserve a treat" too-like someone else said---why do I think this?? ANyway my "treat" now is a smoothie and it really does satisfy my craving---for awhile

However, I find when I crave sugar and don't get it, I continue to eat and eat, trying to find something to satisfy me---ouch!
what about making ice cream with maple syrup? that's what I make ice-cream with - I know it's not exactly sugar free but I think it's much better then using almost anything else. I don't know, maybe stevia will work.
#130 of 202 Old 05-17-2005, 09:37 AM

IIRC Cathe has an all-fruit recipe for the FP or blender that looks incredible too.
#131 of 202 Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM

I just bought Cathe's new cookbook-I definately need a food processor!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#132 of 202 Old 05-17-2005, 08:32 PM

Today's Eats:

Pre Bfast: Kefir with stevia and alcohol free vanilla extract

Bfast: oatmeal soaked overnight in full fat coconut milk and a few tablespoons whey (a la Nourishing Traditions, makes it easy to digest, and less likely to ferment in stomach and feed yeast). Added crushed pineapple and stevia after cooking...sooooo good, like pina colada oatmeal!

Snack: (today was playgroup at our house, usually I don't AM snack) mango, cheese and tortilla chips/salsa.

Lunch: rice cake with almond butter (wasn't that hungry from all the snacking!)

Dinner: Lamb burger made with crushed garlic, jullienned zucchini/carrot/onion saute, long grain rice cooked in chicken stock.

Might have before bed: "Juice" made with a couple teaspoons sugar free cranberry juice with added stevia. More kefir.

This is not really a typical eating day. A little heavy on the grains, I think I will try not to have any tomorrow. Usually I only have one fruit.
#133 of 202 Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selu Gigage
IIRC Cathe has an all-fruit recipe for the FP or blender that looks incredible too.
If anyone wasn't sure, I tried it last night (with strawberries) and it was AMAZING. So good!!!

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#134 of 202 Old 05-18-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all! Just checking in. I've got a lot going on this week, but I'm still sugar free. I've been sugar free so long now that I've lost track of what day this is. I do feel good, but I need to exercise more now. I know that would help me get off this plateau. The biggest difference for me - fewer mood swings.

Some treat ideas: unsweetened carob chips, a carob shake with banana, some kind of milk, and carob powder.

It does get easier every day, for those of you just beginning. And, this being my umpteenth time giving up sugar, it gets easier each time. :LOL If it's so easy, why do I have to keep giving it up?????? Sigh.

For me, cravings are low when I eat lots of protein and lots of fat. I also try to eat the protein first with each meal and snack.

I love the idea of a "what did you eat today" thread. If someone else starts it, I'm in. If nothing else, perusing the thread could provide us with an instant menu on a day when we're struggling.

Happy sugar-freeness!
#135 of 202 Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 PM

OMGosh! (I am a NT'er) I will have to try oatmeal with coconut milk like that! It sounds incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Today's Eats:

Pre Bfast: Kefir with stevia and alcohol free vanilla extract

Bfast: oatmeal soaked overnight in full fat coconut milk and a few tablespoons whey (a la Nourishing Traditions, makes it easy to digest, and less likely to ferment in stomach and feed yeast). Added crushed pineapple and stevia after cooking...sooooo good, like pina colada oatmeal!

Snack: (today was playgroup at our house, usually I don't AM snack) mango, cheese and tortilla chips/salsa.

Lunch: rice cake with almond butter (wasn't that hungry from all the snacking!)

Dinner: Lamb burger made with crushed garlic, jullienned zucchini/carrot/onion saute, long grain rice cooked in chicken stock.

Might have before bed: "Juice" made with a couple teaspoons sugar free cranberry juice with added stevia. More kefir.

This is not really a typical eating day. A little heavy on the grains, I think I will try not to have any tomorrow. Usually I only have one fruit.
#136 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 AM

I was wondering if tahini is comparable in protein content to nut butters. Does anyone know? I love tahini on a rice cake for a snack, so I'm hoping it can also count as "protein." Though I did read that puffed rice has a glycemic index of over 100%. I'm not diabetic, so maybe I shouldn't worry, but I was surprised to see this.
#137 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamade2
I was wondering if tahini is comparable in protein content to nut butters. Does anyone know?
Tahini has about 3 g protein per tbsp versus 4 g per tbsp for almond butter, so I'd say they're comprable in that regard. I really like mixing tahini and nut butters, especially in cookies and oatmeal.
#138 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamade2
Though I did read that puffed rice has a glycemic index of over 100%. I'm not diabetic, so maybe I shouldn't worry, but I was surprised to see this.
Yes, I think puffed rice/rice cakes are one of the worse things to eat glycemically and that affects everyone, not just diabetics. Putting the nut butter on it that has fat and protein does help, though its still very high GI.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#139 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies, we've almost made it through another sugar-free week together - hooray!

And, today is my 2 week anniversary!

Sorry, not trying to brag, just can't believe I made it this far! Things weren't looking this good at the beginning but by now, my cravings are mostly gone. That is a wonderful feeling. When I'm on sugar, I am totally driven by food. It's so liberating to have control back over my life and daily activites. And, my pants fit again - not all of them, but most of them.
#140 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM

:

I told myself I wasn't allowed to post again until I made it all the way through Day 1, but I just finished reading all 7 pages and couldn't resist saying "Hi". Hopefully I'll be re-joining you all tomorrow!

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
#141 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 06:31 PM

i am having a hard day....
i am laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate for my period and it is like an endless stream of pms
i took a preg test this morning and it was neg...and i guess that made me feel sad...even though i was not trying or anything.

my dad's cancer is back

and i am just feeling down

this is hard

i actualy had a half teaspoon o fhoney today, whihc in itself is not the big deal

it is my feelings of saddness and reckless abandon that i feel when i start treating myself with sugar...

everyday i have been mixing up
almond butter, tahini, a little coconut, carob powder, oats, and a little rice milk and eating it with a spoon....
it is like cookie dough!
and totally gives me the protein fix i need in the late afternoon

well today i felt so sad that i added in the honey.....

i just wanted to be sweet to myself

but i need to end it there b/c it is such a downward spiral once i start making excpetions

and i was totally to the point of no more cravings etc and felt more energized etc...

but this morning i felt fat and just yuck

oh well

i am still sugar free

and everything will ease up here soon, it is just cycling through me right now.

keep it up ladies.
#142 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm sorry your having a bad day chicky.

I have to swear by the whey protien shakes, folic acid, and nicin I take, It has literally cured my depression! Since your not preggers you could take 5HTP too.

I hope your day goes better!
#143 of 202 Old 05-19-2005, 10:54 PM

Chin up Moma Justice You are doing great!

Goddess 3 2005 - can you give specifics on your "depression remedy"? Have you mentioned it previously? I will try anything to help fight off the blues! Well...not anything...you know what I mean!

Hope everyone is well

~Melissa, mother of two beautiful boys, ages 6 and 8
#144 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Good morning! I'm back and excited to be sugar-free again! Yesterday was Day 1. I'm embarrassed that it took me three weeks of false starts : to make it through day 1, but I did it! Now I feel like the hard part is over. Amazingly, I already feel better physically.

Moma Justice, hang in there. Sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Today is a new day! Hope it will be better for you.

I ordered Cathe's cookbook yesterday and I'm excited to get it! Anyone made any more sugar-free recipe discoveries lately?

As someone else suggested, I would also love to see a "Sugar-Free Mamas, what's for dinner?" type of thread like the veggie mamas have. That's a great idea!

#145 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 AM

Aiti - thank you for posting that it took you 3 weeks to get there. This is where I'm at...I keep trying and failing. I make it about 1/2 a day and then fall off the wagon.
#146 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 09:03 AM

Moma Justice
#147 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moma justice
i have started craving meat for the first time in, well i guess i have never craved meat before
i have beena veggie for abotu 85% of my life,
but last night i would have killed for a good steak.
i still would happily eat one!
so i am trying to decide if i should try some meats or just up my tofu, beans and nuts?

any other veggies craving meat when sugar free?
I'm not a true vegetarian, but I have gone through vegetarian "stages". I do find myself needing to eat a lot more meat, eggs etc. when I am sugar-free. I don't understand why that is? I'm a little concerned the health implications of increasing my meat intake, but I also do believe that cravings are the body's way of telling us what we need.

#148 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
Aiti - thank you for posting that it took you 3 weeks to get there. This is where I'm at...I keep trying and failing. I make it about 1/2 a day and then fall off the wagon.

It is so hard to get through that first day when you've been off the wagon. What did it for me this time was to throw away most of the sugared stuff in the house. The only things I kept were things that don't tempt me. I hated feeling wasteful, but I felt like I had to do it. It worked.
I also ate a big breakfast yesterday of eggs scrambled in butter and olive oil, whole wheat toast spread with butter, some fruit and a glass of milk. Helped me to get the day started feeling satisfied.
Hang in there!

#149 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melis
I will try anything to help fight off the blues!
Are you taking cod liver or fish oil? I would work up to a tablespoon a day

Great article on fish oil and brain function:
http://www.doctormurray.com/newsletter/1-22-2003.htm
#150 of 202 Old 05-20-2005, 12:40 PM

I have read that sometimes a sugar craving is because you are not getting enough protein so it would make sense that when you stopped eating sugar, your body would want protein. If you don't want to eat meat, try a really hearty bean dish like chili or bean burgers.

Also, it is really important to get some good protein at breakfast - eggs, like Aiti are excellent or scrambled tofu if you don't eat eggs. Also cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page